Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my stock 94 lt1 auto vs 99-03ish mustang gt=ugly, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lol

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
A basically-stock LT1 F-body isn't going to pull a full bolt-on/tuned New Edge GT
ive done it several times. there are too many variables. and a 2v stang is a turd. period.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by green96ta
ive done it several times. there are too many variables. and a 2v stang is a turd. period.
Waits for all the 2V guys to roll in to correct ignorance - I have a hard time seeing a barely modded LT1 like the OP's even running correctly beating a 2V with full bolt-on's and gears (assuming he has gears).

Hell, Mystic's lightly modded LS1 loses to bolt-on 2V's
Old 01-16-2011, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh snap.

edi: Mystic got some "slotted rotters"...those can't be too helpful when trying to stop!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mod for mod I give the advantage to the LT1, but with a car as lightly modded as the OP's, a full bolt-on Edge would be out of its league.

He won't lose as badly, but he will still lose.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

An auto LT1 really isn't far from an auto 2V in terms of performance and 1/4 times stock for stock. I don't see why some people are so in disbelief with the outcome of this.

OP, you lost period. There may be nothing wrong with your car other than the fact that you started at a shitty mph for your tranny and it didn't feel like downshifting. Sucks to lose to one of the slower mustangs, but excuses are for ricers. Fix/mod your car more and get back out there!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
An auto LT1 really isn't far from an auto 2V in terms of performance and 1/4 times stock for stock.
Stock auto LT1 > Stock auto 2v
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick
Stock auto LT1 > Stock auto 2v
I know the LT1 will win but there not too far off. mustang is low 14, LT1 maybe high 13
Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Did the mustang have gears? Gears on a 2v mustang make it a totally different car. I personally know someone who used to have an auto 2v with gears and a catback running high 13s. An auto lt1 is going to run a low 14 or even slower if the car is messed up like the op's seems to be. Hell I bet the mustang would beat him with just the tune. Taking torque management off and all the other wonders a tune can do for an auto really makes a huge difference. Sorry im just not a fan of lt1s. I think id rather own a mustang but we can save that debate for another day
Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PBMGOAT04
Sorry im just not a fan of lt1s. I think id rather own a mustang but we can save that debate for another day
Do heads/cam build on your 2V Mustang you'd rather build than an LT1 and race a properly built H/C LT1 and let me know if you'd still feel the same - I'd wager to say probably not lol
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Do heads/cam build on your 2V Mustang you'd rather build than an LT1 and race a properly built H/C LT1 and let me know if you'd still feel the same - I'd wager to say probably not lol
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing wrong with LT1's, but all they are is a SBC with a good intake and reverse coolant flow. Put a mini ram on a SBC and it'll make the same power as any LT1. With that said, they def have more N/A power potential than any 2V. I personally don't care for the looks of LT1 cars besides the WS6's. With that in mind, I would rather drive a stang even though the motor isn't up to the LT1.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

I know the LT1 will win but there not too far off. mustang is low 14, LT1 maybe high 13
I'd post my video of this race, but I've used it too many times in the past few few weeks. There is a pretty good distance between the autos.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I don't own a mustang. I'm saying under these circumstances I'd rather own the mustang rather than the lt1. Mustangs sound and look 10x better than lt1 cars. Your right mod for mod the lt1 would win. I will probably never own a mustang again, but I would buy one before I would buy an lt1 car. If I wanted to go fast I'd drive my lsx
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PBMGOAT04
Did the mustang have gears? Gears on a 2v mustang make it a totally different car. I personally know someone who used to have an auto 2v with gears and a catback running high 13s. An auto lt1 is going to run a low 14 or even slower if the car is messed up like the op's seems to be. Hell I bet the mustang would beat him with just the tune. Taking torque management off and all the other wonders a tune can do for an auto really makes a huge difference. Sorry im just not a fan of lt1s. I think id rather own a mustang but we can save that debate for another day
Yes, it will beat a wounded Lt1 .

Nothing wrong with LT1's, but all they are is a SBC with a good intake and reverse coolant flow. Put a mini ram on a SBC and it'll make the same power as any LT1. With that said, they def have more N/A power potential than any 2V. I personally don't care for the looks of LT1 cars besides the WS6's. With that in mind, I would rather drive a stang even though the motor isn't up to the LT1.
You need to do your homework. LT1s can run a lot more compression due to the reverse cooling, have a very accurate ignition system (when it works!), and have very strong blocks, very strong stock cranks, and respectable rods and pistons. Saying they do not have any worthwhile benefits over an SBC is silly.

They also sound a million times better then a Mustang, and even though that is personal opinion I would imagine most people would agree. 5.7 liter iron block with true duals and a cam? 'Nuff said.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mystic Z-28
Looks like it's time for an LS1 swap. A stock LS1 would have put 3-5 lengths on that stang. Or maybe you just need work your bugs out and then get a nice heads/cam set-up. I like the color of your car by the way!
its one of those love it or hate it colors! seeing one nice and washed right about dusk would look pretty good. Idk why but it would
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
A basically-stock LT1 F-body isn't going to pull a full bolt-on/tuned New Edge GT
A stock LS1 isn't going to pull a full bolt-on/Tuned New Edge let a lone a LT1.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM
***Repost Police***

It should from a roll once you reach higher speeds... 1/4 mile though, probably not.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frogger
its one of those love it or hate it colors! seeing one nice and washed right about dusk would look pretty good. Idk why but it would
mine looks blue in the right light. i wish it was just black or blue version of this color. its love hate color for sure

Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

i didnt even look under his hood but next friday ill see him most likely and find out more. i think my opti is failing after a drive yesterday. i get bad gas milage like 13mpg and sometimes it does weird crap at an idle or feels sluggish. i put a a4 from a same year car that was at a shop and someone lit the car on fire iand in 97 this guy got the motor and trans and it sat till last year when i got it from him. it was said to have 20k on it but it has sat since 97. i pulled the valvbody and sperator plate, removed the low reverse captive bal by the tail shaft and installed a new gasket and put the valve body back on. i geuss i never thought about a ls1 till now, but i already have the car so technically a swap should be cheaper than buying a ls1 car. this car has 107k on it so i might as well run it it just needs some work and luvin. long tubes, no cat, new opti, change my plugs and wires. delete the air system, maybe egr, mail order tune. just waitin on money
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hoursetraitor
i geuss i never thought about a ls1 till now, but i already have the car so technically a swap should be cheaper than buying a ls1 car. this car has 107k on it so i might as well run it it just needs some work and luvin. long tubes, no cat, new opti, change my plugs and wires. delete the air system, maybe egr, mail order tune. just waitin on money
The swap isn't as easy as some make it out to be. Takes a decent amount of work, patience, and money. With LS1 f-bodies dropping in price as they are, just selling yours and buying an LS1 f-body would be your best bet if you really want the LS1. However, if you like the body of your Camaro better than the LS1 look, you could always start out with an LQ4 truck motor for cheap and build it up with H/C/I and have one potent "Lt1 car"

Your choice as it is your car and your budget

Quick Reply: my stock 94 lt1 auto vs 99-03ish mustang gt=ugly, is this normal?