Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo Civic vs 2v Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sujomatt
I have a B16 tranny as well, should be interesting when i head out there lol. and not a bad time for a stock ls boosted, good stuff!

yea from what i was told, hes not a good driver which is the main issue - idk lol

anything to back that statement up?

ive had numerous friends who've had ls-v turbo they never last long. and i heard from a ton of shops that it dont last long.

but then again when u have a turbo people tend to smash on it alot which is another reason why cars dont last long lol.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Damn, that Honda has some luck huh.
yea... my luck has gone down hill quite a bit lately.

Uncle has cancer again
Grandma thought had cancer but her liver is just starting to die
Saturn's transmission went
Camaro I can't afford to build back up so its apart in the garage
Civic broke
Locked keys in the civic at work
Had let time off then I thought so I can't take anytime off till new years lol.

just fantastic!

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I've come to realize that through the years of building cars you kind of just have to accept the debt and being broke all the time. I'm 25, live at home w/ parents still, and have no money in the bank. I have a trans am thats gonna be bad *** when it's done and a 2008 shelby GT. Is it worth it?.......Hell yea.
I am that guy too and im done being that guy lol
Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM

I've come to realize that through the years of building cars you kind of just have to accept the debt and being broke all the time. I'm 25, live at home w/ parents still, and have no money in the bank. I have a trans am thats gonna be bad *** when it's done and a 2008 shelby GT. Is it worth it?.......Hell yea.
I agree that spending the money is worth it, but alot of car guys (and I've definitely been guilty of it before) seem to spend on their credit cards and then pay them off slowly, much like a regular bank loan, but with horrible interest usually, or they spend the cash, but never have money in the bank, just saving to get the next part they want.

Lately, I've been trying to aquire that balance between having fun and being responsible. That's why I still haven't straightened out my fuel issue to crank up the shot, and my FAST intake is still in the trunk of my G8. It's also the reason why my G8 is still stock. I figure, why spend money modding it when I don't even own it yet.

At the same time, you can't save every penny and work until you die, never having fun (well, some people can, but I'm not one of them). It's all about that balance, and it's not easy to find it and hold onto it, especially in this game.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I agree that spending the money is worth it, but alot of car guys (and I've definitely been guilty of it before) seem to spend on their credit cards and then pay them off slowly, much like a regular bank loan, but with horrible interest usually, or they spend the cash, but never have money in the bank, just saving to get the next part they want.

Lately, I've been trying to aquire that balance between having fun and being responsible. That's why I still haven't straightened out my fuel issue to crank up the shot, and my FAST intake is still in the trunk of my G8. It's also the reason why my G8 is still stock. I figure, why spend money modding it when I don't even own it yet.

At the same time, you can't save every penny and work until you die, never having fun (well, some people can, but I'm not one of them). It's all about that balance, and it's not easy to find it and hold onto it, especially in this game.

Agreed 100%. I have never used a credit card to buy car parts. Only cash I've earned by saving up. I once took out a $3k loan for parts for the TA. The loan was a 3 year loan and I got it paid off about a year ago. I did it as a used car loan to save on interest but it was the biggest mistake ever. They took the title to the TA and I felt naked! Now I have it back and made a promise to myself never to use anything but money I already have to build my cars.

Thats also why the stang is still stock. It's got a warranty and while it's not real fast, it's an awesome DD. I've been wanting to put aside a ***** of money as well and have it as a back up just in case, but I'm getting close with the trans am and it's eating away at me not having it done! Maybe it'll be my next years new years resolution.......SAVE MONEY!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM
yfz
Teching In

Correct, stock B16 tranny
If you do end up going with a gsr tranny try to find one with lsd. Bit more pricey. Less aggressive then the b16 tranny too. Its what I have in my setup.

Last edited by yfz; 07-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

Well said. I couldn't have said it better myself. I used to be that guy also. But I moved out,am getting married,and still want to build the car. So I am working two jobs trying to save as much as possible. Maybe when I get my job back(law enforcement) waiting till Nov. 2 important election...I will then have the money to start doing this stuff. Then when my future wifey gets her teaching job after she graduates in Dec. MAYBE ONE DAY!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
yfz
Teching In

Agreed 100%. I have never used a credit card to buy car parts. Only cash I've earned by saving up. I once took out a $3k loan for parts for the TA. The loan was a 3 year loan and I got it paid off about a year ago. I did it as a used car loan to save on interest but it was the biggest mistake ever. They took the title to the TA and I felt naked! Now I have it back and made a promise to myself never to use anything but money I already have to build my cars.

Thats also why the stang is still stock. It's got a warranty and while it's not real fast, it's an awesome DD. I've been wanting to put aside a ***** of money as well and have it as a back up just in case, but I'm getting close with the trans am and it's eating away at me not having it done! Maybe it'll be my next years new years resolution.......SAVE MONEY!
Saving money is very hard when you look at forums all day and get inspired. Thats probably my biggest problem. I took a year off after highschool to 'save' for college. Long story short. I spent the majority of my money on my s10 and honda and still have huge college loans that don't even cover all my schooling.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

using credit cards to buy parts isn't all to bad depending on the terms. I have a card through summitracing and you get interest free financing for 12 months so it's not bad to get all the stuff you need and pay off the card before the terms are up. I did that for all my suspension stuff. Be careful out there guys with planning your financial futures, but also have fun too. I'm not going to judge anyone. This is the best hobbie to have and yet it's the one that can cost you more than you think. I'm lucky that I didn't start to get into modding cars until after my son was born and grown a bit and finishing up college. I'm 29 and today I just paid off the remainder of my loan for my DD and since I already live on my own and retirement is being contributed to it's time for some serious modding!!! Remember, All work and no play makes something something, go crazy. You get the idea.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Ok so I decided the civic is gonna stay simply because I barely owe anything on it. I ordered some Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods... She will live to see another day. As for the camaro: Expect a for sale thread in the next few weeks Going to get rid of some of this debt the simple way - get rid of the stuff ya really don't need that cost the most lol
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Ok so I decided the civic is gonna stay simply because I barely owe anything on it. I ordered some Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods... She will live to see another day. As for the camaro: Expect a for sale thread in the next few weeks Going to get rid of some of this debt the simple way - get rid of the stuff ya really don't need that cost the most lol
That's a good plan if you don't get too greedy with the civic. Crank the boost way up on the new internals and you might end up in worse financial shape.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

LOL yea im leaving it at the tune it has now at 13 psi. Not making that mistake again lol

and thanks dude
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright! all though i dont agree on you selling your z28, i agree on hangiong onto the sleeper civic! lol.... im trying to find a sleeper daily driver, and i think i found the one!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
alright! all though i dont agree on you selling your z28, i agree on hangiong onto the sleeper civic! lol.... im trying to find a sleeper daily driver, and i think i found the one!
What kinda sleeper are you going with? Might I suggest something with a factory charger?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 PM
yfz
Teching In

I plan to boost my civic one of these days. Probably once I finish the swap on my s10. Right now it just has a bone stock b18c in it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 PM

That's the spirit! While it sucks to see the Z28 go, consolidating your projects is the best way to save money. That's why I sold my 1994 Z28 to my brother last year. I had big plans for it, but when I started figuring out what it would cost to mod three cars it just wasn't worth it.

It's tough to be satisfied when everyone and their brother seems to be making 600+ rwhp these days, but you can enjoy the hobby without having to drop huge bank every month on new mods. Look at how many people there are on this site alone with bolt-on LT1's making 250-300 rwhp and enjoying the hell out of their cars!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

I just want something quick enough to compete with the majority of you guys, i dont like being on Glen's level lol

And I will miss the Camaro greatly.. In fact once I am better situated down the road, i plan on grabbing another or a vette.. but right now, the cheaper wins the battle lol
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM

I just want something quick enough to compete with the majority of you guys, i dont like being on Glen's level lol

And I will miss the Camaro greatly.. In fact once I am better situated down the road, i plan on grabbing another or a vette.. but right now, the cheaper wins the battle lol
You didn't know that Glenn is on everyone's level no matter what car you have? He only loses because his clutch slipped...or he missed a gear...or hit bottle was empty...or the pressure was low...or he spun the tires to 120 mph...or he was right next to you (ignore the fact that you're quite sure you saw him in your rear view mirror)

From what it sounds like, you'll probably have a 114-115 mph car once you get it all fixed if you run a similar setup to when you raced the supercharged Mustang. That's solid performance right there!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I think ill start pulling a glenn
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM

I think ill start pulling a glenn
It'd be cheaper than spending money on mods and trying to actually go faster
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juice, lets just say its gonna be a 4cyl. turbo....

Quick Reply: Turbo Civic vs 2v Mustang GT