Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So long Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So long Shelby GT

Sorry mods if this is the wrong section for this.....I only post in here so I figured it would be the right place for it.

Anyways, I had been doing a lot of thinking lately about my financial situation and how I was going to finish my trans am that has been an ongoing project for 4 years. I bought my Shelby GT in May of 09 to keep my car hobby going and to give me a toy to play with while the trans am was under the knife. Recently, I set a goal for myself that the trans am WAS going to be done this spring, because frankly, I cant take seeing it apart anymore and the stress has been getting to me hardcore. Thursday night at midnight I decided to post my Shelby on craigslist for the heck of it just to see if I got any bites. I never thought I would sell a car for $28k on craigslist of all places. Well Friday afternoon at 4pm a guy came and wrote me a check for $28k and took the car home with him. I'm still a little in disbelief and am glad that I'm debt free, but I don't think the fact of not owning the car anymore has hit me yet and I'm sure it's going to suck for the next few weeks. It just happened so fast and I've never seen something like that sell in less than a day. It was the first car I've ever owned new off the dealer lot, and being a collector car I'm sure I'll kick myself in the *** for letting it go, but prioritys come first and the trans am is my baby at heart. Anyways, just wanted to take this time to post up some pics of the awesome looking, perfoming, and handling first mustang of a GM fan.

It will be gone, but not forgotten. By far one of the most fun and well balanced cars I've ever owned, and I had a ton of fun over the year and a half I had it. I wouldn't even think twice about buying another S197 stang in the future at some point.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Wow man, both sucks and is good. It has to feel good without the car payment but sucks you sold your car. I tried selling mine awhile back and didn't get one bite, so I just decided to keep it and mod the **** out of it. Once you get the TA going you'll feel a lot better about selling it.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 08nastygt
Wow man, both sucks and is good. It has to feel good without the car payment but sucks you sold your car. I tried selling mine awhile back and didn't get one bite, so I just decided to keep it and mod the **** out of it. Once you get the TA going you'll feel a lot better about selling it.
It's so wierd because I posted it on craigslist AND paid 40$ to put it on auto trader at the beggining of the summer thinking that was the best time, and as you said, not a single call. I couldn't believe it! And now, right before winter, I throw it up on craigslist and it's gone within a day. Just goes to show, timing is everything.

The thing that makes me feel good about selling it is that the buyer is an older gentleman that wanted a collector car, and when he opened his barn to add my shelby to his collection, I knew he was the right buyer for it. His lineup was as follows...

-1969 Shelby GT500 super cobra jet auto car
-1970 trans am 455 4 speed manual
-1966 GTO tri power 455 (I think) 4 speed manual
-1967 Firebird convertible 400 4 speed manual

ALL cars were original numbers matching restored cars too. My jaw dropped, especially when he parked my shelby next to the 69 GT500

Just really makes you feel good when you know you sold your baby to the "right" owner.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So he wrote you a personal check for 28k? and you let him drive the car home that day? please tell me im missing something here.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
So he wrote you a personal check for 28k? and you let him drive the car home that day? please tell me im missing something here.
I still have the title. It's the only way we could do it after spending countless calls with my credit union. They actually recommended I do it that way. Technically, I still own the car until the check clears and the lean is paid off.....then he gets my title. I also took my plate and everything so the car will sit in his barn since he can't register it or anything without the title. Trust me, I have bought and sold many cars, lol. I'm not that bad!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats man, I've been watching you build thread, I know what you mean about having to watch it sit and the stress that comes with it. I still have my formy sitting in the garage waiting for money and parts, but yours is cosmetically in much better shape at this point lol. Ah not enough time in the day. Or money in the wallet for that matter.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, I'm speechless. Get that bird in the air QUICK...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hopefully you won't miss it for long.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I still have the title. It's the only way we could do it after spending countless calls with my credit union. They actually recommended I do it that way. Technically, I still own the car until the check clears and the lean is paid off.....then he gets my title. I also took my plate and everything so the car will sit in his barn since he can't register it or anything without the title. Trust me, I have bought and sold many cars, lol. I'm not that bad!
Gotcha, i was gonna say but you never know how some people are lol.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by myk
Man, I'm speechless. Get that bird in the air QUICK...
Oh believe me, I'm going to try as QUICK as I can! But since I just reduced my monthly bills from about 800$ to right around 70$, I think it should start making a LOT of progress.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Gotcha, i was gonna say but you never know how some people are lol.
Yea, and I know first hand not to trust a personal check. A lot of bad things can happen with a bounced check!
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh believe me, I'm going to try as QUICK as I can! But since I just reduced my monthly bills from about 800$ to right around 70$, I think it should start making a LOT of progress.

I get it man. I've got about a year left until I can pay off my last credit card. After that, I'm going to give my '69 Charger the attention I should've given it from the beginning. Waiting just SUCKS...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Sucks to see such a nice car go, but it's great that you'll have the extra $$ needed to finish the Trans Am. Always feels good to pay down debt. Plus, not having a car to drive should be incentive to get the TA done.

There's always an extra seat in the G8 if you want, whenever we go on cruises too! 1/2 the reason I got it was for the extra seats and room
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Sucks to see such a nice car go, but it's great that you'll have the extra $$ needed to finish the Trans Am. Always feels good to pay down debt. Plus, not having a car to drive should be incentive to get the TA done.

There's always an extra seat in the G8 if you want, whenever we go on cruises too! 1/2 the reason I got it was for the extra seats and room
I may be taking you up on that offer! I really want the TA done for spring but you never know what you may run into. And yea I am going to really enjoy having money now, lol.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It always sucks to sell a car you like, but at least some of the funds will go to finishing up a long time build. You're gonna feel awesome once you fire up the TA for the first time.

It's so wierd because I posted it on craigslist AND paid 40$ to put it on auto trader at the beggining of the summer thinking that was the best time, and as you said, not a single call. I couldn't believe it! And now, right before winter, I throw it up on craigslist and it's gone within a day. Just goes to show, timing is everything.

The thing that makes me feel good about selling it is that the buyer is an older gentleman that wanted a collector car, and when he opened his barn to add my shelby to his collection, I knew he was the right buyer for it. His lineup was as follows...

-1969 Shelby GT500 super cobra jet auto car
-1970 trans am 455 4 speed manual
-1966 GTO tri power 455 (I think) 4 speed manual
-1967 Firebird convertible 400 4 speed manual

ALL cars were original numbers matching restored cars too. My jaw dropped, especially when he parked my shelby next to the 69 GT500

Just really makes you feel good when you know you sold your baby to the "right" owner.
This is a story any car guy can appreciate. Far too often you sell a car that ends up getting abused and thrashed. Sucks to see your former baby drive by filthy and dented up a year later. Sounds like yours will be well taken car of!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Dude... (slap slap) ...it's a CAR.

When times are better...GET ANOTHER ONE!!!

Quit pms....iing.

Look at it this way.... At least you won't get beat by a bolt-on tuned 6 cyl 2011!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Puck
It always sucks to sell a car you like, but at least some of the funds will go to finishing up a long time build. You're gonna feel awesome once you fire up the TA for the first time.

This is a story any car guy can appreciate. Far too often you sell a car that ends up getting abused and thrashed. Sucks to see your former baby drive by filthy and dented up a year later. Sounds like yours will be well taken car of!!!

Do you guys really give a **** what happens to a car after it's sold? I get my money and my memories and let it go.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats awesome that you unloaded the car that quick! especially in todays economy... now finish that 3rd gen sleeper!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

Sorry mods if this is the wrong section for this.....I only post in here so I figured it would be the right place for it.

Anyways, I had been doing a lot of thinking lately about my financial situation and how I was going to finish my trans am that has been an ongoing project for 4 years. I bought my Shelby GT in May of 09 to keep my car hobby going and to give me a toy to play with while the trans am was under the knife. Recently, I set a goal for myself that the trans am WAS going to be done this spring, because frankly, I cant take seeing it apart anymore and the stress has been getting to me hardcore. Thursday night at midnight I decided to post my Shelby on craigslist for the heck of it just to see if I got any bites. I never thought I would sell a car for $28k on craigslist of all places. Well Friday afternoon at 4pm a guy came and wrote me a check for $28k and took the car home with him. I'm still a little in disbelief and am glad that I'm debt free, but I don't think the fact of not owning the car anymore has hit me yet and I'm sure it's going to suck for the next few weeks. It just happened so fast and I've never seen something like that sell in less than a day. It was the first car I've ever owned new off the dealer lot, and being a collector car I'm sure I'll kick myself in the *** for letting it go, but prioritys come first and the trans am is my baby at heart. Anyways, just wanted to take this time to post up some pics of the awesome looking, perfoming, and handling first mustang of a GM fan.

It will be gone, but not forgotten. By far one of the most fun and well balanced cars I've ever owned, and I had a ton of fun over the year and a half I had it. I wouldn't even think twice about buying another S197 stang in the future at some point.
HOPEFULLY YOU MADE COPY OF ID,CHECK AND A DOC..WITH SIGNATURE TO HOLD UP IN COURT JUST INCASE HE'S a scam artist.....
Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nickate
Dude... (slap slap) ...it's a CAR.

When times are better...GET ANOTHER ONE!!!

Quit pms....iing.

Look at it this way.... At least you won't get beat by a bolt-on tuned 6 cyl 2011!
Originally Posted by nickate

Do you guys really give a **** what happens to a car after it's sold? I get my money and my memories and let it go.
I get attached to my cars, and I take care of my cars. After a year and a half of meticulously cleaning it, doing synthetic oil changes, and maintaining it, I don't want to see it get trashed by some high school kid who's mommy bought it for him. I sold it for good money and I'm happy for that, but it was the first brand new car I've ever owned, and FYI, you can't just go buy another one. They don't make them anymore. It was a limited run car and I will NEVER be able to buy another one brand new. And speed isn't anything. My shelby GT even if it did lose to a bolt on tuned V6 still has WAY more of a ***** magnet factor and was just an all around awesome looking and handling car. Not to mention, V6's sound like ******* with anything other than a stock exhaust.

I'm not sitting in a cave crying to myself....I decided to sell it to finish my real baby, but it still sucks that it got to that point. Not to mention I will be getting laid off in December so it was kind of a "smart but not liked" decision.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LTXBOI
HOPEFULLY YOU MADE COPY OF ID,CHECK AND A DOC..WITH SIGNATURE TO HOLD UP IN COURT JUST INCASE HE'S a scam artist.....
Read itsslow98's comment....I already have it under control. Title's mine until the check clears!