Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 Z28, Heads/Cam/100 Shot vs Pullied GT500

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Z28, Heads/Cam/100 Shot vs Pullied GT500

My buddy and I were cruising in the Z28 and PSM was on his bike, out looking for a little trouble. There were alot of cars out, but sometimes it's tough to find someone who's willing to play.

The only thing that seemed up for a run was a 1985ish Corvette that was about as ugly as I've ever seen. It was a blue convertible with some kind of awful ground effects and a flame paint. Some guy and his girlfriend/wife were cruising in it and he kept punching it off every light and every time he got next to me. The road we were cruising on isn't good for racing, but it looked terribly slow, so we were thinking about just leaving it in 4th gear (40-50 mph) and just playing with him.

Before we got the chance to mess around, PSM cruises up next to us and yells, "GT500" and points behind us. PSM then got behind me and the GT500 guns it past me. At that point my buddy says, "**** that vette, go after that!" I got up next to him and we cruised down to the highway and got a chance to line up.

My Car: 2002 Z28, 6-speed, Heads/Cam/100 Shot/Bolt-Ons, 4.10's, one passenger

His Car: 2007 GT500, pulley, cold air intake, mufflers, tune, heat exchanger, one passenger. He said it made 556 rwhp and 538 rwtq.

The first run we had no idea of his mods, so I figured I'd try him on motor. We lined up at 40 mph, but there weren't really any honks, so he hit it and I followed suit. He jumped out and then I missed 3rd. By the time I got it back into gear he was well out on me and pulling hard.

At that point PSM lined up with him (he's got a thread for his race).

My friend was like, "that thing moved out, you better spray the **** out of him if we get another run."

We jumped off the next exit and he said he was game for another race, so we flipped around and got back onto the highway. We lined up at about 40 mph, both in 2nd gear and ran to about 130 or 135 mph.

The first honk was mine and he jumped out because I didn't realize that he was honking too, haha. I didn't follow him and we lined up again. You can faintly hear him honk it off for the second race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1m0jsOQ50I

After that race we lined up once more from about 60 mph, both in 3rd gear. We didn't get that run on video, but by 130/135 I had about two cars on him. I'm not sure if he got heat soaked, or maybe I got a better hit on the spray since I don't have a purge so the first run it took a second. Also, I just hammered it instead of rolling into it, since I knew it would hook no problem from 3rd gear.

Both great races, and the guy was cool as hell and his car was badass! We pulled over after and ended up talking for like an hour. He said he had been looking for a race since he got his new mods on the car. The first thing he asked when we pulled over was what I had done and we exchanged info about our cars. He was really stoked after the race and said he couldn't believe he got such a good run and that he'd be talking about it for a long time.

Nothing better than a good, clean race with nothing but good things to say afterward!

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet runs! Nothing like running into a nice guy thats willing to test his car out all for fun. You did good against it too, GT500's are no joke!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome runs, it always makes the whole experience that much better when the guy you race is actually cool and not a douchebag.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys, they were fun races for sure! One of the best parts was that we didn't talk to him before so we had no idea what was gonna happen. Always makes it interesting
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Nice run! Looks like he had the seatcover mod! LOL!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Haha, they were already asking for pics of the passenger on SVT.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:35 PM

This is from August, but I'm bumping it up because only 5 replies (with 2 of them being mine) is weak
Old 12-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
This is from August, but I'm bumping it up because only 5 replies (with 2 of them being mine) is weak
Good race man. Your car is strong. GT500's make great power but they are just so heavy and have the aerodynamics of a barn
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thread from the dead!

You pulled pretty good on him up top, wasn't expecting that.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Yeah, it was a cool race because I didn't talk to him before hand, so I had no idea what the outcome was gonna be. I see the car around sometimes, so I wonder if he's gonna mod up more over the winter. I'd love to run him again next year.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it was a cool race because I didn't talk to him before hand, so I had no idea what the outcome was gonna be. I see the car around sometimes, so I wonder if he's gonna mod up more over the winter. I'd love to run him again next year.
Are you doing anything to your car over the winter?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you guys think? Should we ban him for bringing back an old thread?

That guy was cool as hell that night. They were even fun runs on the 600. It's funny that I had actually run him the year before in my Z28 when he was stock.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by corysmach1
Are you doing anything to your car over the winter?
First up, I have to fix my broken ring gear. I decided to swap my 4.10's for 3.73's so that I can get 140-145 mph out of 4th gear. Along with that I'm ditching the God-awful spool for an Eaton posi. The spool was my worst mod to date, hands down. Also, I need to fix my fuel issue on the spray, so I can up the shot if I want. I think a Racetronix hotwire kit might fix it.

All those parts have been ordered and I hope to have the car back on the road in January.

After that I'm going to get new tires and install my FAST 90/90 intake setup. A new cam might be in the works as well.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
What do you guys think? Should we ban him for bringing back an old thread?

That guy was cool as hell that night. They were even fun runs on the 600. It's funny that I had actually run him the year before in my Z28 when he was stock.
I don't believe there is actually a rule about not bringing back old threads. (if there is, I've never seen it, haha)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Teching In

First up, I have to fix my broken ring gear. I decided to swap my 4.10's for 3.73's so that I can get 140-145 mph out of 4th gear. Along with that I'm ditching the God-awful spool for an Eaton posi. The spool was my worst mod to date, hands down. Also, I need to fix my fuel issue on the spray, so I can up the shot if I want. I think a Racetronix hotwire kit might fix it.

All those parts have been ordered and I hope to have the car back on the road in January.

After that I'm going to get new tires and install my FAST 90/90 intake setup. A new cam might be in the works as well.

I don't believe there is actually a rule about not bringing back old threads. (if there is, I've never seen it, haha)
hell yeah man it should roll out
Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm hoping so. Before I did the heads I hit it with a 125 shot a couple times and it made a good difference, so I figure if I can hit it with a 150 on top of the heads then I should be a pretty hard target to hit.

I also want to play with the cam. It made great power cam only, but the grind is a very old design and wasn't intended for use with aftermarket heads. I figure I can probably get a cam that makes more power with better driveability due to the improved technology out now.

An electric cutout will allow me to use another 10 rwhp and 14 rwtq on the street as well
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick

That was a great run. Never talked to the guy in person but I always see him hanging out down there with his wife. Seems like a cool guy.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

I agree man get a better cam and cutout and go to the 150 shot and you will be very hard to beat.....