Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got beat...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was a 120 car, it was either a very well prepped stock turbo car, or a basic upgrade like an FP Red turbo.

I hate to add insult to injury, but a sorted 35R car probably would have pulled you harder.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killemall
location location location..

Here in hawaii stock sti's and evo's trapped 97 mph..96-99 mph. Never saw one get to 100 mph stock..They came in droves..10-15 cars..

112 mph was the fastest mph we saw out of one with mods...of course this is the same track were my head/cammed auto C5 with 380 rwhp only trapped 109-111 mph max...

So you get the idea. Regardless 110 mph trapps for a LT1 still is impressive too me. Ive seen those things dyno and even with cam/supercharger they were still only high 300's..380 rwhp if memory serves. he could at a minimum take out an intake/exhaust LS1 Im sure
LOL..not true at all. There were 4 EVO's on this island that would outrap your Viper. Maybe if you raced in the Fastest Street car shoot outs and not the every joe Fri/Sat nite races you would have seen that. There are currently 3 or 4 600+ rwhp evos on island and a few 400-500 rwhp STI's as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of the best races I've ever had was with an Evo with bolt ons, controller, and tune. Went 6 times and it was very close each time. (I was just bolt ons.) He later got an FP Red and I started spraying. Good race down low, but it was murder above 100. Bad *** cars. Good death OP.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

...nitrous... I guess it's good for drag racing or street racing, but I like the power to be there all the time, otherwise I'll just be refilling nitrous bottles all the time, and I imagine that could get expensive. Lol. For a race car, I would maybe go nitrous, but for a street car, never.

I'm sure with nitrous I could have hung with the evo or even pulled on him. Mind you our little run was very short because of traffic. We really only went from like 60-100 or so. either way hard to say. But I'd love to have an EVO myself. I think they are a lot better cars than sti's regarding performance. Although I'd give reliability to the subaru over a mitsubishi anyday.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
...nitrous... I guess it's good for drag racing or street racing, but I like the power to be there all the time, otherwise I'll just be refilling nitrous bottles all the time, and I imagine that could get expensive. Lol. For a race car, I would maybe go nitrous, but for a street car, never.

I'm sure with nitrous I could have hung with the evo or even pulled on him. Mind you our little run was very short because of traffic. We really only went from like 60-100 or so. either way hard to say. But I'd love to have an EVO myself. I think they are a lot better cars than sti's regarding performance. Although I'd give reliability to the subaru over a mitsubishi anyday.
Lmao you just totally contradicted yorself in those two paragraphs.
You would have pulled him on the bottle. Fill up all the.time? Average use from a 10 lb. Bottle you will get around ten sprays, possibly more depending on shot size. You do that much racing?
I fill my bottle about once every other month or more..40$ a fill.. I have a nice little kit and have 700 bucks in it.. it will take me a loooooooong time to get to BASE price of some of the cheapest forced induction kits.. hell even used prices. I love forced induction but for the price, easy of install and use, and keeping perfect driving manners, you can't beat nitrous.

In my opinion I would rather want nitrous on a street car and forced induction on a race car... especially a turbo.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
I would think that Hawaii would have higher trapping cars since it's right at sea level?

My brother's evo with bolt on's and more boost handed it real bad to my 104 mph trap shelby GT. Took me by a good 6 cars haha. I'm pretty sure he had around a 110-112 mph evo.
DA out here is horrible due to the humidity and high temps year round. Now I could be worng, but on a good morning you'll get in the low teens for a DA, but most days are 3000'-4000' even though we are at sea level.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Although I'd give reliability to the subaru over a mitsubishi anyday.
Maybe if both cars are bone stock.

Subarus are notorious for eating stock pistons at near stock power levels, weak transmissions, cast rods, plastic intercooler end tanks that leak on many models, etc.

Not saying mitsus don't have issues, but you can reliably make 500whp for years on a stock Evo. Try to do that with a subaru and you need to invest a lot more.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
keeping perfect driving manners, you can't beat nitrous.

In my opinion I would rather want nitrous on a street car and forced induction on a race car... especially a turbo.
How so? I could drive either of my cars out of boost all day if I wanted without trying. Put the foot down and power is there. No need to open a bottle or check bottle pressure or any of that ****. Just a switch or 2 to control If I want 300-400- or 500whp.

The only advantage nitrous has is cost.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:38 PM
***Repost Police***

Good run, honorable death
Old 12-25-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever I do next if I decide to do more to my trans am, it will be turbo or supercharger. Heads and bigger cam won't be enough. I want to have the kind of power to hang with zr1's and vipers. Plus, I think the driveablilty of a boosted car is better than a NA car with huge power. V8 plus boost is beastly!
Def my favorite combination for power!

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
DA out here is horrible due to the humidity and high temps year round. Now I could be worng, but on a good morning you'll get in the low teens for a DA, but most days are 3000'-4000' even though we are at sea level.
Yea I didn't even think about those factors. I was mainly thinking elevation, but I totally forgot about humidity and high temp as well!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
How so? I could drive either of my cars out of boost all day if I wanted without trying. Put the foot down and power is there. No need to open a bottle or check bottle pressure or any of that ****. Just a switch or 2 to control If I want 300-400- or 500whp.

The only advantage nitrous has is cost.
Not for that reason. The vast majority of the time you will have a fraction of the problems out of a nitrous kit than you will a turbo build.

The only one? It doesn't make same tq as a turbo? it has lag? Weather effects a nitrous car like a turbo car?

I love all 3 types of power adders. But being un biased I can truthfully say that in my opinion nitrous is hands down the best for an all around weekend warrior/DD car and and has a nice fighting spot at the track with me.

I would go further in detail but posing from Droid
Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beans
Maybe if both cars are bone stock.

Subarus are notorious for eating stock pistons at near stock power levels,
This was only an issue with 07's and "near stock power levels" is misleading. 400whp is about the limit.

weak transmissions,
you're thinking of wrx's

cast rods,
both have forged rods so this is false. insufficient oiling at high RPM which leads to bearing failure.

plastic intercooler end tanks that leak on many models,
no sti in existence has had plastic end tanks. The FXT, LGT and 06+ wrx's had them but this was not a major issue.

Not saying mitsus don't have issues, but you can reliably make 500whp for years on a stock Evo. Try to do that with a subaru and you need to invest a lot more
Inline 4 iron block with twinscroll header and twice the size turbo, stock > subaru

apples to oranges....
Old 12-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTO Jimbo

Inline 4 iron block with twinscroll header and twice the size turbo, stock > subaru

apples to oranges....
How is it apples to oranges? The cars were built the compete with eachother. Obviously the EVO is a better car in engine performance.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I can't even believe that someone said to race an Evo from a dig My old GSX was a beast on the street from a dig with just a 20g, big injectors, and basic bolt ons. From a dig I could scare the **** out of just about anything out there because out of the hole I would have an easy 2 lengths then shift to second gain another 1 to 1 1/2 lengths. A fast car could reel that in easy enough, but how many actual 600whp cars are out there on the roads daily, and how many want to push it past 120+ on the street after being handed atleast 3 cars out of the gate? A bone stock GSX will pull a bone stock WS6 hard out of the hole to 50-55mph every time, and then the LS1 starts to scream as the 4G63 can't push enough through the T-25. I have seen Vettes shut it down on my 1st to 2nd shift because they couldn't hook, didn't expect what the car could do, or they lost the will to stay in it as I looked faster than what I was. If you add a 150 shot and you could run with plenty of Evo's or DSM's as 450whp is common among them now. Anything above that and your racing a guy who has quite a bit of time and money invested into his Mitsu and your probably in for a loss unless your set up for big spray or boost. This only applies to the street from a dig and occasional roll on. At the track AWD meets its match with big tire, slicked RWD's.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
How is it apples to oranges? The cars were built the compete with eachother. Obviously the EVO is a better car in engine performance.
The 4G63 wins by default.
The motors are nothing alike and not designed on the same principles. The engine used in the USDM STi's were designed (and only used) for the US market.

I'm not trying to make this into a "my car is better because it makes XX power per litre" or some other ricer math. I'm just stating, the 4g63 has everything needed to make serious power. Doing that with a subaru requires more work and was never intended.

I've owned both. Each have their pros and cons.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTO Jimbo
This was only an issue with 07's and "near stock power levels" is misleading. 400whp is about the limit.
400whp is well beyond the reliable limit. A friend of mine owns a subaru shop, in the past month i've seen 3 bolt-on STis come in with cracked ring lands, and one of them was the owners nearly stock daily driver. I can't remember the year, but his car is earlier than an 07.

One of the cars (an 07) is very basic and would be lucky to make 330whp. Sure, thats considerably more power than stock, but with the few mods it takes to get there, i don't consider it a heavily modded car.

you're thinking of wrx's
True, STi trans are decent. I lumped the WRX in with the STi.

both have forged rods so this is false. insufficient oiling at high RPM which leads to bearing failure.
I thought they were cast, but i just looked it up and you're right, the pistons are cast but the rods are forged.

The oil starvation issue was pretty famous, and they failed to fix it for years. Have they gotten around to it, or are the 2010s and 2011s still eating bearings?

no sti in existence has had plastic end tanks. The FXT, LGT and 06+ wrx's had them but this was not a major issue.
I said on many models, i didn't say it was on the STI.

How is an end tank famous for cracking and causing huge boost leaks not a major issue? I have a friend who just had his car tuned, only to realize he had a cracked end tank, had to buy a new intercooler, and pay to have the car retuned...all because subaru is too cheap to spend the extra dollar per car to make sure an important component is made of appropriate materials. Subarus aren't cheap, i'd expect more from cars sold at their price point.

apples to oranges....
These cars are direct competitors, with the subaru coming in a few thousand dollars more expensive.

Different layout, yes.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Killemall;14277198]location location location..

This.... A evo with a boost controller and tune wouldn't trap 110 here in kc.
But honorable death op. Iv'e seen some fast one's here.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beans
400whp is well beyond the reliable limit. A friend of mine owns a subaru shop, in the past month i've seen 3 bolt-on STis come in with cracked ring lands, and one of them was the owners nearly stock daily driver. I can't remember the year, but his car is earlier than an 07.

One of the cars (an 07) is very basic and would be lucky to make 330whp. Sure, thats considerably more power than stock, but with the few mods it takes to get there, i don't consider it a heavily modded car.

It's all in the tune.
Numbers vary place to place but I'm just speaking from what I've seen.
Out of all my buddies, only one has had an issue with his motor. (stock block with an ATP 3076 turbo. It's an 07 too, go figure. )

Have they gotten around to it, or are the 2010s and 2011s still eating bearings?
They upgraded to a bigger oil pump in 08.

I said on many models, i didn't say it was on the STI.

How is an end tank famous for cracking and causing huge boost leaks not a major issue? I have a friend who just had his car tuned, only to realize he had a cracked end tank, had to buy a new intercooler, and pay to have the car retuned...all because subaru is too cheap to spend the extra dollar per car to make sure an important component is made of appropriate materials. Subarus aren't cheap, i'd expect more from cars sold at their price point.
Again, In my experience, this has never been an issue. Most people who mod their car chuck the stock IC. It just plain sucks and doesn't flow well. If you plan on running higher boost, the sti unit is recommend and can be found for cheap. Throw a meth kit on there and you're golden.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Although I'd give reliability to the subaru over a mitsubishi anyday
ima have to go with beans here. from my experience a stock subaru is a good one but once modded they tend to blow the **** up. in our group here we have a LGT, several WRX's and STi's and they all have problems. LGT is now on his second motor from blowing a ring land (stage 2) 2 of the wrx's have had motor swaps due to blowing up the stock motor, and one of the STi's **** a bearing and blew a ring land when he was 311whp. they are grossly unreliable and have many many issues. but there is an evo in our group as well and that ****** has yet to break. 90k of just about the worst abuse i have ever seen on a car. its a 05? with stock turbo@29psi, cams/meth, full bolt ons. he revs it to 8k, does 6k clutch dumps everywhere and the only thing he had to put in it was a clutch. im VERY surprised how well evo's hold together. but have been VERY dissappointed with subarus.

and maybe a evo 9 could hit 110 traps in very good air with a boost controller and tune but not an 8. my buddies 05 with tbe, tune, 22psi trapped 107 and he is a very good driver.

Last edited by V8EATR; 12-26-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Well, in general an EVO may be able to handle more than stock power levels, but subaru's are known for being just as reliable as toyota's. I would trust subaru over mitusbishi any day of you're talking stock for stock. I had a legacy with 322k miles everything in the car still worked!! Power, windows, power sunroof, the ABS still worked, no check engine lights! Amazing for being all original.

Also to Lemons 12,
I'm not contradicting myself. I don't just floor it when I'm racing, I like to drive my car! If I'm on a mountain road or see a long straight and nobody's around I open it up, I do that everyday I drive, so what I'm saying is yes...I would be refilling the bottle all the time. Over the course of a few months nitrous would probably grow to be more expensive than the boosted route based off of my driving habits.

and from what I've read both the evo and sti have cast crank and rods. neither one has reliability above 400whp. Not to say that people don't push that limit, just like people push the limits of ls1's and lt1's. However, my EVO friend tells me the weak link on nearly all mitsubishi's is the crank. He says they are garbage. I don't see too many high mileage mitsubishi's, if any...

Quick Reply: I got beat...