Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 Cobra vs 02 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like he had the same mods as me except I have a tune and 3.73's. Good run Matt but I thought we were going to behave this year....
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Place is a joke. Now I see why the real "solid" car guys from a few years ago got the fawk out of here.

Funny thing is the same guys that act childish over here don't pull that same **** over at SVTP. Wonder why?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL @ Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
yep stock manifolds and y.

Not excuses lol I just missed the hit. My fault obviously.

the 13.4 was bone stock on crappy street tires

With stall I should be like 12.7ish if I could stick off the line....which I can't without some good tires lol no idea on the DA
Hmm...that's not what is says in your sig.

something smells real fishy in here...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
Yeah, boost is such a bad thing that we are really bitter
You're not bitter because of the supercharger, of course not. More power is never a bad thing. You're probably bitter because without it your car would be a "boat anchor." See: 4.6 Mustang GT. Regardless, my post was just poking fun at the SVTP crew on here. There's no reason to rip the guy for having the ***** to come in here after he lost a race and get the story straight especially when the OP convienently left out a couple nice details.

And: The Manalishi is obviously the COOLEST person in this thread. hahaha let me go get a clue now. I haven't heard anyone say get a clue since maybe 3rd grade. Congrats hahah
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
And: The Manalishi is obviously the COOLEST person in this thread. hahaha let me go get a clue now. I haven't heard anyone say get a clue since maybe 3rd grade. Congrats hahah
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
Well if you are running street tires I'm assuming you probably don't want to run on spray. So we can do motor runs if you like. I'm in North Vernon, could meet you in Cbus or wherever if you prefer.
Thats fine with me man. Pm me when it gets warmer out again and we can try and set something up.

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
No idea. Wife wants to go again this year but I'm not sure if we will. Little man will be here then and we are going down to St. Augustine earlier in July for a week to check things out because we are planning to move down there soon.

But if we do go I'll have both the 5.0 and Mach 1.
I think its a perfect setting for little man's first vacation What made you want to move to St. Augustine?

Well you have distorted a couple details slightly bud

My long tubes are not on yet, im just a lid/cat-back/stall car, and my car is pretty much a fatty haha full weight plus thick sub box, and 2 12's and 2 amps.

Second I did have a bad hit on that run(my fault obviously I was spacing out) so you got a good jump but I was reeling you in. Also when my stall hit I did spin for just a sec.

Third I remember being at your door at 120 not a car behind, I would have been in front by 135ish.

Fourth I'm not sure if you perceived me as trying to be mouthy or something, but I wasn't It's always a friendly run between us man.

Lastly I'll hit you up when I get all my stuff in. Ive got a few things sitting in my mailbox. Cam, Racetronix 255 pump kit, Pacesetter Long Tubes, TSP Duals, and obviously will need a tune.

O.....and you told me about the bottle right after I told you about the cam buddy
Ok well I was under the notion that you had the longtubes already, sorry for that. I cant race to 135 with my gears so coulda shoulda woulda doesnt really apply here.

I'm not mad or anything but it just seemed to come off as you were making excuses because when I first got out of the car I said that was a good run man and really close and thats when you started saying that and nothing personal against you but I hate when people make excuses. If I lose a race I lose one, it may have been a mistake on shifting etc but there are no excuses imo.

Again nothing personal against you, just a pet peeve of mine

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Bolt-on 96-98 Cobras ain't nothin' special. Don't act like they are because they're not. One would be lucky to get out of the 13's full weight. Been there done that bullshit.
Just because you have been there and cant drive a car for **** doesnt mean they arent quick or anything special. I ran 12.89 @ 106 with just 4.10's, tire, o/r x and filter.... Oh and yes that is full weight absolutely nothing removed. In fact I had extra weight with my nitrous stuff in there and a full bottle.

Originally Posted by WSsick
Sooooooo let's get some races out of this thread...

Rematch of the OP so there are no excuses and the LTjuan v Cobrah
It will happen this year all in fun! Maybe Chadlee2KZ will play too haha

Originally Posted by Chadlee2KZ
Sounds like he had the same mods as me except I have a tune and 3.73's. Good run Matt but I thought we were going to behave this year....
Haha thanks man I know I tried to behave but its hard when someone pulls up next to you. And you well you know what I think about your catfish sir, honestly one of the best looking ones around imo. Are you going to the dyno day on saturday?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
Just because you have been there and cant drive a car for **** doesnt mean they arent quick or anything special. I ran 12.89 @ 106 with just 4.10's, tire, o/r x and filter.... Oh and yes that is full weight absolutely nothing removed. In fact I had extra weight with my nitrous stuff in there and a full bottle.

What a dreamer. That type of bullshit doesn't fly by me. Im not one of those guys that just because someone says they ran that number means its true. And in your case obviously its not!

I like how nowadays, 96-98 cobras have magically gotten faster all of the sudden. But this is the catch: Only on the internet though. Wish both of my old '98s had the magical "internet mod".

Last edited by Redfire 03; 03-28-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Bolt-on 96-98 Cobras ain't nothin' special. Don't act like they are because they're not. One would be lucky to get out of the 13's full weight. Been there done that bullshit.
Guess I was a factory freak then. I went 12.64@109 with bolt-ons at full weight. Car put down 298rwhp then. Would run consistant 12.8's in the heat.

Got to remember first gear in these cobras is 3.37. Add a 4.XX gear to that and it makes it get outta hole faster than cars with more hp.

But you do have to really drive these cars to keep up with the new 4.6's and LS cars. I've gone through 5 clutches and 3 trannies with 49k on the clock.

Let me know if you want any proof. I got slips and vids and eyewitnesses that own LS cars.

-Mark
Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Guess I was a factory freak then. I went 12.64@109 with bolt-ons at full weight. Car put down 298rwhp then. Would run consistant 12.8's in the heat.

Got to remember first gear in these cobras is 3.37. Add a 4.XX gear to that and it makes it get outta hole faster than cars with more hp.

But you do have to really drive these cars to keep up with the new 4.6's and LS cars. I've gone through 5 clutches and 3 trannies with 49k on the clock.

Let me know if you want any proof. I got slips and vids and eyewitnesses that own LS cars.

-Mark
Well it's obvious that both of you are lying. If Redfire says it, it has to be the gospel.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

I believe a decent driver should be able to get 13's from a 96 or newer Cobra. I took a friends 96 to a 13.7x back in early 97. It was 100% factory stock. Ya simply MUST maintain high rpm with them, or you'll not do so well. The owner managed a 13.6 here and there. Then he got tired of that and started mods... with a D1 as I recall, and a complete rebuild. From mid 13's to 10's... What a change.

For those claiming a Cobra can only be made fast with boost, 2 things: #1, there IS boost. #2, there are Cobra's running at least 9's N/A and have been since 2004, that's 200 FOUR. The quickest I can take note of back then was (the late)Michael Tymensky, who ran a 9.36 back then in a 2001 punched to 304 cubes. Not many ever saw 9's, but a handful did run 10's and plenty more ran 11's. Streetable in the 9's? Not so much. Powerful... Yeah, kinda sorta without a doubt. Will they run with the quickest LS cars... Nah... With boost, certainly, just not N/A.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have gone 12s in three different bolt on Cobras(2 98s and 1 97) with stock rims,BFGs and front swaybar on. And I never owned one. Seen many do it with my own eyes too on the east coast. 12s from one means lots of gear(at least 430s),tires,31 spline axles and carrier with a girdle,full exhaust,pulleys,cai,aluminum d/s and some guys made the huge mistake back in the late 90s of using an aftermarket mass air flow which probably didn't do squat. That was before people tuned them. I can't seem to remember if people used Steeda timing adjusters in those or just the 2 valves....
Really not incredible to believe. Saw many at Cecil run 13s stock(Mike Smith,Bob Cosby blah blah)
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you have distorted a couple details slightly bud

My long tubes are not on yet, im just a lid/cat-back/stall car, and my car is pretty much a fatty haha full weight plus thick sub box, and 2 12's and 2 amps.

Second I did have a bad hit on that run(my fault obviously I was spacing out) so you got a good jump but I was reeling you in. Also when my stall hit I did spin for just a sec.

Third I remember being at your door at 120 not a car behind, I would have been in front by 135ish.

Fourth I'm not sure if you perceived me as trying to be mouthy or something, but I wasn't It's always a friendly run between us man.

Lastly I'll hit you up when I get all my stuff in. Ive got a few things sitting in my mailbox. Cam, Racetronix 255 pump kit, Pacesetter Long Tubes, TSP Duals, and obviously will need a tune.

O.....and you told me about the bottle right after I told you about the cam buddy
Please run this fool again, and put that old cobra in its place!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Thats fine with me man. Pm me when it gets warmer out again and we can try and set something up.
Sounds good. Perhaps this weekend if it doesn't rain.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What a dreamer. That type of bullshit doesn't fly by me. Im not one of those guys that just because someone says they ran that number means its true. And in your case obviously its not!

I like how nowadays, 96-98 cobras have magically gotten faster all of the sudden. But this is the catch: Only on the internet though. Wish both of my old '98s had the magical "internet mod".
So basically what you are saying is because you couldn't do it, no one can.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
So basically what you are saying is because you couldn't do it, no one can.
And ZR1s have $60k paint jobs!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Is it getting warm in here... ?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the "Cobra Lesson 101" guys but, like I said i've owned two of the SN95 models. chrome Yellow '98 with spoiler delete that was driven/raced for a short while and then stolen. That one was immediately replaced with another '98, Crystal White cloth-seat/spoiler delete that time around. Raced that for a few years then traded it for the Bullitt. Not to say that because I didn't run the number with mine personally but just being realistic.

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
That's an **EXCELLENT like out of this world run for a full weight car. Must have been some good *** DA. I bet the full bolt-on LS1's on that same track were going bottom 12's at 114/115-ish. which is ridicu-******-lous.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I believe a decent driver should be able to get 13's from a 96 or newer Cobra. I took a friends 96 to a 13.7x back in early 97. It was 100% factory stock.
13's are surely attainable with a good driver. The average person will go 14.0x at 100-102 all day/night long.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I have gone 12s in three different bolt on Cobras(2 98s and 1 97) with stock rims,BFGs and front swaybar on. And I never owned one. Seen many do it with my own eyes too on the east coast. 12s from one means lots of gear(at least 430s),tires,31 spline axles and carrier with a girdle,full exhaust,pulleys,cai,aluminum d/s and some guys made the huge mistake back in the late 90s of using an aftermarket mass air flow which probably didn't do squat. That was before people tuned them. I can't seem to remember if people used Steeda timing adjusters in those or just the 2 valves....
Really not incredible to believe. Saw many at Cecil run 13s stock(Mike Smith,Bob Cosby blah blah)
Man how many "other" peoples cars have you driven? Suprised I never saw you in an issue of MM&FF or GMHTP, or ever heard of your name before?

Last edited by Redfire 03; 03-28-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And ZR1s have $60k paint jobs!
And all this time I thought that's why they cost so much