Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cammed LS2 GTO vs. 11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poolshark1321
OK mr 0 post... doesnt know **** or have anything constructive to add, shitstang nut swinger. come back when you have some solid data to back up your nonsense...
Here is some solid data my mach made 298/298 and traped 112 at ~3500lbs so much for fords crappy power bands must be all that peak power Don't forget when the ls2 stops making power the 5.0 is still making it
Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Peak power is not what always wins... its under the curve that really counts in a race because your at peak power for on a split second before shifting again and being under the curve 90% of the time. Thats why doing a cam just for peak power gains isn't always the best approach. Have to use the dyno as a tool to put the power where your want it/are going to use it. In the goat everytime you **** it puts your RPMs around 4k and go back up to 6800/7000. Except obviously in first gear on a dig...

Most people raise the rev limiter to 7000 or at least 6800 on the Goats when they tune it. Makes our shift points line up perfect except going into 4th-5th where you want to short shift it just a tad around 6600ish.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334833

Guess my last sentence in that previous post should have been more like this... (10-20 more hp needed to be equal on peak power) a LS2 GTO can keep up with a stock 5.0. Stock for stock I would definitely give the advantage to the new 5.0 no question. They are very closely matched cars with competent drivers, equal conditions etc. Both car needs mods to put the other one down consistently. Then again I guess thats the name of the game... who has the bigger wallet $$$$. Going to be interesting to see some heavily modded 5.0s running heavily modded LS strokers in the future.

Better? I think using "edge over the 5.0" definitely wasnt the right words for what I was trying to convey. Just that there are many other factors that play a roll in the outcome of a race.

Originally Posted by d98gt
If you were referring to my blue GT at RPR; I didn't have a CAI
Noted, thx... tune is the biggest factor on the new 5.0s. They are definitely held back a good amount from the factory... as with most cars now days. Looking forward to this winter @ HRP?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Peak power is not what always wins... its under the curve that really counts in a race because your at peak power for on a split second before shifting again and being under the curve 90% of the time. Thats why doing a cam just for peak power gains isn't always the best approach. Have to use the dyno as a tool to put the power where your want it/are going to use it. In the goat everytime you **** it puts your RPMs around 4k and go back up to 6800/7000. Except obviously in first gear on a dig...
I launch at 4500-5k. Rev to 7600 and when shift never fall below 5700. Always in my powerband.

Also why would a car that ran XXX in texas be XXX some where else. There is faster tracks around also slower ones as well. Same time in PA would most likely be faster. or hell Atco/cecil..
Old 07-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Houston Raceway Park is arguably one of the fastest track in the US on the right day... and the days I am talking about... was one of those good days in the winter. Humidity could have been a little better... but still a superb day.

I also launch at 4.5k... perfect range, and just keep the rpms in the sweet spot so when she hooks you can book... no bogging.

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Also why would a car that ran XXX in texas be XXX some where else. There is faster tracks around also slower ones as well. Same time in PA would most likely be faster. or hell Atco/cecil..
Not sure what you meant by this... I was just stating what I have seen in person, didnt say anything about it being faster or slower on another track... I just said on a normal day at the same track (HRP) when the DA wasnt so low... and temp wasnt so low that he wouldnt be running 11.8s... closer to low 12s. There are plenty of people in new 5.0s that arent hitting those superb numbers cause they arent expert drivers. It takes some skill to squeeze out fast passes that everyone is saying they are capable of. Sure there are people doing it... but there are way more out there failing... and not running those crazy times that might be possible.

Just like when the goats first came out... everyone bitched and bitched about wheel hop issues... most were driving them to a BS 14flat or worse... sometimes mid 13s. The good drivers were hitting 13 flats or high 12s... stock... mid 12s with DRs or slicks. There are plenty of people in GTOs hitting consistant low 12s or high 11s with DRs/Slicks, boltons and a tune. Of course great conditions... just like the conditions people are hitting good times in the new 5.0s and thats what people need to understand... to run these times that are being posted as the "norm" for new 5.0s you need all the stars to line up.

Last edited by Poolshark1321; 07-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

you should come to SAR saturday for midnight madness
Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Not doing a whole lot of anything til I have my business setup and have my next goat. Hydroplaned/totaled mine back late Jan... bought it back, been parting it out slowly... while juggling the whole working for myself/setting business up.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Not doing a whole lot of anything til I have my business setup and have my next goat. Hydroplaned/totaled mine back late Jan... bought it back, been parting it out slowly... while juggling the whole working for myself/setting business up.
Ahh ok...
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah it sucks not having a car... but I am learning a ton from parting the Goat out and also going to have some extra $$$ left over afterwards to invest in a flow bench and other business supplies. So theres definitely a light at the end of the tunnel... its just a waiting game. I remind myself all the time that each day is one more day closer to another goat and a successful business. Gotta stay positive... keep working!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice kill
Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most people raise the rev limiter to 7000 or at least 6800 on the Goats when they tune it. Makes our shift points line up perfect except going into 4th-5th where you want to short shift it just a tad around 6600ish.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334833

Guess my last sentence in that previous post should have been more like this... (10-20 more hp needed to be equal on peak power) a LS2 GTO can keep up with a stock 5.0. Stock for stock I would definitely give the advantage to the new 5.0 no question. They are very closely matched cars with competent drivers, equal conditions etc. Both car needs mods to put the other one down consistently. Then again I guess thats the name of the game... who has the bigger wallet $$$$. Going to be interesting to see some heavily modded 5.0s running heavily modded LS strokers in the future.

Better? I think using "edge over the 5.0" definitely wasnt the right words for what I was trying to convey. Just that there are many other factors that play a roll in the outcome of a race.

Noted, thx... tune is the biggest factor on the new 5.0s. They are definitely held back a good amount from the factory... as with most cars now days. Looking forward to this winter @ HRP?

Quick Reply: Cammed LS2 GTO vs. 11 5.0