Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a 2011 5.0 tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsnext
I haven't seen one at the track yet but why wouldn't they run low 12's ? I have ran a best of 12.6 and that was before a cai , short throw shifter and tune. If they are making 40 or 50 more hp to the wheel's than me (maybe more) shouldn't they run low 12's.
GM timezone is a second behind Ford timezone. Has always been this way
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsnext
I haven't seen one at the track yet but why wouldn't they run low 12's ? I have ran a best of 12.6 and that was before a cai , short throw shifter and tune. If they are making 40 or 50 more hp to the wheel's than me (maybe more) shouldn't they run low 12's.
A lot has to do with DA. +3000 DA can add some time to the car even in stock form. Still come down they dont want to believe there mighty LS3 in the big boat it is in is being beat by a smaller engine that wears a mustang emblem and a ford badge.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fiveoh
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=321

"JLT Carbon Fiber CAI (2011 Mustang GT) *Tuning Required"

I believe its because of the change of air flow throwing off the factory MAF readings. Dont quote me on that though.
In my opinion, that's really retarded. I don't care what kind of car that is on, that is stupid. The MAF is supposed to recalibrate itself for air. I could understand going with a bigger MAF, like how when we put 85mm MAFs on the f-bodies, it requires tuning, but not adding air to the same stock MAF.. F that.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quick SSilver 98
I bet you break your transmission way before that. I wonder if Ford is going to have a factory recall on the new 5.0 transmission since I have seen more than 3 break and have to go back to the dealer ship, and I have seen more than 5 not be able to shift into gear at wot lol skip shift my ***.
If it breaks again i will return to stock and trade in on a auto. Then throw a 4500k stall in it.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CAI and a K&N drop in are 2 different things. A cai on a new 5.0 does require a new tune.
So you're the one that was making the excuses in the other thread about a bolt on 5.0 being slower?

I was being sarcastic about the K&N drop in lol but since he modded the exhaust the better flowing exhaast might mess with the 02's and start to dump fuel...

I love these Ford excuses!!!!

Last edited by CyberGrey Z28; 05-09-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: ...
Old 05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Still come down they dont want to believe there mighty LS3 in the big boat it is in is being beat by a smaller engine that wears a mustang emblem and a ford badge.
You always gotta get a little cocky right when i start to think your comming off your high horse.. Our LS3 isnt the king of the crop but it's a damn strong motor and your right about the weight.. go run an ls3 vette stock for stock.. walked up and down for sure
Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
You always gotta get a little cocky right when i start to think your comming off your high horse.. Our LS3 isnt the king of the crop but it's a damn strong motor and your right about the weight.. go run an ls3 vette stock for stock.. walked up and down for sure
Exactly, the Camaro isn't the only thing runnin an LS3

****, even a G8 GXP weighs as much as an auto SS, and like 100lbs more than a manual SS
Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

I wasnt saying the LS3 was bad at all. Just the camaro is a boat when next to a mustang on a scale. Actually coming from the G8 i know what a LSX engine can do. Specially with bolt ons alone. I had a 4dr family car run mid 12s with bolt ons and 4200lbs. Low 12s with a 75 shota nd no tune with it. Only thing i regret was never getting a clean pass with my big shot before getting rid of it. With big shot I made a couple GT500s/LS3 vettes look bed on the street.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Speaking of the vette. My wife just told me the C7 will be out soon..I wonder what changes will be made in power to run faster then the ZL1.

They was told at her work should be a 2012

Last edited by ohioborn80; 05-09-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HoLLo
In my opinion, that's really retarded. I don't care what kind of car that is on, that is stupid. The MAF is supposed to recalibrate itself for air. I could understand going with a bigger MAF, like how when we put 85mm MAFs on the f-bodies, it requires tuning, but not adding air to the same stock MAF.. F that.
I'm not sure if you are arguing with me that this isnt the case or just saying its stupid.

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
So you're the one that was making the excuses in the other thread about a bolt on 5.0 being slower?

I was being sarcastic about the K&N drop in lol but since he modded the exhaust the better flowing exhaast might mess with the 02's and start to dump fuel...

I love these Ford excuses!!!!
I did not make any excuses about anything. You made a sarcastic comment implying that the 5.0 did not need a tune with a CAI and I posted links to the CAI manufacturer’s website showing that it in fact does need a tune to work properly. You can make fun of me all you want but obviously I am right and you are just trying to bash me because you don’t like the fact I drive a 5.0 or something.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure if you are arguing with me that this isnt the case or just saying its stupid.

I did not make any excuses about anything. You made a sarcastic comment implying that the 5.0 did not need a tune with a CAI and I posted links to the CAI manufacturer’s website showing that it in fact does need a tune to work properly. You can make fun of me all you want but obviously I am right and you are just trying to bash me because you don’t like the fact I drive a 5.0 or something.
Your 5.0 is slow..Point blank..
Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Your 5.0 is slow..Point blank..
I know this. It has mods and wont run 11s wtf!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

He's not arguing with you if your right or wrong. He's just saying its retarded to need a tune for a CAI. CAI's are usually expensive enough with minimal hp gains let alone pay for a tune.. Nothing towards your 5.0 bud.. your fine
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

I know this. It has mods and wont run 11s wtf!
I bet it will with new x pipe...only thing that may kill you is the DA now. tx heat is here.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure if you are arguing with me that this isnt the case or just saying its stupid. .
Not arguing with you, just stating how that is a bit impractical and frankly kind of dumb to REQUIRE a tune for an intake mod. I could understand a retune for SD tune, but not a MAF tune..

He's not arguing with you if your right or wrong. He's just saying its retarded to need a tune for a CAI. CAI's are usually expensive enough with minimal hp gains let alone pay for a tune.. Nothing towards your 5.0 bud.. your fine
^X2 what he said.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually you're a little mixed up. A CAI as a bolt by itself will make more power regardless of tune about 5-10hp. Manufacturers make claims of making 30+hp w/ Brand "X" CAI which is why they add the disclaimer about needed a tune to reach it's full potential. Talk to a tuner if you don't believe me.

I'm not bashing on you because you drive a 5.0, just that these type of excuses are not true and start fanboi internet myths. Plus I like that Ford finally has a N/A platform that's not a waste of gas for modded LSx's to run unlike the poor 2V's and 3Vs. Now we have ourselves some worthwhile pony car wars.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Teching In

You are correct. The cold air for the 5.0s throw off the MAF and it will start then die right away. I found that out when tried to put stock tune in to take to dealer. I said **** it and put aftermarket tune back in.
Actually you're a little mixed up. A CAI as a bolt by itself will make more power regardless of tune about 5-10hp. Manufacturers make claims of making 30+hp w/ Brand "X" CAI which is why they add the disclaimer about needed a tune to reach it's full potential. Talk to a tuner if you don't believe me.

I'm not bashing on you because you drive a 5.0, just that these type of excuses are not true and start fanboi internet myths. Plus I like that Ford finally has a N/A platform that's not a waste of gas for modded LSx's to run unlike the poor 2V's and 3Vs. Now we have ourselves some worthwhile pony car wars.
I understand what you are saying about it not making the 30hp claim without a tune but that is not the case with this car. A CAI alone with no tune will cause the car to not run properly. See the above quoted posted by ohioborn. This is not a "fanboy internet myth" it is common knowledge on the ford boards.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Dont worry, some fanboy is gonna come here and say how much it should be closer cause every 5.0l is a 12sec@114mph car and should be at your door. Then its gonna turn into a bitch fest.
Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
But Ill wait for the ford guys to come in and say what could have happen to the low 12 second bone stock car

I predict 5 pages by monday afternoon
Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Nice kill man,welcome to the ( I killed the almighty 5.0 club) lol,ya know I find it funny that I hear all these internet myths about the 5.0 but yet to see much out of them on the street........yet anyways.lol nice ride man
Originally Posted by sweetC5
How is this possible, we GM boys have been told the 5.0 runs 11s with just tires and a tune. Stock they pull low 12's all day long... I dont understand this, you KILLED HIM!!! O thats right, this happen in real life on a real street... not in some ones wishfull mind! LMAO
Some of you guys always complain about "fanbois" doing nothing but talking about and defending Mustangs, but you are CONSTANTLY making little comments like this. Honestly, what do you expect to happen? Anyway, good kill OP. Your car obviously runs hard, and it's really no question at all that you were going to beat him pretty bad. Keep working on your setup, let him get a bit more seat team and a few more mods, and I'll look forward to reading your next story
Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WomenBeShoppin
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but after watching that it looks like it would take alot more than a little more mods to "blow your doors off"
That's exactly what I was thinking. Make sure you get another vid after your friend gets some mods.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What mph roll was that? Looked kinda low. My dad just installed the lightweight driveshaft and he said he noticed a big defference in low end.

Quick Reply: Ran a 2011 5.0 tonight.