Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2009 G8 GT vs 2010 Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2009 G8 GT vs 2010 Hyundai Genesis

This race has been a while in the making, but we never got a chance to line them up until now.

Both cars are stock. The G8 has run 13.52 @ 102.9 mph in cold air. The Genesis has run 13.9 @ 101 mph at the same track, but in the summer with 3000+ DA.

We both had a passenger and both have a 6 speed auto trans. The race was from 40 mph to about 110 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMMgkJSCcWs
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

nice run...good kill
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Good run man. I'm definitely not one to make excuses but the Gen just didn't feel like it normally does last night.

We'll have to test the theory in better weather. I know at the track his first run was the best, the Humidity was about 50%. Towards the end of the night the humidity was 99% and he ran a 14.2 @ 98. Last night it was 80+%.

None-the-less I think the G8 will still pull top end lol.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody know what those Genesis weigh? I'd be curious.

And also, what made him (don't know his name, sorry!) go with the V6 instead of the 4cyl turbo model? I would think that engine may have more potential in the end, but I know nothing about them, so I could be wrong.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

im suprised it was even that close
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightmareTA

And also, what made him (don't know his name, sorry!) go with the V6 instead of the 4cyl turbo model? I would think that engine may have more potential in the end, but I know nothing about them, so I could be wrong.
The v6 is about as quick out of the box as the 2.0T if they're pretty much maxed out. They have a very hard time making ~270whp. Although a few guys are doing Evo Turbo swaps and making ~320whp. But the car is all stock and I think that's the way it's gonna stay.

Plus the v6 had certain options you couldn't get in the 2.0T. The owner of the car isn't really into modding and going fast, just wanted a car that combined a lot of different things for a daily driver.

It weighs just under 3500.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightmareTA

Same open deck block as the ralliart lancer, inferior head (less flow), smaller turbo and tiny plumbing. It's wheezing very early, out of steam before 5k.

I saw one at the track running low 16s, IIRC it was trapping mid 80s, only mod i could tell was a BOV. They suck in stock/near stock trim.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good kill! I love your sig Juice.

I'd be interested in test driving one of the 2.0 T's. I love driving my dad's 07 Solstice GXP w/ GM Stage 2 at times. Its fun as hell for a little car
Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
The v6 is about as quick out of the box as the 2.0T if they're pretty much maxed out. They have a very hard time making ~270whp. Although a few guys are doing Evo Turbo swaps and making ~320whp. But the car is all stock and I think that's the way it's gonna stay.

Plus the v6 had certain options you couldn't get in the 2.0T. The owner of the car isn't really into modding and going fast, just wanted a car that combined a lot of different things for a daily driver.

It weighs just under 3500.
Sweet deal. Too bad it's not a few hundred pounds lighter. Thing would rip! It is a nice car. I wouldn't mind one for myself honestly, and my payments would probably be way less than the shelby! I kind of figured you may not be able to get the brembos and a few other options with the 4 cyl model. As long as he's happy with it!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Yeah,great race! We'll definitely get out there and line them up again. A dig run would be fun too.

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Haha, I told you it was going to be a good race.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good run man. I'm definitely not one to make excuses but the Gen just didn't feel like it normally does last night.

We'll have to test the theory in better weather. I know at the track his first run was the best, the Humidity was about 50%. Towards the end of the night the humidity was 99% and he ran a 14.2 @ 98. Last night it was 80+%.

None-the-less I think the G8 will still pull top end lol.
No car ever feels like it normally does when the one next to you is walking away from you.

I'm actually only half kidding. Ever notice how when you're blasting around by yourself or racing much slower cars, your car feels like a rocket, but then when you run that same car against one that's faster than yours, it feels like something's wrong? I'm pretty sure this phenomenon is responsible for half of the "I think my clutch might be slipping" excuses that have ever been used after a race.

Cars actually feel slower to me when I'm watching someone pull away from me as opposed to when I'm the one pulling or just cruising by myself. That's also why it's usually so embarrassing to lose to someone when you have a passenger in your car who has never gone for a ride before: not only did you lose, but for some reason your car doesn't even feel as fast as it normally does and you know (at least subconciously) that this fast/slow phenomenon is most likely having the same affect on the other person in your car.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 07-29-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah I know what you mean but even before the race we punched it and it just didn't 'feel' snappy like it usually does. Like I said only 1 way to find out haha.

BTW I'm headed to the track on August 14th you guys should come too!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I know what you mean but even before the race we punched it and it just didn't 'feel' snappy like it usually does. Like I said only 1 way to find out haha.

BTW I'm headed to the track on August 14th you guys should come too!
Definitely run them again in some better air to see if it makes a difference. Just know that if it does, I'm going to claim that you tuned the car or sprayed a small shot.

Damn, August 14th is a Saturday, right? Not sure if I'll be able to go, but I really want to take the bike. I just need some leather pants or I can't race. I've been thinking of taking a ride up there on the bike anyways, though, so I'll see what's goin on that day. You takin the GTO or the Regal? If I do go, I'll be ridin up Route 8 because it's 10x nicer.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

August 14th is a Saturday, yes. And I'll be taking the GTO. I am crossing my fingers for some good air. If the DA is good (sub 1000) I wanna take a shot at 11's.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

August 14th is a Saturday, yes. And I'll be taking the GTO. I am crossing my fingers for some good air. If the DA is good (sub 1000) I wanna take a shot at 11's.
If the DA is below 2500 in mid-August at LVD, I'll be shocked considering it's the second hottest month of the year. I wouldn't get your hopes up about sub-1000 DA's that time of year but we can hope!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Yeah for sure. I went August 22nd 2007 and got 1500ft so that wasn't too bad. I just don't want it to be unbearable.

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve to lower my E.T. all I need is some cooperation with the weather.

If I don't hit my goal, it's ATCO in December for me!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Yeah no doubt: I would have never guessed in a million years that a Genesis Coupe would be even somewhat hanging with a G8 GT. Isnt there over 100hp difference, with the G8 only weight 400-500lbs more?
Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I'm actually only half kidding. Ever notice how when you're blasting around by yourself or racing much slower cars, your car feels like a rocket, but then when you run that same car against one that's faster than yours, it feels like something's wrong? I'm pretty sure this phenomenon is responsible for half of the "I think my clutch might be slipping" excuses that have ever been used after a race.

Cars actually feel slower to me when I'm watching someone pull away from me as opposed to when I'm the one pulling or just cruising by myself. That's also why it's usually so embarrassing to lose to someone when you have a passenger in your car: not only did you lose, but for some reason your car doesn't even feel as fast as it normally does and you know (at least subconciously) that this fast/slow phenomenon is most likely having the same affect on the other person in your car.
^^ Yep, I'm with PSM. I've always noted that, and even seen countless "car guys" use those kind of excuses when they lost to something they didnt think they would lose too. Especially when they are at the track for the first time and dont like the numbers they are running!

Seriously, have any of you ever seen, been told about, or even heard a rumor about somebody going to the track for there first time, in a car that's never been to the track, and come away happy with there results and times?

Even with veteran street racers who know the track lingo and timeslip realities, THERE first time down the track is inevitably a let down. No matter how hard they (or you :wink told yourselves that it would be ok to only run XXXX on your first time out, you or they can't tell me that you actually did not expect to run some respectable to smokin fast time. Everyone's a "Miraculously instantaneous drag racer with mad skills" in at least a part of there mind- until that bubble gets 'popped' when they are handed there time slips at the timing booth.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Yeah no doubt: I would have never guessed in a million years that a Genesis Coupe would be even somewhat hanging with a G8 GT. Isnt there over 100hp difference, with the G8 only weight 400-500lbs more?

^^ Yep, I'm with PSM. I've always noted that, and even seen countless "car guys" use those kind of excuses when they lost to something they didnt think they would lose too. Especially when they are at the track for the first time and dont like the numbers they are running!

Seriously, have any of you ever seen, been told about, or even heard a rumor about somebody going to the track for there first time, in a car that's never been to the track, and come away happy with there results and times?

Even with veteran street racers who know the track lingo and timeslip realities, THERE first time down the track is inevitably a let down. No matter how hard they (or you :wink told yourselves that it would be ok to only run XXXX on your first time out, you or they can't tell me that you actually did not expect to run some respectable to smokin fast time. Everyone's a "Miraculously instantaneous drag racer with mad skills" in at least a part of there mind- until that bubble gets 'popped' when they are handed there time slips at the timing booth.
The Gen has 306hp.
And he was VERY happy with his 13.9 @ 101 his first time out at 3189ft DA. No let downs here.

Also the first time out in my GTO bone stock it ran a 13.0 @ 109 which I was very happy about.

My Regal first time out with my new mods it pulled 13.2 @ 106.3 which I was very happy about!

Here's the Genesis' timeslips

His last run was with the humidity at 99% and it was a 14.2 @ 98.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WE2myTSjOk

Last edited by Ju1ce; 07-29-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Get the hell out of here with your "timeslips". Don't you know this is the Dyno and Bench rac.... oh....

Well nice kill Didn't anticipate the race to be that close :o
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Juice, you know I aint talking about you. With your magic midas touch on the controls I'm just surprised that you didnt convince your engine it was a top fuel dragster and get it to run 10's.

^^ Yeah, I assume you think you got "the touch" that just seems to get cars to perform better than they "should" or normally do. You could very well have that touch, too: I've met two guys in my life that had that weird affect on cars: could take other guys cars and get them to perform better than there own drivers could. One guy swore he needed a day of driving someone else's car to "learn what it wants", then he would race it that night and pull off multi car improvements.

Also seen a guy we called the "engine guru" for aircraft turbine engines: he could listen to a jet engine idle and tell you exactly what was wrong with it, what bearings were 'tight' or wearing fast, if the burner cans were working properly, if any of the thousands of turbine blades were out of balance (even what segment of the engine they were located it), and make accurate premonitions about the oil analysis results (used to gauge engine wear, bearing wear, and which bearings/seals/pumps/etc were wearing at higher rates based on he chemical analysis of the minute shavings found in the oil).

Easy to make fun of and doubt claims like that until you've witnessed it.