Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 gto vs challenger srt8

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
so u guys are sayin that a c5 would lose to freakin challenger srt8 on the highway? i find that hard to believe, i mean the challenger in theory makes more power but its got litterally hundreds of pounds and shitty areodynamics, to where i would think at high speeds the stock power out put would be negated.
whaaaa...?

who said it would lose? if a ls1 or better corvette loses to a stock challenger on the highway it needs a tune up or driver
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My aunt has both. Bone stock srt8 in silver, bone stock 99 z51 corvette. The Corvette is MUCH zippier from stops and low speed acceleration (ie turning onto on ramps).
That brings up the issue of gearing and weight (regarding turning and rolling starts).

so u guys are sayin that a c5 would lose to freakin challenger srt8 on the highway? i find that hard to believe, i mean the challenger in theory makes more power but its got litterally hundreds of pounds and shitty areodynamics, to where i would think at high speeds the stock power out put would be negated.
A Challenger SRT-8 automatic (just like the Charger and 300C) will run identical 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. On the highway, provided they are in the powerband, they will be even.

The C5 would start to pull on the Challenger above 120mph when it would hit 4th gear AND the aero would be a bigger factor.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
whaaaa...?

who said it would lose? if a ls1 or better corvette loses to a stock challenger on the highway it needs a tune up or driver
2nd (automatic) gear roll-on at 55-60mph and no stock C5 (non-Z) is going to pull. 70mph - well that is the dead spot of 3rd so that is a different story.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE_KOON
That might be true but i bet my exhaust only car would keep with your 408 as of right now and as for his i really wouldn't waste my gas on it even when he gets it right......
, uuummm, no. you would not beat my car. your on crack if you think your mild bolt-ons ls1, with no suspension work, and street tires, is going to "keep up with" my, 408, built trans, 12bolt rear'd, full suspension with 315 DR's. BWAHAHAHA. as for john's car, once he gets a stall and tune, he will probably be pretty quick, if it doesn't fall apart, i was looking it over today and he has not taken care of that car at all.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That brings up the issue of gearing and weight (regarding turning and rolling starts).

A Challenger SRT-8 automatic (just like the Charger and 300C) will run identical 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. On the highway, provided they are in the powerband, they will be even.

The C5 would start to pull on the Challenger above 120mph when it would hit 4th gear AND the aero would be a bigger factor.

2nd (automatic) gear roll-on at 55-60mph and no stock C5 (non-Z) is going to pull. 70mph - well that is the dead spot of 3rd so that is a different story.
I raced a SRT-8 from 55-60 to 120 twice in my '04 GTO (M6) and it only pulled to my front bumper both times. The GTO was bone stock at the time and, according to my tuner, had the worst case of false knock he had ever seen. Pretty sure M6 LS1 Corvettes have a bit more highway steam than a shitty running 04 GTO...

(Oops. Ignore the sig... that car is long gone.)

Last edited by RatherSideways; 08-11-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Old sig.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RatherSideways
I raced a SRT-8 from 55-60 to 120 twice in my '04 GTO (M6) and it only pulled to my front bumper both times. The GTO was bone stock at the time and, according to my tuner, had the worst case of false knock he had ever seen. Pretty sure M6 LS1 Corvettes have a bit more highway steam than a shitty running 04 GTO...

(Oops. Ignore the sig... that car is long gone.)
Killed the driver, electronic nannys and all.

It's delusional to think a stock SRT-8 in it's prime spot in 2nd gear will only pull a car on an LS1 GTO with a bad tune. That is really laughable considering it's a driver's race vs. an 05/06.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Killed the driver, electronic nannys and all.

It's delusional to think a stock SRT-8 in it's prime spot in 2nd gear will only pull a car on an LS1 GTO with a bad tune. That is really laughable considering it's a driver's race vs. an 05/06.

Geez... Who knew driving an auto was so difficult?

Delusional? Are you suggesting that it didn't happen? What's delusional is to think that street races go down in some sort of vacuum where the circumstances are optimal. BTW, I posted that race over on LS1GTO and your comment was "sounds about right".
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Geez... Who knew driving an auto was so difficult?

Delusional? Are you suggesting that it didn't happen? What's delusional is to think that street races go down in some sort of vacuum where the circumstances are optimal. BTW, I posted that race over on LS1GTO and your comment was "sounds about right".
Obviously the details of your story have changed.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know Deuuce: I would have to say the SRT8 is a good freeway race with a C5 and LS2 GTO, but at the track I just dont buy it.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Are the times and the hp listed in your sig stock? Just so you are aware, there have been quicker times and higher traps posted by bone stock LS1 Corvettes.

No one wins when you magazine race.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Launching!

You are delusional if you think one of the lead sleds would pull a m6 ls1 vette.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took a stock SRT Challenger down the track on a mag rental (i was there testing a 20" Nitto DR for Super Chevy). Cold never having driven ANY challenger before, letting it shift on it's own and it went 12.8 @109. another guy gets in it and runs the exact same but a slightly lower mph (by like .5 or so). This was on a 1200' DA day with the baro and the air dropping quickly. I wouldn't call them slow stock, definately enough to take on a stock C5 out unless driven by "Ranger" lol. At least at that track, on that day, with that Challenger (before i get ball-peened)

Last edited by TonyGXP; 08-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Don't know Deuuce: I would have to say the SRT8 is a good freeway race with a C5 and LS2 GTO, but at the track I just dont buy it.
The top timeslips are all virtually identical. What makes an LS2 GTO so special?

Are the times and the hp listed in your sig stock? Just so you are aware, there have been quicker times and higher traps posted by bone stock LS1 Corvettes.

No one wins when you magazine race.
Mine is obviously not stock. And no stock C5s have either. The wouldn't be close on that day as well.

Originally Posted by RED94Z28
You are delusional if you think one of the lead sleds would pull a m6 ls1 vette.
See above.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

From my EXPERIENCE racing several C5 vettes both auto & M6 when I was just a canned tuned,cai,cat back, and cat delete. I would have to say the edge has to go to the SRT. Yes the M6's were slightly better races than the auto. Also these cars werent "bone stock" either, some had the same mods as me(minor bolt ons). I dont get why ppl think these SRT'S arent good highway cars, they have killer topend. Yea aero isnt great but when you got decent HP and a damn 3.06 gear in the rear it still pulls and pulls. When my car was BONE STOCK I hit 175mph and it sure as hell didnt take light years to get there.

Hell one race ill never forget is when I walked one by a couple cars up to 100mph from a red light, then when we caught the next light together and I rolled down both passenger side windows to show the guy I had two other grown men in the car. Then I went on to tell the guy I also had a full trunk of laundry. lol Priceless

Side note: This was when I first got my car and srt's werent very common and most ppl didnt have the slightest idea of what they were about. So yea that dude was in a state of awe that his super light LS powered SPORTS car just got walked by a family sedan with damn near a family and their laundry riding along.

Last edited by GotHemi?; 08-14-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Teching In

And no stock C5s have either
You need to do your homework, then.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

You need to do your homework, then.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...uick-list.html

FRCs don't really count.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Teching In

They don't?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-corvette.html

I see you already know about this one:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=41

A WS6 is what, 300lbs heavier than a C5?

Seriously man... back when the LS1 cars were new and being raced stock, many F-bodies and Corvette's were in the 12s. I recall C5Z's getting into the 11s stock.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

They don't?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-corvette.html

I see you already know about this one:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=41

A WS6 is what, 300lbs heavier than a C5?

Seriously man... back when the LS1 cars were new and being raced stock, many F-bodies and Corvette's were in the 12s. I recall C5Z's getting into the 11s stock.
Fastest stock SRT-8: 12.56 @ 111mph: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/tra...one-stock.html

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50114

Tuned they run 113-114mph at Atco.

Again, driver's race from a roll vs. a Challenger SRT-8 automatic. Or really, from a dig too.

A stock C5 has no chance against a tuned SRT-8.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
From my EXPERIENCE racing several C5 vettes both auto & M6 when I was just a canned tuned,cai,cat back, and cat delete. I would have to say the edge has to go to the SRT. Yes the M6's were slightly better races than the auto. Also these cars werent "bone stock" either, some had the same mods as me(minor bolt ons). I dont get why ppl think these SRT'S arent good highway cars, they have killer topend. Yea aero isnt great but when you got decent HP and a damn 3.06 gear in the rear it still pulls and pulls. When my car was BONE STOCK I hit 175mph and it sure as hell didnt take light years to get there.

Hell one race ill never forget is when I walked one by a couple cars up to 100mph from a red light, then when we caught the next light together and I rolled down both passenger side windows to show the guy I had two other grown men in the car. Then I went on to tell the guy I also had a full trunk of laundry. lol Priceless

Side note: This was when I first got my car and srt's werent very common and most ppl didnt have the slightest idea of what they were about. So yea that dude was in a state of awe that his super light LS powered SPORTS car just got walked by a family sedan with damn near a family and their laundry riding along.
Wow so you were already at a HUGE weight disadvantage stock and you added three grown men and some laundry so another 600 pounds atleast and then you walked it by 2 cars? At a 1000+ pound disadvantage you walked a similarly horse powered car by two cars? Man C5s must only run 14s. Not trying to be an *** but come on that doesnt add up at all.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Fastest stock SRT-8: 12.56 @ 111mph:
Did you miss the last post in that Corvette thread? Granted that was with the premium driver mod. I wonder what that car would have turned when tuned.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Did you miss the last post in that Corvette thread? Granted that was with the premium driver mod. I wonder what that car would have turned when tuned.
Mid-teens with stock gears per the C5 fast list.

Quick Reply: 06 gto vs challenger srt8