Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
It'llrun...how can you say the stangs have been in the spotlight since 1990?...when for the better part of the 90's the F bodies dominted every mustang Ford put out..a 1990-95 5.0 GT mustang made a woppping 215hp at the flywheel..no better than GM 305 powered Z28 but then in 93 GM got on the ball with the 275hp Lt1 in the F bodies and it was a good bit faster than the mustangs of the time..and so was the story all the way untill 2002..there was no base model mustang GT that was faster than the base model camaro wich was the Z28..factory wise i mean ..GM offered the LS1 underated at 305 HP into the Z28 when it in fact made 350 (flywheel) and around 300 RWHP..and the same year model GT's offered ONLY like 260hp(flywheel) around 220 RWHP...the LS1 powered F bodies where STILL faster and more powerful than than the mustang GT all the way up to 2010!!..then the 2010 SS camaro came out and dominated the 2010 stang GT...FORD finally got on the ball and offered a powerful NON supercharged V8 ( in other words they grew *****) ..the ONLY fast mustang GT are the new 5.0's..period!..and the Termi cobras are okay too..even tho i dont' consider a DOHC supercharged V8 that makes only 370 RWHP stock a very impressive car..they are cool cause they are forged and they look good...mustang owners have been putting GM engines in their cars for years because they want to go fast!..you will never see a camaro with a FORD engine..thats just dumb

Pretty evident you were not in the car scene back in the early 90s. The Mustang 5.0 lX/GT was the car to have-aftermarket was insane and at least 3 car mags devoted to them with very little attention paid to the F body. The Fbody twins may have matched the power(thats if you upped for a TPI 305 dual cat or a 350 TPI but if you got the carbed LG4 ir TBI RS you were in big trouble) but they didn't match the ET,were more expensive to buy and modify. In fact a loaded RS v8 Camaro was more money then the LX brand new. The tide changed in 1993 for sure-even with free mods on the 5.0 the LT1 in 4th gear would pull. 1998 the Mustang was at a severe disadvantage in terms of straight line speed as well with the debut of the LS1.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

i'm not sure what more you can do to get into the 10's without boost or nitrous...theres a vid up on youtube of a 5.0 with an auto..he had a procharger with only 7 psi..full exhaust..4.11 gears ad some mt's and he ran a 10.6..i was like damn...BC i have a procharger. stall/ built 4L60E..LS6 intake..full exhaust..and water/meth and alot of other mods and i have ran as fast as 11.3 but have done more since i ran that time..i think it will now run a 10.9..but still...that **** makes my stomach turn..to see a stang running 10's with boost and gears..like WTF...i never thought i''d see the day when ford made a fast stang GT lol
Just seen your times. So you comparing your highly modded car to a stock mustang GT500/GT?

As mentioned a tire swapped 11' GT500 has went low 11s. Tune, pulley they went 10s. Not bad as you can get all that from ford and all way up to 800hp and keep warranty on it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Pretty evident you were not in the car scene back in the early 90s. The Mustang 5.0 lX/GT was the car to have-aftermarket was insane and at least 3 car mags devoted to them with very little attention paid to the F body. The Fbody twins may have matched the power(thats if you upped for a TPI 305 dual cat or a 350 TPI but if you got the carbed LG4 ir TBI RS you were in big trouble) but they didn't match the ET,were more expensive to buy and modify. In fact a loaded RS v8 Camaro was more money then the LX brand new. The tide changed in 1993 for sure-even with free mods on the 5.0 the LT1 in 4th gear would pull. 1998 the Mustang was at a severe disadvantage in terms of straight line speed as well with the debut of the LS1.
no man i was still in elementry school back in those years... i have owned 2 86 camaro Z28's...and i also owned an 89 mustang GT...so i know that the 80's and early 90's mustangs where a lil faster (due to weight) than the camaro's...but GM has more than made up for that by dominating the mustang in strait line performance for the past 17 years...it just pisses me off becuase the Ford boys have been coming out the woodwork after being dormant for 17 years and they are hoping all over Fords new sucess at actually making fast mustangs now...the new 5.0 Gt and boss are very impressive...especially by mustang standards of the past..but i know for a fact that the General wont lay down long and let Ford keep having thier fun...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang ohioborn, so what is your car without your boy driving it? it was a 13 sec something right? dang that other 5.0 obviously needed the driver mod and a tune...and prob some passenger subtraction with a little more driver mod thrown in there with a more aggressive tune than the first one i mentioned.

lol at gaunt's black hole comment. my initial thought was very similar, but involved midgets and chemical testing on animals.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
dang ohioborn, so what is your car without your boy driving it? it was a 13 sec something right? dang that other 5.0 obviously needed the driver mod and a tune...and prob some passenger subtraction with a little more driver mod thrown in there with a more aggressive tune than the first one i mentioned.

lol at gaunt's black hole comment. my initial thought was very similar, but involved midgets and chemical testing on animals.
Tires only I ran a bunch 12.4s and 1 12.2.

Cold air, tune, gears I ran 11.8

With current setup hasn't been to track. But will be there Saturday.

Maybe you missed the thread I spanked the bolt on WS6.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Just seen your times. So you comparing your highly modded car to a stock mustang GT500/GT?

As mentioned a tire swapped 11' GT500 has went low 11s. Tune, pulley they went 10s. Not bad as you can get all that from ford and all way up to 800hp and keep warranty on it.
well you forget to look at the fact of i paid only 13k for my car ( some of my hard earned deployment money lol) ...and the fact i also only have about 8k in mods...for a total price of around 20k...the GT500 i was racing base price is around 50k (was new anyhows) and there is also a 11 year age difference between both cars...an Ls1 was never meant for boost like a GT500 was...and a GT500 is an already highly modded car from the factory..hence the 50k price tag...forged internals/ supercharger/ built tranny/..and a 30k price difference and i beat that particular GT500 by a full 2 second ( even tho i know Gt500's run high 11's..i'm just saying)...so i think it's more than fair dont' you?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

no man i was still in elementry school back in those years... i have owned 2 86 camaro Z28's...and i also owned an 89 mustang GT...so i know that the 80's and early 90's mustangs where a lil faster (due to weight) than the camaro's...but GM has more than made up for that by dominating the mustang in strait line performance for the past 17 years...it just pisses me off becuase the Ford boys have been coming out the woodwork after being dormant for 17 years and they are hoping all over Fords new sucess at actually making fast mustangs now...the new 5.0 Gt and boss are very impressive...especially by mustang standards of the past..but i know for a fact that the General wont lay down long and let Ford keep having thier fun...
And yet again you only consider a GT. I can go to any drag strip watch mustangs out run camaro's/ta's and viseversa. It's all about how deep your pockets are.

Oh and you might want to look there is entry of 6-8 sec ford powered mustangs.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires only I ran a bunch 12.4s and 1 12.2.

Cold air, tune, gears I ran 11.8

With current setup hasn't been to track. But will be there Saturday.

Maybe you missed the thread I spanked the bolt on WS6.
ya i missed that thread, got a link to it? it's tough for me to figure out that a 440+ whp car would do to a 310 whp car with similar weight. you should use your poor driving as a sales pitch to those you're racing. if you're in the car it's guaranteed to go .2 and 2 mph slower than its potential. hell i'd take you up on that right after i picked up a 100 shot haha.

edit: the 5.0 in the day was king. 4" bore + 3" stroke enough power to be breakin those stock blocks in no time!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

well you forget to look at the fact of i paid only 13k for my car ( some of my hard earned deployment money lol) ...and the fact i also only have about 8k in mods...for a total price of around 20k...the GT500 i was racing base price is around 50k (was new anyhows) and there is also a 11 year age difference between both cars...an Ls1 was never meant for boost like a GT500 was...and a GT500 is an already highly modded car from the factory..hence the 50k price tag...forged internals/ supercharger/ built tranny/..and a 30k price difference and i beat that particular GT500 by a full 2 second ( even tho i know Gt500's run high 11's..i'm just saying)...so i think it's more than fair dont' you?
Not really. It's hard to compare saying well I paid this and pit this to beat a stock new car. That is ricer math. I can go buy a old mustang for 3k drop 10k and run faster then you so then your ricer math would fail again. Or I do it with less money for a import.

As mention that 50k car is a lot more car then you got also. That is the reason it is 46-53k. Also as mention you get a free warranty if buy upgrades from ford or Shelby all way to 800hp. Do you have any warranty.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

And yet again you only consider a GT. I can go to any drag strip watch mustangs out run camaro's/ta's and viseversa. It's all about how deep your pockets are.

Oh and you might want to look there is entry of 6-8 sec ford powered mustangs.
lol hey take it easy SGT..(SPC ilovechevy1 stands at parade rest to SGT ohioborn and his awsome 2011 5.0) and yes i only consider the GT..i look around on the streets at at the drag strips and 90% of the stangs out there are GT's...GM only had a Z28 and an SS and they spanked a many a mustang *** with just those models...Ford has many stang models...and for many years it took the very top of the line stangs to just barely nudge by the base model Z28..actually..the salleens and the Termis are really the only ones that where a lil faster...the mach 1 and pre 2003 cobras where not faster than the Z28 unless it was an 03-04 Termi...for the same price GM offered a faster base model V8 for MANY years over the mustangs...i mean it's just facts SGT...dont' get me wrong...YOUR mustang is fking AWESOME..i mean..WOW dude..it's a 9.9 on my bad *** car scale...only thing i would like to see you have is a procharger...then you would be running like a 10.5 or faster...you would damn sure be faster than me
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

lol hey take it easy SGT..(SPC ilovechevy1 stands at parade rest to SGT ohioborn and his awsome 2011 5.0) and yes i only consider the GT..i look around on the streets at at the drag strips and 90% of the stangs out there are GT's...GM only had a Z28 and an SS and they spanked a many a mustang *** with just those models...Ford has many stang models...and for many years it took the very top of the line stangs to just barely nudge by the base model Z28..actually..the salleens and the Termis are really the only ones that where a lil faster...the mach 1 and pre 2003 cobras where not faster than the Z28 unless it was an 03-04 Termi...for the same price GM offered a faster base model V8 for MANY years over the mustangs...i mean it's just facts SGT...dont' get me wrong...YOUR mustang is fking AWESOME..i mean..WOW dude..it's a 9.9 on my bad *** car scale...only thing i would like to see you have is a procharger...then you would be running like a 10.5 or faster...you would damn sure be faster than me
Going by your price of cars a new Z28/SS both was more expensive then a GT..The SS was priced right with a Cobra of the same years. Which usually came down to the driver.

Oh and its SSG..haha

Oh and I will run 10s before I boost..
Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
ya i missed that thread, got a link to it? it's tough for me to figure out that a 440+ whp car would do to a 310 whp car with similar weight. you should use your poor driving as a sales pitch to those you're racing. if you're in the car it's guaranteed to go .2 and 2 mph slower than its potential. hell i'd take you up on that right after i picked up a 100 shot haha.

edit: the 5.0 in the day was king. 4" bore + 3" stroke enough power to be breakin those stock blocks in no time!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...hioborn80.html

Also last time I went to track same guy went with me. I out drove him all night. His best was a 12.1 to my 11.8..

And with next round of stuff going on car you will deffently need more then a 100 shot. haha..WHat do you run now? You might need that 100 shot now..the 11.8 was a lot of mods ago for me..
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

:
Not really. It's hard to compare saying well I paid this and pit this to beat a stock new car. That is ricer math. I can go buy a old mustang for 3k drop 10k and run faster then you so then your ricer math would fail again. Or I do it with less money for a import.

As mention that 50k car is a lot more car then you got also. That is the reason it is 46-53k. Also as mention you get a free warranty if buy upgrades from ford or Shelby all way to 800hp. Do you have any warranty.
nope no warranty.....but easy with the rice stuff there SGT lol..we could all buy rice and go fast for cheap..but then we would all drive ugly *** cars that sound like weedeaters instead of our low rumbling earth shaking musclecars...but you have to get where i'm coming from..i think i have a cooler car than a GT500...i cost way less...it's faster...and i still have soooo many mods to go..i'm still mostly stock..i got a stock bottom end...stock heads.. stockish LS6 intake..and only mid tube headers...and i'm only running 7 PSI...i also am rocking my stock 10 bolt with stock 3.23 gears.and it is a 10 second daily driven car ( 10's not yet confirmed)..i think me beating every GT500 and Termi cobra and 2011 5.0 that i have crossed paths with is a feat ....
Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

:

nope no warranty.....but easy with the rice stuff there SGT lol..we could all buy rice and go fast for cheap..but then we would all drive ugly *** cars that sound like weedeaters instead of our low rumbling earth shaking musclecars...but you have to get where i'm coming from..i think i have a cooler car than a GT500...i cost way less...it's faster...and i still have soooo many mods to go..i'm still mostly stock..i got a stock bottom end...stock heads.. stockish LS6 intake..and only mid tube headers...and i'm only running 7 PSI...i also am rocking my stock 10 bolt with stock 3.23 gears.and it is a 10 second daily driven car ( 10's not yet confirmed)..i think me beating every GT500 and Termi cobra and 2011 5.0 that i have crossed paths with is a feat ....
You missed the whole point..

And sorry I think a GT500 is a lot nicer..Hell its nicer then my car. If I could have afforded it I would have bought one..Some simple upgrades and you have a 10sec new car with every option on it. Plus warranty. Better resale, etc etc. Oh and a lot more chicks would dig the GT500 more....haha
Old 07-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

Going by your price of cars a new Z28/SS both was more expensive then a GT..The SS was priced right with a Cobra of the same years. Which usually came down to the driver.

Oh and its SSG..haha

Oh and I will run 10s before I boost..
yeah but the cool thing about the LS1 Z28 and SS was their only real difference was a ram air hood that added only like 20hp...the mach 1 was still only an even match for the cheaper Z28..and same for the cobra's (non TERMIS of course) ..oh you a Staff SGT..well then allow me to you....that was actually for your car not you lol....what else do you plan to do to make it run a 10?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

yeah but the cool thing about the LS1 Z28 and SS was their only real difference was a ram air hood that added only like 20hp...the mach 1 was still only an even match for the cheaper Z28..and same for the cobra's (non TERMIS of course) ..oh you a Staff SGT..well then allow me to you....that was actually for your car not you lol....what else do you plan to do to make it run a 10?
I knew a lot of Cobra's/Mach 1s that ran and beat Z28/SS just fine. 97-02.

I will do cams/ported heads/driveshaft. See where that gets me. Few buddies have went low 11s with basically same mods as me. Few other cars around country have hit low 11.1@12X with just bolt ons and some weight reduction. Some 10s with bolt ons and weight reeducation as well. Since I don't want to make my car unsafe to drive on the street I will stay away from major weight reduction and add more power..LOL..

Evo went 10s N/A with bolt ons but they had there car down to 3000lbs or so. Basically no interior but the dash.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

You missed the whole point..

And sorry I think a GT500 is a lot nicer..Hell its nicer then my car. If I could have afforded it I would have bought one..Some simple upgrades and you have a 10sec new car with every option on it. Plus warranty. Better resale, etc etc. Oh and a lot more chicks would dig the GT500 more....haha
my father in law has a 2010 GT500..100% stock..he let me drive it (under his discretion of course) and i got on it and it pulled pretty hard ..and was a smooth and nice car..very refined..smooth clutch ..a real muscle car indeed...but then i took him for a ride in my car..he was like "FML" and he was honestly scared of it and begged me to not floor it anymore..the pull of my stalled and built 520 RWHP boosted LS1 was a vicious feeling because it downshifts and has mad acceleration at at any speeds..wheres the GT500 had a gradual increase in power and pull...my car is more of a monster than his and he was not happy to hear how much money i have into my car..he felt like he wasted 30 grand..btw..i still have A/C full interior..power windows and power seats and all that good stuff..my car is by no means a drag only car..i drive it back and forth all day and you know how it is in the Army..always running arrons and going here and there..it has'nt failed me yet...and if i was you i would be happy you got the 5.0 insted of the GT500...you can go faster for cheaper..i have beaten a 770 RWHP GT500 at the track...he fianlly got it to run 10's...those cars really are at the drivers mercy...the average driver in a stock drag radial only GT500 will only run about a 12.0..i have seen this done many times...i see 5.0's do the same and better..they are lighter
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

I have a friend with a 700whp GT500..His best time in the 1/4 is low 10s. He runs it mainly on the street. Running boosted Vettes and other high HP cars.

Like said the Cobra is just much more of a car even then a loaded 5.0. The 2011 GT500 is even faster then the 2010. Its about 200hp lighter, little better suspension, and aluminum block. Plus a little hp increase.

If your father in law just wanted a fast car then he should have built one. You can buy older cars and build cheaper then new cars. But you don't end up with all the nice **** that new car has. As said new interior, warranty, 550hp stock to start with, forged engine, etc etc. Also you have to look at is you have a blower and make 70whp more then me..Just think when i put on a blower. I know there is least 5 cars with prochargers making 600-700whp with bolt ons. They all have went lower 10s. Biggest issue for all them now is traction. 5.0's With Roush 2300's are running great times all over also.

As far as times I will let you know what I run Saturday even in TX heat and a DA of 3000+.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

I have a friend with a 700whp GT500..His best time in the 1/4 is low 10s. He runs it mainly on the street. Running boosted Vettes and other high HP cars.

Like said the Cobra is just much more of a car even then a loaded 5.0. The 2011 GT500 is even faster then the 2010. Its about 200hp lighter, little better suspension, and aluminum block. Plus a little hp increase.

If your father in law just wanted a fast car then he should have built one. You can buy older cars and build cheaper then new cars. But you don't end up with all the nice **** that new car has. As said new interior, warranty, 550hp stock to start with, forged engine, etc etc. Also you have to look at is you have a blower and make 70whp more then me..Just think when i put on a blower. I know there is least 5 cars with prochargers making 600-700whp with bolt ons. They all have went lower 10s. Biggest issue for all them now is traction. 5.0's With Roush 2300's are running great times all over also.

As far as times I will let you know what I run Saturday even in TX heat and a DA of 3000+.
yeah no doubt SGT...i will await your vids...and trust me..by no means do i think my car is better than the new 5.0...the price of them is actually affordable to the average worker..unlike the almost unatainable 50k GT500...and i know all too well..you take all the mods i have done to my car...and do them to a new 5.0..then you would probally be running high 9's while i'm in the high 10's range..my mods done to a new SS would atleast make a mid 10 seocnd car..but they are FAT asses and that holds them back terribly

i will give you a lil motivation to get your car into the 10's sooner
heres some vids of me racing a couple 2011 5.0's...one of them is an actual steeda test car driven by Scott Boda..a very well know stang racer..hes been on pass time..and won many events with his 9.1 second daily driven FOX body
http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveche.../2/ieM8ysiifzI

this other vid is of a 2011 5.0 ..he claimed exhasut/CAI/ tuning and drag radials but my memory of that day was is a lil shady..its been like a year ago..my car was'nt as modded then is it is now..and this was when i was still stationed at FT.Bliss in EL Paso.(there track sucks NEVER go there)

http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveche...12/kh_1hhtBTHk
Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

You don't know JACK about those years, and it doesn't matter what you purchased 15-20yrs after the fact... Since you're stuck on drag racing though...

The Mustang wasn't simply faster due to weight. Those cars weighed almost the same, about 3200 lb, depending on model. The Mustang had several advantages. It had a better suspension for drag racing and was less expensive to purchase and upgrade. Nobody had to go into a dealer looking for a specific power train in a V8 model either. They were all the same with exception of transmission choices and rear gearing.

Those 17yrs you claim are a bad joke... It doesn't add up in any logical calculation. 17yrs ago it was.... I'm guessing we're talking about 1994... Oddball choice, but okay.

As for GM not laying down long... Don't bet too hard on that hope... They laid down from the end of 2002 till the middle of 2009 already. THAT was too long! Since, they've offered the SS and nothing... no upgraded models yet and it seems about 3yrs in the making to go there. No optional engine, transmission, gearset, weight reduction... nothing. Ford blasted out a new GT and GT500 already... Took 'em about 1yr from the new SS. Plus, Ford is already planning on the next Mustang and STILL, telling us the GT500 will exceed 600hp soon... THAT is getting on it!

GM... COULD have done this already. The LS9 was available, but not chosen for Camaro, etc. HELL YES I'm pissed about it! They're WASTING TIME AND MONEY!

Here's the bottom line and it IS why the Mustang was, and is in the spotlight... The quickest door slammer "pony cars" aren't GM's. The aftermarket and tuning capabilities for Mustangs leaves them UNRIVALED overall. We know this because we've been watching(and some driving) Mustangs rip up the track for ages. Sure, some F-bodies really haul. However, when it comes to opening the door, climing in, closing that door then drag racing these ponies... Like it or not, the contest quite frankly isn't even close, sans imagination. Mustangs are apparently easy to modify for power and have been for more than 2 decades. I'm not "hating on GM" here either. It simply is what it is. Mustangs have run low 6's... What else has?

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.0