Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
but serious question here guy's...so if i went with a turbo making the same PSI as my procharger does now..you saying i WILL pick up 15-20% HP ??...that somewhat seems worth switching over..but if i end up getting a measly 10 more RWHP out of the whole deal..i will be pissed lol...i mean free hp is free hp..but a small pick up in HP is'nt gona be worth the pain and aggrivation of selling my current S/C kit..finding a suitable streetable Turbo kit ..istalling it and redynoing and all that what not stuff...the gain will need to be SIGNIFIGANT!! for me to actually go throgh with it
a supercharger cam is not necessarily a good thing for a turbo motor. low overlap is critical to minimizing reversion.

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I always thought a twin turbo setup properly would put a thumping on a sc'd setup? I never really got into the science behind it but that's just the way it seems. I'm interested in this topic now too.

a single will also. twins have the advantage in efficiency IF the single is not matched well. if a big single lb/min matches the motor, they are the same. now is its a 570 inch big block or a small inch 2300hp mill, it need twins to get enough flow.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
Yeah, and IF the Mustang had the same cubic inch the SS does; the Mustang would still be faster at the same weight.
to answer your quesion there..GM has a 500+hp LS7 naturally aspirated..to the best of my knowledge Ford has made (i beleive) 444hp with the 5.0 in the new Boss ...cubic inches aside ..Ford has no 500+hp N/A engine ...only 550 5.4 L SUEPRCHARGED engines..i DO believe Ford IS good at making decent HP with less displacement..but alot of times that can hinder overall performace gains once modding has been done..what i'm getting at is take both new engines..the LS3 and the Coyote 5.0..cam them, boost them, exhaust ect...there should be a signifigant HP diffrence between the 2...it's less about GM vs Ford and more about physics here
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

to answer your quesion there..GM has a 500+hp LS7 naturally aspirated..to the best of my knowledge Ford has made (i beleive) 444hp with the 5.0 in the new Boss ...cubic inches aside ..Ford has no 500+hp N/A engine ...only 550 5.4 L SUEPRCHARGED engines..i DO believe Ford IS good at making decent HP with less displacement..but alot of times that can hinder overall performace gains once modding has been done..what i'm getting at is take both new engines..the LS3 and the Coyote 5.0..cam them, boost them, exhaust ect...there should be a signifigant HP diffrence between the 2...it's less about GM vs Ford and more about physics here
GM has a 550hp supercharger 6.2L in the CTS-V and the new ZL1???

Ford has a n/a engine that makes over 500hp..
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11831
and another
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11892
and one that makes over 600hp
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10355

Also so far the SC 5.0 are killing the SC SS at the track.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

I was being sarcastic and was showing how much of a ricer statement it was...who knew that you would be all over it
Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think deep down you are a guy that is easy to get along with and I think you are an all around performance guy, not a fan boy. But you do go about it at the wrong way IMO
Old 07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
GM has a 550hp supercharger 6.2L in the CTS-V and the new ZL1???

Ford has a n/a engine that makes over 500hp..
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11831
and another
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11892
and one that makes over 600hp
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10355

Also so far the SC 5.0 are killing the SC SS at the track.
The GM 572 makes 720hp.
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...8827&engCat=bb
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

gm's new lsx 454 race engine (they have a version now rated at 720+) makes more power than the 572r. But why does anyone bring up that old bigblock crap...... Is that all you have to grasp for in the n/a world ford fanboys? Someone on here just put the street 454lsx in a holden in aus. It made like 613rwhp......not bad and have a warrenty.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
gm's new lsx 454 race engine (they have a version now rated at 720+) makes more power than the 572r. But why does anyone bring up that old bigblock crap...... Is that all you have to grasp for in the n/a world ford fanboys? Someone on here just put the street 454lsx in a holden in aus. It made like 613rwhp......not bad and have a warrenty.
P/N 19257880...? Why isn't that pictured on their website, I wonder. By the way, it's rated at 750+hp and 680+tq and it does not come with a warranty. Nor does the ZZ572R(or other R engines I've seen listed).

I'm sure there's no warranty on Fords 535hp 427W either. Too bad for Ford, it doesn't come with excellent cylinder heads either(compared to others available on the market), which could bump the power by another 30-50 with little difficulty. Does Ford still offer a 600ci bigblock? I don't think so. Maybe they never did and guys like John Kaase did all that instead. Their 521ci version is around 600hp, but to me, that's a waste of money.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I think deep down you are a guy that is easy to get along with and I think you are an all around performance guy, not a fan boy. But you do go about it at the wrong way IMO
I a lil bit of a fan boy honestly, but i do give respect to other brands when it's due..Ford has done good **** in the automotive and performce world..the new 5.0 is a more impressive engine from the factory than my LS1 (putting aside i can make more RWHP with a simple cam swap than a 5.0 LOL....no denying cars like the Termi Cobra's and GT500's with simple mods are pure powerhouses..the new Boss is just WOW..i used to symbolize mustangs to a girls car,..no power making small CI V8's...but that has all changed now...i have owned Fords and mustangs before and thought them inferior..but if Ford keeps this up then i may honestly switch over to a mustang later down the road...GM however knows how to give muscle car owners what they want..big CI V8's and i respect them for that..i want to see what the ZL1 has to offer..if the Boss and GT500 destroy it i will probally write GM a letter saying.."thanks for all the years and good times..it's been fun"..the company who gives their buyers more of what they want will be the best..that company will earn my bussiness later down the road..wether it's GM still..or the ( dare i say it?) Ford
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

I a lil bit of a fan boy honestly, but i do give respect to other brands when it's due..Ford has done good **** in the automotive and performce world..the new 5.0 is a more impressive engine from the factory than my LS1 (putting aside i can make more RWHP with a simple cam swap than a 5.0 LOL....
Seriously? A cam swap, without additional parts, is going to net you 40+rwhp? Wish that had that chit when the LS1 was in production! Not like it would matter, of course... You'd fight traction loss forever... Still, a 375+rwhp 4th gen with only 1 mod which isn't nitrous or forced induction... Stellar.

It hardly matters to be, but you don't have a bit of fanboy... You've got a bunch!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
P/N 19257880...? Why isn't that pictured on their website, I wonder. By the way, it's rated at 750+hp and 680+tq and it does not come with a warranty. Nor does the ZZ572R(or other R engines I've seen listed).

I'm sure there's no warranty on Fords 535hp 427W either. Too bad for Ford, it doesn't come with excellent cylinder heads either(compared to others available on the market), which could bump the power by another 30-50 with little difficulty. Does Ford still offer a 600ci bigblock? I don't think so. Maybe they never did and guys like John Kaase did all that instead. Their 521ci version is around 600hp, but to me, that's a waste of money.
Yes there "R" motors have no warrenty, the pumpgas counter part of those motors do according to the rep at GM Carslile.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Seriously? A cam swap, without additional parts, is going to net you 40+rwhp? Wish that had that chit when the LS1 was in production! Not like it would matter, of course... You'd fight traction loss forever... Still, a 375+rwhp 4th gen with only 1 mod which isn't nitrous or forced induction... Stellar.

It hardly matters to be, but you don't have a bit of fanboy... You've got a bunch!
ok, you got me : ) ..maybe i was exagerating a lil with the cam swap only thing,..but it IS common on LS1' to make 400+ RWHP with ONLY a lid, headers, tune and a big cam such as the MS3 or MS4 or hell really any of the larger Texas Speed cams....i will argue till the day that i die that the LS1 powered F bodies are STILL BY FAR your best bang for you buck when it comes to a cheap performance car..the only car that i beleive can maybe rival that tital is the Fox body 5.0's..you have a weight advantage with a slightly cheaper price in general.vs the heavier and on average a lil more expensive LS1 F body..yet with a huge power diffrence (215 flywheel HP vs 350 flywheel hp lol)..i have OWNED both of so said cars..the one i have now wins in my opinion..but hard to go wrong choosing either one of those cars

just thought i would give you guys a good laugh real quick..my user name is Ilovechevy1 for more reasons than just my my car preference...my 3 year olds son name IS Chevy( yes actaully Chevy on his borth certificate)..no **** God's honest truth there lol
Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Restricted User

Im sure you could get 40rwhp from on a cam kit swap without suporting mods. I think the ms3 would do it, but you would have to rev it up to the moon. Not to mention it would be retarded, but I bet you somone out there has done it...
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

How hard is it to get a LS1 to 450 rwhp without a cam swap?

Guys are doing it with only bolt on's with the new 5.0.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Yep your right only took em a good 9 yrs ha.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Heater
How hard is it to get a LS1 to 450 rwhp without a cam swap?

Guys are doing it with only bolt on's with the new 5.0.
My friend made 450rwhp with one bolt-on in his ls...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by z99ls1
My friend made 450rwhp with one bolt-on in his ls...
And guys are making over 500whp and over 600whp with one bolt on in their 5.0's. Along with that running the times they should at the track with them unlike the new Camaro's.

The issue of ford not making a engine N/A was brought up by Ilovechey1. I should they do make engines that produce hp N/A.

The LS engines are strong engines no one doubts that. But Ford is putting out same power as them with less. Just as impressive. We can go back forth all day with excuses of well you have 4 cams or you have 1.2L's more. It all works. Its pick your poison and go with it. Both have issues in areas. I know a guy with a LS3 engine vette that is on his third engine block now. They just are not handling the power he wants. His last setup made over 700whp/850wtq.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 07-28-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

LoL, that's what I thought.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

I don't think the 5.0's are runnin the times they should with all that power. Jury's still out on how long they last....they seem to like chewing on #8 piston.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Supposedly (from what I've read on the interweb) the #8 piston problem was from a tune that turned down the knock sensors. Also supposedly; 1 place came up with that tune and several others copied it.

I have no clue if that is true or not; just what I read on another message board.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.0