Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 GTO vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx, has to be some of the best runs ive been in yet...

The Goat is a constant work in progress and I do what I can, but money has been tight... bills come before mods. I have been self employed now for the last 4 or 5 months... establishing my own performance oriented business. I worked in my fathers machine and fab shop for about 5 years doing all sorts of stuff. Stopped doing that a while back (hard to work for family) and I just took those skills and applied them somewhere else that I enjoy way more. I mostly do porting work on intake manifolds, throttle bodies, superchargers etc, but I also shaved a fellow GTOs fenders the other day to fit some 275s like my car, painted his grilles and rear valence gloss black like mine. Whatever various little jobs I can find....

Have ported many LS2 intake manifolds, couple LS6s, SRT8s, TBSS, various throttle bodies. I am in the process of learning to correctly hand port cylinder heads but thats a little bit down the road. Its tough getting customers, business is up and down... but I have a strong will power and this is something I enjoy doing so I am sticking with it. I have met many great people through the car scene and I am slowly making more customers and establishing a foot hold for the business. One baby step at a time...

Last edited by Poolshark1321; 11-05-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
I'm not going to make excuses for the guy but.....

Originally Posted by F8L BYT

Don't be that guy... Don't follow Ju1ce and his dumbass ways.

I agree with you that they are quick cars and they are faster than the new camaro's and a better competition but like any 2 cars it doesn't matter if we are comparing honda's if they are close in all the numbers then it will come down to the driver which in this case I believe the OP had the upper hand.
Not being "that" guy but when these cars first were being I released and everyone was talking about how they were going to rape EVERYTHING I said that it would be a drivers race with LS1 f bodies and LS2 GTOs with a slight edge to the new 5.0s being DOHC and I was ridiculed for it. Now that they are out and it is indeed a drivers race like I stated I find it pretty damn funny is all.

All in good fun BTW.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Poolshark1321

Have ported many LS2 intake manifolds, couple LS6s, SRT8s, TBSS, various throttle bodies. I am in the process of learning to correctly hand port cylinder heads but thats a little bit down the road. Its tough getting customers, business is up and down... but I have a strong will power and this is something I enjoy doing so I am sticking with it. I have met many great people through the car scene and I am slowly making more customers and establishing a foot hold for the business. One baby step at a time...
Curious as to what numbers you gained from your ported ls2 intake on a dyno?
Seems liked you picked up a good amount after seeing your car run.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:43 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Poolshark1321
Its tough getting customers, business is up and down... but I have a strong will power and this is something I enjoy doing so I am sticking with it. I have met many great people through the car scene and I am slowly making more customers and establishing a foot hold for the business. One baby step at a time...
Well, if you're somewhere in 'Cali I might one day use your skills. BTW, your GTO's color combo is second to none...
Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by necrocannibal

Not being "that" guy but when these cars first were being I released and everyone was talking about how they were going to rape EVERYTHING I said that it would be a drivers race with LS1 f bodies and LS2 GTOs with a slight edge to the new 5.0s being DOHC and I was ridiculed for it. Now that they are out and it is indeed a drivers race like I stated I find it pretty damn funny is all.

All in good fun BTW.
If I was in the market for a new car, the new 5.0 would definitely be at the top of the list.

After seeing a local guy bust out some mid 11's with a few bolt-ons and slicks, I was even more impressed.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Teching In

If only the bolt-ons weren't so damn expensive at the moment
Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Teching In

I believe for power mods he only had a K&N filter, gutted cats, and a tune. Non power mods were a clutch and slicks & skinnies.

Why couldn't they have came out 5 years ago I would have probably had one instead of my Evo.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
I believe for power mods he only had a K&N filter, gutted cats, and a tune. Non power mods were a clutch and slicks & skinnies.

Why couldn't they have came out 5 years ago I would have probably had one instead of my Evo.
Id rather have an Evo. That will probably be my next car, maybe a couple of years old.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Good runs.. and a win is a win. Even if you did beat the driver not the car. Driver mod continues to be the most important mod out there.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
Curious as to what numbers you gained from your ported ls2 intake on a dyno?
Seems liked you picked up a good amount after seeing your car run.
I currently have a stage 1 intake on the car not the stage 2. Port work consists of port matched runners, leveling out mis matched plastic seams in 8" into the runners and tb neck widened from stock 92mm to 94/95mm. Stage 2 is the same work plus removal of 3 internal pillars + epoxying pillar holes and removal of all ribs on the plenum floor. It creates a totally smooth plenum floor and ceiling.

Stage 1 = avg of 10rwhp, 10rwtq & Stage 2 = avg of 15rwhp 15rwtq

The Ls2 intake manifolds are the worst manifolds made by GM and thats why huge gains can be made from porting. Your LS6 intakes dont see near the gains... many people say its not worth porting an LS6... but you can get 5 or so HP of them if you clean up certain areas. LS3s & LS7s also respond well from porting...

Pictures to compare before/after...
http://s482.photobucket.com/albums/r...fold/?start=80

Originally Posted by myk
Well, if you're somewhere in 'Cali I might one day use your skills. BTW, your GTO's color combo is second to none...
Thank you, I love this color combo... it was exactly what I wanted. I had a hard time finding this exact car and shopped for many months before pulling the trigger. At the time it was the only IBM/black leather LS2 M6 under 40k miles in Texas. She had 32kmiles when I bought her back in late early Aug 09 and 55k now. Garage kept, bone stock, one owner/nonsmoker,driven by a lady in her early late 30s who never tracked the car or raced it. She had a 2010 Camaro SS inc on a train from Canada. I am very happy with the purchase...
I love Cali and I have plans to live there one day for sure. I was thinking somewhere up towards the north side. Maybe Fresno/Clovis area...

I have done a few core exchanges on intake manifolds and throttle bodies to out of state customers. One of them was a GTO owner in Cali named Georgetek, he sent me his stockLS2 intake/TB as a core and I sent him out a stage 2 intake/TB combo. He picked up 14hp without a re tune on a basic bolt on LS2 GTO. Its best to get a retune to adjust A/F ratio... usually after doing work like this it will run towards the lean side. Helps squeeze all the power possible out of it.

Cylinder heads is really what I am going to get into over the next year. Doing some practicing on 241s, my 243s that are going on my buddies LS1 GTO and new LS3 for my Goat. Gotta get some practice under my belt before I will feel comfortable/confident enough doing work like that to other peoples heads on a regular bases. I have many books and have done a ton of research on it, I understand exactly what is involved... just need to get hands on experience now. All in due time though...

Last edited by Poolshark1321; 11-06-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Ran my best pass last night at HRP... it was the very last pass made on the track @ 12Am. I was really happy about it and knew it was the one before I even had the slip in hand.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by assasinator
when i bought mine, the dealer put 87 in it. it took a few tank fulls for the tune to adapt to 93. i could feel it.

the 97 aggressive tune and offroad x pipe woke mine up. mufflers and k&n is all im doing till the warranty is up.
why not do this and keep the warranty and pick up some hp
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12345
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Honestly dude your "bolt ons" as people keep referring to them as... are doing basically nothing for you. It's the -779DA that did anything at all. For comparison this is my GTO which was all stock aside from drag radials, the DA was +1400

Your GTO might as well be stock.
With that said, good kill on that new 5.0, but you don't have "Bolt ons". You have mods that might have gained you 10rwhp.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I do agree my little bit of "bolt ons" is basically nothing... it does help but less then 20HP. Track conditions were perfect and I just kept monkeying with the launch until I found that sweet spot. 4500 launch, slipped clutch a little faster then normal... Conditions were perfect though, there is no doubt about that...

Last edited by Poolshark1321; 11-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Based on this alone GTOs should be dead nuts with a new GT stock for stock?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Teching In

All in good fun BTW.
I have thought that too. But if you say it, you will get made fun of.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Based on this alone GTOs should be dead nuts with a new GT stock for stock?
Stock for stock should be a drivers race with the edge to the LS2 up top.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Stock for stock should be a drivers race with the edge to the LS2 up top.

Been saying this since before they were released, and ridiculed for it might I add.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Been saying this since before they were released, and ridiculed for it might I add.
Because the SR&K section of this site has more mustang owners in it than LSx car owners. Also there's way too many starry eyed fanbois who buy into the hype.

Anyone need a $1250 catback from Evolution performance? Makes your mustang run 11's.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Because the SR&K section of this site has more mustang owners in it than LSx car owners. Also there's way too many starry eyed fanbois who buy into the hype.

Anyone need a $1250 catback from Evolution performance? Makes your mustang run 11's.
Damn!!! $1300 catback??? WOW!!!

Quick Reply: 2006 GTO vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT