Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 Z28 vs SRT8 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01 Z28 vs SRT8 Charger

We did a few runs and personally i really thought i was gonna lose bad. My car is a full bolt on M6 01 Z28 and the SRT Charger had intake, exhaust and tune. We ran a couple of times on the highway starting at about 60mph i was in 3rd and went up to about 125-130mph for me. Seemed like the Charger would let out when i was in 5th for about 2 seconds because he would dramatically drop back and figured he let off. From about 60-125-130 seemed like i had 4-5 cars, hard to tell when your focusing on the road ahead, same result both times.

These races were not a three honk on the highway i doubt i would've heard it anyway since my exhaust is really loud. He would let me get a slight hit and he had it in gear meaning he didnt let the tranny downshift it. Seemed like to me he knew how to drive it really well even though it was an auto because as soon as i got the hit he was on it.

We also did a couple of runs on a backroad and me being in 2nd going all the way through 3rd was only able to pull 1 car. My 2nd is too short and shifting to 3rd just created to much spin on the road. In the end he was real cool stopped and chatted a bit and was a cool sport about everything. I have a ton of respect for those cars there look hella cool, fast and cant beat the 4 doors. We didnt do any dig races and respected the fact that i didnt want to trash my rear end plus he would've pulled me easy from a dig either way.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds right!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks SSmokin99.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

Nice kill! Yea from a dig those cars are quick for sure, I haven't had a chance to run one from a roll though. It seems like you handled the car no problem though. Next time let's see some vids!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks LS1rob00. He actually did record the races and he had his camera mounted but no go on getting them from him yet. I couldnt do any recording at all but would've been nice if i had a car follow us. I wanted my friend wth his G37 to come out with us for the runs but he was busy helping his cousin buy a C6Z06 so i dont blame him. I might get a run with that Z06 after i install my nitrous but that will be a loss for sure even with a 100 shot for sure.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds right to me too, very nice. Actually with the gears he did a little better than I would have thought. Trying to figure out the 4-5 cars at 125-130mph. I'm thinking that's when it shifts to 4th (1:1 ratio) at 120mph and you continue pulling.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I shift into 5th about 117-118mph so its close. Shifting into 5th for me is an issue for some reason and need to practice it more often. This race with the SRT i have to admit my shifting was fine and i did the best i could. No wheel spin on the highway at all for some reason this time. Being on the right road makes a huge difference with the crap tires i got.

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Sounds right to me too, very nice. Actually with the gears he did a little better than I would have thought. Trying to figure out the 4-5 cars at 125-130mph. I'm thinking that's when it shifts to 4th (1:1 ratio) at 120mph and you continue pulling.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

he might have been manually shifting it and hit the rev limiter. You know how adrenaline can get to you! I've done that enough times, trying to eke out every last rpm before the shift, only to either not shift in time, or the trans decides to take forever to acknowledge your "request".
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats definitly possible i do have to admit ive done that plenty of times myself. Your trying to concentrate on the road and shift at the same time looking at the car your going up against and being nervous doesnt help.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
he might have been manually shifting it and hit the rev limiter. You know how adrenaline can get to you! I've done that enough times, trying to eke out every last rpm before the shift, only to either not shift in time, or the trans decides to take forever to acknowledge your "request".
Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Thats definitly possible i do have to admit ive done that plenty of times myself. Your trying to concentrate on the road and shift at the same time looking at the car your going up against and being nervous doesnt help.
it's especially annoying when you have a cam'd car with a higher rev limit than stock and you can't get the damned ecu to acknowledge the higher shift points you are trying to put in so you HAVE TO manually shift it, ask me how I know!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

NIce kill. SRT8's are strong from a roll with some miner mods.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, ya they are fast from a roll and was expecting him to just pull on me. He did have bigger wheels so that probably slowed him down a bit as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by karpetcm
We did a few runs and personally i really thought i was gonna lose bad. My car is a full bolt on M6 01 Z28 and the SRT Charger had intake, exhaust and tune. We ran a couple of times on the highway starting at about 60mph i was in 3rd and went up to about 125-130mph for me. Seemed like the Charger would let out when i was in 5th for about 2 seconds because he would dramatically drop back and figured he let off. From about 60-125-130 seemed like i had 4-5 cars, hard to tell when your focusing on the road ahead, same result both times.

These races were not a three honk on the highway i doubt i would've heard it anyway since my exhaust is really loud. He would let me get a slight hit and he had it in gear meaning he didnt let the tranny downshift it. Seemed like to me he knew how to drive it really well even though it was an auto because as soon as i got the hit he was on it.

We also did a couple of runs on a backroad and me being in 2nd going all the way through 3rd was only able to pull 1 car. My 2nd is too short and shifting to 3rd just created to much spin on the road. In the end he was real cool stopped and chatted a bit and was a cool sport about everything. I have a ton of respect for those cars there look hella cool, fast and cant beat the 4 doors. We didnt do any dig races and respected the fact that i didnt want to trash my rear end plus he would've pulled me easy from a dig either way.
Nice Runs man! The reason I stayed at the gas station so long was my camera died the minute we started to leave so I had to unmount it off the window.

As for the highway runs I dont think we were able to get any real clean runs in thats why I dropped back so fast because I let out early those two cameras on the highway had me scared im not going to lie plus the traffic kept picking up. I wasn't intending on you getting the hit I was nodding for you to 3 honk or me so it would be an even start but its all good fun.

On the backroad it was alot closer because we did the 3 honk but with your mods I knew you would pull on me as speeds increased. it was real close run 1st through 3rd for me i think with your 4.10's you would be going into 5th around then?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im glad you came on, i wanted to leave that up to you if you wanted to chime in or not. Its cool about the vidz i figured if you didnt mention it something went wrong. I noticed when you dropped back, as soon as i got into 5th for a couple of seconds i can tell you immediatly fell back and i let out. Im glad we got a few runs in, you did really well on the streets and that thing is mean as hell. I have to admit when you were behind me before getting on the freeway i was like damn what did i get myself into, lol.

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
Nice Runs man! The reason I stayed at the gas station so long was my camera died the minute we started to leave so I had to unmount it off the window.

As for the highway runs I dont think we were able to get any real clean runs in thats why I dropped back so fast because I let out early those two cameras on the highway had me scared im not going to lie plus the traffic kept picking up. I wasn't intending on you getting the hit I was nodding for you to 3 honk or me so it would be an even start but its all good fun.

On the backroad it was alot closer because we did the 3 honk but with your mods I knew you would pull on me as speeds increased. it was real close run 1st through 3rd for me i think with your 4.10's you would be going into 5th around then?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

True but....virtually all SRT-8s have the transmission re-programmed to upshift automatically at redline. It was a TSB from years back and then standard from the factory iirc. Manually upshifting too early is another, although unlikely possibility.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

True but....virtually all SRT-8s have the transmission re-programmed to upshift automatically at redline. It was a TSB from years back and then standard from the factory iirc. Manually upshifting too early is another, although unlikely possibility.
umm, yeah, most transmissions upshift at redline. The stock redline. so are you telling me the dodges automatically adjust shift points to match a higher rev limiter setting? That's no where near as simple as it sounds, as it affects everything in the algorythems of the tune (part throttle shift points, downshift points, speed at which the trans will no longer downshift into a certain gear, etc.).
Old 06-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

umm, yeah, most transmissions upshift at redline. The stock redline. so are you telling me the dodges automatically adjust shift points to match a higher rev limiter setting? That's no where near as simple as it sounds, as it affects everything in the algorythems of the tune (part throttle shift points, downshift points, speed at which the trans will no longer downshift into a certain gear, etc.).
No, what the owners complained about years ago is when in the manual mode, the transmission would not upshift at redline unless prompted with the autostick. Since it's a slow response AND the tach didn't quite match up, it cause a lot of banging off the rev limiter. A big problem with consistency when going from a roll and the much needed technique of holding the gear manually.

Since the TSB from way back, now the driver can hold the gear, go WOT and never touch the autostick while it upshifts automatically.

The canned and dyno tunes don't alter the shift points and very few owners would raise the redline above the factory (iirc) 6200rpm.

Therefore it's very unlikely the OP was having that issue. The SRT-8s are quickest when left to shift automatically so an early upshift was unlikely, but possible only if manually selected.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So this was you nite? Good kill OP. Chargers are slow anyway. Lol jk nite, I had fun running your car when u and I were stock. Idk how u would do after my build though.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After doing some research im really liking the charger's especially the new one that will come out with the 6.4 and better tranny. Cant knock it, 4 doors, comfortable and fast. Dodge is really doing a good job with some of there new designes, chrysler as well. Cant wait to see the Jeep SRT in person either.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Great race you guys and you are are both good sports! That is what it should all be about.

I have always been a MOPAR fan. I had a 69 Superbee and a 70 RoadRunner. I am glad Chrysler has been able to get it together again and make some really nice and powerful cars again just like in the old days of the 426 HEMI.

BTW...the back of the new Chargers looks really badass.