Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My most impressive kill

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
His bike is a 2007 or a 2008 Busa and I have another friend with a 2009 GSXR1000. We ran both bikes then switched drivers and ran both bikes again and both times the Busa with stock header and a slip-on pipe, intake, sprocket and a basic tune smoked the **** out of the GSXR1000 with full exhaust, intake, Sprocket and a dyno tune. When I say smoked the **** out of it I mean by 3-4 bike lengths by the 1/4.. From a roll from about 40mph to about 150 the Busa has put 4-5 lengths on the GSXR1000 and the Suzuki's seem to be the faster bikes on the market compared to the Honda's and the Yamaha's.
Am I wrong?
Ok,i I thought you meant 5n car lengths. A few bike lengths is about right, which isn't that much difference et or mph wise. At least not what some make it out to be.

Yamaha is known for making slower straight line speed bikes, the slowest out of the pack in most cases. Suzuki has their ducks in a line. Honda is middle of the pack and my choice.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Ok,i I thought you meant 5n car lengths. A few bike lengths is about right, which isn't that much difference et or mph wise. At least not what some make it out to be.

Yamaha is known for making slower straight line speed bikes, the slowest out of the pack in most cases. Suzuki has their ducks in a line. Honda is middle of the pack and my choice.
I have to agree with this one.. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Andrew1989
Neither am I. I am not calling BS on you in any way shape or form. I am just trying to attest to how these bikes run from my experiences and how they match up to cars. I can not attest to to power loss at altitude like you so you would know more than me at that point. Are your horsepower numbers at elevation?
Hey it's all good. No worries here. The numbers I quoted for the bikes were actual at this altitude. The SAE numbers for my cars are density altitude corrected, because you get so many "Why is your power so low?" questions if you state actual. Plus SAE numbers are what most folks quote off a chassis dyno.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll have to do some digging. this **** happened awhile ago and i honestly didn't take notes. if you guys are trying to split hairs, feel free. the car weighed right at 3k with driver.

edit: i know next to nothing about bikes. i see them at the track all the time, but i've never had anything fast enough to tangle with a liter bike.

2nd edit: 1st was an 06 1krr. he also ran a gsxr1k k8...that was almost a toss up, he ended up like a half car up. don't know mods on either.

here is a vid.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVOR...eature=related

Last edited by s346k; 05-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I could most certainly see a 700rwhp 3,000lb car pulling a liter bike @ 120+, nothing unbelievable about that.

We are talking a 550ish rwhp vette that I'm sure race weight is around 3300ish beating a modded liter bike. Extra 100+rwhp and weighing a few hundred less. Not to mention the fox started at a much higher mph than 10 which is more ideal, bikes are as aerodynamic as a brick and took the fox 120+ to barely put what 2 on it maybe?
And I was being nice saying 3200#, I figured it was under that.

From a lower 20-30mph roll it would have took that fox until around 140 to come around it I would bet.
Throw a few mods at it, full exhaust sprockets and tune and anything under 40mph it would have to be a very long race for him to come back from the initial jump.

I'm not spewing bs.. I enjoy bikes and cars. I know what both run, normal mods,how much power with what weight on average it takes to run with xxxxx bike... etc etc
Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?? whatever the case. the car was ahead when they stopped.

i'm not trying to argue with you or discredit your knowledge. simply posting up about my experience(s) and being forced into proving it haha. most of the guys i hang out with only have 130 cars, so my experience with bikes is very limited. the guys i know who have *fast cars typically won't race on the street.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by good2go
Absolutely not mid 9's. MAYBE, MAYBE, top 9's to mid 10's with very good air. On the other hand I don't see a stock wheelbase cbr1000 with minimal mods running that quick either. Am I wrong?
Hopefully this works. Motorcycle-usa has tested the repsol at a 9.68.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/114/34...on-Street.aspx

Not to bench race or anything but they are definitely capable. I ride a decently modded F4i and can comment on how well Honda builds their motorcycle chassis. They are very well and out of the liter bikes, the most controllable when WOT.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey it's all good. No worries here. The numbers I quoted for the bikes were actual at this altitude. The SAE numbers for my cars are density altitude corrected, because you get so many "Why is your power so low?" questions if you state actual. Plus SAE numbers are what most folks quote off a chassis dyno.
Hello Wayne Didn't know you were on here.

Guys, Wayne's car is quick, ask me how I know. I wouldn't doubt that he beat the liter bike at all. Too bad no video evidence of it!
But I could post a vid w/ some of his races in it....
Redmaro Production: Street Action 16(supra, 67mm M3 & more)

I'm in here getting SPANKED by his car.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

I did some more number crunching based on the article tracked350Z put up and based on those numbers it's still possible in a fair fight I'd be right there.

I think the thing people have trouble getting their head around is how much performance you lose at altitude.

On the day/time/location we raced the DA was EXTREMELY HIGH (normal for us though), try (from dragtimes.com) eight THOUSAND two HUNDRED and 65 feet. Now converting a run at sea level conditions to those conditions (using the calculator at wallaceracing.com) makes that 9.68@139 bike only capable of running a 10.86@ 124. The owner says an 11.0, I've shown vid of an 11.0 here. I'm thinking that's real numbers for here.

Anybody else run in high DA conditions and care to comment?

Robert! I still can't believe we lined up three abreast for a run.

Last edited by good2go; 05-26-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

But wasnt your Dyno run of 5xx rwhp corrected? That takes your horrible da out of it. So if you Dyno a modded liter bike up there corrected it will make 170rwhp.... then Dyno without corrected you are at say 490rwhp and he is at 130rwhp.. it still going to beat you as bad as I'm saying.
I'm trying to show you and others the performance of bikes with capable riders.. I'm not trying to discredit you or anyone. I would just hate for someone to how money down or argue that it only takes sub 600 rwhp to hang with or beat a liter bike.

Iwgf.. I'm not saying he is lying and yes his car is extremely stout. But it is not modded liter bike stout.

It seems as if you are acting like only the bike Is effected by the bad DA. If It takes a corrected minimum 700rwhp if good da, it will take a corrected min 700rwhp in your da.
I haven't paid attention to what your car or other bikes run up there cause it doesnt matter, I don't know what they should be running. What I do know is your car doesnt make nearly enough power to hang/beat a modded liter bike. Would you get laughed at? Most certainly not.. could you beat one with a rider not up to par? Most certainly.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Good buddy of mine on a 03 gsxr 600 goes consiatant 11.3's and all his has is a sproket swap.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
But wasnt your Dyno run of 5xx rwhp corrected? That takes your horrible da out of it. So if you Dyno a modded liter bike up there corrected it will make 170rwhp.... then Dyno without corrected you are at say 490rwhp and he is at 130rwhp.. it still going to beat you as bad as I'm saying.
I'm trying to show you and others the performance of bikes with capable riders.. I'm not trying to discredit you or anyone. I would just hate for someone to how money down or argue that it only takes sub 600 rwhp to hang with or beat a liter bike.

Iwgf.. I'm not saying he is lying and yes his car is extremely stout. But it is not modded liter bike stout.

It seems as if you are acting like only the bike Is effected by the bad DA. If It takes a corrected minimum 700rwhp if good da, it will take a corrected min 700rwhp in your da.
I haven't paid attention to what your car or other bikes run up there cause it doesnt matter, I don't know what they should be running. What I do know is your car doesnt make nearly enough power to hang/beat a modded liter bike. Would you get laughed at? Most certainly not.. could you beat one with a rider not up to par? Most certainly.
Look at the drag racing times and how they are affected by DA. Up here, that bike is no longer a mid nine sec ride, it's a high 10 sec ride, with a pro on board. With a normal rider, 11.0 (as evidenced by the owner AND another CBR1000RR rider). Taking the launch out of the equation my car is a high 10 sec runner at these altitudes and DA's. From a roll it would seem that's a pretty fair fight.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Look at the drag racing times and how they are affected by DA. Up here, that bike is no longer a mid nine sec ride, it's a high 10 sec ride, with a pro on board. With a normal rider, 11.0 (as evidenced by the owner AND another CBR1000RR rider). Taking the launch out of the equation my car is a high 10 sec runner at these altitudes and DA's. From a roll it would seem that's a pretty fair fight.
Come on man.. corrected you make 570rwhp... corrected most slightly modded liter bikes will make 165-175rwhp. No matter if you race In -1500da or +8000da there is still going to be the same gap In them.

It's not like uncorrected your car still makes 570 and a liter bike only makes 130.

I'm not looking at what anything runs here or there, your car or bikes. I know the power it takes to outrun a bike with 160-170rwhp.. simple put, your car doesn't make nearly enough power to outrun a liter bike.

Elevation weather DA humidity have NOTHING to do with what I'm basing my posts on. I know the rwhp of your car corrected, that's all that matters.
With 570rwhp a 170rwhp bike, like the one you ran, from a 10mph roll Is going to walk you extremely hard. At 140 or so you might stop his pull but by the time you would run him down and be equal, that would be an extremely long race.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

And again I'm being generous..700rwhp would be the absolute minimum for a stock liter bike. That would take a decently long race and a sub 3200 race weight.

It's good though.. I have made my point, anyone reading with an open mind should see it.

Good kill!!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most liter bikes here don't run 9s Lemons. 1) Rider quality isn't there 2) DA kills them. There are some very fast riders here in ABQ but I see a lot of liter bikes get smacked around by 600ish whp cars. Just saying. For a good rider with a well set up bike, you gotta bring your A game and be on kill mode though.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Bench racing is all good. Woulda, shoulda, couda. Bottom line I stayed with him till mid 90 mph, and slightly walked him to a little over 130. Why it happened is open for discussion. Could I have surprised him with just how quick my car is? Most likely. But only because my car IS that quick, up here. The numbers show this to be a valid race, with the actual results a possibility, even with a fair rider.

Cheers all, hope you enjoyed reading about it and the discussion.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by IWGF
Most liter bikes here don't run 9s Lemons. 1) Rider quality isn't there 2) DA kills them. There are some very fast riders here in ABQ but I see a lot of liter bikes get smacked around by 600ish whp cars. Just saying. For a good rider with a well set up bike, you gotta bring your A game and be on kill mode though.
almost all new liter bikes run 9s.. whether the rider can get it there is irrelevant. Even with a **** rider from a roll, it is still a 140+ mph bike. Few mods 145+.

600rwhp is a properly setup heads cam ls1 on a 150 shot.. take out 200lbs or so to equal ops weight.. NOT going to happen, period. With anyone who can half *** shift a bike.
I mean seriously.. you guys really think it only takes 600rwhp to put 2-3 lengths on a modded liter bike? We are talking a mid-high 130 at best car against a mid-high 140 bike that has Insane throttle response and mid range, that alone Is going to give it a 1 1/3 jump at first. If the race Is long enough, 140+, I'm sure 600rwhp could run It down by 160 or so.
And yes, most liter bikes with someone who has 15-20 passes do run 9s. They aren't THAT hard to launch.
A good rider on a stock bike you better bring 700+rwhp and hope for a race that ends past 120.

I'm not tryig to be an ***... this is just silly though.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bench racing is all good. Woulda, shoulda, couda. Bottom line I stayed with him till mid 90 mph, and slightly walked him to a little over 130. Why it happened is open for discussion. Could I have surprised him with just how quick my car is? Most likely. But only because my car IS that quick, up here. The numbers show this to be a valid race, with the actual results a possibility, even with a fair rider.

Cheers all, hope you enjoyed reading about it and the discussion.

I'm sure I surprised the **** out of some of the bikes I ran also!! Like stated though, a win is a win!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IWGF
"almost all new liter bikes run 9s.. whether the rider can get it there is irrelevant. Even with a **** rider from a roll, it is still a 140+ mph bike. Few mods 145+. "

You missed a key point he made: 9's HERE.

The DA does kill performance here. Play with some of the calculators out there, that bike is gonna run at least a second slower and 10-15 mph less at these DA's.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

"almost all new liter bikes run 9s.. whether the rider can get it there is irrelevant. Even with a **** rider from a roll, it is still a 140+ mph bike. Few mods 145+. "

You missed a key point he made: 9's HERE.

The DA does kill performance here. Play with some of the calculators out there, that bike is gonna run at least a second slower and 10-15 mph less at these DA's.
I did miss that.

However, I didn't miss that you made 570Rwhp corrected.... And liter bikes (like the one you ran) make north of 160Rwhp corrected.
No matter what you run there and a liter bike runs there... Those are the same Rwhp that most everyone uses.

Quick Reply: My most impressive kill