Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Let a V6 Camaro beat me. Funny story.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let a V6 Camaro beat me. Funny story.

I met speed racer today. He drives a 93-95 V6 Camaro BTW. I was coming home from a local performance shop to take a look at the clutch and flywheel I just ordered. Its going in this Thursday, and I was just checking to see it to make sure it shipped there and to see if it was missing anything or not.

Anyways, I’m on my way home and see a 4th gen f-body in my rear view. I knew it was going to be a sixxer when I saw 2 shitty looking stripes and a “CAMARO” banner on the windshield. The kid speeds up and I get a better glimpse of his car. Tons of stickers all over the place and an “auto zone” modded car. He even had a sticker to prove it.

The guy had a passenger in his car (not that it really matters), But I’m in 6th and I have no plans on taking it out of gear for this guy. The cutout is closed, so its not obnoxious, and I hear the kid start a beep sequence. I’m pretty sure its an auto, because he’s got an exhaust system and I couldn’t hear a down shift or a loud raspy exhaust. On the third beep, I keep it in 6th at 55 and manage to stay door to door with him. When I eventually started to pull a little on him, I backed off and cruised with him, allowing him to stay up by a fender.

I’m pretty sure he ran out of gear or topped out, so I let off with him. We ran into a little traffic up ahead, so I was done. He switches over to my lane and starts following me. He eventually got off at the same exit, and is right next to me at the light. His passenger window is rolled down and he yells over “Little 3.4L Camaro just beat your V8!”… I look over at him as he’s grinning and say “maybe I should have taken it out of 6th gear then”. We both make a left and we both hit another light, almost instantly. His friggen purple underglow kit is now on. When the light turns green, I roll into it and he’s at WOT. He’s about 1 car up and I finally floor it in first. Spun a little, and then put him in my rear view almost instantly, as expected. I let off at the top of second, leaving him in the dust.

I think that shut him up. He didn’t roll down his window again at the next light, and made a left hand turn shortly after. None of this would have happened if he didn’t talk **** to me at the light. I would have just went on my way and let the kid go on thinking his “little 3.4” was faster than it really was.

I know this isn’t as exciting as many of my other threads were… But I had fun keeping it in 6th and racing him. I had 2 V6 camaro's when I was 16. Will not ever own another one again. Not even as a DD.

Last edited by Camaro_94; 11-15-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thought when I saw thread title... "What an *** hole"

Good.... Kill?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
First thought when I saw thread title... "What an *** hole"

Good.... Kill?
I will admit... I kinda felt bad. If it were just a normal V6 camaro that wasnt all auto zoned up I wouldnt have raced him in the first place. If he would have kept his mouth shut, I wouldnt have raced him again. Not like I went out picking a race with a 3.4 or anything. He just started beeping! LOL!

Last edited by Camaro_94; 11-15-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed that the riced out camaro's and mustangs almost always are v6's. I wonder why? Buying a v8 must put their budget to far out to afford all the crap in the automotive section at walmart.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Nice kill, you sure showed him lol.

Yeah I drive a V6 Camaro and they are freaking slow
But at least I know that and don't try to act like it's even a remotely close match against an LT1. Hell when ever I see an LT1 or LS1 on the road I just move over to the slow lane and let them pass me.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

I lol'd.

Would lol again

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I woulda flipped him off as I passed him, good ****.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha I play that game with the occasional honda but either way hilarious!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

wow..a 3.4..you would think he would have atleast opted for the 3.8..nevertheless its still a v6 camaro and thats like a v6 mustang..slow
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Oh man I've always waited for a day like this. I've yet to get a walmart sponsored racecar challenge me anywhere yet though =(.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

I did the same thing to a friends neon. He was ***** out on the interstate and i was in 6th gear. I would get ahead a car let out until he was even then get in it until i was again a car out. Kept that up until he ran out of car.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94

I had 2 V6 camaro's when I was 16. Will not ever own another one again. Not even as a DD.
If I owned one I would drive it at night, so that no one could see me with it. Those kids were tools; I hope Autozone will continue to sponsor them though, what with the stripes, underglow, windshield banners, etc.

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
wow..a 3.4..you would think he would have atleast opted for the 3.8..nevertheless its still a v6 camaro and thats like a v6 mustang..slow
More like some V8 Mustangs...
Old 11-16-2010, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just popping up next to someone and honking 3 times is quite the douche move. I haven't had that happen to me but if it did it would **** me off. If I'm minding my own business, not driving aggressively, I don't want to have to race people on my way to work. Seriously, who does that?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it! I love playing around with cars like that. I've raced a couple friends with the car in a high gear and it makes for some good races. Sounds like an idiot that really thought his friend's **** was fast.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, priceless. Actually those little v6 car were ok, and the 3.8 cars were downright fun in their day, for a v6 that is They surprised a few Mustang GTs on occassion too iirc like myk says.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
Loved it! I love playing around with cars like that. I've raced a couple friends with the car in a high gear and it makes for some good races. Sounds like an idiot that really thought his friend's **** was fast.
It was actually the driver who was talking **** to me. I was on the right of him while we were at the light. lol

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Lol, priceless. Actually those little v6 car were ok, and the 3.8 cars were downright fun in their day, for a v6 that is They surprised a few Mustang GTs on occassion too iirc like myk says.
The 3.4's were giant turds. The 3.8's werent as bad.. But I had nothing but problems with both of my 3.4's I owned. One I basically made like new and went through the entire car. rebuilt the motor, new transmission, clutch, rear end, radio, etc. Put over $8K over time into the car just to keep it running. Total nightmare.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

I don't want to have to race people on my way to work. Seriously, who does that?
I do..but I make sure its a legitimate potential race and a good area to race
Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
The 3.4's were giant turds. The 3.8's werent as bad.
Pretty much. Friend of mine in high school got an '86 Firebird 2.8 automatic... now THAT car was slow. It was in absolutely perfect shape though.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Pretty much. Friend of mine in high school got an '86 Firebird 2.8 automatic... now THAT car was slow. It was in absolutely perfect shape though.
same here! The body was great, the motor, however, was not..lol. Ended up out in the woods after we drove it around as a go kart.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

I raced a riced out toyota matrix with the accel button on my cruise control, my car actually kicked down a gear and was pulling away from it haha.