Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran up against another '11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011 | 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I actually still go into Car Chat... been going there since 1998. It's not nearly as ridiculous now as it used to be, and I've actually gotten some great deals on car parts from some of the other regulars in there.
Hmmm.... I ain't goin' back! Sounds better already, after 10yrs, I still don't miss it yet. AOL wasn't the 1st or 2nd website for me anyway, so breaking off was easy.
Old 01-07-2011 | 05:09 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by It'llrun
What was I wrong about? To that end... You really did muck it up in a MASSIVE way.

For the record... WRONG! Look it up. The IROC was available with the 350 TPI... NO other Camaro could have that engine from 1985 through 1990(1981 through 90 is probably more accurate)... You couldn't SEE the difference aside from the stickers, unless you knew what to look for. The engines looked identical, but if you saw an 8 as the engine code, you were looking at a true IROC... That said, the 5.0 was also available in the IROC.

There wasnt a 350 tpi in 85. And Im sorry I was wrong about there being no z28 in 85-87. There was only a iroc from 88-90. So from 88-90 an iroc was just a z28 with iroc stickers slapped on it.

Also you had to be a retard to not be able to tell a 5.0 tpi from a 5.7 tpi because it was on the cars bumper. Thats like saying you couldnt tell a 6 banger 4th gen from a z28 unless you looked at the vin.

So again I was wrong about the z28 and iroc being around at the same time....half way. You were wrong too though. No matter how you want to spin it. So you can try and be cute with your mustang buddies, but you were still wrong. Oh and again the 350 tpi didnt technically come out until 1987 so you probably never saw one on the street..only in magazine tests.

So that leaves 1 year for there to be a z28 and IROC with a 350tpi available.

1987...because after that, they just slapped iroc stickers on everything.

We were both wrong. I admitted it. You can still be a queen about it if you like, but you were wrong.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss1129
There wasnt a 350 tpi in 85. And Im sorry I was wrong about there being no z28 in 85-87. There was only a iroc from 88-90. So from 88-90 an iroc was just a z28 with iroc stickers slapped on it.
Oh... I was off by a year on the 350? I hadn't even noticed that was the argument. My point was only that other Camaro's couldn't have that engine while it could. I wasn't trying to distinguish the year... My bad. I wasn't even trying to debate the yr to yr stuff at all though, just that the IROC was the top model available for the 3rd gen, mass production. I've seen in several places, btw, that the IROC badges were used on the later Z... I seem to remember that the other way around, and they got Z/28 badges... But that's never been my point here.

Also you had to be a retard to not be able to tell a 5.0 tpi from a 5.7 tpi because it was on the cars bumper.
Oh, come ON... Don't you think that simple applique couldn't be added or removed? Of course it could... That wouldn't change the number of cubes the engine had... As I said, you couldn't tell by just looking, UNLESS you knew what to look for. The point was only that looking at the engine itself was of no value.

Thats like saying you couldnt tell a 6 banger 4th gen from a z28 unless you looked at the vin.
I think it is... And with that, ANYONE who added Z/28 markings, plus tail pipes might make others THINK it was a Z when in fact, it wasn't... Removing the same would make people think the opposite. Neither of the two would actually change the model. In the case of the 4th gen, however, simply lifting the hood would remove all doubt. That's NOT the case with the 3rd gen V8's.

So again I was wrong about the z28 and iroc being around at the same time....half way. You were wrong too though. No matter how you want to spin it.
I wasn't reading between the lines for your glaring errors... They were out there infront of God and everybody...

So you can try and be cute with your mustang buddies, but you were still wrong.
Do me the one favor of explaining WHO my "mustang buddies" are... I have no idea who you mean. I don't currently know anyone who lives within 500 miles of me who also has a Mustang... None. Sure, I see the cars, but I don't know the owners and they're not my buddies. I've been in this area for over a yr now and haven't befriended any. I don't try to fit in...

Oh and again the 350 tpi didnt technically come out until 1987 so you probably never saw one on the street..only in magazine tests.
What? Lemme get this striaght... Since they didn't come out until 24 YEARS ago, I've only seen them in magazines? ... I thought we covered the CRAP for 86... so...

So that leaves 1 year for there to be a z28 and IROC with a 350tpi available.
Which is why it's the most desirable of the bunch. The problem with identifying them was that there were 3 V8's available, and for 88, the stripes/decals could be deleted upon order.

1987...because after that, they just slapped iroc stickers on everything.
Yeah, but you had options not available before. I mean, things which had been standard on the IROC. I think my only point to that end was, the IROC was top dog of its time and that, before the IROC, no 3rd gen offered a 350... I may have mentioned yrs available or whatever, but I don't recall and I ain't fishin'... Not that important.

We were both wrong. I admitted it. You can still be a queen about it if you like, but you were wrong.
I can admit it as well... But not when you're only going to say, "You were wrong too" and not provide a single example... My 8yr old "great-niece"(is that a phrase? - the youngest in the family) is beyond that already... So you can claim I'm being a "queen" if you like, but as an actual adult, I expect an explanation to go along with, "but you" and not just the simple negative comment alone.

Have fun... I do.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:31 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Oh... I was off by a year on the 350? I hadn't even noticed that was the argument. My point was only that other Camaro's couldn't have that engine while it could. I wasn't trying to distinguish the year... My bad. I wasn't even trying to debate the yr to yr stuff at all though, just that the IROC was the top model available for the 3rd gen, mass production. I've seen in several places, btw, that the IROC badges were used on the later Z... I seem to remember that the other way around, and they got Z/28 badges... But that's never been my point here.

Oh, come ON... Don't you think that simple applique couldn't be added or removed? Of course it could... That wouldn't change the number of cubes the engine had... As I said, you couldn't tell by just looking, UNLESS you knew what to look for. The point was only that looking at the engine itself was of no value.

I think it is... And with that, ANYONE who added Z/28 markings, plus tail pipes might make others THINK it was a Z when in fact, it wasn't... Removing the same would make people think the opposite. Neither of the two would actually change the model. In the case of the 4th gen, however, simply lifting the hood would remove all doubt. That's NOT the case with the 3rd gen V8's.

I wasn't reading between the lines for your glaring errors... They were out there infront of God and everybody...

Do me the one favor of explaining WHO my "mustang buddies" are... I have no idea who you mean. I don't currently know anyone who lives within 500 miles of me who also has a Mustang... None. Sure, I see the cars, but I don't know the owners and they're not my buddies. I've been in this area for over a yr now and haven't befriended any. I don't try to fit in...

What? Lemme get this striaght... Since they didn't come out until 24 YEARS ago, I've only seen them in magazines? ... I thought we covered the CRAP for 86... so...

Which is why it's the most desirable of the bunch. The problem with identifying them was that there were 3 V8's available, and for 88, the stripes/decals could be deleted upon order.

Yeah, but you had options not available before. I mean, things which had been standard on the IROC. I think my only point to that end was, the IROC was top dog of its time and that, before the IROC, no 3rd gen offered a 350... I may have mentioned yrs available or whatever, but I don't recall and I ain't fishin'... Not that important.

I can admit it as well... But not when you're only going to say, "You were wrong too" and not provide a single example... My 8yr old "great-niece"(is that a phrase? - the youngest in the family) is beyond that already... So you can claim I'm being a "queen" if you like, but as an actual adult, I expect an explanation to go along with, "but you" and not just the simple negative comment alone.

Have fun... I do.

Pretty sure I just gave you like 5 examples of how you were wrong too.

Dance the night away my friend.

Cliffs notes for you.

1986 iroc 350 tpi....they made test mules only. So you didnt see them on the streets. Agan no 86 iroc 350 tpis were sold. (you were wrong there....and saying irocs came out in 81...but I wasnt going to bring that up before)

1987 was the only year a 350tpi iroc and a 305 z28 existed. (thats where I was wrong)

1988 z28 was gone. Only the iroc existed. Therefore there was no difference between a z28 and an iroc from 1988-1990....again you were wrong there.

You said the only way to tell a 350 from a 305 was the vin.....again you were wrong there. Your rebadging dodge is cute though. Why would you have to look at the vin if the car said 5.7 tpi?

My other error was forgetting that for 3 years a z28 and iroc did coexist. Again I admitted that. No excuses.

You can spin all you want...but you were just as wrong as me.
Old 01-07-2011 | 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have fun... I do.
Could you just repeat the last part? ^^^
Old 01-07-2011 | 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. Some of you guys don't know your third gens. Idk much about Camaro third gens but I know my TA's, don't know if they were the same. I know that the I-roc in 87 had a 305 TPI not a 350. If I'm not mistaken the 350 was from 88-90 in iroc and 91-92 in the Z because roc's last year was 90. (half year) it's funny, last time a guy told me he had a 91 iroc and I laughed at him and said there is no such thing. He tryed telling me what's up and I just pulled up info on third gens and he stood quiet.
Old 01-08-2011 | 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Could you just repeat the last part? ^^^
No, but since you've quoted it, you can go back and re-read it as many times as you like.

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Damn. Some of you guys don't know your third gens. Idk much about Camaro third gens but I know my TA's, don't know if they were the same. I know that the I-roc in 87 had a 305 TPI not a 350.
As much as we've been over this... The IROC-Z was available with a 350, for the 1st time in 3rd gens, in 1987.

If I'm not mistaken the 350 was from 88-90 in iroc and 91-92 in the Z because roc's last year was 90. (half year) it's funny, last time a guy told me he had a 91 iroc and I laughed at him and said there is no such thing. He tryed telling me what's up and I just pulled up info on third gens and he stood quiet.
The 350 was actually put into IROC's from 1986(only 50) through 1990 models, although all 1990 versions of IROC-Z's were actually built in 1989 and then production ended because Dodge took over the sponsorship for the 1990 yr.
Old 01-08-2011 | 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ where do y get your info? U mean all 87 were 350? Or it was optional?
Old 01-08-2011 | 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mannyman84
^^^^ where do y get your info? U mean all 87 were 350? Or it was optional?
Optinal engine in all yrs it(350) was available.

The info is available on various 3rd gen sites, like IROCZONE .com and thirdgen. org and camaro3rdgen.20m .com

Just type IROC-Z or something similar in your browser and you'll see several available pages, no doubt.
Old 01-08-2011 | 05:03 AM
TECH Regular

When you were 14, what, in the year 2000... Not that it matters. I DO, however, remember AOL car chat... Got into that in... 94 I think. I was already 'retired' from the NAVY by then. By around 2000, I couldn't stand AOL anymore and I haven't been there in years. Speaking of, is there still AOL?
I skipped the AOL thing after using it in 91 and hating the ***** out of it. AOL chat was just a rip-off of IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

I guess I am starting to show my age again..

Did I mention I started using Photoshop when version 2.0 came out? It only ran on Macs.
Old 01-08-2011 | 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't even know what "the internet" was when I began using it in the military... I just knew I could send messages and get replies and I didn't really care for any of it due to the steady green screen... EVERYTHING was green and black... Then they added some additional colors, but it sure wasn't like today. The only "fun" we had with pc's back then was when we got to play the x and o "football" game... At least we had a key for plays... and the x's and o's did move accordingly. It was a blast for a little while. Then again, when your best 'past times" included playing spades... nearly anything new might seem exciting.
Old 01-08-2011 | 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Monochrome and ASCII text pictures ruled ;-)
Old 01-08-2011 | 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Heh.... Like most of these threads, it ALL looks rather trashy after 'while...
Old 01-09-2011 | 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
The Colts aren't going to the Super Bowl by the way. You heard it here first.
Originally Posted by m_liel
Yep. Will see about that.
I hate to say I told you so but...
Old 01-09-2011 | 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the manalishi
i hate to say i told you so but...
go pack go!
Old 01-09-2011 | 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Knew the Jets would pull that one out. Seahawks surprised me though. Can't wait to see how today turns out. Should be a good playoff year......and it needs to be, with a potential strike looming.
Old 01-10-2011 | 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

I hate to say I told you so but...
If I was Rex Ryan I wouldn't be too excited. The Jets beat a injury plagued Colts team. 10 defensive players on IL, Peyton without his #1 target Dallas Clark, no Austin Collie leaving the double team on Reggie Wayne all night, missing their threat in middle linebacker Clint Session...the list goes on. I think its a huge accomplish in itself that Peyton was able to take that team to Playoffs with all those 1st and 2nd string guys gone,, no one expected them to beat out the Jags.

The Jets in the other hand were nothing impressive. With the Colts handicaps they should have knocked the Colts out with ease. Hope they had fun because next week they are going to get demolished by the Patriots...for the second time.

Last edited by LT/LS Guy; 01-10-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

With all the problems the Colts have had this season, it isn't a surprise they're not going to the SB, but I'm not thinking anyone gave the Jets a serious advantage, if any. Not that it matters yet, but who, if anyone, gives the Jets a shot at going to the SB, let alone winning? I don't...

Then again, I don't see them getting beyond next Sunday. If they do that, I'll give them a chance only if they also beat the winner of the Steelers/Ravens. I expect the Steelers to pull out another tough win in that one. Yeah, even though Baltimore laid it on KC and has proven to be a real contender. Even tough the Jets beat Pittsburgh in wk 15, I don't see a repeat there if the game happens(don't think it will).
Old 01-10-2011 | 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
If I was Rex Ryan I wouldn't be too excited. The Jets beat a injury plagued Colts team. 10 defensive players on IL, Peyton without his #1 target Dallas Clark, no Austin Collie leaving the double team on Reggie Wayne all night, missing their threat in middle linebacker Clint Session...the list goes on. I think its a huge accomplish in itself that Peyton was able to take that team to Playoffs with all those 1st and 2nd string guys gone,, no one expected them to beat out the Jags.

The Jets in the other hand were nothing impressive. With the Colts handicaps they should have knocked the Colts out with ease. Hope they had fun because next week they are going to get demolished by the Patriots...for the second time.
Look at Mr. Serious. It was a friendly jab at a Colts fan.
Old 01-10-2011 | 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Look at Mr. Serious. It was a friendly jab at a Colts fan.
Don't take it too hard. He is used to losing so his natural instinct is to make excuses.

Quick Reply: Ran up against another '11 5.0