Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

???Mustang vs Cammed Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockz
I guess so, is it not a 6.0l Yes, it is a truck block,is there a difference? I was told I could get better stock heads than whats on the car, but being a student cash is hard to find laying around. They were hand rubbed, and going from a stock Ls1 head using the same valves I gained 20rwhp on the dyno, only cost me $300. If some one wants to donate a pair of aftermarket heads I'll try them.
The iron 6.0L truck block is a LS1 Iron block. The LS2 is an alluminum block and it is completely different than that iron block you have.. Change your sig to Iron LS1 block..

Not trying to be a dick man but I just lost a little respect for you becuase of your last few post. I always took you for someone who knew what they were talking about.. Now not so much..
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pssst (whispers excuse me) there's no such thing as an iron LS1. Btw OP if it is infact an iron 6.0 you have either a LQ4 or LQ9.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Pssst (whispers excuse me) there's no such thing as an iron LS1. Btw OP if it is infact an iron 6.0 you have either a LQ4 or LQ9.
You don't know what your talking about!! The 6.0L LQ9-LQ4 is considered a LS1 iron block..
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

well considering it's just a truck motor with a cam then I guess 88mph is realistic if you have terrible air there

My car has in the past dropped down to 88mph in the 1/8th in bad air (~3k DA), usually it's right at 90mph in 1800-2200 DA
Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by odarabla
You don't know what your talking about!! The 6.0L LQ9-LQ4 is considered a LS1 iron block..

You sir are incorrect. The blocks/engines being discussed are all Gen 3 small block v8 that is true. The ONLY LS1 ever offered by gm was the aluminum 5.7 period. All of these other blocks were based off of it. Hence them being "LS" engines. I love how you bash OP saying "I lost a little respect as I see you don't know what you are talking about" when in fact you are the one who don't have your facts straight. A lil hypocritical if you ask me. Google search it and you will see that I am right.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Agreed. A ls1 is a 5.7 aluminum block. Period.

The 5.3 aluminum block, iron 4.8/5.3 block, and the 6.0l iron block are all truck motors with their own names that just get lumped into the LS family and are often referred to as LSx (which is also the branded name of a GM performance block to make things even more confusing).

There is also a 5.3 car engine made for the SS monte carlo and GXP or whatever IIRC.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

You sir are incorrect. The blocks/engines being discussed are all Gen 3 small block v8 that is true. The ONLY LS1 ever offered by gm was the aluminum 5.7 period. All of these other blocks were based off of it. Hence them being "LS" engines. I love how you bash OP saying "I lost a little respect as I see you don't know what you are talking about" when in fact you are the one who don't have your facts straight. A lil hypocritical if you ask me. Google search it and you will see that I am right.
The problem is you don't understand they are considered LS1 blocks even though they are marked different. They are considered LS1 truck engines due to the gen 3 design. Look this up and you will see that I am correct.. Try finding all the facts before making an argument!!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Straight from Wikki

4.00 in bore blocks (1999–2007)The 6.0 L is a larger truck version of the LS1, with the exception that the blocks were cast of iron, and was designed to bridge the gap between the new small blocks and big blocks in truck applications. There were two version of this engine: the LQ4 and the LQ9, the latter being more performance oriented. Although the block of the 6.0L looks similar to the LS1, they are iron instead of aluminium.

Now, say your sorry!!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Look man you are like argueing with a rock. This is really more of a discussion though. If you call up any LS1tech sponsor and ask what material and displacement a LS1 block is they will 100% of the time alluminum/5.7 because it is the only block/engine with the LS1 designation. PERIOD all other engines to follow are the same design but material and displacement changes which is why they all have different engine designations i.e. LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LQ4/9 LS7 and so on.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Look man you are like argueing with a rock. This is really more of a discussion though. If you call up any LS1tech sponsor and ask what material and displacement a LS1 block is they will 100% of the time alluminum/5.7 because it is the only block/engine with the LS1 designation. PERIOD all other engines to follow are the same design but material and displacement changes which is why they all have different engine designations i.e. LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LQ4/9 LS7 and so on.
Whats so hard to understand. The LQ4 and LQ9 are just different iron versions of the LS1 motor. If you like you can ask any sponser or mod on here. I already provided you the evidence you needed why are you still questioning it?

Here you go read it for yourself..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Restricted User

I trapped 88mph in my bolt-on ls1
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, it is user edited.

The lq9 is no more a ls1 than it is a ls2. A lq9 is a lq9, 2 letters and a number code. The ls1 is a ls1, 2 letters and a number code. They are just GM codes. Laymen's terms have come to lead to people calling them ls1 in some circumstance but it is simply not accurate or correct in any way other than both are genIII sbc.

It's like calling a ls5 454 a l88 427 just because they are both BBC. One is aluminum, one is iron, and they are different displacement. Not the same thing at all.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

The lq9 is no more a ls1 than it is a ls2. A lq9 is a lq9, 2 letters and a number code. The ls1 is a ls1, 2 letters and a number code. They are just GM codes. Laymen's terms have come to lead to people calling them ls1 in some circumstance but it is simply not accurate or correct in any way other than both are genIII sbc.

It's like calling a ls5 454 a l88 427 just because they are both BBC. One is aluminum, one is iron, and they are different displacement. Not the same thing at all.
Since when Wikki wasn't a correct source of info? It's funny you will say this because GM themselves referres to the LQ9-4 as a LS1. Why is this?

I provided proof other than just my words where is yours?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since when Wikki wasn't a correct source of info? It's funny you will say this because GM themselves referres to the LQ9-4 as a LS1. Why is this?

I provided proof other than just my words where is yours?
Really? I would think such a "seasoned racer" like yourself would know this kind of stuff. The LQ4/9 is not an LS1.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Really? I would think such a "seasoned racer" like yourself would know this kind of stuff. The LQ4/9 is not an LS1.
Why are they sold as LS1 block then dip ****?
Redfire I can't say I ever had respect for you as a racer!! Your just a whinny little bitch!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=28
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oohhh it all makes sense now. They are the same exact thing when the material is different pistons are different size and the displacement is bigger. Look why don't you take this "iron LS1" and take pistons out of an actual LS1 and if they fit and run I will get on my knees and suck your dick.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone anytime so that is no proof of your point or that it is even someone else's words
Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Oohhh it all makes sense now. They are the same exact thing when the material is different pistons are different size and the displacement is bigger. Look why don't you take this "iron LS1" and take pistons out of an actual LS1 and if they fit and run I will get on my knees and suck your dick.
you can't be this dumn!! Provided evidence that I'm wrong. You argue so you won't admitt your wrong. SO PROOF!!! At least show me where you are getting your information from!! I showed you but all I get is that it's not reliable information.. Show yours dip ****!!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91RS99z
Wikipedia can be edited by anyone anytime so that is no proof of your point or that it is even someone else's words
O.K. then show proof from some other means that I am wrong!! If I am proved to be wrong I will admitt I am wrong but just word of mouth from another member isn't good enough.. LS1tech, other LS sites,GM, Sponser that build the engine all refer to it as a LS1 truck engine. With the LQ4 and LQ9 just being differrent versions of the LS1 truck engine. Show proof as I have or STFU..
Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

By who? You perhaps ?
The problem is you don't understand they are considered LS1 blocks even though they are marked different. They are considered LS1 truck engines due to the gen 3 design. Look this up and you will see that I am correct.. Try finding all the facts before making an argument!!
Ditto.

This.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

This too.
Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Yeah I lost respect for him long ago. Like Unit says, he is on a high horse!!!
you can't be this dumn!! Provided evidence that I'm wrong. You argue so you won't admitt your wrong. SO PROOF!!! At least show me where you are getting your information from!! I showed you but all I get is that it's not reliable information.. Show yours dip ****!!
Wow, and name calling too. Dude you're the only one on your side okay? Get used to it.

Quick edit: Judging by the bolded words, I think in this case the pot has met the kettle FYI- dumn=dumb and your=you're (why can't anyone get this ) Damn! If it's worth typing, is it not worth typing correctly? I understand the odd mistake or typo, but some of you guys come across as illiterate, and it's usually the same guys calling everyone else idiots etc. Just for the record, I normally wouldn't point out something so petty. When someone is being petty though, why not?

Last edited by oddwraith; 05-26-2011 at 11:35 AM.