Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

cam only vs cams only

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
If those are RWHP/RWTQ numbers I think this explains why the new 5.0 is such a big f-ing deal to Ford people and for Ford performance in general. Jesus.......the thousands spent for under or near 400whp and three and a quarter torque
yea that and they are busting *** Remember tho peak numbers are not everything.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

damn that was ugly! good kill.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by assasinator
i mess with them a little. i have a few $k in 415-420rwhp. i bought a TB that should add alittle more tonight. 425? i hope so.
Wonder how much a new SS would make if you cam'd it to spin to 7200rpms with a peak hp at 6800 like your 5.0? I'm thinking 520+rwhp if you did headers and tune. More if you went full bolton/ported intake. Damn that would be hard on the valvetrain though, and good luck getting it to idle smooth.

I know it's apples to oranges, but the LS3 head flow numbers have to be right there with the 5.0 heads, makes me wonder what could have been if GM used the L76 variable timing setup but designed it for a big cam like ford did.

the shoe is on the other foot now and they are relishing it. a bit of nose rubbing. a few boltons and 410-435rwhp is a big deal for mustang fans.
Playing field is level now, the 5.0 isn't a leap ahead of the LS3 like you are implying. And it could easily be back to the way it was if GM ever lightens up the Camaro like we keep hearing rumors about: 300lbs lighter on the SS and more aggressive tuning (which IS coming for the 2012 model) and the 5.0 will be chasing again.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep...........

i mess with them a little. i have a few $k in 415-420rwhp. i bought a TB that should add alittle more tonight. 425? i hope so.

the shoe is on the other foot now and they are relishing it. a bit of nose rubbing. a few boltons and 410-435rwhp is a big deal for mustang fans.

i feel nearly 100 percent confident ill make 440rwhp with bolt ons. its only 20-25 away.
That BOSS intake manifold should get you there. Won't see an LS3 making 440rwhp with bolt-ons. MAYBE see 430 with a cai, udp, ported FAST/tb, LTs, aggresive tune, full exhaust. I need to look into more bolt-on LS3 numbers though.

Originally Posted by kennyxg
damn that was ugly! good kill.
Which part, the atrocious launch or the rape on the other end?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
and more aggressive tuning (which IS coming for the 2012 model)
Any proof of this?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
***Repost Police***

Not too bad for swapping in OEM cams. I'm assuming it's only the intake cams? Cuz that's what I usually see Mach 1s do. Like to see what that car could do with a set of gears to maximize the powerband, since it's shifted higher now.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Launching!

...Playing field is level now, the 5.0 isn't a leap ahead of the LS3 like you are implying. And it could easily be back to the way it was if GM ever lightens up the Camaro like we keep hearing rumors about: 300lbs lighter on the SS and more aggressive tuning (which IS coming for the 2012 model) and the 5.0 will be chasing again.
all ford would have to do is add a tune to the mustang. Reason why it has trouble running the numbers it should (stock) is because the stock rev limiter is pretty much right at peak power (6850rpm). Just a lil tune + raised limiter and you see why the new 5.0's are so much faster with just the aid of a tune.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Restricted User

Nice pull on the stang. If you woulda hooked it would have been more embarissing
Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Good kill!

Playing field is level now, the 5.0 isn't a leap ahead of the LS3 like you are implying. And it could easily be back to the way it was if GM ever lightens up the Camaro like we keep hearing rumors about: 300lbs lighter on the SS and more aggressive tuning (which IS coming for the 2012 model) and the 5.0 will be chasing again. [/B]
The LS3 is a great engine. In fact the Camaro already moves out for how much it weighs. I would be in one right now instead of a 370z if it had weighed 300 lbs less than what it does now. The '10 SS manual is somewhere around 3850, right? Yeah, 3550 lbs sounds great to me!

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
all ford would have to do is add a tune to the mustang. Reason why it has trouble running the numbers it should (stock) is because the stock rev limiter is pretty much right at peak power (6850rpm). Just a lil tune + raised limiter and you see why the new 5.0's are so much faster with just the aid of a tune.
I would love to see a 5.0 with a 7500 rev limit.

On a side note, is anyone else still impressed how (almost) identical the released Camaro looked like the concept? Go back and watch Transformers 1, which was a concept Camaro if I remember correctly. Extremely rare for Chevy to release a car so similar to the concept (well, for any car company really).
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
That BOSS intake manifold should get you there. Won't see an LS3 making 440rwhp with bolt-ons. MAYBE see 430 with a cai, udp, ported FAST/tb, LTs, aggresive tune, full exhaust. I need to look into more bolt-on LS3 numbers though.
I know a tuner who put down 398 in his '08 vette tune only. I think it would gain more than 30 hp with bolt-ons.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 AM
***Repost Police***

LS3 will make a bit more power than the Coyote with bolt-ons. It's the weight that kills that great motor.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, definately traction issues but have since put the bigs and littles on the car with 275/50R15 555rs. Way better launching now. Go check out my vid in my other thread. Me vs a 2003 cobra tonight at the track.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WSsick
Any proof of this?
Met a GM engineer yesterday at my hotel bar. He was getting ready to fly back from a cross country test drive of a "new mid engine sports car prototype. Before you ask, NO it's not the new vette... everybody asks me that." I can't say where I met him, or exactly what he said: not that he asked, but being with Boeing and intimately involved in the 787 flight test I know better than to get him into trouble. Also, there will be a couple minor mods to rear suspension.
Actually, the LS3 probably needs a mild cam upgrade to match the 5.0's amazing topend power.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 AM
***Repost Police***

Mid-engine Camaro? Not anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Mid-engine Camaro? Not anytime in the foreseeable future.
naw, I'm thinking some kinda Cadi or maybe just a test prototype that will morph into the vette. The next gen vette hype is building so I'm sure he was under strict orders to not link the vette whatsoever to the car he was involved with.

Either way, it was cool as hell to meet the guy! Even if he was only mid 20's and wasnt any kind of gearhead: he struck me as a systems engineer or equivelant, alot like the boeing engineers I work with who deal with systems integration and such.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Good kill!

The LS3 is a great engine. In fact the Camaro already moves out for how much it weighs. I would be in one right now instead of a 370z if it had weighed 300 lbs less than what it does now. The '10 SS manual is somewhere around 3850, right? Yeah, 3550 lbs sounds great to me!

I would love to see a 5.0 with a 7500 rev limit.

On a side note, is anyone else still impressed how (almost) identical the released Camaro looked like the concept? Go back and watch Transformers 1, which was a concept Camaro if I remember correctly. Extremely rare for Chevy to release a car so similar to the concept (well, for any car company really).
At a glance it LOOKs a lot like the concept To the untrained eye but put them side by side and the production version of the 2010 SS looks way more chunkier
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

man a better video next time please
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Teching In

At a glance it LOOKs a lot like the concept To the untrained eye but put them side by side and the production version of the 2010 SS looks way more chunkier
Oh I know I prefer the concept's thinner look over the chunkier concept but I'm sure they had to bulk it up to meet certain safety requirements for 2010.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wonder how much a new SS would make if you cam'd it to spin to 7200rpms with a peak hp at 6800 like your 5.0? I'm thinking 520+rwhp if you did headers and tune. More if you went full bolton/ported intake. Damn that would be hard on the valvetrain though, and good luck getting it to idle smooth.

I know it's apples to oranges, but the LS3 head flow numbers have to be right there with the 5.0 heads, makes me wonder what could have been if GM used the L76 variable timing setup but designed it for a big cam like ford did.

Playing field is level now, the 5.0 isn't a leap ahead of the LS3 like you are implying. And it could easily be back to the way it was if GM ever lightens up the Camaro like we keep hearing rumors about: 300lbs lighter on the SS and more aggressive tuning (which IS coming for the 2012 model) and the 5.0 will be chasing again.

EDIT: the " i mess with them" was referring to the 96-04 4v modular guys. it was a reference to the posters comment about them spending so much for less than a bolt on 2011GT. i harass them with my power numbers on the corral.

i wasnt implying anything. never mentioned the LS3. the question was "oh, thats why ford boys are so stoked". -paraphrased.

the next gen stang will be lighter than this one and a smaller car overall. i dont really care what the next gen stang is. ill be driving my new caddy. it (stang)could run 10's and i dont want it.

i know the playing field is level for ls2,ls3. never thought otherwise. but guys who are making the most noise dont own a 2011GT. i was referring to them rubbing noses. i cant wait for warmer weather so i can get out in the motorhome. its more comfortable than ANY car ANYWHERE.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Not too bad for swapping in OEM cams. I'm assuming it's only the intake cams? Cuz that's what I usually see Mach 1s do. Like to see what that car could do with a set of gears to maximize the powerband, since it's shifted higher now.
96-98 cobra intake cams are the usual swap.