Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got beat...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
and from what I've read both the evo and sti have cast crank and rods. neither one has reliability above 400whp. Not to say that people don't push that limit, just like people push the limits of ls1's and lt1's. However, my EVO friend tells me the weak link on nearly all mitsubishi's is the crank. He says they are garbage. I don't see too many high mileage mitsubishi's, if any...
Your friend has no clue, plane and simple. You can make more than 500whp reliably on a stock DSM bottom end, and the Evo stuff is even stronger. The pistons are cast from T6 aluminum, the crank and rods are both forged steel, and mitsu cranks are almost unbreakable.

It's not hard to find stock crank Mitsus making huge power. I can think of a few local guys trapping 145+ on the stock crank...for years. I actually cant think of a stock crank failure that wasn't caused by a bad dampener or transplanting one mitsu crank (4g64) into another type of mitsu engine (4g63).

One local car in particular made 800whp on a heartbreaker dyno (about 900 on a dynojet) @ 50psi from a GT42, turned the boost to 65psi at the track (127lbs/min airflow), and blew the aftermarket rods out of it when he came across the traps. Stock crank with who knows how many miles, easily 1000whp. That car also holds the DSM top speed record, and ran mid 9s @ 150+ for several years on a 35R. Stock crank.

Evo cranks are just as strong, if not stronger.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FEARSM
LOL..not true at all. There were 4 EVO's on this island that would outrap your Viper. Maybe if you raced in the Fastest Street car shoot outs and not the every joe Fri/Sat nite races you would have seen that. There are currently 3 or 4 600+ rwhp evos on island and a few 400-500 rwhp STI's as well.
CED...Your getting a lil old bro...I guess that means they could pull your supra as well then right? being that you have never been able to pull away from me in a race...?

Not once did I say my viper this or my viper that. I said my C5 vette. BTW..Anyone could simply go to the Hawaii sti/evo forum and see there top standings for modified cars. 112 was the highest trapp.

If you ran some monsters then great. I never did and they arent listed on the hawaii sti/evo clubs standings..

maybe theres a reason they wernt listed??????

Ken and I ran into two 600 rwhp Evos while rolling the nsx's a few years back. They actually tried and tried to race us but we didnt bite that night. So Im aware that they exist.

Just chill out a lil....No reason to always be talking about my viper??????

Or is there?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beans
Your friend has no clue, plane and simple. You can make more than 500whp reliably on a stock DSM bottom end, and the Evo stuff is even stronger. The pistons are cast from T6 aluminum, the crank and rods are both forged steel, and mitsu cranks are almost unbreakable.

It's not hard to find stock crank Mitsus making huge power. I can think of a few local guys trapping 145+ on the stock crank...for years. I actually cant think of a stock crank failure that wasn't caused by a bad dampener or transplanting one mitsu crank (4g64) into another type of mitsu engine (4g63).

One local car in particular made 800whp on a heartbreaker dyno (about 900 on a dynojet) @ 50psi from a GT42, turned the boost to 65psi at the track (127lbs/min airflow), and blew the aftermarket rods out of it when he came across the traps. Stock crank with who knows how many miles, easily 1000whp. That car also holds the DSM top speed record, and ran mid 9s @ 150+ for several years on a 35R. Stock crank.

Evo cranks are just as strong, if not stronger.
Gotta agree here.

I've been getting into the 3s cars (Mitsubishi 3000gt and Dodge stealth<mitsu built) and the forged cranks in these 6g72's have been to 1000+ awhp without a problem. Stock long blocks are good to 600awhp. However they did use cast cranks from 91-92. And yeah those ate POS. Some have gotten 4-500awhp without a problem, and some have broken those cast cranks at stock power.

Mitsu can build one helluva stout engine, the 4 bolt main v6 I have for my stealth looks rediculos over built and beefy. Have pics if anyone cares to look. However the rest of the car is well a Mitsubishi, lots of little bugs...

Gotta friend with an 07 sti. Stock it was fun a very reliable. Soon as he started Modding reliability won't out the window. Has had lots of problems with it. Blew the stock motor with a cat back, cat deletes, cai, and a tune. But yeah it was an 07 ate bearings.

Awd is fun though!

Last edited by Fazz73jr; 12-26-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Beans and Fazz, I thought crankwalk was a prevalent issue with 2nd gen dsm's. Isn't that the case? I know for mitsu their has been a lot of debate as to how well the SST dual clutch trans would hold power in the new Evo X MR's. Supposedly the 400awhp area is it's max threshold. The GSR with the 5speed is where it's at if you want more power.

BTW, I love this pic. Always made me chuckle.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
Hey Beans and Fazz, I thought crankwalk was a prevalent issue with 2nd gen dsm's. Isn't that the case? I know for mitsu their has been a lot of debate as to how well the SST dual clutch trans would hold power in the new Evo X MR's. Supposedly the 400awhp area is it's max threshold. The GSR with the 5speed is where it's at if you want more power.
The stock thrust bearing is inadequate and doesn't hold the crank in place on 7 bolt DSMs. It's not an issue with the crank itself. 6 bolt DSMs and Evos have never had this issue. OP's friend told him Evo cranks were weak, and that's not the case at all.

I haven't followed developments with the X MR, but the power limit was lower than that when they first came out. If you want to make power, you need the X without the dual clutch trans. The dual clutch simply wasn't meant to take AWD launches at 400+whp. I can't remember what the issue was, maybe overheating? All i know is the computer freaks out and kills the fun, but the trans itself doesn't fail.

This happens with other types of DCT cars that are drag raced. BMW has the same problem with the DCT trans overheating if the car is repeatedly launched, especially with more power and better rubber. I don't really follow exotics, but i'd bet there are other DCT cars with similar issues.

Last edited by Beans; 12-26-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not really sure on the 4cyl dsm stuff. From what i understand it happens when you start swapping cranks. But IDK. The 6cyl 6g72 and 6g74 dont have that problem.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Professional awesome (close friends of mine) run a stock EV07 block with E85, BC272 cams, ARP studs and a modified stock turbo (with the wastegate held shut) have trapped a best of 120 I think. Its a time attack car, but it has a 8 point cage which probably puts it near stock weight.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanisfast
Also to Lemons 12,
I'm not contradicting myself. I don't just floor it when I'm racing, I like to drive my car! If I'm on a mountain road or see a long straight and nobody's around I open it up, I do that everyday I drive, so what I'm saying is yes...I would be refilling the bottle all the time. Over the course of a few months nitrous would probably grow to be more expensive than the boosted route based off of my driving habits.
I'm with you on that brother. Having a nitrous button is like putting crack in front of a crack addict and telling him not to touch it. It ain't gonna happen.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there any exterior way to tell apart an Evo VIII from an IX? There's two in my neighborhood (with lovely sounding fart cannons I might add) and they're not X's. Just trying to figure out which ones they are.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beans
The stock thrust bearing is inadequate and doesn't hold the crank in place on 7 bolt DSMs. It's not an issue with the crank itself. 6 bolt DSMs and Evos have never had this issue. OP's friend told him Evo cranks were weak, and that's not the case at all.

I haven't followed developments with the X MR, but the power limit was lower than that when they first came out. If you want to make power, you need the X without the dual clutch trans. The dual clutch simply wasn't meant to take AWD launches at 400+whp. I can't remember what the issue was, maybe overheating? All i know is the computer freaks out and kills the fun, but the trans itself doesn't fail.

This happens with other types of DCT cars that are drag raced. BMW has the same problem with the DCT trans overheating if the car is repeatedly launched, especially with more power and better rubber. I don't really follow exotics, but i'd bet there are other DCT cars with similar issues.
Yeah, you may be right. It just may be that the mass production dct type transmissions aren't really where they need to be to support higher power levels, but then again that could be said about a 4l60e too. Nothing is designed to take twice te power it was intended to take.

If I ever get an evo it would definitely be manual.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Launching!

we have a guy with an evo here that's an 11.1 car..... raced him in my 13 sec trans am for fun.... all i saw was his ***... and a fireball when he let off. lol.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree. Good death. Properly built evos and dsms are nothing to mess around with. They will wipe the floor with you if you're not on top of your game. My buddy has a talon that dumps on my T/A and all the C5's around here lol.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Coming from DSM's to the V8 world has been fun. Different cars and experiences, but I also now know what to look for in fast DSM's, Evo's, STi's, etc. At this point in time 2G DSM's are 16 years old. The only real clean one's left are either the pure stockers or the one's owned by people who love the idea of fast, well built DSM's that they can launch at 7K+. If you find one with nice stock paint, simple but good size exhuast, a fairly large intercooler, and a loudish idle similar to a small V8 then your probably in for an *** whipping from a dig no matter what your in. If you find one that has a triple decker wing, large AEM intake stickers, 20's, and a ram air hood you better win or start modding whatever the hell your in real fast because you have hit your life's ultimate fail point. The car I have in the pic can be found throughout the DSM community, known as "Gas Stroker". This is an 8.80 at 165mph car and was in the low 9's and still streetable. Scary car to meet even for the fastest cars on this board, especially on the street.
Attached Thumbnails I got beat...-.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chaotic Deconstruct
Coming from DSM's to the V8 world has been fun. Different cars and experiences, but I also now know what to look for in fast DSM's, Evo's, STi's, etc. At this point in time 2G DSM's are 16 years old. The only real clean one's left are either the pure stockers or the one's owned by people who love the idea of fast, well built DSM's that they can launch at 7K+. If you find one with nice stock paint, simple but good size exhuast, a fairly large intercooler, and a loudish idle similar to a small V8 then your probably in for an *** whipping from a dig no matter what your in. If you find one that has a triple decker wing, large AEM intake stickers, 20's, and a ram air hood you better win or start modding whatever the hell your in real fast because you have hit your life's ultimate fail point. The car I have in the pic can be found throughout the DSM community, known as "Gas Stroker". This is an 8.80 at 165mph car and was in the low 9's and still streetable. Scary car to meet even for the fastest cars on this board, especially on the street.
Nice! When I was younger I really waned to have one of the AWD turbo Talons. I used to love them. But like you said, now to find a good one to even start with as a base is difficult. I'd more than likely have to start building the whole thing from scratch.

There was a guy in my high school with one and it had a super loud BOV. but watching him gun it in that car in first gear was insane. It always looked like it was about to rip the pavement out the ground!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic Deconstruct
The only real clean one's left are either the pure stockers or the one's owned by people who love the idea of fast, well built DSM's that they can launch at 7K+. If you find one with nice stock paint, simple but good size exhuast, a fairly large intercooler, and a loudish idle similar to a small V8 then your probably in for an *** whipping from a dig no matter what your in. If you find one that has a triple decker wing, large AEM intake stickers, 20's, and a ram air hood you better win or start modding whatever the hell your in real fast because you have hit your life's ultimate fail point.
Good post, all spot on.

In the Mitsu world, the Greddy BOV solutes at 2500rpm, the fart cans or stickers usually mean you're looking at a slow car.

It's the clean ones you usually need to be careful of.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
Not to hijack the thread, but is there any exterior way to tell apart an Evo VIII from an IX? There's two in my neighborhood (with lovely sounding fart cannons I might add) and they're not X's. Just trying to figure out which ones they are.
Here you go:

EVO VIII

EVO IX

Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

There's a whole seperate branch of Tech in here eh?

Quick Reply: I got beat...