Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

FINALLY ran into a 6.0 GTO...this one was cammed.....and a 04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kills and I'm guessing he overinflated his numbers as well. A lot of people I run with tend to do the same thing. Its annoying but its pretty common. Either way, his car was definitely strong because of the mods he had and the motor he started with.

However, his tires were 28.8 inches, which is WAY too tall, slowing him down tremendously and bringing whatever his gear ratio was, to a much more stagnant ratio. In your opinion, do you think if he had some normal 26" tires and his extra passenger was yanked, that the roll races wouldve been closer or he even edging you out? That tall of a tire absolutely KILLED his gearset.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys, was pretty fun races. Wish the Cobra owner knew his car better. I would have liked a piece of that.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kills and nice job on the telling of it! Any ETA on those track numbers?
Sept-Nov when it cools off. At midnight here it is still close to 90*

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice kills, man! Your car is badass. Too be we couldn't get you up here for some runs before I sold mine. Oh well, I'll just have to build another one soon.
Yea I'd love to get into some of the racing where you are. Seems you guys are always having a blast! Let me know what you get next and plan to do that way I can mod accordingly. LOL

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Good Kill Stoppie! I'm doubting his 472rwhp claim though. Sounds like someone was drinking the coolaid. Norm for big cam, ported heads stock intake LS2 GTO's is 420-440rwhp. A FAST or heavily ported stock intake will net you another 20rwhp... porting a LS2 TB is worthless for power btw.
He definately had more than 420-440rwhp or else he had alot of weight taken out of the car. I don't know which one but it sounded right to me. A stock LS1 motor with a cam can make alittle over 400rwhp...the LS2 is a 6.0 so give it alittle more...heads are probably better and then port them...sounds like a 450-460rwhp motor to me.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
However, his tires were 28.8 inches, which is WAY too tall, slowing him down tremendously and bringing whatever his gear ratio was, to a much more stagnant ratio. In your opinion, do you think if he had some normal 26" tires and his extra passenger was yanked, that the roll races wouldve been closer or he even edging you out? That tall of a tire absolutely KILLED his gearset.
I was thinking the same thing but out there his gears were not lasting long at all. Not sure how aggressive the M6 is out of the GTO but he was not holding gears in long and that suprised me.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill. Driver mod FTW

GTO's have a MN12 trans, so shorter 1-4 than a stock geared fbody. Probably 3.73's with the trans and 3.41/2/3's in the rear.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Impossible, no way a 331 beat a LSx. Fords suck *** and can't be made fast. Good kills man.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
You know more than me man. I'm just saying what he said his car made. He sure did have a donkey dick cam though! Made me think for a second I might not be posting a thread on LS1tech tonight.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Good Kill Stoppie! I'm doubting his 472rwhp claim though. Sounds like someone was drinking the coolaid. Norm for big cam, ported heads stock intake LS2 GTO's is 420-440rwhp. A FAST or heavily ported stock intake will net you another 20rwhp... porting a LS2 TB is worthless for power btw.
Stopsigns explanation was pretty spot on for my reply.

Why are you guys saying this? He already said he didn't know about the intake.. It could have a ported 102mm for all we know.
If he was full weight and only made 430Rwhp it would have been ugly.

470Rwhp is not out of the norm by any means with a 346/mid-large size cam/heads/FAST. So take that into consideration and add a few more cubes.. Why could he not be at 470Rwhp with a stock intake/good ported heads/cam/UD pulley/good flowing exhaust/etc etc etc... Not to mention even if you don't believe that, it could have been a generous dyno by 10Rwhp or so. A cam only ls2 will make around 430Rwhp or so with a good sized cam (like Stop said this had)... Add a nice ported set of heads- ~30Rwhp... There is your power.

I see no reason at all why he would lie... And why 472Rwhp or whatever it was? Why not 475 or 470Rwhp. I have zero reason not to believe it.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Patrick G just had an LS2 vette hit 500rwhp cam only (stock heads) with a perfect intake/tune setup. Strong doubters in here.

All in your setup, off the shelf cam and a LS2 intake isn't gonna do it though
Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
A nice H/C setup (AFR heads/good size cam etc etc) is good for around 470Rwhp in a 346 M6 with an ls6 intake (marginally better than ls2 intake)...
ummm, No. A wildly elaborate H/C setup "might" make 470whp on a 346 with stock LS6 intake and TB. But you're talking 1 7/8" headers, cutouts, heads flowing in excess of 330cfm AND milled down for a nearly 12.1 DCR, custom camshaft, and an aggressive tune.

Run of the mill H/C setups on stock cubed LS1 cars typically make 420-440 with supporting mods if they still have the stock LS6 intake.

FWIW, guy who helped tune my car had a 2006 GTO H/C/I (ported 90/90) and put down 502rwhp with an automatic trans w/3600 stall. These were some nice AI 243 heads, and he is a tuner, so he has probably spent plenty of time on his own car.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Good races.

My take on the rest of the BS:

-Lots of mild LS1 owners and exhaust only LS2 owners commenting on LS2 power gains in here. As mentioned above, a big cam only LS2 can go 430 through an A4 in a GTO in average DA. The LS2 is a beast.

-Ported LS2 TB/Intake can net up to 15-18rwhp with an average of at least 11-12. TB porting is about 3-4rwhp of that and mostly accounts for improved throttle response. I dropped a consistent 1.5 tenths and gained 1.5 MPH every run from porting the TB/Intake, rest of car stock at the time.

-M6 guys who want the big donkey dick cams but wont/cant launch it out over 5,000 RPMs should leave them to us big stall A4 guys (or just avoid digs).
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrDavid
ummm, No. A wildly elaborate H/C setup "might" make 470whp on a 346 with stock LS6 intake and TB. But you're talking 1 7/8" headers, cutouts, heads flowing in excess of 330cfm AND milled down for a nearly 12.1 DCR, custom camshaft, and an aggressive tune.

Run of the mill H/C setups on stock cubed LS1 cars typically make 420-440 with supporting mods if they still have the stock LS6 intake.

FWIW, guy who helped tune my car had a 2006 GTO H/C/I (ported 90/90) and put down 502rwhp with an automatic trans w/3600 stall. These were some nice AI 243 heads, and he is a tuner, so he has probably spent plenty of time on his own car.
Typo... Or brain fart. I don't know why I said ls6, I meant FAST.

An AFR head (untouched)/custom cam/good tune and full bolt ons (stock ls6) can/should hit 440Rwhp (and then some).

A decent setup (nice heads/decent cam/FAST/bolt ons/good tune) should make 470Rwhp with a 346... An ls2 should hit that with "shitty" heads.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Good races.

-Lots of mild LS1 owners and exhaust only LS2 owners commenting on LS2 power gains in here. As mentioned above, a big cam only LS2 can go 430 through an A4 in a GTO in average DA. The LS2 is a beast.

-Ported LS2 TB/Intake can net up to 15-18rwhp with an average of at least 11-12. TB porting is about 3-4rwhp of that and mostly accounts for improved throttle response. I dropped a consistent 1.5 tenths and gained 1.5 MPH every run from porting the TB/Intake, rest of car stock at the time.

-M6 guys who want the big donkey dick cams but wont/cant launch it out over 5,000 RPMs should leave them to us big stall A4 guys (or just avoid digs).
I agree with you. The LS2 is a nice motor. You guys have it lucky. Aluminum block and a very nicely designed pushrod motor. I'm very jealous and wish my 5.0 was along those lines.

This GTO did not make 420-440rwhp. It would have been much uglier. I think his setup was done right, his car was just very heavy I think. This guy was no small fry either. 6'2 I'd guess 250lbs...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MrDavid

Hey do you know the owner of the GTO? It was a red one with wha looked like polished 19" wheels. Couldn't tell what they were but he had some track wheels also, but I've never seen him at Greer or Shoals. Maybe he goes to Shady or Union. His name was Mark.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No idea. I remember a guy with a red(ish) GTO wanting to run my old pewter TA a few years ago until he found out I had nitrous. He was hispanic though so I doubt his name was Mark.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Good races.

Wow hope Im not part of the blanket statement just because I "only" have exhaust.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Wow hope Im not part of the blanket statement just because I "only" have exhaust.
Well there is SOOOOO much difference between the two... I'm one of those dumb ls1 owners I guess.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Good races.

my 06 m6 gto made 422rwp cam only.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Just interesting that all the facts always come from the near stock guys. Just sayin. Dont have to feel attacked over it but is it not true? The SR&K section is full of near-stock genius. All anyone has to do to build a heavy motor is come into this section and read a few posts from the near-stockers and its 9 second car all day from there.

Originally Posted by bh353
my 06 m6 gto made 422rwp cam only.
That leaves out a ton of variables. Namely, I would bet that its not in the 240 range of duration or even the high 230s. Were talking about big cammed LS2s here, like MS3/4, Polluter, Mega Death....etc 240 duration range cylinder counters.

If you made 422 cam only on one of the big cams your either in very high DA or something isnt right.

I agree with you. The LS2 is a nice motor. You guys have it lucky. Aluminum block and a very nicely designed pushrod motor. I'm very jealous and wish my 5.0 was along those lines.

This GTO did not make 420-440rwhp. It would have been much uglier. I think his setup was done right, his car was just very heavy I think. This guy was no small fry either. 6'2 I'd guess 250lbs...

Either way I bet any big cammed LS2 GTO is not expecting a close run or to get yanked by a N/A SN95. That was a good showing by you. Would have liked to be there to see it go down.

Nice kill.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just interesting that all the facts always come from the near stock guys. Just sayin. Dont have to feel attacked over it but is it not true? The SR&K section is full of near-stock genius. All anyone has to do to build a heavy motor is come into this section and read a few posts from the near-stockers and its 9 second car all day from there.
Yea, you are SOOOOOOOO much more modded than all of us.

Talk about blanket statements.

Aren't you just cam only?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Hey do you know the owner of the GTO? It was a red one with wha looked like polished 19" wheels. Couldn't tell what they were but he had some track wheels also, but I've never seen him at Greer or Shoals. Maybe he goes to Shady or Union. His name was Mark.
How far are you from Shady? My buddy won the Import shootout down there last month, in a Dodge at that.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Yea, you are SOOOOOOOO much more modded than all of us.

Talk about blanket statements.

Aren't you just cam only?
The difference is I dont sit and bench race numbers so deep in every thread to where Im throwing out facts about what I dont have. If I give advice or make a statement about what makes what power at least I have some experience with it rather than just what I've read.

Beyond that its just an opinion so take it for what its worth. Every 50 page BS thread in this section is full of opinions and bias and its just the way it is here. You'll either agree with me, stay neutral, or disagree that fine but the part about speaking on what you have and know is what it is, so by all means, please tell me exactly what combo will give an LS2 GTO what through what trans, I apparently dont know what I'm talking about here.