Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First race in my new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First race in my new car

Well yesterday I just picked up my new car, a 2000 Z28 M6. The car is bone stock, it is my first stick car, althought I have driven many sticks before, never owned or raced one. Well I was racing my brother, in his 40th anniversary vette(stock,M6) from first at 3000rpms, it was only going to be a 1-2 gear race since I don't want to try for third this early. Well he left his traction control on for this race, I pulled on him pretty bad, chirping second. So after that we went from about 55 3rd gear to 4th, he didn't hear me honk the first time so I got the jump but continued to pull on him HARD! I don't think it would have mattered really, my car is deffinitely faster, I just have to become a better driver. I am worried about missing a gear, I know the valvetrain on LS1's aren't the greatest, so if I miss a shift, BOOM! I'm so scared to race this thing, damn, I need a lot more practice, any ideas on how to make my car safer? Is upgrading the springs and pushords really the only way to go?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice kill. You may want to post your questions in the technical forums.

Here's my 2 cents though...don't powershift if you're unfamiliar with your car. You'll probably bend a pushrod. Other than that, give it hell. You might want to go with an aftermarket shifter such as a Pro 5.0 which will help prevent you from missing 3rd. Go with a short throw shifter handle too.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get that whole shifter setup for just over $200 if you shop around. I got the stick from after thoughts auto, and the pro 5.0 from thunder racing (both sponsors over on the side). Saved a bit of money and now im confident I wont miss shifts.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:02 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my Pro 5.0 for 150 from NorCal Street. I also cut the threads down an inch. I love it.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I deffinitely need a shifter, mine is sooo sloppy and such a long throw. I will most likely get a pro 5.0 and some kind of short stick, will the factory **** bolt up? Or does the the short stick come with one? I need some practice, I just don't want to hurt my car.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive missed a gear once or twice in my early days of the m6, usually you will only hurt something if you downshift to far. if you miss a gear and you lett off it fast enought on a stock camed car you'll be fine imo.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red91vette
Yeah, I deffinitely need a shifter, mine is sooo sloppy and such a long throw. I will most likely get a pro 5.0 and some kind of short stick, will the factory **** bolt up? Or does the the short stick come with one? I need some practice, I just don't want to hurt my car.
Yes the **** wil bolt up. No the ss will not come with one. We all need practice (even those of us who are good drivers) and im pretty sure none of us want to hurt our cars. Welcome to the m6 group
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kckid
Yes the **** wil bolt up. No the ss will not come with one. We all need practice (even those of us who are good drivers) and im pretty sure none of us want to hurt our cars. Welcome to the m6 group

Yep that is a very true statement right there!!
Old 02-15-2004, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

You sound exactly like I did when I first bought my car. I have gotten a lot better at rowing through the gears, you will too if you practice. Have fun.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

I have been practicing when im out driving, just when im cruising around and shifting around 2500 normally, and i'll try to speed shift it 2-3 sometimes just for practice, and if I miss, I won't be at that high of an rpm. That is the only way I can practice without really hurting my car, but the thought and pressure when the tach is at 6 grand, little different! Well I can't wait to get my shifter, hopefully that helps a lot. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

A few weeks with it and you will lose the fear of missing, Atleast I did Now I go through the gears when ever I have the chance!!!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

My best piece of advice...GET a shift light! You really dont want to have your focus moving between the tach and the road, while all the while your mind is thinking...when to shift. The shift light can let you keep focus on the road and concentrate, then all you have to do is make the shift when you see light. I feel like anybody else who has one would agree with me as well.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep here is a good pic on were to mount one, if you do not want the tach 91vette
Attached Thumbnails First race in my new car-603switch.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, that looks like it would get in the way of the speedo...
Old 02-17-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Hmm, that looks like it would get in the way of the speedo...
Looks like the perfect spot, to me. I think shift lights are so ugly... if I had one, I'd try to hide it so that you could only see the flash while driving. I think you can see the needle pretty easily with the shift light mounted there.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by enisguy
Looks like the perfect spot, to me. I think shift lights are so ugly... if I had one, I'd try to hide it so that you could only see the flash while driving. I think you can see the needle pretty easily with the shift light mounted there.
Yeah, at first, I wasn't really taking into account the angle at which it was taken... I guess it is a pretty good place to put one, just as long as its not bright. That thing is pointing up at your face, pretty much. I don't know how bright shift lights are, but if it put out even just a good amount of light, I, personally wouldn't put it there... then again, Im just a euro ricer that drives a 17 second car... what could I possibly know...
Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

I placed mine on my a pillar, but it's smaller and not so gaudy as some...Ill post up a pic later. I have actually seen alot of guys even hide the one I have in their a/c vents if you are looking to stealth one.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

I was thinking of a shift light, I deffinitely do not want some big *** ricer tach on my dash though. I don't want to mess the inside up at all, thats why I ma not even putting a headunit in, just replacing the speakers! I'd like to see a pic of your light sidewayz if you don't mind, how small is it? I want a real small on that gives off just a little bit of light, I see people at the track with the big ones and the whole interior lights up! If I could put a small one in the vent that you be perfect! As long as it wouldn't hurt the flow too much of the AC/heat, and it wouldn't heat up too much and there and work fine. That would be sweet!

I clicked on the link in your sig about the shift light, I saw the AC vent install. Looked pretty cool, unique too! It is still pretty visible though, but atleast it is out of the way. Would I still be able to use that vent though? And not damage the shift light when the heat is up? What color brightness did you get? Is it too bright or not enough? Thanks.

Last edited by Red91vette; 02-17-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Ill try to get a pic up today, but if I cant I know there are some install pics at http://www.raptorperformance.com.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

the ****** in the A/C vent is a bad *** way to do it and be stealty. if not there is not too much of a way to hide the light, just order it in black, and see how well it does there!