Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

G8 vs bolt-on/cam fox and S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010 | 12:00 PM

Default G8 vs bolt-on/cam fox and S4

Went out with a couple buddies last night to watch a money race between a couple fast cars, but that ended up going all to hell. Since we were out already we decided to line my car up against the 1990 foxbody that my brother raced recently:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...ppy-video.html

The Mustang has is an auto with bolt-ons, a mild cam, mild stall, 4.30 gears, and Nittos. The car went 13.8 @ 99 mph on the limiter going through the traps.

My car is stock and ran 13.5 @ 102.9 mph.

We went out to a good spot and lined up from a dig. Neither of us did a burnout, and I usually don't need to with the G8. It was like 20 degrees out, but I didn't think it would help much with the stock tires (haven't had a non-drag radial on my cars in many years before the G8, lol).

I honked it off and tried leaving a little hard, but ended up getting some wheel spin. He jumped out hard (even with those 4.30's his Nittos dead hooked) and got out about 2 cars on me. I was able to stop his pull, and maybe just start to creep back, but I wasn't anywhere close to catching him when he ran out of gear. Made for a fun race, but I wanted a second chance, thinking I got too amped up and launched aggressively.

We lined them up again from a dig and this time I launched it easier. Didn't seem to matter though as the results were the same. He jumped out about 2 cars as I spun a little and I just started creeping back, but wasn't getting near him when the race ended.

Later that night while screwing around, I tried a little burnout and the car launched much better. Lesson learned, haha.

We pulled off and shot the **** for a while, exchanging compliments all around.

We hung out for a good while longer and when it was time to head home it was that beautiful time of the night (morning) when there are almost zero cars anywhere. I figured that it would be a very uneventful ride home, but as I neared the highway I saw some headlights behind me. I took my time, figuring it was nothing, but as I cruised onto the highway at 45 mph, the car passed me, turning out to be a silver Audi S4.

I immediately got next to him and tried to look in, but his dark tints made it impossible. I had no idea or indication whether he wanted to race or not, but I manually downshifted anyway. As I sat there next to him at about 60 mph, with my car in 3rd gear, I heard him start to honk it off. I was excited that I was able to not only find a random race at this time of the night in December, but that the guy knew wtf he was doing!

On the 3rd honk we both hit it and the cars jumped out right next to each other. We wound it out to 130 mph with the cars right next to each other. At the top of every gear it looked like he was going to start pulling, but then he'd shift and stay right next to me. At 130 I got out of it (speed limiter is 135 mph).

He stayed in it a bit and I chased him down when he slowed. There were still no cars around so I lined up next to him and we started to slow down. There were a few lights around now, so I could see that he had a passenger in his car. We slowed to about 45 mph and I put it in 2nd gear. Again he honked it off and we both jumped on it, but this time I started pulling away from him. I got about 3/4 of a car or a car in front and then it looked like he stopped my pull and the cars stayed like that up to 130 mph where I let out.

We both got off the highway and pulled up next to him. We both said good races and he asked me what my car was and if it had a V8. I explained what it was and told him what I ran. He said his was a 2000 S4 with exhaust and a chip. I'm assuming that the chip raises the boost because I think they are only rated like 250 stock. We complimented each others car and went our seperate ways.

Overall it was a great night and better than one can hope for this time of year

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 12-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2010 | 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

That has got to be the luckiest race find ever. In December, middle of the night/morning, and he knew to honk it. Damn you are lucky! Sounds like a fun night!

Good read as usual.
Old 12-05-2010 | 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by WSsick
That has got to be the luckiest race find ever. In December, middle of the night/morning, and he knew to honk it. Damn you are lucky! Sounds like a fun night!

Good read as usual.
Thanks, man!

I was thinking the same thing! My buddy and I had just finished goofing around with our cars (he has a lid only WS6 and we were trying to figure out how to make for a close race between us ) and decided it was time to head home since no cars had passed by us in about 30 minutes. We go our seperate ways and then I run into this dude. My buddy was like wtf!? when I called him a few minutes later to tell him, haha.

It's hard enough to explain the idea of lining the cars up and honking it off when you have the chance to talk first. To find this guy and set up a mint, even start race with no prior communication ...it'll probably never happen to me again as long as I live...
Old 12-05-2010 | 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Always a good time. There's a kid here on campus with a stage 2 S4 who is wanting to run. We're going to set it up soon.
Old 12-05-2010 | 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

sweet!!!!!!

as usual
Old 12-05-2010 | 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

SRZ, great runs.

I think the S4 was catback/tune only, or one of lower powered tunes, because a proper stage 2 should be quicker. I have a friend with a Vast "stage 2+" and it moves very well. It pulls another friend's E46 M3 with ease.

Part of the problem with tuned S4s are the stock turbos don't last, at all. This could possibly be an issue with the car you ran.

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Always a good time. There's a kid here on campus with a stage 2 S4 who is wanting to run. We're going to set it up soon.
Looking forward to that thread. Find out what brand and boost level the tune is, if he is catless, etc. Stage 2s can vary widely.
Old 12-05-2010 | 05:56 PM
Banned

Nice runs! I love G8's. That will probably be the next car i buy.
Old 12-05-2010 | 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Nice races!
Old 12-05-2010 | 07:07 PM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Beans
I think the S4 was catback/tune only, or one of lower powered tunes, because a proper stage 2 should be quicker.
He just said exhaust and a chip, so I'm not sure on the specifics. He never mentioned anything about stage 2. Is that what stage 2 mods include? (I don't know much about those cars other than the fact that they can be built up nasty!)

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 12-05-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2010 | 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

He just said exhaust and a chip, so I'm not sure on the specifics. He never mentioned anything about stage 2. Is that what stage 2 mods include? (I don't know much about those cars other than the fact that they can be built up nasty!)
Usually with S4s:

Stage 1 : Tune Only
Stage 2: Catted exhaust and tune
Stage 2+ Catless Downpipes/exhaust, tune, possibly bolt ons
Stage 3: K04 turbos, full bolt ons, supporting mods, and often meth injection. 11s@ 120+
Old 12-05-2010 | 07:46 PM
Teching In

Someone always has to nitpick lol
Old 12-05-2010 | 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

... and decided it was time to head home since no cars had passed by us in about 30 minutes. We go our seperate ways and then I run into this dude. My buddy was like wtf!? when I called him a few minutes later to tell him, haha.

It's hard enough to explain the idea of lining the cars up and honking it off when you have the chance to talk first. To find this guy and set up a mint, even start race with no prior communication ...it'll probably never happen to me again as long as I live...
Every time I give up on anyone ever getting the honk thing right, I get surprised. Hang in there, it'll happen again just when you arent expecting it.

My brother hates me for how easy I get into races. He'll go out for 4 hours trying to find a race, while I'll get into multiple races just driving the 6 miles to his house. Or I'll hop into his car, with him shotgun, and get into a race just driving down to the gas station---- after me riding shotgun with him during a hour or two of cruising/looking for races. I just have the knack I guess.
Old 12-05-2010 | 09:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Good runs
Old 12-05-2010 | 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good runs! Good luck on the sale of your G8. I absolutely love those cars! If I ever screw up and knock a chick up, that'll be my go-to car for the "daddy wants to have fun" car
Old 12-05-2010 | 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Not to hijack or anything, but I was just on my way home tonight and found an S4 (I think) on my way home. It was a light blue, loud turbo, and had the little red badge on the back, but I couldn't see if it actually said S4 or not (weird lighting). It's also like 20* out, so I found it very similar to your story SRZ. Random race I did not expect. I was next to him being loud for a mile or 2, he would not play.
Old 12-06-2010 | 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

It was probably an A4 with a catback and S4 badges. He just felt bad for you that you could barely beat him with your big V8 so he didn't say anything.
Old 12-06-2010 | 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Beans
Usually with S4s:

Stage 1 : Tune Only
Stage 2: Catted exhaust and tune
Stage 2+ Catless Downpipes/exhaust, tune, possibly bolt ons
Stage 3: K04 turbos, full bolt ons, supporting mods, and often meth injection. 11s@ 120+
I could see/hear the catback, but I'm not sure on the rest of the exhaust. I figure the tune is probably good for a decent amount with the boost being bumped. I'd guess that car to be a 101-104 mph car, so whatever mods it would take to get it there

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Someone always has to nitpick lol
Where's the fun if there's no debate?

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Every time I give up on anyone ever getting the honk thing right, I get surprised. Hang in there, it'll happen again just when you arent expecting it.

My brother hates me for how easy I get into races. He'll go out for 4 hours trying to find a race, while I'll get into multiple races just driving the 6 miles to his house. Or I'll hop into his car, with him shotgun, and get into a race just driving down to the gas station---- after me riding shotgun with him during a hour or two of cruising/looking for races. I just have the knack I guess.
It's similar with PSM and myself. I seem to get more previously set up races and he just drives around and people run out into the street screaming, "come race me please!"

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Good runs! Good luck on the sale of your G8. I absolutely love those cars! If I ever screw up and knock a chick up, that'll be my go-to car for the "daddy wants to have fun" car
Thanks, man! Hopefully that never happens as I wouldn't wish it on anyone, haha. I have to say though that I love the G8 and for someone with a family it's the pefect fun car.

Originally Posted by WSsick
Not to hijack or anything, but I was just on my way home tonight and found an S4 (I think) on my way home. It was a light blue, loud turbo, and had the little red badge on the back, but I couldn't see if it actually said S4 or not (weird lighting). It's also like 20* out, so I found it very similar to your story SRZ. Random race I did not expect. I was next to him being loud for a mile or 2, he would not play.
That's more like my typical experience, haha. Find a cool car, following it around for a while trying to get their attention, get totally ignored until I give up

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
It was probably an A4 with a catback and S4 badges. He just felt bad for you that you could barely beat him with your big V8 so he didn't say anything.
He did say something about walking 600's on a regular basis...I didn't know A4's could do that
Old 12-06-2010 | 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

He did say something about walking 600's on a regular basis...I didn't know A4's could do that
Only the Stage 2+ ones; the regular Stage 2's don't have quite enough.