Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

???Mustang vs Cammed Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stockz
I guess so, is it not a 6.0l Yes, it is a truck block,is there a difference? I was told I could get better stock heads than whats on the car, but being a student cash is hard to find laying around. They were hand rubbed, and going from a stock Ls1 head using the same valves I gained 20rwhp on the dyno, only cost me $300. If some one wants to donate a pair of aftermarket heads I'll try them.
^Yeah it's an iron LQ not LS2.

So what heads are on there, 317's (6.0) or LS1?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Yeah I lost respect for him long ago. Like Unit says, he is on a high horse!!!
That makes the both of us.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By who? You perhaps ?
Ditto.

This.

This too.

Yeah I lost respect for him long ago. Like Unit says, he is on a high horse!!!

Wow, and name calling too. Dude you're the only one on your side okay? Get used to it.

quick edit: Judging by the bolded word, I think pot has met kettle
I may be wrong with the name calling but the fact still remains. There was no evidence provided to prove me wrong. I have posted results from wikki but they were discredited so I posted results from Texas speed showing they offer a LS1/LQ9 iron 402-408ci engine (but I guess they don't know what they are talking about either). To call it a iron LS1 is not wrong but to call it a iron LS2 is wrong. This is how this argument was started.. Why is still an argument? I have no clue but until I am proved wrong I will continue to refer to them as LS1 iron blocks..
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright then, you do that sir Why listen to anyone else right? Just because something isn't deemed technically "wrong" doesn't indicate it is absolutely correct either. Just saying.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Odorbala my offer still stands. Take a "iron LS1" which is really a LQ4/9 and take all the bottom end out of an aluminum LS1 and if it all buttons up with no machining and I will suck your dick. A LS1 is a 5.7 and this iron LS1 is a 6.0 tell me how they are the same thing. As I already said in my first few posts they are all Gen 3 small block V8 that is the only similarity.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Agreed. A ls1 is a 5.7 aluminum block. Period.
Ding, ding, ding - We have a winner!

The stupidity in this thread is unbelieveable. Not that my opinion counts anyway since I'm stuck with the old boat anchor for a bit
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I actually sort of understood what he was saying at first, but then as usual he always takes it too far imo. Oh well I guess communication comes across all wrong on here sometimes, no big deal lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn't trying to be rude. I thought everyone knew that wikipedia was user edited.

LS1 is an engine designation, as is LQ9. They are both in the LS family. Here is an article that breaks it down. You could also look at the Scoggin Dickey catalog which sells GM crate engines. While it is COMMON for lq engines to get falsely called ls1, it is still not correct.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...son/index.html
Old 05-26-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6

The stupidity in this thread is unbelieveable. Not that my opinion counts anyway since I'm stuck with the old boat anchor for a bit
Hey, I miss my old boat anchor Thing hauled *** off the line, especially for a stock car in '95

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I wasn't trying to be rude. I thought everyone knew that wikipedia was user edited.

LS1 is an engine designation, as is LQ9. They are both in the LS family. Here is an article that breaks it down. You could also look at the Scoggin Dickey catalog which sells GM crate engines. While it is COMMON for lq engines to get falsely called ls1, it is still not correct.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...son/index.html
Exactly! There wouldn't be different designations if they were both the same in all ways, and to say that it is considered an iron ls1 block just seems off.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, I miss my old boat anchor Thing hauled *** off the line, especially for a stock car in '95
You miss your boat anchor, and I just so happen to have one you can take off my hands. Maybe you should buy it lol
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Your right!! The same people buy LT1 cars and race 4-door imports.

Last edited by odarabla; 05-26-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You miss your boat anchor, and I just so happen to have one you can take off my hands. Maybe you should buy it lol
Okay stop trying to pass that a4 lt1 pos off onto me, mine was an m6 anyways (so waaaay better ) lmao jk. I don't miss it enough to go back from ls to opti though Thanks anyways
Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Btw Odarabla you have that link posted to Texas-Speed that has the LS1/LQ blocks in 402-408 ci neither of which are stock cubes for them. Which is what our discussion was about this whole time. Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
^Yeah it's an iron LQ not LS2.

So what heads are on there, 317's (6.0) or LS1?
Ok, see I did't know that fact, and I did not want to call it a LS1 due to being called an Idiot when people found out is was a 6.0L. Now I am wondering if I built a turd

But I will fix that, Bought a NX kit and just gonna spray the Pee out of it

I think the are the 317 heads. It had Ls1 stock heads till I got the deal on the 6.0L I couldn't afford valves so the heads have stock LS1 valves.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stockz
Ok, see I did't know that fact, and I did not want to call it a LS1 due to being called an Idiot when people found out is was a 6.0L. Now I am wondering if I built a turd

But I will fix that, Bought a NX kit and just gonna spray the Pee out of it

I think the are the 331 heads.
Why do you wonder that? You did what most of us on a budget would have done
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Odorbala my offer still stands. Take a "iron LS1" which is really a LQ4/9 and take all the bottom end out of an aluminum LS1 and if it all buttons up with no machining and I will suck your dick. A LS1 is a 5.7 and this iron LS1 is a 6.0 tell me how they are the same thing. As I already said in my first few posts they are all Gen 3 small block V8 that is the only similarity.
There are so many of you that argue that it's not I must be wrong. The fact that GM themselves referred to this engine as the LS1 truck engine means nothing. They were referred to as LS1 truck engines because all the parts can be swapped (with the exception of the pistons due to the larger displacement BIGBIRD). With the exception of the block material and larger displacement they were identical.. This is not the case with the LS2-3-7-9 blocks. I completely understand your argument man but to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I referred to them as LS1 truck blocks (when GM also referred to them the same way) is wrong. To refer to them as LS2 iron blocks is wrong.. But who gives a ****!! right?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Btw Odarabla you have that link posted to Texas-Speed that has the LS1/LQ blocks in 402-408 ci neither of which are stock cubes for them. Which is what our discussion was about this whole time. Just thought I'd let you know.
What does this have anything to do with it? Your right it isn't a stock cube engine but the LS1/LQ9 iron block is the same reference because it started as a New GM stock block before they bored it out.. Still referring to it as a LS1/LQ9 iron block.. But I will be sure to call them to let them know they are wrong to..
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_167228.asp Just for S&G

At 1.04 you see the car with the stock LS1 heads vs a Full bolt-on LS1 car (when the car was running good.)

At 6.06 the car ran a 347 fully built mustang (I was told it made 680 to the crank) not sure but the stang won by a car.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

You never referred to it as a ls1/lq9 iron block. I thought you referred to a 6.0l iron block as an iron ls1 block?
Please go back and read my post..
Thank you..
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by odarabla
The iron 6.0L truck block is a LS1 Iron block. The LS2 is an alluminum block and it is completely different than that iron block you have.. Change your sig to Iron LS1 block..

Not trying to be a dick man but I just lost a little respect for you becuase of your last few post. I always took you for someone who knew what they were talking about.. Now not so much..
This one?

edit: You also said it is "known as a ls1 iron block" which it is not. It is known as the lq block, which it is. Just because something is similar to something else doesn't make it "known as" the same thing. Stupid argument anyways and I think everyone knows what the other is saying so **** on it.

Last edited by oddwraith; 05-26-2011 at 12:40 PM.