Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Witnessed: GTO vs 11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Yeah its HAS to be he couldnt drive. No way a slow *** heavy 14 second GTO could even be in the same zip code as one in a race.
GTO's are quick but they are a little on the fat side, Im not bashing GTO's or any other gm but just pointing out facts.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaRATM
GTO's are quick but they are a little on the fat side, Im not bashing GTO's or any other gm but just pointing out facts.
An ls2 gto is not a 14sec car though they run toe to toe with a stock ls1 fboy and are commonly in the mid-low 13s stock...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madden
I can't put up a good arguement about the stall on a new mustang 5.0 but the 5 speed previous generation 05 + mustangs are getting about a half second reduction with a stall I believe. I find it very hard to belive that a good stall wont get that 60' down. The one I raced only got a 2.0 60'. A stall would get it into 1.7 range I would think. That would probably be around a .5 second quarter mile reduction. The fact is that you better hold on to to your lunch if you have a stockish ls car or a new 5.slow might just eat it.

Oh and you always have to worry about the DA.
Have you driven and raced with a new 5.0 GT? I have. There computer tune is hideously restrictive. It pulls power off a stop launch (even with traction control disable). It pulls power BEFORE a shift, then slowly re-enters it AFTER the shift. A stall on a stock tune will not help more than a tenth or two max until you get the ECU to give you full power: the stock tires and suspension can handle all that the ECU controlled engine can throw at it from a dig, also: any more torque (higher stall) and traction becomes an issue with those tiny asz 235 width tires.

Don't go throwing numbers at me if you havent even driven a new stock 5.0 hard. BTW: I borrowed another coworkers 5.0 this last tuesday and took it out for another spin- this time in cooler weather than last time (85deg versus 100deg). Damn thing still cant spin the tires barely at all from a full throttle dig... stupid computer. It did DESTROY my rental V6 2011 Camaro though with me giving the 5.0 owner driving my camaro a full intersection headstart. Passed him around 80mph lol

Also gave a early 2000's Mustang GT a beatdown a couple minutes later- there was two guys in it and it was obviously stock so I never posted it.

Again: how many races/WOT miles do any of you guys have in a 5.0?

Cams do make a great difference unless you are talking about "hot rod" cams and then there is no point at all but sound, Comp Cams XFI Mother Thumpr series cams and the VSR 127500's help just as much as a cam in a LS car.
I firmly believe, and have read on the stang forums, that cam upgrades are a going to end up being a popular power giver for the 5.0 crowd. And with popularity comes affordability. Like Bubba said, they are getting nice increases across the board like a LS engine does: 35-50rwhp worth.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

I test drove the 5.0 with all the nannies on. I never took off the line really hard but from a low roll I was surprised there wasn't more pull in the car... now I know why. I just don't see why the car companies are trying to release a PERFORMANCE car that's so limited by the computer. The 370z is the same way, even with VDC (traction control/stability control in 1) off you still cannot do stand still burnouts (actually have to pull a connection) and it still tries to correct slippage a little bit.

Sadly this is only the beginning of this technology, give it enough years and all cars will have their top speed electronically limited depending on the speed limit of the road you're on. That will be a sad day indeed.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL I think the quickest stock GTO ran a 12.6. And GTOs weigh roughly the same as 03-04 Cobras. They actually have Aussie braces that make them so heavy and 99% of owners remove the braces and plates so they weigh really around 3600 which is the same as an 03-04 Cobra. If you want to talk heavy lets discuss some Mopar vehicles.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Sticks n Stones;13872469]Have you driven and raced with a new 5.0 GT? I have. There computer tune is hideously restrictive. It pulls power off a stop launch (even with traction control disable). It pulls power BEFORE a shift, then slowly re-enters it AFTER the shift. A stall on a stock tune will not help more than a tenth or two max until you get the ECU to give you full power: the stock tires and suspension can handle all that the ECU controlled engine can throw at it from a dig, also: any more torque (higher stall) and traction becomes an issue with those tiny asz 235 width tires.

Don't go throwing numbers at me if you havent even driven a new stock 5.0 hard. BTW: I borrowed another coworkers 5.0 this last tuesday and took it out for another spin- this time in cooler weather than last time (85deg versus 100deg). Damn thing still cant spin the tires barely at all from a full throttle dig... stupid computer. It did DESTROY my rental V6 2011 Camaro though with me giving the 5.0 owner driving my camaro a full intersection headstart. Passed him around 80mph lol

I have not driven one but that video above shows me in my black camaro putting a beat down on a brand new auto car at the track. I stopped afterwards and visited with the driver(who was a very cool guy) for a few minutes. The car was showroom stock and I may end up helping the gentleman with some future mods at my shop. The car ran a 2.0 60' and trapped right at 110 mph in 2700 DA...... pretty darn impressive with a bone stock car. I never said that a tune wasn't important. I have tuned about 200 cars/trucks in the last year. For an aggressive stall to function properly it needs a proper tune for sure. I thought you were saying that a stall wasn't a very effective mod for the new stang due to the 6 speed auto..... that would not be a correct statement. That the torque management in the tune would prevent the stall from working correctly in the new mustang would be correct. And of course a good stall must have drag radials along with it or you can't put the power down.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
An ls2 gto is not a 14sec car though they run toe to toe with a stock ls1 fboy and are commonly in the mid-low 13s stock...
I never said what a gto will run or is capable of running, did you fail english?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

I never said what a gto will run or is capable of running, did you fail english?
Lol ....
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Have you driven and raced with a new 5.0 GT? I have. There computer tune is hideously restrictive. It pulls power off a stop launch (even with traction control disable). It pulls power BEFORE a shift, then slowly re-enters it AFTER the shift. A stall on a stock tune will not help more than a tenth or two max until you get the ECU to give you full power: the stock tires and suspension can handle all that the ECU controlled engine can throw at it from a dig, also: any more torque (higher stall) and traction becomes an issue with those tiny asz 235 width tires.

I firmly believe, and have read on the stang forums, that cam upgrades are a going to end up being a popular power giver for the 5.0 crowd. And with popularity comes affordability. Like Bubba said, they are getting nice increases across the board like a LS engine does: 35-50rwhp worth.

The stop launch can be dissabled and it was an issue early on but is now resolved, the converter would still benefit more than .2 even without tuning but it would need better tires but anyone with a brain would know that already. And you are correct about the cams to come in the 5.0
Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Lol ....
gotta love it when people don't read.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Teching In

LOL I think the quickest stock GTO ran a 12.6. And GTOs weigh roughly the same as 03-04 Cobras. They actually have Aussie braces that make them so heavy and 99% of owners remove the braces and plates so they weigh really around 3600 which is the same as an 03-04 Cobra. If you want to talk heavy lets discuss some Mopar vehicles.
Mopars are heavy but they have a bad *** motor to help with that issue.

Or we could talk about the new Camaro or maybe 2500 Duramax trucks, Pointless debate about weight because anything can be made fast as long as your pocket supports it and if were comparing stock to stock that means the GTO is a hog compared to a stang.

Im not a fanboy of any make or model but i give credit where it is due and look at facts. GTO's can be real quick and so can mopars.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an aggressive stall to function properly it needs a proper tune for sure. I thought you were saying that a stall wasn't a very effective mod for the new stang due to the 6 speed auto..... that would not be a correct statement. That the torque management in the tune would prevent the stall from working correctly in the new mustang would be correct. And of course a good stall must have drag radials along with it or you can't put the power down.
Sorry I didn't clarify. What I meant was because 1st runs out so fast due to its lower trans gearing, the car is shifting ALOT when you are WOT- which means the ECU is killing power over a wide swath of a dig to 100mph run. It feels like half the time the engine is in "Torque Management" power loss mode: but it's probably only 1/3 of the time. Couple that with the TM takeout at launch and a IMO a stall wouldn't benefit it that much.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mopars are heavy but they have a bad *** motor to help with that issue.

Or we could talk about the new Camaro or maybe 2500 Duramax trucks, Pointless debate about weight because anything can be made fast as long as your pocket supports it and if were comparing stock to stock that means the GTO is a hog compared to a stang.

Im not a fanboy of any make or model but i give credit where it is due and look at facts. GTO's can be real quick and so can mopars.
So its ok for a Mopar to be a hoss because it has a badass 425 hp motor that helps out but a GTO is way overweight because it weighs300 pounds less and only has a 400 hp motor that doesnt.

And you brought up weight of cars not me. What was the fastest stock GTO time again?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

So its ok for a Mopar to be a hoss because it has a badass 425 hp motor that helps out but a GTO is way overweight because it weighs300 pounds less and only has a 400 hp motor that doesnt.

And you brought up weight of cars not me. What was the fastest stock GTO time again?
Dude give it a rest, GTOs are like 6,000lbs and the pathetic LS2s are not even on the same level as the almighty 6.1 hemis.

So what if they are faster stock for stock and mod for mod? Doesnt mean ****!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Once again read back and you will see that YOU brought up talking about weight, not me. stock ls2 gto's , and by stock i mean stock production weight, they are mostly in the mid to high 13's. Still the point is a STOCK 5.0 4v mustang will smoke the stock GTO. Now that being said there are plenty of ill talented drivers that make a disgrace of cars they own on a daily basis and the OP most likely witnessed one.

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Dude give it a rest, GTOs are like 6,000lbs and the pathetic LS2s are not even on the same level as the almighty 6.1 hemis.

So what if they are faster stock for stock and mod for mod? Doesnt mean ****!
ok, stock for stock.. Stock SRT8 vs Stock ss camaro or t/a= pretty good race even with the mopar being heavy.

now ill be a smartass like this 06 GTO guy

I can tell already by the sarcasm that your a gm fan boy and all other cars are inferior to your amazing lsX engine and amazingly engineered tank! The GTO would be great if you live in the hood where stray bullets fly like flags at banks and running from the cops in a heavily armored and 14 sec vehicle is a must. FYI, the sarcasm will never make your point know but it shows how much of an idiot you really are. Now ill go back to being my normal self for a while until someone else decides to show their STUPID.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

[The GTO would be great if you live in the hood where stray bullets fly like flags at banks and running from the cops in a heavily armored and 14 sec vehicle is a must.]

LOL.................

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

ok, stock for stock.. Stock SRT8 vs Stock ss camaro or t/a= pretty good race even with the mopar being heavy.

now ill be a smartass like this 06 GTO guy

I can tell already by the sarcasm that your a gm fan boy and all other cars are inferior to your amazing lsX engine and amazingly engineered tank! The GTO would be great if you live in the hood where stray bullets fly like flags at banks and running from the cops in a heavily armored and 14 sec vehicle is a must. FYI, the sarcasm will never make your point know but it shows how much of an idiot you really are. Now ill go back to being my normal self for a while until someone else decides to show their STUPID.
Fan boy? Please the GTO was the only american car to appeal to me at all, and i know what they can do. Just gets a bit tiring hearing how heavy and slow they are, oh yea compared to what? they are NOT sports cars, comparing them to F bodies is not even fair, the gto has a nice interior, rear seats that can be used by adults and is much much more refined, i mean sure its 300lbs heavier but the LS2 and shorter gear ratios more then make up for that.

Plus it has been shown multiple times that they are great runners even for weighing in at 3 tons, look at juice1 for example, or hell look at my stock times and races, or anyones that knows how to drive.

My sarcasm came from the fact that you seem to think its ok that the mopars are heavier yet then the GTO "they have a badass motor to make up for it" but the 300lb lighter gto has 20 less hp and its a fat big and doesnt have a badass motor to make up for it.

And please look back at my posts if you must, i am far from a fanboy, i just like sticking to the facts But your immediate name calling and insults shows how far more intelligent you must be then me.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Fan boy? Please the GTO was the only american car to appeal to me at all, and i know what they can do. Just gets a bit tiring hearing how heavy and slow they are, oh yea compared to what? they are NOT sports cars, comparing them to F bodies is not even fair, the gto has a nice interior, rear seats that can be used by adults and is much much more refined, i mean sure its 300lbs heavier but the LS2 and shorter gear ratios more then make up for that.

Plus it has been shown multiple times that they are great runners even for weighing in at 3 tons, look at juice1 for example, or hell look at my stock times and races, or anyones that knows how to drive.

My sarcasm came from the fact that you seem to think its ok that the mopars are heavier yet then the GTO "they have a badass motor to make up for it" but the 300lb lighter gto has 20 less hp and its a fat big and doesnt have a badass motor to make up for it.

And please look back at my posts if you must, i am far from a fanboy, i just like sticking to the facts But your immediate name calling and insults shows how far more intelligent you must be then me.
Show me a post where i was bashing a GTO or any other LSx engine at that, i like GTO's but i get sick of people... like you and others that bash mopars. Mopar vehicles more than than likely have a better interior than your GTO or any other but your's mainly since its so special. Maybe it offended you because i didn't say that i am a big fan of the LS engines and just made a statement towards the nit wit who decided to bring a mopar into a 5.0 4v and GTO battle. My bad i thought by chance you may be smart enough to notice why i said that. Next time i will be more conscious of your feelings and let you know that i know your precious GTO and mopars are in the same class when it comes to engines and weight. Now that that little rant is over have you realized yet that even though the SRT8 is heavy that it still runs good for that weight and maybe your GTO is heavy and still runs good for that weight? So now i will give you the opportunity to let more blasphemy ooze form the hole you call a mouth.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Show me a post where i was bashing a GTO or any other LSx engine at that, i like GTO's but i get sick of people... like you and others that bash mopars. Mopar vehicles more than than likely have a better interior than your GTO or any other but your's mainly since its so special. Maybe it offended you because i didn't say that i am a big fan of the LS engines and just made a statement towards the nit wit who decided to bring a mopar into a 5.0 4v and GTO battle. My bad i thought by chance you may be smart enough to notice why i said that. Next time i will be more conscious of your feelings and let you know that i know your precious GTO and mopars are in the same class when it comes to engines and weight. Now that that little rant is over have you realized yet that even though the SRT8 is heavy that it still runs good for that weight and maybe your GTO is heavy and still runs good for that weight? So now i will give you the opportunity to let more blasphemy ooze form the hole you call a mouth.
Um, you sound kind of like an annoying high school kid.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss1129
Um, you sound kind of like an annoying high school kid.
Thats exactly what i am how did you guess? Oh thats right because im educated and intelligent. Thanks did i offend you because i know how to spell? I should really watch what i say or this guy shows up with a 1 liner and blows me away.

Quick Reply: Witnessed: GTO vs 11 5.0