Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my stock 94 lt1 auto vs 99-03ish mustang gt=ugly, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my stock 94 lt1 auto vs 99-03ish mustang gt=ugly, is this normal?

so i raced a edge mustang gt auto car. all i know is he has full bolt ons like exhaust, underdrives and a retuned auto tranny, said no cam, he got me bad 4 times from a roll on the freeway. my car seemed to rev to hell and not kick down or shift forever. just wonder if this is normal. his friend did say his car puts down to the wheels what mine makes at the crank and why bother but i ran him anyway.my car is stock except for the k&n and a thrush wleded muffler. i have 107k and a trans from a 20k car. i would like to beat this guys car i see him regularly
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoursetraitor
so i raced a edge mustang gt auto car. all i know is he has full bolt ons like exhaust, underdrives and a retuned auto tranny, said no cam, he got me bad 4 times from a roll on the freeway. my car seemed to rev to hell and not kick down or shift forever. just wonder if this is normal. his friend did say his car puts down to the wheels what mine makes at the crank and why bother but i ran him anyway.my car is stock except for the k&n and a thrush wleded muffler. i have 107k and a trans from a 20k car. i would like to beat this guys car i see him regularly
There might be something wrong with the trans. It shouldnt take a look time to shift at wot.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BODUKE
There might be something wrong with the trans. It shouldnt take a look time to shift at wot.
it was almost like it was slipping forever
Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

Stock for stock you guys should be pretty evenly matched. With him having bolt ons and more importantly a tuned auto, the results seem about right though your tranny didn't do you any favors.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
Stock for stock you guys should be pretty evenly matched. With him having bolt ons and more importantly a tuned auto, the results seem about right though your tranny didn't do you any favors.
yeah i saw its badges and now i know it was a 40th anniversary 2004 gt or a 99 like your 35th ann. 260hp 305ft lbs stock. i might have a failing opti also and i have a passenger side exhaust leak. im ashamed, i changed the tranny my self but never have fixed the leak or changed my plugs and plug wires.

he said he starts in second then shifts into drive. i was in od the whole time. never been keen on shifting autos i had a code dtc 81 yesterday so i dunno. i think he was like 5 cars infront of me or maybe 3 and of course let off everytime i caught up at the shift.
my girlfriend laughed she hates my camaro and bitches for selling the 86 gt i had for years, hell ive had a ton of 5.0 cars but this car was $1500 with a bad trans and prolly another bad trans. i geuss i sell it or cut a arm off to get a t56 and replace the damn opti and do long tubes that fit like ***

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 01-15-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

define: "TECH CERTIFIED"
Old 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your car has mild bolt-on's, if even. Running a bolt-on, tuned/tuned tranny, geared 2V is going to be a feat for an LT1 not running up to par.

Figure out the issues with the car, as you clearly say you have some - mod it - then go kill him
Old 01-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sujomatt
define: "TECH CERTIFIED"
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I knew more about diagnosing and modding a car when I was a 18yr old lube and oil tech at a Ford dealer back in '89.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 01-15-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
....when I was a 18yr old lube boy.....
yucky
Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
yucky
Hmm. See what you mean. fixed it!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I knew more about diagnosing and modding a car when I was a 18yr old lube and oil tech at a Ford dealer back in '89.
its means i have a cheesy 1 year degree/cert from Lake Washington Technical College. a decent school where i live, im sure someone on here knows about it. right now i would take the lube tech job lol. my skills are typical of most people on here. swapped a bunch of motors on differant types of cars,installed and removed way to many t5s, heads bla bla. ive worked as a mechanic off and on the last 5 years r&r, diag, whatever im decent, but thanks for pointing out it looks silly. and if you live in snohomish then you know the school i whent to, and im 34. not sure what pissed you off, but hey im sorry for whatever

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 01-15-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Your car has mild bolt-on's, if even. Running a bolt-on, tuned/tuned tranny, geared 2V is going to be a feat for an LT1 not running up to par.

Figure out the issues with the car, as you clearly say you have some - mod it - then go kill him
these car do better from a dig right? so a 45mph roll and a 60mph roll probably didnt help, no way to really use my torque to my advantage
Old 01-16-2011, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car is stock except for the k&n and a thrush wleded muffler. i have 107k and a trans from a 20k car. i would like to beat this guys car i see him regularly
Looking at your sig, you list a Hypertech programmer as a mod How did it feel wasting $350+ on that? Could have been a Magnaflow catback on the car
these car do better from a dig right? so a 45mph roll and a 60mph roll probably didnt help, no way to really use my torque to my advantage
With proper bolt-on's, you should beat a bolt-on 2V at any speed. That being said, figure out your transmission issues. Install longtubes, Off Road Y, catback, 3.73's, 3600 stall, some drag radials, maybe electric water pump, and get a nice tune and laugh at your buddy in the rear view mirror
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 AM
On The Tree

oh the car came with a k&n intake and a later i noticed the hypertech pcm piggyback. its been removed from the car and ive been trying to sell it lol.
i have a pretty go idea of whats wrong here. at 45 mph if your floor it the car wont kick down, it will just stay in the gear its in but if you slow down to like 15-25 and floor it the cars an animal. ive never raced from a roll except in a 5speed car in which case i throw it in 3rd doing 60 and mash.
didnt know those hypertechs were so spendy i was just tryn to sell mine for $100 what do they actually do? or supposed to do.

maybe my biggest problem is a exhaust leak on the passenger side header and ive been putting it off till i do long tubes and i want the cat out of there too i have a thrush weld muffler 2 chamber like a flowmaster. ive only had this car since may and i wasnt a gm guy so i know very little, my only other gm cars have been a 84 firebird se 305 and a 88gtu beretta and a 89 s10 cameo el. ive owned alot of 5 liter cars like about 7 foxbody mustangs and the aod car i had was slow as hell so ive always avoided auto cars. this car cost me $1500 and i got the tranny for fixing a 454 truck. ive replaced most of the sensors and t stat. and i bought the data cable from aldlcable.com and im learning how to use the free software and will probable do a mail order tune from one of the vendors. evetually i want a t56 or ill swap in a lsx if i keep the car
Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

Looks like it's time for an LS1 swap. A stock LS1 would have put 3-5 lengths on that stang. Or maybe you just need work your bugs out and then get a nice heads/cam set-up. I like the color of your car by the way!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystic Z-28
Looks like it's time for an LS1 swap. A stock LS1 would have put 3-5 lengths on that stang. Or maybe you just need work your bugs out and then get a nice heads/cam set-up. I like the color of your car by the way!
and a properly running lt1 would have put 1-2 on him. find out whats up with your trans, and if its time for a tune-up do it. i like the idea of the heads and cam, then that poor mustang wouldnt know WTF happened. you would put a city block length on him.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by green96ta
and a properly running lt1 would have put 1-2 on him. find out whats up with your trans, and if its time for a tune-up do it. i like the idea of the heads and cam, then that poor mustang wouldnt know WTF happened. you would put a city block length on him.
A basically-stock LT1 F-body isn't going to pull a full bolt-on/tuned New Edge GT
Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by green96ta
haha orrrrrr its a very close race most likely whoever gets the hit would win... but with the gt having more mods then it should pull it everytime
Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Teching In

if you punched it and your rpms bounced of the rev limiter and slipped, you more than likely have failing clutches and/or servo band is frying. pull the trans, get it rebuilt with heavy duty clutch packs, kevlar band in the least. maybe even a better servo and converter while there. put a cooler on it and use good synthetic fluid (it'll keep it cooler). and get a GOOD tune not that hypertech crap.

slipping trans = much lost time between shifts and why the gt burnt you
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nitrous.. if nothing is wrong with your car, you win. if there is it blows and you replace it.

Quick Reply: my stock 94 lt1 auto vs 99-03ish mustang gt=ugly, is this normal?