Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a 03/04 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I'm still wondering were I can run the stacks when I get my 4x4 gto,lol I'm thinking up threw the rear floor and out the windows,has anyone made a back seat bed liner for these yet,
HAHAHAA!!!

Just run then up through the hood! Cut 2 holes and blow black all over the place!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny guys, real funny. Not really but really, funny......
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2v-in-12's
Who gives a **** if you should have beat him.....you did.

He is probably a 115 trap car....you just beat him. I just wouldn't expect the same for every one you meet up with. 395rwhp cobras are rare. Get the giggle Gas filled up and go play with some 450 rwhp cobras.....

Good Kill OP
^^^Your sig is awesome man! I laughed my *** off when I read it. Gotta love marine snipers.

Some people are talking with no experience. GTO's are australian designed cars and as such are designed for australia, not the USA. I'm sure Australia's roads for the most part are nowhere like ours in smoothness, and a lot of them I'm sure aren't even paved. Plus, around here, our cars don't need to be designed for a kangaroo or zebra front impact!

Also, they have very plush interiors, and I'm sure by taking all that **** out, it was in fact a ton of weight. Any of you see the trunk in a GTO? Bracing galore! Plus, the OP even said he had it on a scale before and after. Give credit where it's due. You guys are tearing him apart and from what I've read, he's not acting like a dueshe about anything so give him a break. I've seen PLENTY of cars get wrecked that shouldnt have. Thats just how it is. Cars aren't fast, drivers are.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Launching!

This thread went all to **** haha
Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree thread went bad,I gave him credit and anything I posted that was about his run was a total joke,hey I don't care if the driver of the cobra had lil peoples legs and couldn't work the clutch as long as the 03 lost!I don't care how it happend or why ,just love to hear whenever the all mighty cobra takes a loss,my car is an all purpose build to take down cobras,and I will give props to whoever takes down a snake!!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Good kill OP! I've been waxed by a mid-500WHP Civic coupe (from a roll of course). Nothing to be ashamed of, losses come over time.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol good one ,that is awesome,
Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Its not that I was posting to **** talk or anything. I was just posting a race that I should not have one. Then everyone starts talking **** about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO's were designed by a combination of Vauxhall (GM of Europe) and Holden (GM of Australia). Since Australian crash requirements were greater, they targeted them.

In Australia, all new vehicles are required to be able to hit a full grown kangaroo at freeway speeds and still be able to drive home. Hence the heavy gauge STEEL skid plate (40lbs at least) under the engine, full length 5" square steel tube from bumper, and lots of extra bracing everywhere underneath.

Then the every-GTO-has-them trailer hitches and associated bracing: You can get the reciever as an option in Australia, but GM never offered it here- but GM left the braces and steel skid plates on to ensure it met all new vehicle crash requirements- they were too cheap to loose some of the weight and see if they still met the crash requirements in the US. Fuel tank (and its firewall and heavy braces) had to be installed in the trunk due to the same US crash standards. (A steel firewall has to seperate the cabin from any fuel tank, and fuel tanks cannot be behind the axle resulting in the loss of half the trunk for the gas tank.)

Very heavy duty suspension and overly stiff body to handle the potted/ rutted/ dirt roads common in Australia... Heavy amounts of sound deadening was required because in Australia, Ford and Holden dominate the luxury car market that BMW and Mercedes cannot seem to get a toehold into- you gotta provide a helluva car domestically to keep the white collar crowd from switching over to the German brands even with the vaunted buy-Australian mentality they are known for. That required quality is also responsible for the best fit n finish and award winning interior ergonomics and quality that corporate GM had ever seen.

All adds up to alot of weight drop potential for those willing to gut there GTO. Of course, most of us GTO guys look at gutting a GTO with the same disdain that a Mercedes or BMW owner would have over someone gutting a M3 or AMG.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Teching In

when you dont have alot of money to mod and you want to race, you do what you have to do to win.

sorry to let my fellow GTO owners down but I like to race.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
GTO's were designed by a combination of Vauxhall (GM of Europe) and Holden (GM of Australia). Since Australian crash requirements were greater, they targeted them.

In Australia, all new vehicles are required to be able to hit a full grown kangaroo at freeway speeds and still be able to drive home. Hence the heavy gauge STEEL skid plate (40lbs at least) under the engine, full length 5" square steel tube from bumper, and lots of extra bracing everywhere underneath.

Then the every-GTO-has-them trailer hitches and associated bracing: You can get the reciever as an option in Australia, but GM never offered it here- but GM left the braces and steel skid plates on to ensure it met all new vehicle crash requirements- they were too cheap to loose some of the weight and see if they still met the crash requirements in the US. Fuel tank (and its firewall and heavy braces) had to be installed in the trunk due to the same US crash standards. (A steel firewall has to seperate the cabin from any fuel tank, and fuel tanks cannot be behind the axle resulting in the loss of half the trunk for the gas tank.)

Very heavy duty suspension and overly stiff body to handle the potted/ rutted/ dirt roads common in Australia... Heavy amounts of sound deadening was required because in Australia, Ford and Holden dominate the luxury car market that BMW and Mercedes cannot seem to get a toehold into- you gotta provide a helluva car domestically to keep the white collar crowd from switching over to the German brands even with the vaunted buy-Australian mentality they are known for. That required quality is also responsible for the best fit n finish and award winning interior ergonomics and quality that corporate GM had ever seen.
TIGHT chassis, body, LS2 power-I want a GTO so bad lol...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost forgot: the body is so stiff on a GTO, that even with removing braces, tow bars, skid plate, front bumper tube, etc. that guys with 8 and 9 second cars (1000+rwhp) are 50/50 on whether they use subframe connectors or not. Have heard a few shops complain that subframe connectors actually slowed there cars down- and none have reported ever twisting a GTO up without them.

Makes you wonder just how much one could cut out of a GTO and still keep it decently stiff enough for 500-600rwhp on the street and strip?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the write up Sticks. People have no idea what they were talking about and Im not one to write all of that **** out to uninformed naysayers. GTOs have ALOT of extra weight on them due to the standards over there. When I first saw the thickness of the carpet and foam in my car my eyes were like

My car with a 402 through a Spintech isnt even loud with the windows up, lol.

Quick Reply: Raced a 03/04 Cobra