Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stock 510 HP Viper vs stock 436 HP Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone asked why i have a viper instead of z06.....well i bought my 2004 coupe c5 brandnew...it was awesome and worth every pennny of the 50k...but i quickly realized that to 95% of the people out their it was just a vette...a few would ask if it was a z06 and when i said no interest was all but lost...so i added z06 rims and z06 heads and cam. the car only went from 299 to 332 rwhp on the dyno and from 13.5 at 104 to 13.2 at 107 mph....air intake and exhaust only got it to 13.1 at 108 mph.....sickened by the sad performance and still seeing that despite changeing my vettes heart to ls6 specs people still didnt care...so ii added a more agressive 224/224 cam and dynoed 378 rwhp and ran 12.8 at 111 mph...i even added black racing stripes and had the rear fascia painted black...despite the consistent 12s (fast at my track)hawaiis slow...lol and agressive styling still no one even noticed...the final straw was when me and rsky cruised one night ...him in his white 2005 nsx with its stock 275 rwhp and me in my
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Head and cammed 378 rwhp white c5 with black racing stripes and black z06 rims.....several people walked by and gave him compliments on the nsx...one group even talked to him for twenty minutes asking question after question about the exotic nsx...as they were about to leave one of them threw the nice vette bone...like an old dog desperate for attention as everyone praises the puppy i slowly walked forward bent over and picked up my lowly bone....that day i learned an important lesson..your ride can have big power and nice looks and all .....but a vette next to an exotic like an nsx just disapears...people see vettes all the time..rather you have a 400 hp 2005 c6 or a 638 hp 2010 zr1 to most people its just a vette........however i still was nt discouraged...i would have a c6z06...the first dealership wanted 20k over sticker....no way in hell i was paying 90k...nor could i afford 90k....the base 70k was gonna be a stretch but doable...so the next dealership said they could sell it to me for msrp..but i would
Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Would be on a waiting list for 18 months....sighn me up i said....so about a month later i cruised by a dealership and saw a 99 viper in red sitting there....holy **** it looked awesome and was only the third one id ever seen....they wanted 43k for it...less than i paid for my c5!!!...i checked the specs and 0 to 60 in 4.0 and 11.9 at 120 in a few mags.....not quite z06 specs but freaken fast for 2006 and a bit faster than my vette.....but still i wanted the z06 and 1999 was kinda old....so i tried to forget about it...but i passed it a few more times and i just couldnt get over how extic/kool it looked....i traded my vette in for it and thena month later put a new red paint job on it to make it perfect...car was a beaste..though it only dynoed 25 rwhp and 100 more rwt in stock form then my modded vette...it was a completely differant driveing experiance. i almost wrecked it just leaving a stop sign in the first 20 minutes of ownership...torquey is an understatement....i cruised with rsky again and this time
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

damn.....how is the air out there in Hawaii?
with those time you ran in your vette, my slobalt would of out ran you you
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Launching!

Things were much more even..people were snapping there knecks over both cars...what he had in exotic european style looks i had in wild curves...what he had in amazeing interior i had in a 450 hp 490 tourque v10...mine at 73k for a 99 and his at 89k for a 2005 they were atleaste somewhat close in price as well as very close in rarity...unlike my mass produced 50k vette...

but after about 100 street races i wrecked it raceing no other than rsky himself in his...you guessed it yellow c6z06....lol..the car i was suppossed to be getting.....but it was a great thing....insurance gave me 45k for a car i only paid 43k for...i then bought it back from insurance and sold the salvage to a friend...all said and done i made 13k....so now with 13k in my pocket and z06s at msrp...it was time...problem was that after haveing the exotic v10 viper the vette just didnt excite me anymore...so i found a srt10 viper for a lil under 60k and had it shipped to hawaiii...though not quite as fast as a z06...11.7 at 123 mph was still
Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Pretty insane back in 2007...as well with an upgraded interior and the srt10 styling being my favorite...plus a true convertable top for the hawaiian weather...well i was more than happy....as far as the convertable do some research..the srt10 convertable kicked just about everythings *** in the quartermile and on road courses...it even beat the fordgt in a head to head comparison in 2005..as well it dusted the porshett on the road course. that convertable viper was devloped to kick the 2002 gts acr's *** in every way and it did and took the viper to a higher performance catergory...

i think the z06 is awesome..but i know what its like to have a vette parked next to a nsx/viper or even 360 ferrari when i used to do road courses...the vette just disapears..sure your gonna have a few vette/chevy lovers who praise you vette/z06/zr1....but people who know nothing about cars dont know the differance..but they some how do know the viper/nsx/mnoble/porshett/lold school lotus ect.Is somthing special...after havein
Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Launching!

That feeling of.rolling up in somthing halfway special..its hard to imagine getting back in a vette...and the way women respond..well thats a whole nother subject.....

Did this on my phone so forgive the numerous mistakes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Teching In

thanks for the laughs. dude.. it's NECK. I can't get over how you spell it like it's knife or knowledge. no there is no silent K in neck. Stop trying to make it more special than it really is. Like your viper. ouch!

Jk.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Launching!

Your z is just makes em turn there necks...mine makes em turn there kneck...just sayin..j/k

the air in hawaii is 75-90 degrees and it rains every day...so its horrible weather...

the weather is so bad that my 13.5 was amazeing for a stock ls1...out of 20 fbodies and 5 c5s i was tied for first place with a ws6 manual that also ran 13.5 stock...the other 24 fbodies and vipers went 13.7-14.1 stock....

google phfba (pearl harbor fbody association) and the times may still be there
Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Now wait a second.... where did you hear these rumors? You really think Fiat's going to allow a 700+ horsepower AWD Viper to EVER come to production?
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/moto...per-confirmed/

http://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/2012-dodge-viper.html

But I'll look at the magazines again. I believe it was car and driver that said possiblitlity and they brought up awd and traction control since it is required. Those 2010 and under don't have traction control. It's a die hard sport car if you know what I mean. I can't wait to see what they do.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Teching In

My points were ignored...
Anyway thanks for coming right out and admitting you bought the Viper as a ***** extension. I can now lol @ u in every thread.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaunt
It's not my jurisdiction here, I just loiter.

However, just quickly popping through the rules... I did find this one.

With the obvious exception of designated BS threads of course.
Imo it's the so - called "designated BS" threads that cause all the **** actually, and it carries forward into EVERY other thread for a few days too. Ever notice that what one user posts is considered "designated BS", and yet what another one posts is considered "trolling"? If Stopsign (I don't mean to center the guy out here, he does that himself-just saying ) can throw up a thread of one car beating another, neither of which was his, and not even type a line or two of reference info (he types nothing actually) than I think the point is void. THOSE are the threads that Jay and friends shouldn't even let see the light of day. They don't even foster good conversations imo, but whatever, I am not modding the section, they are...

Originally Posted by Mr370z
So then why are you driving an '03 Viper instead of any year C6Z06?
x2

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
A bunch of old guys who take their cars out twice a year are hardly the crowd to base performance numbers off.
x2000000
Originally Posted by Killemall
Head and cammed 378 rwhp white c5 with black racing stripes and black z06 rims.....several people walked by and gave him compliments on the nsx...one group even talked to him for twenty minutes asking question after question about the exotic nsx...as they were about to leave one of them threw the nice vette bone...like an old dog desperate for attention as everyone praises the puppy i slowly walked forward bent over and picked up my lowly bone....that day i learned an important lesson..your ride can have big power and nice looks and all .....but a vette next to an exotic like an nsx just disapears...people see vettes all the time..rather you have a 400 hp 2005 c6 or a 638 hp 2010 zr1 to most people its just a vette........however i still was nt discouraged...i would have a c6z06...the first dealership wanted 20k over sticker....no way in hell i was paying 90k...nor could i afford 90k....the base 70k was gonna be a stretch but doable...so the next dealership said they could sell it to me for msrp..but i would
What was the lesson? That you care a little too much about what others think? Nice write up though, I guess we all can't be the same. The thing is though that when you buy something like a used lambo (like someone else suggested) you also get all the pains in the *** that go with it, like higher-than-fair maintenance costs (not that vettes are cheap, but lambos are a league up in the maintenance cost dept). Also, there are very few actual Lambo dealerships in some areas etc, but to each their own. I personally would take a vette over a viper any day of the week for the record, that's why I'm here I suppose bustin' your nut, fightin' the good fight lol. As far as the argument that there are too many vettes around, why do you think that is? Cost? Performance? Both? Hmmm. I can understand why someone would want a Viper, but not why they'd waste their time posting up such a pointless thread. It makes guys like me have to post up pointless retorts Jk.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Imo it's the so - called "designated BS" threads that cause all the **** actually, and it carries forward into EVERY other thread for a few days too. Ever notice that what one user posts is considered "designated BS", and yet what another one posts is considered "trolling"? If Stopsign (I don't mean to center the guy out here, he does that himself-just saying ) can throw up a thread of one car beating another, neither of which was his, and not even type a line or two of reference info (he types nothing actually) than I think the point is void. THOSE are the threads that Jay and friends shouldn't even let see the light of day. They don't even foster good conversations imo, but whatever, I am not modding the section, they are...
For the record, Jay and PSM do a fantastic job with this section, given the chest thumping and high amounts of estrogen that ooze out of some posters.

If you don't like what's posted, nobody forces you to click on SR&K.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^For the record, lighten up chum You are WAY too serious if you thought I was bustin' on our mods. I know what you guys put up with Notice the and "jk" that I place in my text? No need to get your panties in a bunch, sorry to offend you, sir.

Last edited by oddwraith; 12-21-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: speeling and clarifuncation
Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killemall
Like i said. i was well aware of what stock c5's could do and had big hopes of the LS2's being right there with the C5Z06..What we got however after a 7 year wait was a car that barely ran 12's...I started a C6 LS2 list..but after the first 30 entries all being 13.0-13.2 at 106-110 mph I just couldnt take the disapointment and gave up..Hell..even 111 mph trapps seemed great for th 2005's!
It's a lot closer than you think my friend.

Bone-stock C5 Z06 vs Bone-stock C6 6-speed Manual

Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
It's a lot closer than you think my friend.

Bone-stock C5 Z06 vs Bone-stock C6 6-speed Manual

Wow, closer than I thought too actually. Nice find
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I completely understand where the OP is coming from. Corvettes are just way too common. I nearly leapt out of the car the first time I saw a Viper. Unfortunately, just like with every other Dodge/Chrysler you pay a lot more for a lot less in performance.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
I completely understand where the OP is coming from. Corvettes are just way too common. I nearly leapt out of the car the first time I saw a Viper. Unfortunately, just like with every other Dodge/Chrysler you pay a lot more for a lot less in performance.

I will agree that Vipers look badass! I am not much on the notes, but how does one not like a Viper? I mean joking aside, I only would take the Vette over the Viper any day for reasons of cost and such. But, I have to agree with Killemall though, Vipers get more attention for sure. Hell I still remember drooling over the one in the first Nutty Proffessor w/ Eddie Murphy. God I wanted a Viper so bad back then. A friend of mine since got one and so I got to live vicariously a little lol.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gaunt
For the record, Jay and PSM do a fantastic job with this section, given the chest thumping and high amounts of estrogen that ooze out of some posters.

If you don't like what's posted, nobody forces you to click on SR&K.
Bit sensitive there I see. Guy is just giving his opinion and you take it waaay out to left field. lol
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Bit sensitive there I see. Guy is just giving his opinion and you take it waaay out to left field. lol
I know right?

Quick Reply: stock 510 HP Viper vs stock 436 HP Vette