Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What have you done to your car recently?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Be careful with they're products... I have totaled two vettes with SPEC products that failed in them..another of which that is a mutual friends. Just saying... then, to boot, the company lies, and is full of ****.

True story-
I've had bad luck with SPEC clutches, and yes they lied. But never a flywheel. What is your experience?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

This weekend I'm taking the tbss in to have a 408 installed. When I pick it up I'm dropping the stang off to have a few odds and ends done and finish having my hotside piping installed.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I've had bad luck with SPEC clutches, and yes they lied. But never a flywheel. What is your experience?
Two experiences... my car, and a close friends. Plus another Z06 that happened two weeks after. Only carnage I have,..is of mine.

Gone...

This car got totaled as well...

When my "issue" popped up on the net on another forum...SPEC came on, "Jeremy" specifically, came on and said my car was involved in Katrina flood. I live on the east coast of florida... not Louisiana... but, long story. **** them, **** they're products. Cost me lots of money, time, plus my friends...and nearly cost us our legs.

Again, **** spec. **** they're flywheels, **** they're clutch assemblies, **** they're mothers.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 455 Likes on 358 Posts

^^^^This is another reason why I did my little clutch.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Two experiences... my car, and a close friends. Plus another Z06 that happened two weeks after. Only carnage I have,..is of mine.

Gone...

This car got totaled as well...

When my "issue" popped up on the net on another forum...SPEC came on, "Jeremy" specifically, came on and said my car was involved in Katrina flood. I live on the east coast of florida... not Louisiana... but, long story. **** them, **** they're products. Cost me lots of money, time, plus my friends...and nearly cost us our legs.

Again, **** spec. **** they're flywheels, **** they're clutch assemblies, **** they're mothers.
This is why I have no respect for companies who don't take responsibility of their (failed) products.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man...you guys got me worried now...
Just put in SPEC II Clutch and SPEC Aluminum Flywheel with new Ford Racing throw-out bearing...
Still in break-in period with only 50 miles on it...Very little chatter at this time and it feels strong....just a little chatter when it first engages but supposedly, that will go away with some miles...From what I understand, the break-in period is critical. Keeping it under 3500 rpms for 500 - 800 miles will allow the clutch and flywheel to wear in properly.

I am crossing my fingers now when I bring it to the track..
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Man...you guys got me worried now...
Just put in SPEC II Clutch and SPEC Aluminum Flywheel with new Ford Racing throw-out bearing...
Still in break-in period with only 50 miles on it...Very little chatter at this time and it feels strong....just a little chatter when it first engages but supposedly, that will go away with some miles...From what I understand, the break-in period is critical. Keeping it under 3500 rpms for 500 - 800 miles will allow the clutch and flywheel to wear in properly.

I am crossing my fingers now when I bring it to the track..

Want an honest recommendation?

Buy an SFI approved bellhousing,....or at the very least, a kevlar blanket....

If my clutch would have failed in any other car the a vette,...I may have lost a leg/foot/whatever. I had two major impact points that were stopped by the center frame portion in my tunnel area. This is FRAME material,...for the car, and it was pushed in 3-4 inches on either side.... If it was not for this metal framing,..again, I may have lost something.

F-bodies don't have that, V's don't have that....Mustangs don't have that.

Any hardcore shifting dude, needs an SFI bellhousing.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Want an honest recommendation?

Buy an SFI approved bellhousing,....or at the very least, a kevlar blanket....

If my clutch would have failed in any other car the a vette,...I may have lost a leg/foot/whatever. I had two major impact points that were stopped by the center frame portion in my tunnel area. This is FRAME material,...for the car, and it was pushed in 3-4 inches on either side.... If it was not for this metal framing,..again, I may have lost something.

F-bodies don't have that, V's don't have that....Mustangs don't have that.

Any hardcore shifting dude, needs an SFI bellhousing.
Good advice...I will ask my local Mustang shop about this. When I asked about a good clutch/flywheel to install, they did not hesitate to recommend a SPEC. They only had good things to say..
May I ask if you were racing your car at the time of the failure (Street or Strip) or were you just cruising around...Could you tell what actually failed from all that carnage?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm not a fan of Spec clutches; they have too much static pressure and if you are making any kind of power, they will find the weak link in your drive line.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes... I've hears bad things about spec recently as well. My last spec clutch decided that parts were going to fall off of it lol I got a discount on one of the "new" SPEC 3's that supposedly had all the bugs worked out. So far, so good, but just for peace of mind i invested in a shatter proof bell housing.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not my car but a project I am doing with my brother. Pulled engine and trans from a totaled 00 Z/28. A two post lift makes this a lot easier. Got it cleaned up and tomorrow we are installing it in his 68 327 RS Camaro...

Last edited by Blown383LS1; 04-12-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

bought some mobil 1 nd filter to swap it out tommorw
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

So what was the failure from!?!?!

The clutch or the flywheel? I'm guessing the clutch. Which 2 out of my 4 Spec clutches were crap. My Mach will sport a RAM clutch btw...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

No photos but spohn adjustable tunnel mount torque arm and spohn lca. Need panhard bar now
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

I had a spec stage 3 in my MS3 a couple years back and that clutch failed a month after purchasing it and bringing it to the strip. I switched to an Exedy and I was good to go afterwards.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah spec in the import world is ****.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

I have witnessed first hand a Spec clutch explode and destroy a motor, trans, wiring harness, brake lines and fuel lines on a 408/sprayed GTO. I've heard nothing but bad about Spec for LS motors. I'm running a Spec Stage 2+ in my car and have had zero issues for 13k miles (knock on wood).

Anyway, this is what I have recently done...
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Turbo2vGT
I have witnessed first hand a Spec clutch explode and destroy a motor, trans, wiring harness, brake lines and fuel lines on a 408/sprayed GTO. I've heard nothing but bad about Spec for LS motors. I'm running a Spec Stage 2+ in my car and have had zero issues for 13k miles (knock on wood).

Anyway, this is what I have recently done...
That is good to hear, man....even if just one person has had zero issues with a SPEC clutch, it makes me feel a little better..loll
Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Good advice...I will ask my local Mustang shop about this. When I asked about a good clutch/flywheel to install, they did not hesitate to recommend a SPEC. They only had good things to say..
May I ask if you were racing your car at the time of the failure (Street or Strip) or were you just cruising around...Could you tell what actually failed from all that carnage?
Buy one, demand they install it.

I have no public statement for how/why it came apart for more reasons that I could care to think about. Lets just say that the device was being used well within manufacture recommended uses/guidelines. Well within. It was not between shifts...i'll say that. One thing I will say,..is that it was like an IED went off. Felt like the car came off the ground.

My good friend, in his C6,..had his spec explode via pressure plate coming apart(like mine)... he was @ WOT @ about 6k rpm. ROughly 100mph. Car caught fire... cost the kid his car, lots of money....and the inability to get back into something like that again due to the cost of the build...etc etc.

ANyways,...get a proper bellhousing. Here is what I installed yesterday...

Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

...oh yea..my textralia exoskel triple disc...42lbs. My new Tilton quad carbon clutch....with modded flywheel for more weight and balanced...17.5lbs. WOO.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your car recently?