Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Porsche 911 T vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Porsche 911 T vs LS1

Coming from the American cars meet here England on the way home doing about 40 MPH in a 40 zone, a late model Porsche 911 T was on my tail, waiting for me to gun it going through series of roundabouts here. Of course there was a POLO car infront of me doing a sunday drive in the rain so I couldn't do much about it on a two lane road, moderate traffic on the opposite lane. Up ahead the road widens to clear four lane and the Porsche driver couldn't wait any longer. I saw his car lights shifted up a little on my rear view mirror and do a quick over take on me and the car infront of me. I down shifted the car from 3rd to 2nd after I heard the Porsche gun it with a cloud of mist from the wet road splattering on my windscreen and I pursuited... Passed the slowass car infront of me but... Of course, not a chance to even match his speed as my car struggled for traction even with my traction control activated.

Mother nature wasn't on my side on this run although I think I would have given a good run for its money on a dry road.

Here is what the car looks like.. same color/wheels and everything.

Last edited by bene; 11-14-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats your car do in the quarter?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't even think of punching my car in the rain,if it ever was in the rain,not worth it period!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with BOBS99SS.i don't think driving fast in the rain is a good idea much less racing,and a porsche of all things.your really out of your element as far as handling goes.I don't mean to sound like a *****, I like to get down with the Porsche's too (if they are game!)but do you and your camaro a favor and STOP driving in the rain.I'm sure your infinity is more suitable for rainy day's ! Prepare to hear (read) more lectures about rain driving.!

Last edited by BayArea ws6; 11-14-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't judge him if you werent there and aren't him. Hell, before my posi went out I could -with just a light feather on the hit- go WOT in 2nd gear from 40mph on up, including freeway hits. Of course it takes very good tires and the GTO's extra weight over them, but still it's possible to do it safely as long as you have the experience to handle ANYTHING that can happen if it gets squirrelly.

Oddly enough I just had a run in with a SRT8 Charger on probably the same road conditions as the OP listed (wet ground but hadnt rained in at least a couple hours). This SRT8 moron refuses to line up with me in the tunnel where we first crossed paths (nice and dry + straight for 1/4 mile at least) but waits until we get back on the damp roads, in a corner, on a bridge with steel expansion joints. I obviously let him go... "Time and Place". If it wasnt for the turn AND expansion joints I would have anniliated his SRT8 with great pleasure.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

I didn't mean to judge or offend the op or anyone who drives in the rain.We have all heard horrific story's and seen the pictures as well of people crashing there car's from driving too fast in the rain.I wasn't implying that the op can't handle there car either, no offense intended.Nothing personal just stating my opinion.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Racing in the rain? I gotta admit I ain't got the ***** to do that...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by staticx57
Whats your car do in the quarter?
I haven't got the chance to drive the car in 1/4 to see how fast it is since H/C swap.
I didn't mean to judge or offend the op or anyone who drives in the rain.We have all heard horrific story's and seen the pictures as well of people crashing there car's from driving too fast in the rain.I wasn't implying that the op can't handle there car either, no offense intended.Nothing personal just stating my opinion.
None taken.

As far as the driving fast in the rain. I usually don't. I've had my fair share of spinning out of control on a wet road however not with this car (back in the states). I took my chance to play with my odds however I didn't push it way beyond than I wanted to.

Being this is going to be my home for the next 3 years, I've learned to adapt driving the roads here in England. The roads here are mostly wet due to the mist/light rain/humidity so either enjoy my car and the UK "driving" or sit on my *** at home in the weekend.

When I downshifted my car and peddled it after passing the slow one infront of me, it wasn't long at all I realized I wasn't going to even catch up with the Porsche. The Porsche was about a bus length in a split second.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, dude, be careful with that thing in the rain. I'm not usually one to preach but seeing your car being the same as mine (pewter H/C Z28), it strikes a note with me. I kept mine absolutely mint for years, washin and waxin it once a week and everything. Then this past Spring I sold it to a guy who thought it would be a good idea to drive it in the rain on the Mickey Thompsons even though I told him to avoid it at all costs. He hydroplaned and rolled it. Totalled. My heart sank seeing the pictures but luckily no one was hurt too bad. Here's what it looked like before and after:

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hydroplaned my share of cars into ditches when i was younger, it sucks. Take it easy on the wet roads guys.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a few squirly moments in the past driving in the rain, not even particularly fast.
If you have to get some good tires! I now have goodyear GSD3s & We've (gf & I) have never come close to losing it even in a heavy downpour.
I don't intentionally drive in the rain, but the weather is sooo damn unpredictable in the UK.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pewterscreaminmach
damn, dude, be careful with that thing in the rain. I'm not usually one to preach but seeing your car being the same as mine (pewter h/c z28), it strikes a note with me. I kept mine absolutely mint for years, washin and waxin it once a week and everything. Then this past spring i sold it to a guy who thought it would be a good idea to drive it in the rain on the mickey thompsons even though i told him to avoid it at all costs. He hydroplaned and rolled it. Totalled. My heart sank seeing the pictures but luckily no one was hurt too bad. Here's what it looked like before and after:

before

after

wtf
Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

if its a current year version those with the pdk run 11 flat at like 130. just food for thought.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Racing that awd Porsche in the rain = epic fail......
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
***Repost Police***

What kind of looks do you get driving a cammed Camaro around England?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Good effort man lol
Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Racing that awd Porsche in the rain = epic fail......
I don't see the epic about it... maybe if I wrecked or the AWD Porsche loss to me because of no traction in the rain that's pretty EPIC.

Fail yes... I agree.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
What kind of looks do you get driving a cammed Camaro around England?
I get the rubber neck looks and the thumbs up.

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Good effort man lol
I didn't think that particular Porsche was AWD so I took the chance maybe he'll have the same traction as me on the wet road. That thought was everything but right.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
if its a current year version those with the pdk run 11 flat at like 130. just food for thought.
11s or not, I'd still run it. It's not everyday I'll get that chance to run one of those on the road.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM
***Repost Police***

Only 911 Turbo since '95 that isn't AWD is the GT2, just so you know.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Only 911 Turbo since '95 that isn't AWD is the GT2, just so you know.
I hope you're not implying that they don't make RWD 911's anymore.

Because that would be false.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 T vs LS1