Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 Cobra vs 02 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Well...it really is a good point if you think about it for a second. If that's an "excuse" then nobody should ever be able to say that the 2000 Cobra R was super rare and never seen...either way, it was faster than the F-bodies of 2000. Although it is usually not acknowledged by the uneducated masses that say "Ford couldn't keep up until this time!"

It's similar to the f-body guys who say "See! Ford couldn't make a run of the mill GT, they had to produce a Cobra to compete with F-bodies." (which, off topic, was slower than F-bodies of the same year, anyway).

Not trying to start an argument, I think he was just saying that the cars you saw on the road everyday weren't SS's and Firehawks nearly as much as they were your run of the mill Z/28 for instance...which is a true statement.
Thank you for taking the time to explain it... I kinda think he simply wants to argue with me, even though he seemingly always loses when he argues, no matter with whom.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

He makes some good points at times, it just seems he always goes for the throat even in peaceful disagreements.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...it really is a good point if you think about it for a second. If that's an "excuse" then nobody should ever be able to say that the 2000 Cobra R was super rare and never seen...either way, it was faster than the F-bodies of 2000. Although it is usually not acknowledged by the uneducated masses that say "Ford couldn't keep up until this time!".
You can't realistically compare the rarity of the 2000 R to the ram-air LT1 cars. There were a total of 6300 SS's made for 96/97 versus a mere 300 for the R. Plus despite the production numbers they are still just LT1-powered cars with upgrades.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
You can't realistically compare the rarity of the 2000 R to the ram-air LT1 cars. There were a total of 6300 SS's made for 96/97 versus a mere 300 for the R. Plus despite the production numbers they are still just LT1-powered cars with upgrades.
Well, you asked if "that was y'alls excuse", referring to the rarity of the car. So if someone said "there were only 300 R's!" I would ask if that was their excuse, as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Most wouldn't argue that point either, but still... There were 6300 of how many V8 F-bodies? A couple hundred thousand that didn't run as well as the modified versions. I don't even bother considering them modified really... Just limited to the point they weren't average.

Insofar as the 2000 R, it wasn't average either. And nobody says "But the Cobra ran 12.4's in 2000" as an argument here... It wasn't like the average Mustang beyond the shell. Taking that model into consideration alone, the whole argument of which keeps up with which is a closed case.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Banned

modular-blower= weak
Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Well, you asked if "that was y'alls excuse", referring to the rarity of the car. So if someone said "there were only 300 R's!" I would ask if that was their excuse, as well.
Originally Posted by It'llrun
Thank you for taking the time to explain it... I kinda think he simply wants to argue with me, even though he seemingly always loses when he argues, no matter with whom.
Looks like you guys are just in it for arguments sake now. Like a desperate attempt to say, "No way, the argument is not over yet!".

Come on now.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Looks like you guys are just in it for arguments sake now. Like a desperate attempt to say, "No way, the argument is not over yet!".

Come on now.
I waited till some 40 other resposnes were made, many of which answered so I wouldnt need to, and you think I'm just in it for the sake of arguing? Heck no... I'm happy to note, I needed to say very little in the end, and the guys against my side made ALL my points for me, by going out of their way to provide video which proved me right. Guess I should simply be glad I was there AND that I can still remember the truth.

I often get "active" in threads I take any part in. Even though that's the case, I have well under 1/2 the posts here that Redfire has... He's clearly here to argue, but that's okay. For you to complain two others are, who COMBINED have fewer responses... That's just wrong.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Come on now.
Just calling it how I see it.

First it was "LT1s don't run 13's"

Now that we settled that straight its "oh but its only the SS's and they only made 6000 of them".

What's the next?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by automach1
modular-blower= weak
Troll
Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Come on now.
My statement had nothing to do with reviving or keeping alive an unnecessary argument. My statement was simply putting the shoe on the other foot.

Come on now.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Just calling it how I see it.
How well do you actually see it though?

First it was "LT1s don't run 13's"
Who actually said that? I'm asking because you put it in quotes, signifying someone did.

Now that we settled that straight its "oh but its only the SS's and they only made 6000 of them".

What's the next?
Who said their were only 6,000 of them? I thought that was you, saying 6,300... What's next just MAY be you realizing you're argument is against... YOU!

You "settled that straight" by showing us links to articles about the LT1 cars and ONLY those non-standard Z/28's actually ran better than 14.00. I pointed out what you had provided as fact. Now you're saying it's a fact that "they" ran 13's based on about .09% of them having done it, even though all those that did were SS or Firehawk models. From the start, I claimed the average LT1 didn't run 13's. Clearly, I was 100% correct, no matter how much you argued against that fact... It is indeed a fact.

Want us to believe the average standard LT1 Z/28 ran 13's? Don't waste your time. That is all.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

How well do you actually see it though?

Who actually said that? I'm asking because you put it in quotes, signifying someone did.

Who said their were only 6,000 of them? I thought that was you, saying 6,300... What's next just MAY be you realizing you're argument is against... YOU!

You "settled that straight" by showing us links to articles about the LT1 cars and ONLY those non-standard Z/28's actually ran better than 14.00. I pointed out what you had provided as fact. Now you're saying it's a fact that "they" ran 13's based on about .09% of them having done it, even though all those that did were SS or Firehawk models. From the start, I claimed the average LT1 didn't run 13's. Clearly, I was 100% correct, no matter how much you argued against that fact... It is indeed a fact.

Want us to believe the average standard LT1 Z/28 ran 13's? Don't waste your time. That is all.
You never stated anything about "base" model or average in your posts. All you ever said was "LT1" in general.

See below:

You can believe, and even say whatever you want, but I've raced too many of each to believe you. All the talk here will never convince me the Cobra wasn't a mid-high 13 second car from 96-01 when driven correctly. All that talk won't make me believe the LT1 ran 13's either. Sure, a handful did... Most ran 14.1-4's, even driven correctly(OHV's got it like that, no learning curve required)... That's just what it was.
Yippee for you. The "question" wasn't about what your car did. It was about what 96-98 Mustang Cobras did when new and stock vs the LT1's times... Not what the children of the day claim as reality these days, but what was actually happening then. We all know the typical LS1 F-body would beat the typical Cobra of those years and the reasons. Many (ignorantly) believe the LT1 was also a 13 second runner, or that the Cobra was not... While many Cobra owners didn't yet know how or when to shift for best results, it was capable of 13's. The LT1 didn't require any learning curve. It just ran low 14's for nearly anyone on any given day. Given each car had a great driver and neither broke anything, the LT1 would be expected to lose 100% of the time. If it was better as is, GM probably would've held off on the LS1.
Then when the truth hit home you (and several others) switched up your tone
in attempts to save the argument:

Most wouldn't argue that point either, but still... There were 6300 of how many V8 F-bodies? A couple hundred thousand that didn't run as well as the modified versions. I don't even bother considering them modified really... Just limited to the point they weren't average.
Originally Posted by WSsick
I wouldn't say they (LT1s) are 13 second cars stock, just because there's enough on the other side of the line to make it close, but it's not unreasonable to say they can go easily. Not going to watch the videos, but the times posted are mostly 96/7 SS's...we all know most LT1s are not 96/7 SS's. Let's see more Z28 times, or normal T/A times. It's like claiming high 12s out of LS1s, plenty have done it, just not enough to say it as a matter of fact

edit: These are more like what I see.
"M/T 93 Cobra-14.4@97 vs. 93 Z28-14.0@98
M/T 96 Cobra-14.0@101 vs 96 Z28-14.2@98"
Well...it really is a good point if you think about it for a second. If that's an "excuse" then nobody should ever be able to say that the 2000 Cobra R was super rare and never seen...either way, it was faster than the F-bodies of 2000. Although it is usually not acknowledged by the uneducated masses that say "Ford couldn't keep up until this time!"

It's similar to the f-body guys who say "See! Ford couldn't make a run of the mill GT, they had to produce a Cobra to compete with F-bodies." (which, off topic, was slower than F-bodies of the same year, anyway).

Not trying to start an argument, I think he was just saying that the cars you saw on the road everyday weren't SS's and Firehawks nearly as much as they were your run of the mill Z/28 for instance...which is a true statement.
I think Redfire shined the light HARD on this one!!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

And incase you didn't know, the 96 SS/WS6 was GM's answer to the 96 Cobra. The base LT1 Z28/Formula were intended as direct competition for the Mustang GT. Just so happen the base F-bodies were so close to the Cobra in terms of performance the two were often compared.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Launching!

BREDWNR, Its a lost cause I tell ya..Lost cause.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 916 BREDWNR
Then when the truth hit home you (and several others) switched up your tone
in attempts to save the argument:
.............or some of us joined the argument later than others. I just find it annoying when people talk about LT1s being 13 second cars like it's no problem, or make it out to be as easy as LS1s running 13s. Not saying you are, but some do. I'll leave it at that, because this really is a stupid thread that needs to die. If anything hit home, it's correlation of how petty these arguments get as the page numbers climb.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell me about it, that's what it's like talking with you and your buddies.

I give up, all stock LT1s run 13s. I see the error in my ways now.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
Tell me about it, that's what it's like talking with you and your buddies.

I give up, all stock LT1s run 13s. I see the error in my ways now.
Who really cares anymore. Unsubscribing.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Breadwinner, I never switched my stance on the argument at all
You fail at picking a fight out of left field.