Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LSX SUPERCHARGED CORVETTE vs. BOOSTED TALON AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry manual guys, but these stick drivers never know what hits em when my a4 flashes rpms better than their sticks :x
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigAlex
Sorry manual guys, but these stick drivers never know what hits em when my a4 flashes rpms better than their sticks :x
But they'll be having soooooo much more fun

I've owned manual cars before, hell this is my first "real" auto(you know stall+any kind of power) and the "manuals are sooo much more fun" line pisses me the **** off. That's your opinion, honestly I couldn't give 2 ***** what trans it is now. I haven't had any less fun with the stalled auto than I had with my manual cars.

Now what trips me out is so many people say that, including people who I know IRL but if you ever ask them to explain why it's funner the most they can come up with is "cause um, you know, um, you can pick your own gears and ****." Very strong argument my friend.

I actually prefer my DDs to be manuals for that gas mileage, especially around the city I don't think I can drive a stock stall/no power car for long again. The problem is that people will compare a stock auto Corolla to some 450 whp C5Z and say "you see that's why autos suck no skill no fun no nothing."
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

people who say autos arent fun obviously have never driven a stalled auto before
Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Teching In

You dont see automatic cars road racing
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

ur right u never see gt-r's, m3's (most of which are smg's), etc......
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie

Nice thing on a evo is brake boosting. Not so sure that would work on the vette
Brake boosting with a centrifugal blower huh? Go somewhere else...or just read and learn.

Great race guys! Badass rides for sure! Be careful out there though.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The whole "manual is more fun to drive then an auto" thing is nothing but personal preference. I have a 6 speed Vette and I would not swap to an auto the way my car is now. But for a close friend of mine, he went from a 500+hp 2000 T/A with a built auto and stalled, to a 600hp manual C6 Vette. He finds the old stalled auto T/A more fun to drive then the 6 speed C6. He really likes the manual C6, but he says there's nothing like a stalled built auto with plenty of power backing it up. I know exactly where he's coming from, because that stalled T/A of his was fun as hell for an auto. I helped him swap out the convertor and trans on that T/A, and after that the fun-to-drive factor went up, way up.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
ur right u never see gt-r's, m3's (most of which are smg's), etc......
Yeah thats a little different the stalled 4L60E
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Yeah thats a little different the stalled 4L60E
u should of been more specific
Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the auto vs. manual trans commentary, I think certain (inexperienced) folks in this thread don't understand the problems or the expenses that come with a very high horsepower car that has a manual trans...not to mention that people actually like to win races (i.e. automatic). It's a different story if you're talking about a Liberty, but there aren't many guys out there that can dial in a Liberty enough to outrun an automatic.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Vette specs mmmkay?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people who say autos arent fun obviously have never driven a stalled auto before
My chevelle had a 3000 holeshot converter and built th-350, so am familiar with properly setup autos, but still prefer a manual and why I got rid of that transmission. Don't be too generalized...

I also don't have or want a 1/4 mile car to "win money" (a 'vette is probably one of the worst chassis setups (IRS, no real frame to speak of) for that anyway if that's your goal; a properly set-up 'velle, g-body, f-body, mustang or most any AWD would be far superior in that area...It goes well beyond just "horsepower" and a properly built suspension and dialed in chassis/tires/gearing makes the difference...), as those days are long gone (doing stupid chit on the street) and the penalty for that far outweighs any "fun" a 'built' auto with an insane stall speed and rock hard, solid shifting provides for a few seconds. Don't think a 4,000+ rpm stall converter would be very tractable and would become a headache day to day and add a lock-up converter and then you also need to address that and talk about $$$...Be like having a front and rear detroit locker on a 4wd rig. Sure, it's aweseome on the trail, but have fun driving that around day to day. Like offroading, spend 98% of the time just going point a to b and a purpose built rig/car belongs on a trailer until you get where you're going. Or, at least becomes a limited-use vehicle and that just loses it's luster to me.

I haven't, nor am I bashing the 'vette guy for choosing an automatic, but simply stating that in the real world, a stick provides far more smiles day to day than any automatic and yes, I've had both, been around and know what I like and desire. I honestly doubt a majority of people (especially the 'talkers') really understand the manual and its operation or know how to properly drive a manual transmission with a real clutch...Then again, doubt those same folks really know or understand an automatic besides what they read as hearsay. The internet is a breeding ground for that crap and it's easy to distinguish those that know and those that just pass on the info (most of the time incorrectly) or do google searches. Not saying that to rile anybody up, but just what I've witnessed the past 15 years or so on the 'net and 24 years or so being "around" the car scene. It has only gotten worse.

If somebody else wants something different, good for them, but don't go around bashing on other people (being general here, not to you that I quoted) and saying they don't know what they're talking about; sounds silly and ignorant.

Just because somebody doesn't choose to own something, doesn't mean they either haven't been there, or know all about the pitfalls associated with such equipment.

Last edited by JNR_Design; 07-04-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

agree to disagree but coming from a manual to my stalled auto its way more fun to drive. too each their own but the other guy seemed like he was saying all u do is just floor an auto nothing else.....a 1000hp vette isnt a 100hp honda u cant just do that lol
Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I under stand that 1000hp is insane to handle in any form. I'm saying over and over that I personally wouldn't have made it an automatic. And if that meant not making it 1000 hp I wouldn't.

Pure personal preference. I just appreciate more than just straight line performance. And I don't see a stalled auto 1000 hp vette doing much more than that. Given it does that straight line in a insane manner of speed
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agree to disagree but coming from a manual to my stalled auto its way more fun to drive. too each their own but the other guy seemed like he was saying all u do is just floor an auto nothing else.....a 1000hp vette isnt a 100hp honda u cant just do that lol
Yeah, for sure on the autos...They can be cool, too, when properly built and wasn't trying to say that they couldn't or aren't. Just the majority of time, they too become a headache/pita (they can), but guess so could a heavy duty clutch and additional clunks you can get from the increased lash (from it being so hard on the u-joints for instance).

I would agree it goes beyond "just flooring it" and when you get into that sort of power, nothing is "easy" and takes a helluva lot of concentration (least it should)!

Funny side note, is I remember when it was really difficult (almost impossible) to find manuals in performance cars. The oems really forced us to have autos on any of the performance cars and penalized us with crappy tall rear ratios, even after making OD's commonplace. One cool thing about the "5.0's" is you could get a 5-speed, but were also limited to 2.73 or 3.23 (maybe, it's been awhile). To get any optional 3.42, you were forced to go auto (not mustang, other cars). On top of that, you were lucky to get 1800 rpm stall speed out of the converter, lol. Nice thing was (pre lockup) it wasn't too hard to to put a shift kit in (valve body mod) or a higher stall, adjustable vacuum modulator (for shift points0 and if you put Type F in a Th-350/400, it would also help firm the shifts (basically what B&M trick shift was). There wasn't a whole lot you could do with the 200R4's and 700R4's, unless you had $$$ and now we have so many other options.

Unfortunately for me, I may have to go back to an auto on my next vehicle (4x4), as a manual is not offered with the V8 It would be so awesome to convert to T-56 (have one here already), but once you start adding transfer case to the equation and a vehicle that was ultra rare to have a manual even with the smaller engine (for pedals, starter, flywheel, etc.), well, it almost becomes not worth it.

I will also say that if you do prefer or are forced with an auto, waking it up with a reasonable higher stall and firming up the shifts/adjusting shift points makes it a heck of a lot more fun and enjoyable. Just don't go overboard, cause man when it does the 1-2 shift in traffic, well
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

First things first: Awesome video! Love the different views. Both cars are badass.. and people that say the Vette should have caught up sooner, a brake boosted turbo car with the hit is a BIG jump, and when the Vette came around it had a huge mph gap over the Talon. Still very impressive cars.

Second: You "manuals are better than autos" guys are idiots. Go to the auto/manual forum. "Enjoying the feel of your car" is great, and I love manuals as well, but they're best left to a heads/cam cruiser. There simply isn't a traditional manual trans that can hold the power that car is making, and last for long highway pulls like that. Go read a little before you make some ignorant comments about all you know, in your 350whp car.

And anyone that says autos are boring to drive has never driven a high hp stalled car, especially a boosted car..
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sick *** Vette!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Great race, and I thought that looked like Prods car... That **** moves out! And Will if you unleash the the Beast then I have to witness this! Please IM me on FB.. Is that vette on DR?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Owe, and autos suck!!!!!

Unless I own one! I get car envie...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Its all good bro... I think we all understand what your saying. I think it was just lost in the initial wording of the first few posts that you had... Im the same way and prefer a manual all day long... Everyone will chill and get back to what this thread was focusing on.. An insane *** fast Vette that I would pay $20.00 to ride in!!!!

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
I under stand that 1000hp is insane to handle in any form. I'm saying over and over that I personally wouldn't have made it an automatic. And if that meant not making it 1000 hp I wouldn't.

Pure personal preference. I just appreciate more than just straight line performance. And I don't see a stalled auto 1000 hp vette doing much more than that. Given it does that straight line in a insane manner of speed