Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Charger SRT8 vs 2011 GT 5.0 (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
I would be interested in seeing how I do against a stock 6-Speed with the 3.73 option.
Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Stock with my manual 3.73s and just tire i ran a 12.12@114...
Originally Posted by WSsick
No, your times do not matter to this thread. No one asked what it ran before you volunteered your times, which are a bit on the outlandish side as well. All that matters was the 5.0 in the video. A driver is part of the car, and if it fails, it's the same as putting a bad part on the car.

Why would I be butthurt? You are the one coming to the defense of the almighty 5oh just because it didn't run how it should. Shoulda/coulda/woulda doesn't mean ****.
C'mon man... Give it a rest.

The "question" was posed. He answered. He wasn't defending the "5oh" much, rather stating what his ran with the setup the OP posed.
Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Yes ohioborn80 take a step back and remember this is the internet but also my friend this is LS1TECH.COM
Big deal. The OP didn't post anything about a GM here, so where's your beef with him? As you said, it's the internet... We don't have any lock on what's shown on said internet, and that INCLUDES you.

There's no need for all the hatred... It's silly. This thread wasn't even about any GM product, but it quickly turned into, "but GM did it" way back when... Who cares? Seriously, why does it matter, considering what's changed since then? It isn't as if GM, Ford and Chrysler didn't all do even better before 1972... In the '60's any American with the money had a chance to purchase a factory stock 11 or even 10 second 1/4 mile car from the factory. So?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Mainly Little River Academy dragway..Worse track in TX. lol....Did run once at SAR..

Buddy just ran 11.6 with bolt ons at SAR with a DA of 2450..Corrected time is 11.2...Not bad i think with such crappy DA
Hey now, TAD isn't THAT bad
Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Was that race a 1/8th or 1/4? What were the times? Looked spot-on, 22's hurting the Charger. I really like the new 5.0s. I highly doubt all the of the Boss gains are from the intake, however. 35-50hp - no.

Going OT though...

really my point is a college degree isnt what it used to be. Say 10 yrs ago.

Bullsh*t. It means everything in any major metopolitan area with professional level jobs. The minority is the exception. My GF is highly accomplished with an excellent resume and the automated software resume screeners (and company policies) are eliminating her from consideration before an interview.

500k invested right is enough to retire on. lol
Maybe in the sticks or a trailer park but that means $30k per year which isn't crap to live on. And "invested right" seems to change every 3 years.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-02-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Damn 12.1 thats crazy
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by projectX
Damn 12.1 thats crazy
Yeah till the tranny goes out only bad thing about new 5.0 once get that fixed.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Was that race a 1/8th or 1/4? What were the times? Looked spot-on, 22's hurting the Charger. I really like the new 5.0s. I highly doubt all the of the Boss gains are from the intake, however. 35-50hp - no.

Going OT though...

Bullsh*t. It means everything in any major metopolitan area with professional level jobs. The minority is the exception. My GF is highly accomplished with an excellent resume and the automated software resume screeners (and company policies) are eliminating her from consideration before an interview.

Maybe in the sticks or a trailer park but that means $30k per year which isn't crap to live on. And "invested right" seems to change every 3 years.
I know what mean about mean about interview and crap..It happen to my wife a few times.

As far as 500k retire. I would have no bills. WIfe still work, and i still bring in 30k from retirement alone. Plus still have full medical from retirement. Or the rental properties i have.. In honesty i will not retire with 500k I was stating its possible. ANd it dont have to be in a trailer park.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Yeah till the tranny goes out only bad thing about new 5.0 once get that fixed.
This is teh biggest weak point for the 5.0 right now. I have had mine replaced and so far so good. I know some guys that had issues with theirs and they dont even track the car..You think we could have got the tranny out the GT500 or cobra jet or something...
Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

haha...Not really dont need bigger tire lately...lol...

But i know few new camaro's with issues also..
Please DONT EVER compare the new Camaro with the New Mustang PERIOD!!!

I am a TRUE Camaro Fan.

BUT the New Camaro SUCKS, hear that GM, SUCKS. I WILL Buy a 5.0L before you could GIVE ME a new Ugly, Heavy, Hunk OF CRAP like the new Camaro. I have yet to see even a bolt-on tuned new pos Camaro do anything but LOSE.

Just my Opinion, I have been absent due to the Tornadoes in my area, and i am not talking about the Quote "fuel saving" ones.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stockz
Please DONT EVER compare the new Camaro with the New Mustang PERIOD!!!

I am a TRUE Camaro Fan.

BUT the New Camaro SUCKS, hear that GM, SUCKS. I WILL Buy a 5.0L before you could GIVE ME a new Ugly, Heavy, Hunk OF CRAP like the new Camaro. I have yet to see even a bolt-on tuned new pos Camaro do anything but LOSE.

Just my Opinion, I have been absent due to the Tornadoes in my area, and i am not talking about the Quote "fuel saving" ones.

I think part of the reason why we see so many new Camaro SS kills is because everyone and their mother went out to buy one when they first came out. I know people who have never owned a sports car in their life that have a 10' ss and they are the type of people that would be a easy kill for someone that has a slower car but can drive alot better. Hell, my 24 year old female cousin has the L99 10' ss and she has yet to win a race against anything. Those are the type of people that dont look for races but they get challenged and when they do, they lose. The people who buy the SS to mod it and run it like it was made to are the ones that you will rarely come across.

They dont have that same effect on other cars like the LS1 cars did. Ive been with friends on countless occasions in high end cars that still to this day get nervous when a LS1 pulls up or gets behind them because you never know what to expect it could be bone stock or a fully built H/C car ready to take out whoever lol. Im not saying the 10'ss cant be fast but the chances of running into one thats not stock and willing to run is very slim. Atleast out here it is.

The only other car I can name right now that scares the competition like LS1's did is the new 5.0, the guy that parks next to me in our parking garage just recently got a new ISF and we took it out to see what it could do and here in Hollywood there is a 5.0 on literally every corner and sure enough a blacked out lowered 5.0 pulls up behind us getting on the 101 and I kid you not his exact words were "Oh **** its a 5.0"
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
Why would it not matter how many there are? If a manufacturer puts out a product with continual with issues from the same part, that is a major concern. Especially when it's something like a transmission.

And no, they all aren't being fixed...for instance: https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...smissions.html

No, your times do not matter to this thread. No one asked what it ran before you volunteered your times, which are a bit on the outlandish side as well. All that matters was the 5.0 in the video. A driver is part of the car, and if it fails, it's the same as putting a bad part on the car.

Why would I be butthurt? You are the one coming to the defense of the almighty 5oh just because it didn't run how it should. Shoulda/coulda/woulda doesn't mean ****.
Why are you riding him so bad because he posted his times? He simply posted up what those cars are capable of and provided proof. Stop whining about it already. Not a huge Mustang Fan but they are getting my respect .
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

BTW, Ohio, those are some sick times on your 5.0. I really like wht the new Boss 302s are doing as well. 117+ traps bone stock and 12.2 with factory rubber ... handling to match almost any sports car out there ..... wow Ford .. really ?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

IAs far as 500k retire. I would have no bills. WIfe still work, and i still bring in 30k from retirement alone. Plus still have full medical from retirement. Or the rental properties i have.. .
Okay that all adds up quite nicely...

But was that a 1/8th or 1/4 mile run?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5.0's is a beast for sure but not all of them will run those times Ohioborn80. Like you said in the other thread, some of them weight around 3800+lbs and lets not forget that some don't have the 3.73 option. To me its easy to see and understand why some of them cant get out of the 13s. Its really simple, not all 5.0's are light and geared properly so don't be surprised to hear about them getting smashed on the streets.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Okay that all adds up quite nicely...

But was that a 1/8th or 1/4 mile run?
Both runs i have did was 1/4 mile.

I just had all bolt ons in my sig dynoed yesterday. WIll have sheet soon. I'm deployed they emailing to me. But car with now makes 448whp/405wtq..WIsh was little more tq but that one down side of boss is the little lost down low.

But was told car pulled hard all way to 7500rpms. Came up to it fast also. This was a 4th gear pull. 5th is 1to1 but last dyno was 4th also so left it that way so could compare. dyno before when ran 11s was 414 with cold air/tune but after 6800-6900 started falling off. Last pull was also with 3.73 gears and 275 tires. Pull yesterday was 4.10 gears and 295 tires. Which gears and tires will eat some results.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
I think part of the reason why we see so many new Camaro SS kills is because everyone and their mother went out to buy one when they first came out. I know people who have never owned a sports car in their life that have a 10' ss and they are the type of people that would be a easy kill for someone that has a slower car but can drive alot better. Hell, my 24 year old female cousin has the L99 10' ss and she has yet to win a race against anything. Those are the type of people that dont look for races but they get challenged and when they do, they lose. The people who buy the SS to mod it and run it like it was made to are the ones that you will rarely come across.

They dont have that same effect on other cars like the LS1 cars did. Ive been with friends on countless occasions in high end cars that still to this day get nervous when a LS1 pulls up or gets behind them because you never know what to expect it could be bone stock or a fully built H/C car ready to take out whoever lol. Im not saying the 10'ss cant be fast but the chances of running into one thats not stock and willing to run is very slim. Atleast out here it is.

The only other car I can name right now that scares the competition like LS1's did is the new 5.0, the guy that parks next to me in our parking garage just recently got a new ISF and we took it out to see what it could do and here in Hollywood there is a 5.0 on literally every corner and sure enough a blacked out lowered 5.0 pulls up behind us getting on the 101 and I kid you not his exact words were "Oh **** its a 5.0"
I will agree with this. Here where i am every one jumped on the new SS. Old young every one. Every one gathers up at a shopping center here. Muscle form GM/Ford/Dodge to imports of ranges and even high end cars liek Lmabos/ferrari's/Lotus, few ZR1's/ Granted only few of each last 3 but they are here. There is usually 15 new camaros that show up. Only 2 are made to go fast. 1 has a maggie with h/c/i. Other is cammed to hell. BUt they also dont race them. They talk big game till challenged then they have excusses to why can run. Then you have least 4 with 22" rims and even one with 28" rims.

One day a older women maybe late late 40s early 50s pulled up to me in G8 and reved her engine. So i ran her. After she was like ya well i look better cause i paid 43k for my car with RS package blah blah. I just laughed and told her sh epaid to much. 3 days later go in to see wife at work and she there complaining how she lost to a 4 door Pontiac. lol

As far as 5.0s. They are every where and i know few them that are slow as well. Guys can drive them or seen one run good times so think they can cause they have same car. One guy tried say our cars have same mods before my work i just did and we would run same times. I ran the 11 and he ran mid 12s. Same track same day everything.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Empatho
The 5.0's is a beast for sure but not all of them will run those times Ohioborn80. Like you said in the other thread, some of them weight around 3800+lbs and lets not forget that some don't have the 3.73 option. To me its easy to see and understand why some of them cant get out of the 13s. Its really simple, not all 5.0's are light and geared properly so don't be surprised to hear about them getting smashed on the streets.
Totally. But my point was not all 5.0s are running this time or that time stock or even modded. It comes down to a lot of things. Driver, track, DA, what done to car. Even on a street race anything can happen every one should know that. To hard off line and spin and you get *** handed to you by a car you should beat. I know i am guilty of that. Most like to think well i seen one run 13s so they all run 13s stock. Which is really not case. If had to pick average i would say 12.3-12.7 is more of an average for a stock 5.0. Big average yes but with the various options in the 5.0 that is the case. gears alone are 3.15/3.31/3.55/3.73s, then manual/auto, base/premium/convertible/glass roof(which is heavier then regular. Just so much determines what these cars can do stock. I know my self seen one run mid 13s all day on DRs with tune, same time i was running low 12s with with just tires.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

The 10 SS has gone 12.50s bone stock, 11.60s' with just bolt-ons and tires... the cars RUN, Yes TO MANY people have them just to have them! Thats the main problem with these slow times...In the RIGHT hands they perform. I my self have the car for the RIGHT reasons, and any **** talker's pull up on me with some stock or lightly modded mustang or Ls1 thinking 5ht gen's are junk, I will be more them happy to shut them up. I had no problem taking my brother's bolt on 2000 t/a and some bulit up Gt the other day, some guys that have 5th gen's actaully know what there doing with them! Its ashame these yahoo's gave the 5th gen a bad name, and half of you buy into that crap
Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Empatho
not all 5.0's are light and geared properly
Yes they are. I can't think of any 150lb options unless it's a convertible. A base geared automatic will run high 12s @ 110-111mph.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Teching In

this is my tune, cold air, x pipe, and gears run..Listen to end video you hear cant get into 5th gear. Lost synchro. It had more in it. Notice trap speed is only 106.

Ford replaced tranny, new clutch, pp, and flywheel under warranty.

That video was obviously a fake and heavily edited. That is probably not even your car. The 5.0 is slow and you are obviously trolling.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweetC5
The 10 SS has gone 12.50s bone stock, 11.60s' with just bolt-ons and tires... the cars RUN, Yes TO MANY people have them just to have them! Thats the main problem with these slow times...In the RIGHT hands they perform. I my self have the car for the RIGHT reasons, and any **** talker's pull up on me with some stock or lightly modded mustang or Ls1 thinking 5ht gen's are junk, I will be more them happy to shut them up. I had no problem taking my brother's bolt on 2000 t/a and some bulit up Gt the other day, some guys that have 5th gen's actaully know what there doing with them! Its ashame these yahoo's gave the 5th gen a bad name, and half of you buy into that crap
Vid/timeslips of a bolton tires '10 SS going 11.60s?

Edit: I checked on camaro5.com and the fastest bolton 10' SS listed is 11.71@114. Still faster than I thought.

Last edited by fiveoh; 05-04-2011 at 09:49 AM.