Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SPengineering Supra vs. SPengineering GTR

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010 | 04:55 AM
Teching In

Default SPengineering Supra vs. SPengineering GTR

I bought my supra in 06 and have had it modded by SPengineering in California. They built me a monster supra. I haven't had the luxury of driving it lately due to the birth of my twins this past July.. but I was able to get out today.

My bro in law wanted a GTR desperately and I told him about SPengineering. He bought the GTR on the east coast and had it shipped to SP. He had them put in the SPE900 package and it took them all of 2 weeks to make! His car put down 750 AWHP on the Mustang dyno. My supra made 1100 in SPE.

Play by play vid.. Vid shows both camera angles from both cars.

First run we started at 45 and I just mashed on the gas. He got me by about a car and I caught up.

2nd run we started from the same speed but I thought my engine caught fire cause of smoke that came through the vents. I slowed down and after a few tests.. figured it was probably the leak in the downpipe that sent a plume of smoke in the cabin. I was still boosting! haha You can even hear me at 1:29 say.. oh ****.. it's on fire!

Run 3 I practiced brake boosting and felt confident. You will notice a trail of smoke coming from my tires.. I probably need to get that rear end lifted just a bit. Anyways.. I run him and I get the jump. Probably a car. I keep it till I see the smoke again and back off. Still think it was from the engine I slow down not wanting to break anything.

run 4. We get a good start and pretty much stay side by side.

run 5.. I misshifted.. and you can see the awesome power of the auto GTR that shifts seamlessly in a millisecond.. damn you.

Run 6 out of the tunnel I didn't even bother going.

the rest of the runs were just playing around till about 3:33 into the vid. This was a really good one.

We go at about 60. I get a jump on him but as soon as I shifted you can see the GTR keep going. I managed to fly past him.. but due to a turn.. and that oh **** feeling when you think your going to die.. I slowed down.

So all in all it was a great day of racing. I managed to get him a few times.. when I brake boosted but damn that thing is ****** fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpBwtoEr2M

Feel free to subscribe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RSKYPRODUCTIONS

All vids are shot in HD.

hopefully we can get more race vids. I think I'll run him in the Z but it's not lookin to good for me against his C16 setting.
Old 11-22-2010 | 07:51 AM
Launching!

Rsky.....we have been friends for ten years now....so it pains me a lil to say this..but aafter watching the vids i gotta give noob credit were its due...while its true that your supra had 300 more rwhp at 1100 vs the gtr's 800.....and as well your car is 300 pounds lighter....honestly it looked like you Tied almost everytime..so noob still appears to be the highway king here in hawaii.....what i observed is that if you guys could go to say 170 mph i think you would win every time...but being that we are limited to 140 mph here in the isles with our curvy roads...the superior gearing and powerband of the gtr seemed dead even or faster than the supra..it looks like you were defiently gonna pull back even with him or pass him o many of those runs but you ran out of room....on the other hand he many time pulled away and let off for an upcoming curve with you still a lil behind...their was one or two runs were it looks lik you got almost a car length on him...but you know how it goes...you cant barely beat the

Last edited by Killemall; 11-22-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 08:01 AM
Launching!

Heavy weight champ..you gotta knock him out...in this boxing match it was very close..but this judge scored it a 9/10 n favor of the champ.....your supras powerband is just killing me..everytime you got into boost and was about to pass him up like nothing then you would have to shift gears right before you were about to and that damn few seconds of lag was just enough for the gtr's lightning fast shifts and incredible power band to for the most part keep you at bay......you really need to race him were you and fearsom and i raced were you can safely hit 165 mph and i guarantee once you can sit in fith gear for a while under boost those elevin hundred ponies you have will stretch him out by 2 to 3 cars and you will have the knockout and again be proclaimed the Isles highway king....but i just dont know if those short 50 to 130 blast were enough room for your car to be the king this time.....i still cant wait for you to race him in the z06...your vette is the only car ever that i couldnt jump out a lil bit on

Last edited by Killemall; 11-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 08:05 AM
Launching!

The z06 hits so incredibly hard off the 3beep that i really feel that on these shorter races you guys did that you may be able to get him......noob...how in the world is a 3900 pound 800 rwhp car so fast???????????????????? i thought rskys supra would just walk away by 120 mph...instead you guys had some of the closest battles i have ever seen...enjoy still beng the isles highway king noob...you deserve it...but be warned..when you guys find longer straightaways rsky is gonna walk away

Last edited by Killemall; 11-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 08:18 AM
Launching!

Ok....just watched the vid again for the tenth time....man it is close to call.....what does everyone else think.....these are two of the fastest street cars in the isles....who deserves the highway king crown.......origionally i thought gtr...but after watching again and again im not so sure....we should make a poll......i think im still barely leaning towards the gtr...sick vid though...and big ***** with the license plate and full facial of the supra driver

Last edited by Killemall; 11-22-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2010 | 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

I can't see the video.. But, it does sound close from the description.
Old 11-22-2010 | 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Killemall how about taking the damned name of the state they were racing in out of your post before the fuzz see's it? For all "we" know, they shipped there cars to the Phillippines or Gaum or something. hint hint

BTW I gotta think that GTR takes the crown. Especially since we all know that if they ran from a dig or lower roll it would be spin city for the Supra.

I just loved the way that you could see RSKY being thrown back in his seat every time his boost kicked in= all while straining like a pilot in a G simulator trying to keep his head vertical.
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Sick runs OP!

Can you no-lift shift 3-4 or does it just roast the tires?

Originally Posted by Killemall
noob...how in the world is a 3900 pound 800 rwhp car so fast????????????????????
It's all in the transmission. The drivetrain losses of a manual with a shift time of almost nothing can do some awesome things.
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Some damn fast cars right there. I think the GTR quick shifting tranny is better for holding boost, and seems like he stuck in the powerband a lot better. I wouldn't mind seeing these races taken out to some higher speeds though.
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beans
Sick runs OP!

Can you no-lift shift 3-4 or does it just roast the tires?

It's all in the transmission. The drivetrain losses of a manual with a shift time of almost nothing can do some awesome things.
Agreed. Once the Supra goes to shift, the GTR takes the lead and doesn't give it back.
Old 11-22-2010 | 09:34 AM
Banned

Is this another example of a dyno queen?

Sick cars and sick *** video!
Old 11-22-2010 | 11:29 AM
Teching In

Its crazy they are so smooth. Hard to believe its 1000whp.
Old 11-22-2010 | 11:54 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

The supra's powerband is poop. Just when it starts goin good it's time to shift.
Old 11-22-2010 | 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Damn it. As a Supra owner and fan it pains me to say but I think the Supra is over turboed Have to call it a draw
Nice cars-both of you
Old 11-22-2010 | 02:03 PM
Teching In

yeah.. I was thinking the same thing as it being over turboed. There are a few turbo's that I have been looking at but I think I'm done modifying the supra. Another thing is that my car is to low as you watch the vid you can see the tires smoking at certain points.

As for the no lift shift.. I guess I could try that.. I think my shifts were dog slow. My power band isn't from 5000-8500 as well.

I thought I was pulling away from him. I guess I need to run him at 75-80 Mph and try and get him from the upper power band.
Old 11-22-2010 | 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The supra's powerband is poop. Just when it starts goin good it's time to shift.
Let me chime in here a bit. Driving a Supra is a lot different than driving a vette/fbody. With a 6 speed Supra you can't just downshift 3 honks and go, you need to brake boost, build boost and shift fast. Most of the people who kick *** with Supras are good at this real good at this, know where their shift points are and what roll to do.

He is also fighting traction with those 18s. A 1000whp car in general (vette viper supra) would have massive issues putting power to the pavement. There a vid on streetfire of a 1000whp procharged vette (ATX 427 or something like that) going against some 600rwhp cars and the 600whp put some cars on him until 120+ mph. Put a thicker tire and a driver mod who knows how to drive a Supra well and you will see the difference.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/roll...whp_728142.htm

That link is the vid I'm talking about. Power doesn't mean **** if you can't put it down.
Old 11-22-2010 | 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

i was shocked by the outcome of those vids i thought the supra would walk all over the gtr. But what a view of the mountains in some of those shots
Old 11-22-2010 | 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RSKY
yeah.. I was thinking the same thing as it being over turboed. There are a few turbo's that I have been looking at but I think I'm done modifying the supra. Another thing is that my car is to low as you watch the vid you can see the tires smoking at certain points.

As for the no lift shift.. I guess I could try that.. I think my shifts were dog slow. My power band isn't from 5000-8500 as well.

I thought I was pulling away from him. I guess I need to run him at 75-80 Mph and try and get him from the upper power band.
Man it just didnt look in the vids like you were pulling away...The vids honestly make it look like you were beaten or even every time except for maybe twice were you were maybe a car length ahead...

Seems like most agree..DAMMIT!!!!! I thought for sure the supra would take him out...I like noob a lot but being a random newcomer he's been on top for far too long now! RSKY....It's time for operation X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2010 | 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Killemall
Man it just didnt look in the vids like you were pulling away...
The supra is much faster when it's in boost. Unfortunately it's not easy to stay in boost.

The supra needs to find a way to keep the throttle plate open from the 3rd honk to the end. Straight power shifting will probably blow the tires off, but i think something like a "WOT Box" would be hugely beneficial for this car.
Old 11-22-2010 | 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fast cars!

no offense man. but supra is in horrible need of a driver mod... brake boosting and some shifting and the GTR would be left in the dust....