Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So I learned today that cop cars are not fast.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I learned today that cop cars are not fast.

Im going down a two lane highway, and theres a crown vic in front of me in the left lane, and you could tell it used to be a police car, because it had the spotlight, etc. But it wasnt a cop. The light went red and we both had to stop, im minding my own business. There were 4 kids in the car blasting music. The light goes green, and my car isnt quiet, so when i pulled out, he had to have heard it. Im just going at a slow pace and i hear the car kickdown and the guy takes off, then slows down and just rides next to me, i look over and hes looking at me like hes tough. I though to myself "is it worth it?".....of course, proving to someone that their car is not fast is always a good thing. He kicks it down again and takes off, i threw it in second (doing 40 at the time) and completely blew by him like an NFL superstar outrunning a highschool football player. Nothing to be proud about, i just thought those cop cars had more pickup. Just funny to me and i figured id share the story.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I was at the intersection with you as I would have laughed at him as we both went by!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, a 250hp 4000+ lb automatic sedan with 4 people in it isnt exactly a rocket... its more of a boat...

Stock they are mid 15 sec cars... Good kill nevertheless
Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
***Repost Police***

How do people think cop cars are fast? Seriously? It's just a Crown Victoria.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

cool story bro
Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
For what they are once they get rolling the move suprisingly well. Not saying they are fast but most of the new crown vics top out at like 135 which isnt bad.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Had some LoLz
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone know how much power the state trooper camaro SS's put down?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dey gotz a chip yo. Hella fast...hella.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Look at this months issue of GMHTP, tell me thats not a fast cop car lol
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by itsslow98
For what they are once they get rolling the move suprisingly well. Not saying they are fast but most of the new crown vics top out at like 135 which isnt bad.
I've heard the ones with lightbars can't get over 130mph... enough to run down a 4cyl Accord or an early 90s Corsica, but quite a few modern (last 20 years) cars would have no problem running from one or two cop cars if it weren't for the best backup ever; Motorola.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

I have seriously heard hundreds if not thousands of ignorant dimwits that think all cop cars have special high horsepower "Interceptor" engines in them. The dimmest of those guys actually went out and bought retired police Crown Vics, 5.0s, and LT1 Caprice's and tell everyone how fast they are. A long, long time ago I stopped argueing with them and just walk away.

Adding hundreds of pounds of reinforcing and heavier steel rims DOES NOT make a car faster...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:56 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Police units don't need to be fast, they've got safety in numbers, advanced driver training/car control and most importantly air support. Unless you're on a bike you ain't outrunnin the man.

Besides, the 4.6 SOHC, the motor inspired by Lifetime: television for women and featured in 90's Mustangs is also in these cruisers, so why would anyone think of them as being fast?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Teching In

I've heard the ones with lightbars can't get over 130mph... enough to run down a 4cyl Accord or an early 90s Corsica, but quite a few modern (last 20 years) cars would have no problem running from one or two cop cars if it weren't for the best backup ever; Motorola.
If someone wanted to run from the cops and be successful, they'd need to make/get something to jam police radio. Activate at the first sign of blue lights, take a few turns and backup won't be able to find you. Of course no one should ever try this highly illegal move...but I'm surprised no one has.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

I "ran" from the 5oh once. I was like 17 or 18, in the prime of my generally retarded driving phase and going like 65 in a 40 down this big hill headed to my house. Well, a cop was sitting off to the side in a neighborhood and saw me. I looked back in my rear view and about an 1/8th mile back he was just pulling out. I immeadiately ducked off into the neighborhood to my right, which is connected to 2 others right by my house. I nailed it (remember I'm still a retarded driver at this point) and when about 50 or 60 through a neighborhood, made a few turns and took the long way home. There's no way he could have known which turns I took, since there was at least 3 different turns at 3 different intersections, not too mention the rest of the turns I took.

Point of the story: you can run from the cops, but it better be a quick chase and you better know where you are going because once they get on the radio, you're fucked (if you are in a car).

**this story was entirely false
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick
Dey gotz a chip yo. Hella fast...hella.
I love how people that have no idea what they're talking about say cop cars have this super fancy special chip that adds like a million HP and turns your ordinary crown vic into this monster 500 HP demon of a car. It's actually pretty laughable every time I hear that mentioned. I don't even try to argue with them, just nod my head. And then when one's for sale, you get the "yea but they took the super fancy chip out so now it's just a normal turd crown vic."
Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I love how people that have no idea what they're talking about say cop cars have this super fancy special chip that adds like a million HP and turns your ordinary crown vic into this monster 500 HP demon of a car. It's actually pretty laughable every time I hear that mentioned. I don't even try to argue with them, just nod my head. And then when one's for sale, you get the "yea but they took the super fancy chip out so now it's just a normal turd crown vic."
Exactly. I don't know how many times I've heard it.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Not to mention most of those cars are beat on and driven every day. The one the OP posted probably had 150k+ miles on it and probably was never maintained like it should have been.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some cop cars can be quick but most are trash. I know places like TX and FL used to use lightly modded z28s for highway interceptor models before they got strict on preventing high speed chases.

Kawi is now providing highway patrols with the new Concourse 14 Sport Tourers to replace their POS v-twin harleys. 150+hp monster bike with ABS, traction control, and tighter turning radius then the civilian model.

Good luck trying to run from one of those in most cars LOL!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Puck
Some cop cars can be quick but most are trash. I know places like TX and FL used to use lightly modded z28s for highway interceptor models before they got strict on preventing high speed chases.

Kawi is now providing highway patrols with the new Concourse 14 Sport Tourers to replace their POS v-twin harleys. 150+hp monster bike with ABS, traction control, and tighter turning radius then the civilian model.

Good luck trying to run from one of those in most cars LOL!
I'd do it. Erm... i mean i dont do that stuff anymore.

Quick Reply: So I learned today that cop cars are not fast.