Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelo00GT
I've only read up until page 9 and it's kind of late and I'm tired, but I will say this. The weight of the SS is the only thing I can think of that hurts it against the new 5.0. If it were the same weight, there would be some Mustang owner's going home unhappy, probably more frequently than now. As far as my car, I couldn't be happier. I have surprised a few people. Don't sleep on a sleeper. Had to put a plug in there for the G8, lol.
I traded my G8 in. My G8 also made almost 500whp and was tuned by Pat G as well. My mustang is faster..LOL

*** far as the SS. If they was the same weight it would be more of a drivers race.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Oh and agree the turbo cars seem to be faster then the supercharger cars.

The turbo makes more power with less boost as well compared to a supercharger.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Well okay then... I guess there's simply nothing to explain why basically any and every racing class allowing either sees turbo cars winning over and over and over and over and over... again. Turbo cars have been the top of the game since 2001.

Not for nuthin' here... Go do your homework on drag racing. You may find information like, turbos aren't allowed in Top Fuel... or that turbo cars essentially rule the roost in classes where they, and superchargers are both allowed. You might also find that in many cases, turbocharged cars carry a bigger weight penalty than S/C's. If supercharged cars had any advantage over turbo cars, the penalty would go the opposite way. Without weight penalties, I'm fairly certain turbo cars would simply lead the way.
I'm asking more from you than just " well so and so class has so and so cars winning"..I'M asking HOW? and explain why please.Explain the HUGE advantages of a turbo over a S/C..because i'm not seeing it. (honestly if i'm wrong then i'm willing to learn )..honestly whatever power is being made with those turbo cars can be made with a S/C...i understand Top fuel does'nt allow Turbo's..but that does'nt change the fact those cars make 7,000+ HP with a S/C...are you meaning to tell me there would be a substantial increase on those cars HP by doing a Turbo?...i believe it's all in the setup ..you can build a S/C to outrun a turbo car..and vice versa..that is maybe one thing to have a class of race cars allowing one of the other and the champion being a Turbo car ..but how does that roll over into the street car scene where there are 1000-1500 RWHP street cars running either or...just like Ohioborn himself was saying that they make Turbo and S/C kits for the new 5.0 and they BOTH make about the same HP with similar PSI's..i understand that it's a buy it how it's already made kit, but so are most S/C kits..if there is a huge advantage then it would have shown in a case like that would'nt you think...how can one be much more advantagous..when BOTH are simply compressors, BOTH create heat, both make power of the engine in same way shape or form, there are way more similarities than differences....i may not be as drag racing savy as you..but i have been doing it since i was 16 and i'm 24 now..owned many muscle cars in those short years and have many drag strip passes under my belt in many different cars i raced..i have yet to be at the drag strip and see someone loose a race just because they went S/C over a turbo..or vice versa..both win races and both win championships and both make a **** ton of power and it's all in the setup plain and simple...but like i was saying...if there is more to it that i'm not seeing than please explain and if i'm wrong i will admit it..i i did'nt just join this site to talk ****..that is only 80% of the reason..the other 20% is to learn more about cars

Last edited by ilovechevy1; 07-26-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Oh and agree the turbo cars seem to be faster then the supercharger cars.

The turbo makes more power with less boost as well compared to a supercharger.
i thought about doing a turbo setup on my car..but i researched different Turbo kits and the HP they made at the PSI's they offered..also did the same with the S/C kits ,even tho i have one already, i wanted to compare the diffrences..there was'nt much of a difference..the basic P1SC kit at 6-7 psi made about the same RWHP give or take 10hp as the STS kit's...the only downfalls to a S/C over a tubro that i have seen is the S/C requires some hp to make the boost where as turbo's requires next to none..as well a S/C causing harmonic interference with the carkshaft due to the attached pulley...but these are rather small factors and i''m not seeing the portrayed HUGE difference..those factors are so small that it must be all in how either of the kits are setup on your car...if you, or It'll Run get on here and give me some profound concrete evidence of a Turbo having a huge advantage over a S/C..then i will sell my S/C and go turbo..i have thought of doing it beofre but have seen no major diffrences in the two
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always thought a twin turbo setup properly would put a thumping on a sc'd setup? I never really got into the science behind it but that's just the way it seems. I'm interested in this topic now too.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I always thought a twin turbo setup properly would put a thumping on a sc'd setup? I never really got into the science behind it but that's just the way it seems. I'm interested in this topic now too.
lol that's good then stay tuned and if IT'LLRUN can show me some huge concrete evidnce that a turbo setup has by far more advantages than a S/C setup..then i will sell my Procharger and get a turbo setup..i'm sure i could sell my setup fot atleast 3k..i did just have it gone through by ATI and they replaced the seals but said the bearing where perfect..as well as a new belt and new belt tensioner/idler pulley
Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

TT vs 4.0L SC..HMMMMM
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
TT vs 4.0L SC..HMMMMM
Go turbo. Even if it's a rear mount.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
lol that's good then stay tuned and if IT'LLRUN can show me some huge concrete evidnce that a turbo setup has by far more advantages than a S/C setup..then i will sell my Procharger and get a turbo setup..i'm sure i could sell my setup fot atleast 3k..i did just have it gone through by ATI and they replaced the seals but said the bearing where perfect..as well as a new belt and new belt tensioner/idler pulley
I have cars with both(SC MR2,Turbo Supras,SC Mustang) so I will take a stab at it.

I want to mention very quickly that a lot of people are mislead into thinking turbo kits are much more money than SC kits on your typical V8/I/V6 car performance car. Thats a bit misleading. SC kits generally don't come with intercoolers,proper tubing,bracing and most turbo kits do. Like drugs at some point you want more power and the intercooler will be needed. SC kits don't come with headers-your turbo kit 90 percent of the time comes with a more efficient manifold(s)than stock. As you get faster you need a lot of stuff most turbo kits come with(ie bracing for the compressor,fuel etc...). Some SC kits put a lot of pressure on the front crankshaft and require a heavy duty balancer of some sort or even cogged belts etc..How many guys have had SC kits on a Mustang,Vette,F body and had to upgrade to big boost pipes,BOVs,Bigger MAF etc???? Get pricey fast.

The main advantage of turbochargers over superchargers is efficiency. The turbocharger system steals almost no power from the engine itself to make boost. Supercharger systems on the other hand can take as much as 15-20% of the engines power to make boost.

Turbochargers use the exhaust gas heat and pressure from an engine to generate power for the compressor and make boost. This heat and pressure would otherwise be wasted out the tailpipe and in to the atmosphere. This could be argued that this energy is "free" unlike the SC requiring energy from a spinning belt and pulley on the front of the motor

Lets take a a mild 5.0 Mustang which is producing about 200HP at the wheels. Take a standard SC kit(Vortech S trim or a smallish Kbell if you like a roots type blower).
If both systems are making 10 lbs of boost at the gauge-manifold, and thus generating about 40% increase in engine output on the same 200hp 5.0, then the turbocharged setup would be producing 280HP and the supercharged setup would be producing 240HP. The supercharger would have to increase boost pressure in order to make the same amount of power as the turbocharger. This extra boost pressure obviously will cause greater wear on the engine itself thus resulting in shorter bottom end life,valve spring wear and less reliability. On a car like I likeChevy the difference is even greater due to his increased power.

Now on the street many people say heat soak issues are worse for the turbo car compared to the SC. As mentioned by itlrun many turbo kits are not simple bolt ons and can be more complex and can make trivial things like spark plug replacement-readings,oil changes etc suicidal. Also like he stated why do you think in the last 20 years turbo cars got handicapped by BS rules in NMCA,NMRA etc...They mopped up against SC cars and N20 cars.

Think about it. No slam against anyone with an SC.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Default ...

Nuclear Fusion Reactor.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i build my turbo kits myself. pick everything.

turbos use ~2.5% of crank power in the form of backpressure/reversion. it can be more. cam timing can minimize the reversion.

the only practical way to take advantage of a turbochargers power advantage in drag racing is with an automatic transmission and transbrake/converter optimized for peak boost at the line.

in a sense turbochargers get some of their power for the turbine from the heat and expansion of gasses. its called pressure ratio. if a gas is heated at a certain pressure level its expanded volume is many times its cold state. the pressure that expansion creates on the high pressure side of the turbine vs. the low pressure side of the exhausting gasses is its pressure ratio. generally a well setup turbocharger will try to approach the same pressure ratio on the hotside as the cold side inlet. tubine/compressor. its not really approachable because of friction losses etc.

the combined volume of the exhaust housing A/R and the wastegate limits total boost...n engine can only push a turbine so hard. the more exhaust gas volume an engine can flow in lb/minute, the more boost it can support.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Teching In

ok..if you say so...mustags dominate the drag strip???..thats cause alot of them where sold...and they are cheap to come by...and the fox bodies are the most common race car at the track...mainly because they are a lightweight musclecar.and besides hell man...ALOT of them are running GM engines LOL ..but i'm not talking about a few years of the F bodies domintaing...from 93-2010...the base model camaro V8 was faster than the base model V8 mustang...thats whole 17 years!!...and i know what you are gona say..the same thing most mustang guys say...well what about the cobra!...yeah..there was an 03-04 cobra that ONLY had 370RWHP stock even tho it was DOHC v8 with a freaking supercharger..but even still it was only on average 4 tenths a second faster than a stock LS1 Z28...sorry man..but the ONLY impressive mustangs are the new 5.0's...and i have videos up on my youtube channel of me beating 2 of those...also beating 2 GT500's and a modded Termi cobra...there is a reason 80% of the mustangs on the road are owned by ladies...i used to have a 3.8L 5 speed lightly modded 96 camaro...my V6 with only headers/ exhaust / and a CAI would run the EXACT same times as stock same year model mustang GT's LOL...i actually beat a few of them..becuase i had a 200 HP V6..and the GT's at that time had a weakling 215!...PFT..mustangs dominate...?...yeah..HIGHLY MODDED MUSTANGS and NEW 5.0's ONLY!...

if you are trying to prove to me mustangs are awesome..then let me show you my vid of me stomping a GT500...it's hard to prove to me anything unless i see it racing me at the track

http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveche.../0/ExEScKDFJeU
U r ******* retarded. "Only good Mustangs are new 5.0s"... Lmfao

Btw my good friend is putting a windsor in his third gen firebird which is close go a camaro... And its going to run 7s... In the quarter!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OVRBRD
third gen firebird which is close go a camaro
You don't say...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OVRBRD
U r ******* retarded. "Only good Mustangs are new 5.0s"... Lmfao

Btw my good friend is putting a windsor in his third gen firebird which is close go a camaro... And its going to run 7s... In the quarter!
you calling me reatrded but yet you just said " Btw my good friend is putting a windsor in his third gen firebird which is close go a camaro... And its going to run 7s... In the quarter!"...you need to add a lil more bullshit to the end of that sentence for anyone to believe that..you dont' just slap a Windsor in a camaro and run 7's in the quatermile..i think maybe you mean 8th mile..even then he may run a high 7 in the 8th mile if he's lucky...he's gona need more than juat a Windsor there buddy...give more info on it..or more bullshit..either way
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

but serious question here guy's...so if i went with a turbo making the same PSI as my procharger does now..you saying i WILL pick up 15-20% HP ??...that somewhat seems worth switching over..but if i end up getting a measly 10 more RWHP out of the whole deal..i will be pissed lol...i mean free hp is free hp..but a small pick up in HP is'nt gona be worth the pain and aggrivation of selling my current S/C kit..finding a suitable streetable Turbo kit ..istalling it and redynoing and all that what not stuff...the gain will need to be SIGNIFIGANT!! for me to actually go throgh with it
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

It would be dumb this point for you to switch. But yes if you went turbo in the first place for the most part you would be faster. Especially with the automatic-you can build boost from a stop and not lose boost on the shifts
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

but serious question here guy's...so if i went with a turbo making the same PSI as my procharger does now..you saying i WILL pick up 15-20% HP ??...
To answer your question yes. Psi for Psi turbo will make more power (everything else equal).

My only beef with turbos is that they need load to build boost. Centri's build boost based on rpm. Great for manual cars. That why turbo's love autos.

-Mark
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Teching In

you calling me reatrded but yet you just said " Btw my good friend is putting a windsor in his third gen firebird which is close go a camaro... And its going to run 7s... In the quarter!"...you need to add a lil more bullshit to the end of that sentence for anyone to believe that..you dont' just slap a Windsor in a camaro and run 7's in the quatermile..i think maybe you mean 8th mile..even then he may run a high 7 in the 8th mile if he's lucky...he's gona need more than juat a Windsor there buddy...give more info on it..or more bullshit..either way
How is it bullshit when its the truth? You said all ford motors suck, and I was calling you a clown. Car is a 90 formula, full wolfe craft suspension, 315/60 mickeys, neal pro glide and verter, solid roller with 750 lift spins to 9k, rdi aluminum block, lunati pro 4 inch crank, oliver rods, 4.135 pistons~434 cid, victor heads that flow 390 cfm on intake and almost 300 exhaust, twin precision 76s, wilson manifold weldon 2345 pump, fast engine management etc. The same motor in his fox outlaw chassis ran a 4.6 @ 161 in the eigth on mid boost carrying the bars to 300 feet... That's a low 7 with a laggy *** 114 mm turbo @ near 200. He will go 7s the first season with more power in a street car.. Good talkin with ya. Not all fords suck, just sayin. Btw so there isn't any my friends car is fast bullshit comments, I'm building a similar slightly smaller motor with 72s that will run low 8s as well in a fox body.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

but serious question here guy's...so if i went with a turbo making the same PSI as my procharger does now..you saying i WILL pick up 15-20% HP ??...that somewhat seems worth switching over..but if i end up getting a measly 10 more RWHP out of the whole deal..i will be pissed lol...i mean free hp is free hp..but a small pick up in HP is'nt gona be worth the pain and aggrivation of selling my current S/C kit..finding a suitable streetable Turbo kit ..istalling it and redynoing and all that what not stuff...the gain will need to be SIGNIFIGANT!! for me to actually go throgh with it
U have more power to be tapped in that blower before u go turbo... Just up the boost 3 psi and retune and go from there. At 14 psi on meth u should be able to make 650 rw maxed out. Do that before u swap setups.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steelo00GT
I've only read up until page 9 and it's kind of late and I'm tired, but I will say this. The weight of the SS is the only thing I can think of that hurts it against the new 5.0. If it were the same weight, there would be some Mustang owner's going home unhappy, probably more frequently than now.

Yeah, and IF the Mustang had the same cubic inch the SS does; the Mustang would still be faster at the same weight.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.0