Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Road in the Competion today. 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I wasn't the one to offer up that car as evidence. I'm just asking if it is a Coyote motor in that car, or a stroked 4.6.
Bolt-on Coyote motor. It is still in a s197 car lets not get picky There is still another one that did the same in a 11 so
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by automach1
Bolt-on Coyote motor. It is still in a s197 car lets not get picky There is still another one that did the same in a 11 so
So this was a built engine then? Awww man come on.. You made it seem like this was a bolt on car right from the factory running 10's.. I knew something was up!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Matts car has a coyote 5.0 swapped into it. The engine has a boss intake, cold air intake, headers but is still on stock heads and cams.

The car does have a lot of weight reduction and has a properly setup suspension. I think it'll go 10.6s at the next NMRA event; this was his FIRST time driving the car down the track and ran into the 10s a few passes with pretty bad air from my understanding.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odarabla
So this was a built engine then? Awww man come on.. You made it seem like this was a bolt on car right from the factory running 10's.. I knew something was up!!
yea it is built to the max
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by automach1
yea it is built to the max
They are bad *** engines no doubt but I knew something was up..
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by d98gt
Matts car has a coyote 5.0 swapped into it. The engine has a **boss intake**, cold air intake, headers but is still on stock heads and cams.

The car does have a lot of weight reduction and has a properly setup suspension. I think it'll go 10.6s at the next NMRA event; this was his FIRST time driving the car down the track and ran into the 10s a few passes with pretty bad air from my understanding.
That is not a "Bolt-on" car. Respectable nonetheless, but not just bolt ons.

On another note, 10.60's is the bolt-on LS1 record. That car had a 2900# dry weight fwiw. Theoretically a bolt-on 5.0 with weight reduction, suspension, the works should go quicker than 10.60.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Teching In

How is it not a bolt on?

The boss intake manifold bolts right on these cars and are being bought for around $350-$400. Hell the intake actually LOSES power in the low-midrange but picks power up on the top end. Here is a dyno from Steeda As you can see--obvious loss in the midrange but it flows well in the upper RPMS (which is where these cars love to be).

This is the first time Matt was able to make passes in the car so the times will only improve. I think its pretty impressive for a car that "only" has an intake manifold, long tube headers, and a cold air intake. The car is going to be INSANE once he changes cams and gets ported heads.

What mods did the bolt-on ls1 have?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

How is it not a bolt on?

The boss intake manifold bolts right on these cars and are being bought for around $350-$400. Hell the intake actually LOSES power in the low-midrange but picks power up on the top end. Here is a dyno from Steeda. As you can see--obvious loss in the midrange but it flows well in the upper RPMS (which is where these cars love to be).

This is the first time Matt was able to make passes in the car so the times will only improve. I think its pretty impressive for a car that "only" has an intake manifold, long tube headers, and a cold air intake. The car is going to be INSANE once he changes cams and gets ported heads.

What mods did the bolt-on ls1 have?
Like I said earlier, respectable nonetheless. But that's just as funny as when the LSx guys claim to have a bolt-on car when its got a FAST 90/92 sitting on top. Heck, might as well "bolt on" a set of heads to go with that high flow intake if ya ask me.

IMO, once you touch the stock intake manifold it's not a bolt-on only car anymore.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I can understand that some have different ideas of what a bolt on car is.

To me a bolt on car is the "basics" without going into the internals (heads/cam/etc) or forced induction (including nitrous).

Do you have a link to the 10 second LS1? I love checking out NA cars getting it done
Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

I can understand that some have different ideas of what a bolt on car is.

To me a bolt on car is the "basics" without going into the internals (heads/cam/etc) or forced induction (including nitrous).

Do you have a link to the 10 second LS1? I love checking out NA cars getting it done
#1 on the list.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html
Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Heater
Coyote engine> stroked 4.6
Fa sho
Originally Posted by stockz
HAHA automach, doesn't even know one year from another. Your point is very clear now. Pointless that is.

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
That is not a "Bolt-on" car. Respectable nonetheless, but not just bolt ons.
I don't know why it wouldn't be considered a "bolt on." It's no different than somebody with an early LS1 swapping on an LS6 intake manifold, or somebody with a 99-04 2V GT that does a Bullitt manifold swap.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Fa sho

I don't know why it wouldn't be considered a "bolt on." It's no different than somebody with an early LS1 swapping on an LS6 intake manifold, or somebody with a 99-04 2V GT that does a Bullitt manifold swap.
Ding Ding Ding. Your exactly right!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

It is a bolt-on car / thread
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Intake swap is a bolt on...at least that is the internet rule of thumb.

Honestly with it being a motor swapped car; would that count? It's basically the same thing as a LT-1 body style F-body having a LS1 swapped into it.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I think personally the definition of bolt on has been expanded a little in some ways. To the guy who is ***** deep into his engine, I'm sure an intake would qualify as simply another "bolt on". The term "bolt on" and "ricer" are the most improperly used (and overused) terms I can think of right now. I still think an intake qualifies as bolt on however, and a torque converter is too imo.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Like I said earlier, respectable nonetheless. But that's just as funny as when the LSx guys claim to have a bolt-on car when its got a FAST 90/92 sitting on top. Heck, might as well "bolt on" a set of heads to go with that high flow intake if ya ask me.

IMO, once you touch the stock intake manifold it's not a bolt-on only car anymore.
I agree with you LT/LS 150%!!! Only up until a few years ago did intake manifold swaps become "bolt-ons".

Put it like this, in every GMHTP "Bolt-on Shootout" (LT1 and LS1) all cars had to run the stock intake manifold, heads, and camshaft. Only such engine mods as TB, Inlet, MAF, CAI, Pulley, water pump, free mods, Headers, mid pipe, exhaust, and so forth were allowed, and considered "bolt-ons" by those standards. In otherwords, everything could be touched outside of the stock intake manifold, heads and cam. That's what i've ALWAYS known to be a bolt-on car since my teenage days.

Hence why you always see the term "I/H/C + Bolt-ons". Duh. But someone will always wanna go against the grain with it and that's just how it is.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
***Repost Police***

If you can change the exhaust manifolds and still be considered "bolt-on," I don't know how changing an intake manifold is really any different...
Old 03-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Teching In

If you can change the exhaust manifolds and still be considered "bolt-on," I don't know how changing an intake manifold is really any different...
What?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I though everyone considered intake a bolt on?

If any noobie ever asks anyone what they should do first, be it SBC, BBC, LSx, SBF, BBF, etc the most common suggestion is probably going to be getting a better intake manifold.

I could see making an argument on old school engines because they at least touch coolant/oil...but in a world of dry intakes I would argue all day long it's a simple bolt on.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by m_liel
What?
I'm not sure how that was confusing in any way?