Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So I learned today that cop cars are not fast.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Cops are getting damn sneaky these days. Around my area there's a black 05' STi with all the goodies and whatnot, anyways its said to put down 600sum whp, i dont know the exact numbers. But it turns out its a cop (its all black) and he tries toying with you on the highway and if you race back he pulls you over. Theres also been rumors of an 04' Cobra in an area about a half hour away from me doing the same thing. Ya gotta watch these days, damn cops
Isn't that entrapment?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LuxuryLS6
Isn't that entrapment?
I believe it's only entrapment if he follows you for a certain number of miles and keeps trying to get you to race and you finally bite after a long while.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
How do people think cop cars are fast? Seriously? It's just a Crown Victoria.
I had some guy tell me this: did u know all cop cars have corvette engines? They are fast, and the highway patrol cars are supercharged. I said WTF!!! Are u serious? He said yeah, cool hu! I said no, your an idiot! Not cool!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
I believe it's only entrapment if he follows you for a certain number of miles and keeps trying to get you to race and you finally bite after a long while.
They wouldn't have to follow me for miles. I'll fetch right away lol
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LuxuryLS6
Isn't that entrapment?
I work for a police dept. in Alabama. Yes that would be entrapment, the official definition is a defense in which the defendent claims that he or she was induced by a public official-usually an undercover agent or police officer-to commit a crime that he or she would otherwise not have committed.
Therefore that claim of the cop following people, getting them to race and then pulling them over would not look too good in court.
The CVs are 4.6 SOHC and yes they are slow. They will run down most SUVs and 4-cyl cars. However, people that have actually chased cars will tell you that it is extremely difficult at times to run someone down especially if you have to stop and turn around, get around traffic, etc. Most departments in my area do not allow for chases unless a felony has been committed against a person. You have to consider the totality of the circumstances.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mannyman84
They wouldn't have to follow me for miles. I'll fetch right away lol
THATS WHAT IM SAYING! If someone tries messing with me ill always try back, idc if its a Lambo, but since i heard that ive been "inspecting" the drivers a little more, if its all black with black tints, forget it, im not messing
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blk_01_ta
I work for a police dept. in Alabama. Yes that would be entrapment, the official definition is a defense in which the defendent claims that he or she was induced by a public official-usually an undercover agent or police officer-to commit a crime that he or she would otherwise not have committed.
Therefore that claim of the cop following people, getting them to race and then pulling them over would not look too good in court.
The CVs are 4.6 SOHC and yes they are slow. They will run down most SUVs and 4-cyl cars. However, people that have actually chased cars will tell you that it is extremely difficult at times to run someone down especially if you have to stop and turn around, get around traffic, etc. Most departments in my area do not allow for chases unless a felony has been committed against a person. You have to consider the totality of the circumstances.
Ok then how can this be illegal? because im not lying, in my area the black sti roams around (usually weekends...go figure) and like i said theres also that cobra a little ways away from me. And thats exactly what he does, ive never personally been taunted by him nor have i driven next to him. They usually keep it on the low down, doesnt come out during the day, probably once a month on a weekend so that not everyone knows who/what it is
Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok then how can this be illegal? because im not lying, in my area the black sti roams around (usually weekends...go figure) and like i said theres also that cobra a little ways away from me. And thats exactly what he does, ive never personally been taunted by him nor have i driven next to him. They usually keep it on the low down, doesnt come out during the day, probably once a month on a weekend so that not everyone knows who/what it is

Different areas have different laws. Around here they can only encourage you to race for so long....after a certain point it becomes entrapment.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

The fastest Crown Vic we had could do 136mph and that was with a light bar (low profile LED). And that was an older one (probably an '04-'05). It's not the fastest, but it's actually a decent car. My current Vic which is exactly the same as the other one will only do 126mph. Only difference is drive-by-wire throttle and gear ratio.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

iv seen a marauder do mid 10's at the track. looked completly bone stock except for the DRs . it was def boosted tho. i could hear that. pretty sick.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going down a two lane highway, and theres a crown vic in front of me in the left lane, and you could tell it used to be a police car, because it had the spotlight, etc. But it wasnt a cop. The light went red and we both had to stop, im minding my own business. There were 4 kids in the car blasting music. The light goes green, and my car isnt quiet, so when i pulled out, he had to have heard it. Im just going at a slow pace and i hear the car kickdown and the guy takes off, then slows down and just rides next to me, i look over and hes looking at me like hes tough. I though to myself "is it worth it?".....of course, proving to someone that their car is not fast is always a good thing. He kicks it down again and takes off, i threw it in second (doing 40 at the time) and completely blew by him like an NFL superstar outrunning a highschool football player. Nothing to be proud about, i just thought those cop cars had more pickup. Just funny to me and i figured id share the story.
They do not need to be fast or powerful because they have Radio's and Gun's............Gun's and other police officer's with Gun's..............lol...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Anyone know how much power the state trooper camaro SS's put down?
There are few Camaro SS's with the B4C package, They put down what ever a stock SS puts down, unless the department had work or tuning done to it. A B4C LS1 puts down 305 RWHP. Only mods were bigger sway bars and a higher output alternator.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

In Oregon I have seen new body style red Mustang GTs. They have the LEDs on top of the rear view mirror and across the rear deck. All on the inside hidden behind tinted glass. Couldn't believe it when I saw it on the hywy.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Back in 96, in a "borrowed" 96 Lexus LS 400, i was in a high speed chase with CHP and they kept up with no problem. We were averaging about 110-120 mph. ******* cheated and finally caught me using a helicopter.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 AM
***Repost Police***

'96 LS400 isn't too much faster than a typical Crown Vic or Caprice. But that's awesome that you stole a brand new Lexus, got caught in a high speed police chase, and are now bragging about it on the internet...
Old 10-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Personally, it's not the new Mustangs that they use around here that have me concerned regarding speeding. I notice most of the "nicer" cars, the ones that worry me are the damn minivans that they are using in this area to catch unsuspecting speeders. Though, there is supposed to be a 05-06 Corvette in the area, but I've yet to see him. Can't say that I've ever had the inclination to run from the cops, I'd like to keep my car/life.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, We have an event called beat the heat and the cops have a police car that is fully gutted and it's stock. That thing run an 11.3 consistently. It's a chick that drives it and she does a pretty good job. BTW that's in the 1/8 mile.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
***Repost Police***

I don't even want to know how much weight has to be taken out of a Crown Vic or Caprice to drop ~5 seconds of an otherwise-stock car's 1/4 mile... I think the "stock" part might be

Edit: I'm dumb

Last edited by Irunelevens; 10-22-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
OP, We have an event called beat the heat and the cops have a police car that is fully gutted and it's stock. That thing run an 11.3 consistently. It's a chick that drives it and she does a pretty good job. BTW that's in the 1/8 mile.
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I don't even want to know how much weight has to be taken out of a Crown Vic or Caprice to drop ~5 seconds of an otherwise-stock car's 1/4 mile... I think the "stock" part might be
Uh...read before you post...maybe?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Launching!

I always lol when people start talking about cop cars around where I live. All cop cars are supercharged! Crown vics are soo fast!

Every stock ex police car I've ever seen ran consistent 16's. Add all the crap the cops carry in them things, its gonna be slow. Maybe the police take off the supercharger before they auction them off...

Quick Reply: So I learned today that cop cars are not fast.