Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Honorable death to 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honorable death to 2011 GT

Well today has been gorgeous as far as weather goes. 84 degrees, sunny, and not humid, so I decided to drive my 97 WS6 to work.

Over my lunch hour, I decided to pop the tops off and go on a nice cruise. As I was on my way back to the bank where I intern at cruising on the interstate, there was this nice 2011 GT 5.0 that was Grabber Blue (my personal favorite color of them), so I pulled up next to him. He checked out my car, gave me the thumbs up, and preceded to accelerate a bit but we were both stopped by the decent amount of traffic.

He pulled back to the side of me and pointed the finger for us to go. Of course right as he was doing this cars were merging into the far righthand lane for their exits, so we slowed to a 40mph roll and he honked it off and off we went.

His car sounded pretty damn good as he passed me. We both let off due to traffic (me going a little over 90mph) with him 1-1/2 cars to 2 cars out front. I scrambled to get in the righthand lane for my exit and he did the same.

We both turned and were going to same way and stopped at a stoplight and talked. Come to find out, he actually works across the street from the bank I intern at the Quiktrip gas station and is a manager. All his GT has is a Magnaflow axle-back. He used to have a 95 Formula and was complimenting me on my car and was just a really cool guy about it. His best friend also works at the same Quiktrip as a manager and has a nice silver 05 C6 Z51 and we exchanged numbers to go out cruising sometime.

My times at the track are on my sig. Sadly I lost this Pony war, but it was a nice looking ride and good guy that I lost to so no hard feelings.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

you mean some one actually got beat by a new gt!?!?!?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

nice death...no offense but I didn't know a 97' lt1 with those mods could run 12.77 in the 1/4 mile. I was always told that lt1's were low to mid 14 sec cars. If the formula is correct 1.55x8.245=12.77975. That's a very strong car you got there. If I'm wrong go ahead and correct me. Because those are the same mods I want to do to my LS1 T/A. If that's the case I'll be in the low12's-high 11's.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Good death.

Only 2 cars, by how many cars would you lose to a stock ls1 f-body.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93sspcoupe
you mean some one actually got beat by a new gt!?!?!?
lol

Good death op. The new GT's are sick!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
nice death...no offense but I didn't know a 97' lt1 with those mods could run 12.77 in the 1/4 mile. I was always told that lt1's were low to mid 14 sec cars. If the formula is correct 1.55x8.245=12.77975. That's a very strong car you got there. If I'm wrong go ahead and correct me. Because those are the same mods I want to do to my LS1 T/A. If that's the case I'll be in the low12's-high 11's.
Full exhaust, geared, stalled, DR's lt1's should be good for high 12's/low 13's. My car rolls out from the start but falls flat on it's face on top end. My 1/4 last time was 13.024@102.44 mph at 2300DA. More could be had with it if I tweaked the suspension a little bit and got a dyno tune. It runs a little rich.

Throw on full bolt-on's, gears, PTC 3600 stall and I don't see why you shouldn't be pushing 350+rwhp

And yes, I lost to a 2011 GT, as I expected to. The guy was really cool though and wasn't cocky about it though.

I wouldn't mind getting my C6 as I graduate college and buying a new GT as a daily driver and still having my TA. I think that'd be a pretty fun garage
Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unknown pontiac
Good death.

Only 2 cars, by how many cars would you lose to a stock ls1 f-body.
I could see my car being a pretty good race for a stock ls1 with the advantage to the stock ls1 up top.

Kind of sad it took this many mods to get to that point but the ls1 is a very efficient, strong motor and the 97 WS6 was my first fun car with RWD V8 and it has a lot of family sentimental value so it is here to stay.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Full exhaust, geared, stalled, DR's lt1's should be good for high 12's/low 13's. My car rolls out from the start but falls flat on it's face on top end. My 1/4 last time was 13.024@102.44 mph at 2300DA. More could be had with it if I tweaked the suspension a little bit and got a dyno tune. It runs a little rich.

Throw on full bolt-on's, gears, PTC 3600 stall and I don't see why you shouldn't be pushing 350+rwhp

Don't think so if you're talking about an LT1.

Good death, didn't lose by much considering they run high 11's stock
Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
Don't think so if you're talking about an LT1.
I was talking to "wicked383lt1" about his ls1 T/A
Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Good death, not bad for a 13 year old geared/bolt on car. Honestly I havent seen any 5.0s in Iowa at all. Whats the street scene like up in DSM these days?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1forever
Good death, not bad for a 13 year old geared/bolt on car. Honestly I havent seen any 5.0s in Iowa at all. Whats the street scene like up in DSM these days?
Downtown consists of the same old crap. A whole bunch of Honda's, crotch rockets who think they are the **** because they can beat cars (kinda like comparing apples to oranges), and every once in awhile an actual fast car. A whole bunch of guys switch from cars to bikes because they lack the knowledge or willpower to make a car fast and then talk **** to car guys about how their 600cc-1000cc crotch rocket will beat them (really, no ****?)

A lot of the actual fast cars steer clear of downtown due to the new noise ordinances on exhaust systems they are enforcing (pretty much anything but stock systems could be pulled over if the officer felt like it)

Most of the f-body, GTO, G8's, Vettes, Mustangs, etc. stick to the strip, car shows, and cruises that I've seen.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

That sucks, I've been tempted to come up there some friday night just to check it out. Bikes are ok, but like you said there are just too many douchebags that go buy a stock rocket and think they're untouchable. Everything dealing with cars/bikes these days seems to turn into a big pissing match sooner or later.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1forever
I've been tempted to come up there some friday night just to check it out. Bikes are ok, but like you said there are just too many douchebags that go buy a stock rocket and think they're untouchable. Everything dealing with cars/bikes these days seems to turn into a big pissing match sooner or later.
Yeah it has became sad because literally 3/4 of the guys with bikes I have met are complete douchebags. The other 1/4 being respectable and chill. And it seems like half of the guys down there just love to start **** and start fights for no apparent reason. Apparently some people are still stuck in high school... To each is their own though

You are more than welcome to come down sometime. If the weather is nice people will be out. You will also run into a lot of slow Hondas and the occasional fast one. Take your car out to eat for some rice!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice run and honorable death. LT1 TA's are one of my favorite bodystyles of all time.

And it seems that about 95% of the people I know on bikes are tools. Just my observation. I do have a couple buddies that have them and are pretty reserved though..
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Nice death.. I think if you had a good tune you probably would run door to door with him! oh and we both have the same plan lol!! Im waiting till I get outa college to look for a used vette.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Nice death: you hung better than I thought you would!

Quick way to shut up 99% of the crotch rocket crowd:
First trick is challenge the non-stretched or lowered bikes to a 0-60 race. Make sure you emphasize how badly they SHOULD be able to beat you because all the magazines say bikes kick *** in that area. Nearly zero of the douchebag sport bike owners will take you up on that challenge. Make sure you emphasize how hard your car digs, how sticky the tires are, etc. etc. you will scare them off because they would never live down getting beat by a car 0-60.

Lowered bikes, or lowered and stretched: challenge them to a road race- even if it's just around a big, empty parking lot and timed. Make sure they understand that your car is setup for handling, with sticky tires (sport bikeowners never know what constitutes a sticky tire for a car so you can generally throw any name out there and make it sound like a badass tire and they will believe it). Also tell them you are a road racer (lie your *** off if you need to). They will be thrown out of the cliche if they lose to a car in the twisties so they will clam the hell up fast.

Then dig in the wound: say
"so is that all your top of the line, supersport bike has is straightline rolling performance? Why didnt you just buy a Vmax?"
"Hey, I heard Starbucks is having a cappuccino sale. Might want to hurry over there and join the Ducati crowd."
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

I'm prepared...still haven't found any willing to play around Dayton Ohio.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys realize that they raced from 40-90 which isnt much and the 5.0 was 2 cars ahead, therefor im not that surprised by it only being 2 cars ahead. His lt1 is a a good running car it seems by the times! So nice death man, its nice to lose sometimes because thats what makes it fun and keeps us modding them!

On a side note.... I think I'm going to move to your town so I can work at that gas station, seems like they make bank haha
Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I know WTF??? I want to work at a gas station and buy myself a vette
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice death: you hung better than I thought you would!

Quick way to shut up 99% of the crotch rocket crowd:
First trick is challenge the non-stretched or lowered bikes to a 0-60 race. Make sure you emphasize how badly they SHOULD be able to beat you because all the magazines say bikes kick *** in that area. Nearly zero of the douchebag sport bike owners will take you up on that challenge. Make sure you emphasize how hard your car digs, how sticky the tires are, etc. etc. you will scare them off because they would never live down getting beat by a car 0-60.

Lowered bikes, or lowered and stretched: challenge them to a road race- even if it's just around a big, empty parking lot and timed. Make sure they understand that your car is setup for handling, with sticky tires (sport bikeowners never know what constitutes a sticky tire for a car so you can generally throw any name out there and make it sound like a badass tire and they will believe it). Also tell them you are a road racer (lie your *** off if you need to). They will be thrown out of the cliche if they lose to a car in the twisties so they will clam the hell up fast.

Then dig in the wound: say
"so is that all your top of the line, supersport bike has is straightline rolling performance? Why didnt you just buy a Vmax?"
"Hey, I heard Starbucks is having a cappuccino sale. Might want to hurry over there and join the Ducati crowd."
Or you could just build a car to spank em in a straight line from a roll. That would be the ultimate **** talking stopper! I love me a nice 900 whp car that will take on 1000's and whatnot. Prob never going to happen in my case but hey it's a thought! LOL.