Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

FINALLY ran into a 6.0 GTO...this one was cammed.....and a 04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Just interesting that all the facts always come from the near stock guys. Just sayin. Dont have to feel attacked over it but is it not true? The SR&K section is full of near-stock genius. All anyone has to do to build a heavy motor is come into this section and read a few posts from the near-stockers and its 9 second car all day from there.

That leaves out a ton of variables. Namely, I would bet that its not in the 240 range of duration or even the high 230s. Were talking about big cammed LS2s here, like MS3/4, Polluter, Mega Death....etc 240 duration range cylinder counters.

If you made 422 cam only on one of the big cams your either in very high DA or something isnt right.

Either way I bet any big cammed LS2 GTO is not expecting a close run or to get yanked by a N/A SN95. That was a good showing by you. Would have liked to be there to see it go down.

Nice kill.
you are right im don't have a giant cam..its only a 231/236 .610 .610..i would put my tiny cam up against any of those cams you mentiond by the way..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bh353
you are right im don't have a giant cam..its only a 231/236 .610 .610..i would put my tiny cam up against any of those cams you mentiond by the way..

Yeah your right. Big cams only "sound" mean. They dont do **** when put against giant stalls or correct combos. BRB, gotta tell all the MS4 and TREX guys in the "Fastest" list that they need to bump down to a Torqer2.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference is I dont sit and bench race numbers so deep in every thread to where Im throwing out facts about what I dont have. If I give advice or make a statement about what makes what power at least I have some experience with it rather than just what I've read.
please tell me exactly what combo will give an LS2 GTO what through what trans, I apparently dont know what I'm talking about here.
I was pretty spot on with my numbers.. I was even spot on with the outcome of the race. I think I have a small idea of what I am "guessing" about.
You told me I was wrong, I never said you were wrong. Funny thing is, I was right.

Originally Posted by bh353
That isn't a tiny cam by any means... Just in the last few years the LsX crowd has considered that a "small" cam. People consider my cam "tiny" yet I outrun every "donkey dick cam" car I know as well as a VAST majority I see on here.

Yeah your right. Big cams only "sound" mean. They dont do **** when put against giant stalls or correct combos. BRB, gotta tell all the MS4 and TREX guys in the "Fastest" list that they need to bump down to a Torqer2.
It doesn't take an ms4/trex/etc to run fast, that has been proven over and over. A well put together setup will outperform a big cam car any day of the week.
If you truly think that, you have a lot to learn.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

ok dude so your gonna tell me a custom speced cam won't run with an of the shelf cam? its not all about peak hp either..my car is a daily driver not a track car.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have raced two Ms4 cars (one 6.0 cam only and one PRC heads FAST)... I destroyed both from a dig.. Walked the 6.0 HARD from a roll and walked the other one by about 2 1/2 lengths and was still pulling at 120mph.

Yes... An average big cam car can't do **** against a correctly set up small cam car.
I am not a hater against big cams.. My white car had an Ms4... But guess what? I am matching those times with "more tame" mods, more weight, MUCH small cam. Next track visit I will surpass its ET and MPH while still having more "tame" mods and weighing more.

It is the COMPLETE setup, period.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12

It doesn't take an ms4/trex/etc to run fast, that has been proven over and over. A well put together setup will outperform a big cam car any day of the week.
If you truly think that, you have a lot to learn.
That is true but people have been making that argument to shoot down big cams for years now. Any well spec'd combo can be made to run fast. HOWEVER, a well spec'd BIG combo will generally be the ones in the Fastest list on any GM, GTO, CTS-V,....etc board. 230 cam'd LS2 GTO M6s have a hard time breaking into the low 12s with most drivers.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is true but people have been making that argument to shoot down big cams for years now. Any well spec'd combo can be made to run fast. HOWEVER, a well spec'd BIG combo will generally be the ones in the Fastest list on any GM, GTO, CTS-V,....etc board. 230 cam'd LS2 GTO M6s have a hard time breaking into the low 12s with most drivers.
I don't believe I ever said anything about a correctly set up big cam car VS a small cam correctly set up car.
Even in that case, the smaller cam car can still be right there with it.

I have been talking average this entire time... Why would you bring up the best?

I will smash an average big cam setup... I have a "baby" cam by what most consider it. 226/228 .588 114.. I am still full weight/had an ls6 intake/ported TB/hand ported/milled 317s/373s/etc...
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

also those bigger cams lack one thing and that is trq..show me a big *** came that has big trq.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just interesting that all the facts always come from the near stock guys. Just sayin. Dont have to feel attacked over it but is it not true? The SR&K section is full of near-stock genius. All anyone has to do to build a heavy motor is come into this section and read a few posts from the near-stockers and its 9 second car all day from there.
LoL. My car has a 402 stroker in it. I just never updated my sig. I have modded, H/C/I/Nitroused and stroked many a LS motor. I was just ******* with ya.

If your car is indeed near stock then stay out of the "this will run this" convo.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
If your car is indeed near stock then stay out of the "this will run this" convo.
I'm not even sure if he has a cam... Yet he was talking down to us like we should get a clue about modding, then come talk to him about stuff.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not even sure if he has a cam... Yet he was talking down to us like we should get a clue about modding, then come talk to him about stuff.
LOL i felt the same way, which is why I posted I hope I wasnt included in the blanket statement.

On a side note a friend of mine works at FAST, they are located here, and said the LS2 intake flowed the worst of all intakes on LS motors. He said the LS1 intake flowed better.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Please....you clowns crack me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QsdOaYRneQ

I was running 12.2s on bolt ons alone with the videos to back it up. 1.6 short times on the stock suspension. All in +2,000ft DA. Now its got that cylinder counting maniac in there and still launches just as brutal as it did in those videos running H/C/I/E Fbodies. What you think I'm still ******* around in the low 12s after I added that cam (which in turn brought the stall up)?

No need to try and call out my credibility because I have **** to back it up beyond clever posts.

Yeah, no your right. Im all stock, and it runs mid 13s.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

You made the blanket statement. I guess this is your first cammed and modded car? Grats!!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was running 12.2s on bolt ons alone with the videos to back it up. 1.6 short times on the stock suspension. All in +2,000ft DA. Now its got that cylinder counting maniac in there and still launches just as brutal as it did in those videos running H/C/I/E Fbodies. What you think I'm still ******* around in the low 12s after I added that cam (which in turn brought the stall up)?

No need to try and call out my credibility because I have **** to back it up beyond clever posts.

Yeah, no your right. Im all stock, and it runs mid 13s.
My point is... You cam in saying that **** like you had something above what the majority of people have in here. When in reality you have the same or less. You copy/pasted my quote saying it like I am stock or you have SO many mods on me or you would run faster than me.
We are the clowns.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My point is... You cam in saying that **** like you had something above what the majority of people have in here. When in reality you have the same or less. You copy/pasted my quote saying it like I am stock or you have SO many mods on me or you would run faster than me.
We are the clowns.
Maybe you should show them a pic of your beast
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QsdOaYRneQ
Wonder what people would think if my TBSS sounded like that
Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Wonder what people would think if my TBSS sounded like that
That it probly has a aftermarket cam...
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
That it probly has a aftermarket cam...
I doubt it, most don't even know what the SS means on it.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Maybe you should show them a pic of your beast
My ***** stock.... DUH!