Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

lid/full exhaust 02 z28 vs maggie charged ctsv

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lid/full exhaust 02 z28 vs maggie charged ctsv

I just picked up a 02 z28. It's an a4 with a couple suspension, but power wise I just have an slp lid and full exhaust.

It was an older silver ctsv ls6, 6 speed, maggie and other bolt ons that I could see.

Did a 60 roll because it was on the highway, no way to dig it. Went to like 125 or so and he had 1.5 or 2 cars on me. I figured I'd run it out that high to see if he'd yank for. Couldn't beleive he had a maggie on the car. I wish I was in the one of the mustangs because I coulda tank care of this.

Cool two guys cruising, car sounded *******, and the guy could drive. Just seeing if there out here.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry but i got to call b.s. on this. When i had my ls6 ctsv with just intake and catback exhaust pushing about 340ish to the wheels i started to pull away from a headers and intake a4 ls1 ta, a gen 5 v8 camaro ( dont know if it was auto or stick), and a 6.0 gto all from 60 to 135ish each bout about 2 cars. From a roll the ctsv's can move out,remember they all come with 3.73 rear gear and from a roll the crappy wheel hop is not an issue. A full bolton maggied ls6 v should be pushing at least mid 400's to the wheels and equal wtq and trapping at least 117+. I was going to say maybe if the guy could not drive worth a damn, but you stated he could drive it well.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Nice kill.

CTS-V might have been on low boost.
Also, it had two people in it.

And finally, anything can happen on the street.

Does that cover everything? Yeah, I think so...
Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

We have a 05 CTs-V around us that has a maggie and bolt ons but yet only made 435whp. He needs a real tune bad. He went to one the local tuners that isn't worth a ****. He didn't want to listen and go to Patrick G one the admins here and get it tuned. He said its to far. 3 hours. After showing him what my G8 did after Patrick's tuning perfection.

Nice Kill. He could be suffering form **** tune or low boost.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was an older silver ctsv ls6, 6 speed, maggie and other bolt ons that I could see
how do you know it had any of it? did you stop and talk to him?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redctsv
Sorry but i got to call b.s. on this. When i had my ls6 ctsv with just intake and catback exhaust pushing about 340ish to the wheels i started to pull away from a headers and intake a4 ls1 ta, a gen 5 v8 camaro ( dont know if it was auto or stick), and a 6.0 gto all from 60 to 135ish each bout about 2 cars. From a roll the ctsv's can move out,remember they all come with 3.73 rear gear and from a roll the crappy wheel hop is not an issue. A full bolton maggied ls6 v should be pushing at least mid 400's to the wheels and equal wtq and trapping at least 117+. I was going to say maybe if the guy could not drive worth a damn, but you stated he could drive it well.
Anything can happen on the street maybe the guy started in a bad gear or a dead spot. I ran my buddy who has a lid/catback ss 6spd last night with my ls6 crate swap and mods in sig from a 45 roll which sucks for my auto and 3.42's he jumped 1.5 cars and stayed there till about 75 when I started to pull back. Now if we got an even start from 60 I have no doubt I'd lay waste to him being more hp and perfect auto shifts but hey its the street so nothings perfect, it still doesnt mean my car is slower than his. Just means he got the better race scenario. Get what I'm saying?
But I do agree a maggie ls6 should toast a z especially from a roll where the weight isnt as big of a factor. But I have to say caddys drivetrain must eat a lot of power because through a 6 speed an ls6 is around 350-360 hp stock going off of z06's and fbodys with ls6 swaps. Or was yours on a stingy dyno or something?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could be a number of things. What happened happened. Like I said, I'm not bragging about it. I know it should have been a 118 car or so. Didn't look like it once we got rolling. My car has done 109 best on motor, maybe it's got a 110 in it, but that still isn't nearly enough. It was fun to have a race where I could still see the tails. I just question it, thats all.

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Nice kill.

CTS-V might have been on low boost.
Also, it had two people in it.

And finally, anything can happen on the street.

Does that cover everything? Yeah, I think so...
Yes it does lol!

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
We have a 05 CTs-V around us that has a maggie and bolt ons but yet only made 435whp. He needs a real tune bad. He went to one the local tuners that isn't worth a ****. He didn't want to listen and go to Patrick G one the admins here and get it tuned. He said its to far. 3 hours. After showing him what my G8 did after Patrick's tuning perfection.

Nice Kill. He could be suffering form **** tune or low boost.
Could be those two and belt slip for all I know. Nice car regardless. If it did have problems we could have a good bottle run.

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
how do you know it had any of it? did you stop and talk to him?
As soon as we let out I rolled up and asked. He told me it had a maggie. I know it had exhaust because I could plainly see and hear it.

Originally Posted by redbird555
Anything can happen on the street maybe the guy started in a bad gear or a dead spot. I ran my buddy who has a lid/catback ss 6spd last night with my ls6 crate swap and mods in sig from a 45 roll which sucks for my auto and 3.42's he jumped 1.5 cars and stayed there till about 75 when I started to pull back. Now if we got an even start from 60 I have no doubt I'd lay waste to him being more hp and perfect auto shifts but hey its the street so nothings perfect, it still doesnt mean my car is slower than his. Just means he got the better race scenario. Get what I'm saying?
But I do agree a maggie ls6 should toast a z especially from a roll where the weight isnt as big of a factor. But I have to say caddys drivetrain must eat a lot of power because through a 6 speed an ls6 is around 350-360 hp stock going off of z06's and fbodys with ls6 swaps. Or was yours on a stingy dyno or something?
I agree. Before we ran I honked if off one time and he didn't go, I did though. My car took off in 4th and was a dog lol. If we woulda ran he woulda slaughtered me. The streets the equalizer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOIbbqGEcHI

The car spins from a 40 and 60 cause my tires are shot, wish I woulda my shot to make it a little bit more fair.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Good death, i have ran my friend's cts-v with a maggie a couple of time's and he trapped about 114 if i remember right and i trap 110.I beat him from a dig even before i had drag radial's,cai,sts and tune because he is afraid of breaking his diff, we have never ran from a roll . When you open his hood you can tell it has belt slip from the dust and he say's sometime's it feel's stronger, he has done some thing's to stop the belt slip but we haven't ran the car's since. OP where did this take place? My buddy's v is silver with similar mod's just curious.

Last edited by whatsnext; 06-05-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

I know anything can happen on the street, but going form a roll helps eliminate alot of bad driver traits. either way good kill.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Teching In

I have learn you will always get **** if you post a win that should not have happen. Good kill OP.......
Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

I could see it if the ctsv was on low boost with minimum supporting mods.. I put 4-5 cars on one with close to full bolt-ons weight kills them
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guys i appreciate the warm welcoming, but I lost haha. Liek I said in the first post. He got me by 1.5 cars from a roll with me on motor. I thought he shoulda ran out more!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP said he lost by 1.5 to 2 cars not the other way around... I don't think it was that close though! Id love to run stock for stock against one...
Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by automach1
I could see it if the ctsv was on low boost with minimum supporting mods.. I put 4-5 cars on one with close to full bolt-ons weight kills them
From a roll or a dig? Its the junk design rear end that kills the v's from a dig, you are either hopping, spinning like a **** or bogging or a combination of all 3. the v's really suck from a dig, but from a 2nd gear roll and up they sure can put up a fight. example. When i had my v with full boltons cam but stock port 243's, my friends catback 300c srt8 jumped out about 2 cars due to me spinning and then hopping a bit, He faught me off til about 90 from a dig. But from a 45 roll i walked him bad.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

From a roll or a dig? Its the junk design rear end that kills the v's from a dig, you are either hopping, spinning like a **** or bogging or a combination of all 3. the v's really suck from a dig, but from a 2nd gear roll and up they sure can put up a fight. example. When i had my v with full boltons cam but stock port 243's, my friends catback 300c srt8 jumped out about 2 cars due to me spinning and then hopping a bit, He faught me off til about 90 from a dig. But from a 45 roll i walked him bad.
low roll
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by automach1
low roll
mph? anything in 1st gear see same as what i posted about going from a dig.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

mph? anything in 1st gear see same as what i posted about going from a dig.
He actually did well from a dig and low rolls for the most part. It was a 20 a 2nd gear roll would have been about the same. He stuck with me for a split sec and feel back as the race went on. I have the dig we did on vid actually lol

not to steal a thread but here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p_tv...layer_embedded
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never really been impressed with maggied cts-v's. 115mph seems about right for a bolt on maggied V. Really gotta hit that 500rwhp mark for the cars to roll out pretty good up top.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry but i got to call b.s. on this. When i had my ls6 ctsv with just intake and catback exhaust pushing about 340ish to the wheels i started to pull away from a headers and intake a4 ls1 ta, a gen 5 v8 camaro ( dont know if it was auto or stick), and a 6.0 gto all from 60 to 135ish each bout about 2 cars. From a roll the ctsv's can move out,remember they all come with 3.73 rear gear and from a roll the crappy wheel hop is not an issue.
Bro, here's a stock LS6 V against a bolt-on 6.0 automatic GTO. Do you honestly think an intake and catback will make up the difference and have him start pulling? Mind you this was from 40mph which is the dreaded deadspot of all A4s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzWNdJhk5PQ
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=redtan;15005493]Bro, here's a stock LS6 V against a bolt-on 6.0 automatic GTO. Do you honestly think an intake and catback will make up the difference and have him start pulling? Mind you this was from 40mph which is the dreaded deadspot of all A4s...

My bad the t/a was modded and the 5gen camaro and gto were stock.