Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big hammer
you should hear it now with straight pipes. dear lord it's loud. sounds pretty good, but ******* loud.
My friend has flowmasters on his LT1 Impala, and the **** is LOUD AS ****. I can't imagine straight pipes.

Originally Posted by Sickness7
What is with this front page crap putting people down about swapping engines into different platforms.. I am sure most of them worked hard to do what they did and plastered on the front page as a joke?
I never look at the front page of this site, but if thats the case, thats pretty ****** gay. Especially considering the amount of swaps that involve LS engines no less.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On another note I saw something about MAC having a set of ws6 wheels for sale. If he sees this. Keep em for a few months I need a set for daily tires next summer. LOL
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

On another note I saw something about MAC having a set of ws6 wheels for sale. If he sees this. Keep em for a few months I need a set for daily tires next summer. LOL
Ok lol another guy asked about them but idk if thats gonna pan out $300 and they are yours
Thats how much i charged the other guy.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I have been trying to find a spare set of rims local but I am in no rush. I don't need them till next summer the car is pretty much parked because I am to much of a ***** to drive it on our pot hole riddled streets this year. Id say sell them to him because I wouldn't be coming around until I made a road trip down there and I am not sure when that would be.

Also I thought about this while out today.. hammer or someone he knows might have 4th gen rims lol.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Mine are 4th gen as well. Plus if your gonna drive in a pot hole infested roads then id say buy mine. One is bad but i got them that way so just tryn to get as much as i can lol
Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Axle swap was easier than I expected. It was pretty much exactly how you described, hammer.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Axle swap was easier than I expected. It was pretty much exactly how you described, hammer.
I only saw a pic of your car. One day when everything is worked out with your car, you should get a short vid...maybe even a run against an LS1. That would be a good thread to read especially if you beat it.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

right on. i'm glad it went well for you.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

i agree that Sean needs to get some vids of that hotrod running around.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

V-rod, or 1200 sportster?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Mustang fans i got a serious question, can you put 4v heads on a 2v or 3v engine?
there are a long list of things that interchange like timing chains, timing chain guides, tensioners, heads, etc.

it is not as simple as swapping for effective power. all of the pistons have different dish cc's. 4v is effectively 2-4 cc flattops depending on year.

2v had two different cc's 1996-1998 have smaller dish so PI swapping heads increases compression ratio.

swapping 4v heads directly drops the ratio to about 8.3:1.

4v alternators are a little different than 2v/3v. fitment is different. heads are larger.

Windsor and romeo engines are different. blocks are same. parts are different.

4v blocks are clearance for full counter weighted forged cranks. 03-04 4v cobra block is simply a clearance iron 2v block. all aluminum blocks will take a forged crank even if they didn't have one stock. ie Lincoln mark8 blocks.

on and on.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by assasinator

there are a long list of things that interchange like timing chains, timing chain guides, tensioners, heads, etc.

it is not as simple as swapping for effective power. all of the pistons have different dish cc's. 4v is effectively 2-4 cc flattops depending on year.

2v had two different cc's 1996-1998 have smaller dish so PI swapping heads increases compression ratio.

swapping 4v heads directly drops the ratio to about 8.3:1.

4v alternators are a little different than 2v/3v. fitment is different. heads are larger.

Windsor and romeo engines are different. blocks are same. parts are different.

4v blocks are clearance for full counter weighted forged cranks. 03-04 4v cobra block is simply a clearance iron 2v block. all aluminum blocks will take a forged crank even if they didn't have one stock. ie Lincoln mark8 blocks.

on and on.
Good info i was just wondering is all i keep driving past a 3v mustang. it's starting to kinda grow on me but if its that much of an hassle i aint gonna bother. Might as well do an engine swap.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
i agree that Sean needs to get some vids of that hotrod running around.
I can have a vid taken tomorrow of it running and ****, I'll get the ol' lady to record...I've been cruising around the last week like a creep trying to bait some people into racing but I've only been able to get pick-up trucks to bite, lol.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:23 AM
***Repost Police***

I can have a vid taken tomorrow of it running and ****, I'll get the ol' lady to record...I've been cruising around the last week like a creep trying to bait some people into racing but I've only been able to get pick-up trucks to bite, lol.
I still plan on doing something similar to what you're doing, but with a '96-'98 GT/PI swap sometime in the near future. Pick up a clean-ish car, doing the H/C/I swap, intake and full exhaust, 4.10s, and a good tune... ~285rwhp in that car would surprise a lot of people, and it would be incredibly cheap.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I still plan on doing something similar to what you're doing, but with a '96-'98 GT/PI swap sometime in the near future. Pick up a clean-ish car, doing the H/C/I swap, intake and full exhaust, 4.10s, and a good tune... ~285rwhp in that car would surprise a lot of people, and it would be incredibly cheap.
Yes, for sure. Building this car has been one of the most satisfying experiences of my life. A lot of people around here don't even know my car is a Mustang but putting it together yourself is a fantastic feeling. You could assemble a surprisingly quick car for cheap, definitely. There's a few things I would do differently but that's how it always goes.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:35 AM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, even with the PI cams/intake I had on my old '98 I surprised quite a few people. Not the least of which were my Foxbody friends.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Banned

Glade you changed it in for vid man.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I used to do that. Aim for the Infinitis. They tend to like to bite also.

Yes, for sure. Building this car has been one of the most satisfying experiences of my life. A lot of people around here don't even know my car is a Mustang but putting it together yourself is a fantastic feeling. You could assemble a surprisingly quick car for cheap, definitely. There's a few things I would do differently but that's how it always goes.
Truth on both those sentences. Nothing quite like getting your own hands dirty, IMO. If I was to go at it to make a track car, my goal would be a fox with an LQ swap, or a gutted out F-body with boltons.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by odthetruth
If I was to go at it to make a track car...a gutted out F-body with boltons.

and very much on the cheap. If I added it all up I'm under 5k including buying the car

Last edited by ZFreie; 08-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I have been trying to find a spare set of rims local but I am in no rush. I don't need them till next summer the car is pretty much parked because I am to much of a ***** to drive it on our pot hole riddled streets this year. Id say sell them to him because I wouldn't be coming around until I made a road trip down there and I am not sure when that would be.

Also I thought about this while out today.. hammer or someone he knows might have 4th gen rims lol.
I have my stock rims but I'm keeping all my stock stuff for this car.

Quick Reply: Odarabla's infinite BS thread for the foreskinned (AKA Smack Down)