Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

FINALLY ran into a 6.0 GTO...this one was cammed.....and a 04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy FINALLY ran into a 6.0 GTO...this one was cammed.....and a 04 Cobra

Well ran into a guy that had a nice looking GTO. It was camming pretty hard compared to my car. It always seems GM motors just cam so damn hard. Well after talking alittle he said it was cammed and it put down 472rwhp and I forgot the torque (4 something). He told me my car looked nice and he had a friend with him and his friend said "You have a 331 stroker in that don't you?" that suprised me and I said I did and he said "Yea my boy told me about your car". I told the guy in the GTO I had been wanting to run one and asked if he wanted to. He smiled and said sure so we agreed to meet back in 30 mins. I noticed it looked like his car had 19" wheels if I had to guess. After hearing all of Ju1ce's kills and the GTO guys on here I figured I had my hands full...

Well he did show back up but he had a friend with him and had different wheels on. His friend was in a sonic blue 04 Cobra with chrome stock wheels and it looked like the Goat was on solid black SSR type wheels that I see on 03/04 Cobras. but it was dark so maybe I'm wrong. We shot the **** for a while. I had asked my friend if it was possible for a cammed GTO to make that much power and he asked if it had aftermarket heads on it. So I asked the guy and he said when he had the motor apart he ported the stock heads. Not knowing alot about the heads and all of the GM motors I just gave him a "cool". lol Past that I think his only mods were 1 7/8" longtubes (nice choice I told him), Spintech exhaust (thought this was only a Mustang thing ), and ported TB is what he said. 04 Cobra had pulley, JLT intake, MGW, stock headers, X pipe, and Bassani exhaust. Kid looked to be 20 maybe and said he just got the car 2 months ago.

So lets do this I said. I told them I wanted to go from a dig. And the GTO guy said he figured I was going to say that and that is why he went and got his other wheels. I looked and he had 305/45/18 they looked kinda dumb on his car because of how tall they were. So we agreed to run from a dig. I told him I had to get gas first. So they followed me to the gas station. I filled it up all the way full to get as much weight over the rear as I could. Then I set the tire pressure at 17psi. Off we go...

FIRST RUN: GTO gets along side me in the left lane. 04 Cobra stays behind me. I pull up alittle and the 04 Cobra pulls up to. So I get out of the car and run to his door and tell him "stay back alittle bit, I'm gonna heat my tires up and I don't want to throw crap on your car" he nodded and I did a quick little burnout. GTO does one also but just a rolling burnout, no stand still for him. I back up and get on my marks best I can tell. GTO has a passenger and I tell him that I will honk it off. He agreed. I bring the RPMs up to 3,500rpms and honk 3 times. On the 3rd honk I slip the clutch fast and the tires grab it was over by this point. I see the GTO raise up in my side mirror but I jump out a car length and I see the GTO falling pretty fast. I run it out only to 3rd gear and let out. GTO was behind 4 lengths or more. He came along side me and said lets do it again.

SECOND RUN: I don't do another burnout and the GTO does a stand still for what seemed like 3 minutes. We line up and I said I will honk them off. He agreed again. I bring the RPMs up to 4,000rpms this time. I honk 3 times and I slip the clutch alittle. Tires bite and the GTO falls back again. Pretty much same results.

N/A 5.0 - 2
N/A GTO - 0
04 Cobra - ??

At this point he said no more runs from a dig and we pull into a parking lot to talk. His friend asked if I would do a 40mph roll. I said no I don't do roll racing. He finally talked me into a 20mph roll. So we went out and lined them up on a 6 lane highway. Me, GTO, and 04 Cobra in far lane.

THIRD RUN: I left it in 1st gear and my RPMs were around 3,000. I honk 3 times and this time it was much closer. GTO and I were neck and neck for a second and then I slowly started pulling. I shifted and didn't drop back any but everytime he shifted he would drop back some. I ended up alittle over 1 length by 4th gear and then put another length on him by 6,700rpms in 4th when my rev limiter hit. (around 120)

N/A 5.0 - 4
N/A GTO - 0
04 Cobra - 0

FORTH RUN: We caught the redlight up the road and were all 3 lined up next to eachother. I said lets go! And the GTO driver said no. He said
"20 roll again" I nodded and when light turned green we went to 20mph. This time he honked them off real quickly but we both nailed it at the same time. 04 Cobra was asleep and fell back. This time I launched forward a fender and steady pulled. He held better this time at my rear bumper until I hit 3rd as he slowly fell back. By the end of 4th again I had maybe a car and a half on him. Most fun I've had in a while!!! Cool guys too. Just wasn't as impressed with the GTO as I see on here. After reading Ju1ce's kills I figured this GTO would need a F/A-18 to take it down.

N/A 5.0 - 6
N/A GTO - 0
04 Cobra - 0
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good kills man, you're just lucky that it wasn't Ju1ce's car otherwise you would have lost . Sounds like a fun time and some very quick cars!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Launching!

i been meaning to ask you about some beginner mods for a 5.0 stang. the guy across the street from me has one he's gonna let go of dirt cheap, its either a 94 or 95, i popped the hood and its a 5.0. the body looks like crap, no dents but the paint sucks, the bumper is cracked. but the motor is in decent shape. i dont want to go internal, but want to give it a little bite, and maybe clean it up for the wife. i always had a soft spot for this body style.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill! The GTO's can be tricky to launch from a dig, I had one. He must have had some work done out back to fit those tires because they have trouble fitting a 275 stock. What kind of times are you running at the track? A cammed LS2 goat is a quick car, they're nothing to take lightly from a roll.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill!

I'm gonna say this one will go at least 100 posts.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
Nice kill! The GTO's can be tricky to launch from a dig, I had one. He must have had some work done out back to fit those tires because they have trouble fitting a 275 stock. What kind of times are you running at the track? A cammed LS2 goat is a quick car, they're nothing to take lightly from a roll.
His wheels seemed to stick out slightly but that could have been because of the tires the way it looked. The parking lot had the lights off so it was hard to see. He didn't mention him having traction problems or what he did to the car other than go fast mods.

Anyways haven't had my car at the track yet. Will be going soon though.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by the jester 812
i been meaning to ask you about some beginner mods for a 5.0 stang. the guy across the street from me has one he's gonna let go of dirt cheap, its either a 94 or 95, i popped the hood and its a 5.0. the body looks like crap, no dents but the paint sucks, the bumper is cracked. but the motor is in decent shape. i dont want to go internal, but want to give it a little bite, and maybe clean it up for the wife. i always had a soft spot for this body style.
Just PM me with any questions you have.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Teching In

That salt must taste pretty bad.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good read....nice kills.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your friend must be one smart guy.

I knew that outcome before it ever happened.. Would have been bad if he didn't go get tires though. I'm going to guess he hooked, if he spun you would have pulled a good 2-3 right off the bat.
I bet I was right on with his trap speed too.. Was he full weight? Did you look at the engine? I would be surprised if the stock intake got him to 475... With stock castings as well... He mention what cam? Just curious on his setup is all.

Good kills dude.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Impossible. All mustangs are slow.

Oh, and you spelled fourth wrong.

Nice kills; I'm not surprised.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Well ran into a guy that had a nice looking GTO. It was camming pretty hard compared to my car. It always seems GM motors just cam so damn hard. Well after talking alittle he said it was cammed and it put down 472rwhp and I forgot the torque (4 something). He told me my car looked nice and he had a friend with him and his friend said "You have a 331 stroker in that don't you?" that suprised me and I said I did and he said "Yea my boy told me about your car". I told the guy in the GTO I had been wanting to run one and asked if he wanted to. He smiled and said sure so we agreed to meet back in 30 mins. I noticed it looked like his car had 19" wheels if I had to guess. After hearing all of Ju1ce's kills and the GTO guys on here I figured I had my hands full...

Well he did show back up but he had a friend with him and had different wheels on. His friend was in a sonic blue 04 Cobra with chrome stock wheels and it looked like the Goat was on solid black SSR type wheels that I see on 03/04 Cobras. but it was dark so maybe I'm wrong. We shot the **** for a while. I had asked my friend if it was possible for a cammed GTO to make that much power and he asked if it had aftermarket heads on it. So I asked the guy and he said when he had the motor apart he ported the stock heads. Not knowing alot about the heads and all of the GM motors I just gave him a "cool". lol Past that I think his only mods were 1 7/8" longtubes (nice choice I told him), Spintech exhaust (thought this was only a Mustang thing ), and ported TB is what he said. 04 Cobra had pulley, JLT intake, MGW, stock headers, X pipe, and Bassani exhaust. Kid looked to be 20 maybe and said he just got the car 2 months ago.

So lets do this I said. I told them I wanted to go from a dig. And the GTO guy said he figured I was going to say that and that is why he went and got his other wheels. I looked and he had 305/45/18 they looked kinda dumb on his car because of how tall they were. So we agreed to run from a dig. I told him I had to get gas first. So they followed me to the gas station. I filled it up all the way full to get as much weight over the rear as I could. Then I set the tire pressure at 17psi. Off we go...

FIRST RUN: GTO gets along side me in the left lane. 04 Cobra stays behind me. I pull up alittle and the 04 Cobra pulls up to. So I get out of the car and run to his door and tell him "stay back alittle bit, I'm gonna heat my tires up and I don't want to throw crap on your car" he nodded and I did a quick little burnout. GTO does one also but just a rolling burnout, no stand still for him. I back up and get on my marks best I can tell. GTO has a passenger and I tell him that I will honk it off. He agreed. I bring the RPMs up to 3,500rpms and honk 3 times. On the 3rd honk I slip the clutch fast and the tires grab it was over by this point. I see the GTO raise up in my side mirror but I jump out a car length and I see the GTO falling pretty fast. I run it out only to 3rd gear and let out. GTO was behind 4 lengths or more. He came along side me and said lets do it again.

SECOND RUN: I don't do another burnout and the GTO does a stand still for what seemed like 3 minutes. We line up and I said I will honk them off. He agreed again. I bring the RPMs up to 4,000rpms this time. I honk 3 times and I slip the clutch alittle. Tires bite and the GTO falls back again. Pretty much same results.

N/A 5.0 - 2
N/A GTO - 0
04 Cobra - ??

At this point he said no more runs from a dig and we pull into a parking lot to talk. His friend asked if I would do a 40mph roll. I said no I don't do roll racing. He finally talked me into a 20mph roll. So we went out and lined them up on a 6 lane highway. Me, GTO, and 04 Cobra in far lane.

THIRD RUN: I left it in 1st gear and my RPMs were around 3,000. I honk 3 times and this time it was much closer. GTO and I were neck and neck for a second and then I slowly started pulling. I shifted and didn't drop back any but everytime he shifted he would drop back some. I ended up alittle over 1 length by 4th gear and then put another length on him by 6,700rpms in 4th when my rev limiter hit. (around 120)

N/A 5.0 - 4
N/A GTO - 0
04 Cobra - 0

FORTH RUN: We caught the redlight up the road and were all 3 lined up next to eachother. I said lets go! And the GTO driver said no. He said
"20 roll again" I nodded and when light turned green we went to 20mph. This time he honked them off real quickly but we both nailed it at the same time. 04 Cobra was asleep and fell back. This time I launched forward a fender and steady pulled. He held better this time at my rear bumper until I hit 3rd as he slowly fell back. By the end of 4th again I had maybe a car and a half on him. Most fun I've had in a while!!! Cool guys too. Just wasn't as impressed with the GTO as I see on here. After reading Ju1ce's kills I figured this GTO would need a F/A-18 to take it down.

N/A 5.0 - 6
N/A GTO - 0
04 Cobra - 0
Be prepared for the BS flags. Way to represent the SN95 5.0 crowd
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by snake95
Be prepared for the BS flags. Way to represent the SN95 5.0 crowd
HE is only down around 60Rwhp IIRC and weighs a considerable amount less... I'm sure he had the driver mod over the GTO owner as well (even if by a little).
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Just PM me with any questions you have.
This. Dude knows his ****.

Ju1ce, why the bitterness?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
I bet I was right on with his trap speed too.. Was he full weight? Did you look at the engine? I would be surprised if the stock intake got him to 475... With stock castings as well... He mention what cam? Just curious on his setup is all.

Good kills dude.
I'm guessing he was full weight. And no I didn't look at his engine, was too dark and I didn't ask. I know some about LSX motors but not alot. So I wasn't sure what his motor was or wasn't capable of making. I knew 472rwhp sounded kinda high but his cam sounded huge! Maybe I'm just used to my baby cam.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

HE is only down around 60Rwhp IIRC and weighs a considerable amount less... I'm sure he had the driver mod over the GTO owner as well (even if by a little).
Driver mod, for sure, funny you said the 60rwhp part as I just sent him a message asking what the GTO owner had to say after losing to a car with around that much less rwhp. Either way, most GTO owners I've met are tools unless they can back up their **** like Ju1ce who can fly with minimal mods. I just have seen it all when it comes to people doubting the ol' 60s design pushrod 5.0, so I am expecting nothing less in this thread.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

I'm guessing he was full weight. And no I didn't look at his engine, was too dark and I didn't ask. I know some about LSX motors but not alot. So I wasn't sure what his motor was or wasn't capable of making. I knew 472rwhp sounded kinda high but his cam sounded huge! Maybe I'm just used to my baby cam.
Some bigger heads and cam on your combo and you would make a lot of people scratch their head when it comes to an NA SN95 5.0
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ah... My guess is he had a FAST setup... That or a generous dyno.

It wouldn't be impossible with the stock intake but unlikely.

A nice H/C setup (AFR heads/good size cam etc etc) is good for around 470Rwhp in a 346 M6 with an ls6 intake (marginally better than ls2 intake)... He has a few more cubes... Kind of depends on how well his heads were ported.

Either way, 475Rwhp.. he had a pretty well built setup.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake95
Some bigger heads and cam on your combo and you would make a lot of people scratch their head when it comes to an NA SN95 5.0
I already have people scratching their head. His friend afterwards didn't act like he believed my car was a 331 that or he thought I had naws. The only reason my car makes so low RWHP is because of the block. If I had a 4 bolt main...... she would be straight nasty.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ah... My guess is he had a FAST setup... That or a generous dyno.

It wouldn't be impossible with the stock intake but unlikely.

A nice H/C setup (AFR heads/good size cam etc etc) is good for around 470Rwhp in a 346 M6 with an ls6 intake (marginally better than ls2 intake)... He has a few more cubes... Kind of depends on how well his heads were ported.

Either way, 475Rwhp.. he had a pretty well built setup.
You know more than me man. I'm just saying what he said his car made. He sure did have a donkey dick cam though! Made me think for a second I might not be posting a thread on LS1tech tonight.