Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2004 pbm GTO vs Ram air Trans am..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011 | 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
I just wanna take a poll to c how many people actually think this kids LT1 is hitting mid 12's UNTUNED MILD BOLT ONS, STOCK HEADS, STOCK BLOCK, NO INTERNALS...
According to his profile he has a cam, headers, stall/built A4 and gears. Depending on how it's running without a tune, that could be a very quick car. You might want to stick to talking trash about his interior.
Old 07-20-2011 | 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I have seen bolt on LT1 Z28 hardtops hit high 12s with bolt ons on the east coast.
Old 07-20-2011 | 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
According to his profile he has a cam, headers, stall/built A4 and gears. Depending on how it's running without a tune, that could be a very quick car. You might want to stick to talking trash about his interior.
hahaha Im just going off what he said...I think in one of his past post..He prob changed it..
Old 07-20-2011 | 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Throw some M/T's on that GTO and minor suspension and your high 12's easy.
Old 07-20-2011 | 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

either way I just looked at his profile it says 12.9 @107 whoopty do..catch me on a cold december day Ill hit that **** on street tires...I'll prob hit that **** on hot summer day as long as I get 2nd to stick..cam and bolt ons for a 12.9 man come on son ls1's with same mods are hitting 11's only difference is I dont have to really worry bout my 10 bolt going out cuz im running an IRS..Theres a guy on the gto forums who I believe ran a 10 on a stock IRS..
Old 07-21-2011 | 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

either way I just looked at his profile it says 12.9 @107 whoopty do..catch me on a cold december day Ill hit that **** on street tires...I'll prob hit that **** on hot summer day as long as I get 2nd to stick..cam and bolt ons for a 12.9 man come on son ls1's with same mods are hitting 11's only difference is I dont have to really worry bout my 10 bolt going out cuz im running an IRS..Theres a guy on the gto forums who I believe ran a 10 on a stock IRS..
ummm yeaaaaa

I know the half shafts on the IRS on 04 GTO are ****, and takes some decent bucks to make bullet proof. The IRS wasnt designed to be used in a car that heavy.
Old 07-21-2011 | 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
ummm yeaaaaa

I know the half shafts on the IRS on 04 GTO are ****, and takes some decent bucks to make bullet proof. The IRS wasnt designed to be used in a car that heavy.
I could be wrong..I remember reading an article saying he had made a 10 sec pass on stock irs..
Old 07-21-2011 | 01:30 AM
Launching!

this thread just made me lawl.

And you can't knock the LT1 too bad, LT1 f-bombs were hanging with Mustangs till about 5 years ago which isn't shabby at all. Why because my 94 Z28 bone stock was beating 2005s when they were brand frigin new lol.
Old 07-21-2011 | 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

either way I just looked at his profile it says 12.9 @107 whoopty do..catch me on a cold december day Ill hit that **** on street tires...I'll prob hit that **** on hot summer day as long as I get 2nd to stick..cam and bolt ons for a 12.9 man come on son ls1's with same mods are hitting 11's only difference is I dont have to really worry bout my 10 bolt going out cuz im running an IRS..There's a guy on the gto forums who I believe ran a 10 on a stock IRS..
People run 10's on a 10 bolt here all the time it doesnt mean they wont grenade on the next pass though.
Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
ummm yeaaaaa

This, atleast not the one in the gto the camaro uses a different irs that is stronger while the cts-v in earlier years shared the same weaknesses as the gto.

I could be wrong..I remember reading an article saying he had made a 10 sec pass on stock irs..
There's also a guy with a procharged ss 6 spd that ran consistant 10's on his 10 bolt... It happens dude the gto irs isnt that great. It's one of the reasons they are less than par on the track. The irs inherently creates wheel hop and squats the rear end down sucking up power and making for a shitty launch. Go look on cobra forums and even some gto forums and you will see a lot of people switching to a solid axle for better track results.
Old 07-21-2011 | 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
this thread just made me lawl.

And you can't knock the LT1 too bad, LT1 f-bombs were hanging with Mustangs till about 5 years ago which isn't shabby at all. Why because my 94 Z28 bone stock was beating 2005s when they were brand frigin new lol.
lol

Originally Posted by redbird555
People run 10's on a 10 bolt here all the time it doesnt mean they wont grenade on the next pass though.
This, atleast not the one in the gto the camaro uses a different irs that is stronger while the cts-v in earlier years shared the same weaknesses as the gto.

There's also a guy with a procharged ss 6 spd that ran consistant 10's on his 10 bolt... It happens dude the gto irs isnt that great. It's one of the reasons they are less than par on the track. The irs inherently creates wheel hop and squats the rear end down sucking up power and making for a shitty launch. Go look on cobra forums and even some gto forums and you will see a lot of people switching to a solid axle for better track results.
Yeah that was gonna be my next post...just cuz it happened once doesnt mean its not gonna grenade..I just always c post where guys blow their 10 bolts...either way if your running 10's your prob gonna need to upgrade some crap either way..
Old 07-21-2011 | 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

a 10 bolt behind an auto will live forever plenty of people have 11 sec cars and run reliably on 10 bolts simply because even a stalled auto doesnt shock the rear end like a 6 speed does. an auto gradually kicks in power on the launch and the shifts are smooth and preise whereas with a 6 speed all the power is shocked into the rear on the clutch dump and it gets shocked again with each shift making it go boom
Old 07-21-2011 | 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

a 10 bolt behind an auto will live forever plenty of people have 11 sec cars and run reliably on 10 bolts simply because even a stalled auto doesnt shock the rear end like a 6 speed does. an auto gradually kicks in power on the launch and the shifts are smooth and preise whereas with a 6 speed all the power is shocked into the rear on the clutch dump and it gets shocked again with each shift making it go boom
Not exactly true. I've seen plenty stalled A4's break the factory 10-bolt; some not even quite in the 11's yet. I've also seen them get into the low 11's/high 10's too, as well as a few mid/low 11-second M6 cars on the stock 10-bolt here and there. Its a crap shoot. It can last, but to say they will last forever (as in general) is misleading. 9x out of 10 it won't last!
Old 07-21-2011 | 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 85mustang351
So in theory a 98 with the ls6 intake would be slightly faster than the 01/02. Is that something worth buying?
A 1998 is never worth buying. If you've already done so then you have my condolences

I just wanna take a poll to c how many people actually think this kids LT1 is hitting mid 12's UNTUNED MILD BOLT ONS, STOCK HEADS, STOCK BLOCK, NO INTERNALS...
I can't speak for this guy's car specifically, but there have been a few bolt-on LT1's running mid 12's and a couple in the low 12's. The fastest ones have a good bit of weight reduction.

man come on son ls1's with same mods are hitting 11's only difference is I dont have to really worry bout my 10 bolt going out cuz im running an IRS..Theres a guy on the gto forums who I believe ran a 10 on a stock IRS..
I've seen quite a few 2004 GTO's break half shafts at the strip well before running anywhere near 11's. A couple were very minor bolt-on cars on drag radials.

I don't know if the 2005-2006 got upgraded parts from the factory, but I haven't seen as many of them break.

I know the half shafts themselves aren't cheap. I think what alot of guys do is just replace the axle stubs that go into the rear, that way if the axle breaks, the stub isn't broken off into the rear, which is not easy to remove from what I've heard.

All in all, it's like any part. There are people running stupid fast on stock parts that other's seem to break all the time. Kind of a crap shoot and it's up to the owner whether or not they want to roll those dice.
Old 07-21-2011 | 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Not exactly true. I've seen plenty stalled A4's break the factory 10-bolt; some not even quite in the 11's yet. I've also seen them get into the low 11's/high 10's too, as well as a few mid/low 11-second M6 cars on the stock 10-bolt here and there. Its a crap shoot. It can last, but to say they will last forever (as in general) is misleading. 9x out of 10 it won't last!
Maybe forever was a bit much but behind an auto theres a much better chance they will last a lot longer many people on this board with their autos still run a 10 bolt not saying they arent a crap shoot but most of the 10 bolts that break are behind m6's
Old 07-21-2011 | 12:03 PM
Teching In

I thought there was a standing rule here implemented by unit that you had to be out of the 13's to talk ****????

Like 2 midgets arguing about who is the tallest......

Just a general thought, not pointing anyone out. Hell, I'm in the low 11's now and don't talk **** on this board.
Old 07-21-2011 | 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
A 1998 is never worth buying. If you've already done so then you have my condolences

I can't speak for this guy's car specifically, but there have been a few bolt-on LT1's running mid 12's and a couple in the low 12's. The fastest ones have a good bit of weight reduction.

I've seen quite a few 2004 GTO's break half shafts at the strip well before running anywhere near 11's. A couple were very minor bolt-on cars on drag radials.

I don't know if the 2005-2006 got upgraded parts from the factory, but I haven't seen as many of them break.

I know the half shafts themselves aren't cheap. I think what alot of guys do is just replace the axle stubs that go into the rear, that way if the axle breaks, the stub isn't broken off into the rear, which is not easy to remove from what I've heard.

All in all, it's like any part. There are people running stupid fast on stock parts that other's seem to break all the time. Kind of a crap shoot and it's up to the owner whether or not they want to roll those dice.
Yeah ive read an article some where bout replacing something in the half shafts or just replacing them all together with after market for more reliability..
good info though
Maybe forever was a bit much but behind an auto theres a much better chance they will last a lot longer many people on this board with their autos still run a 10 bolt not saying they arent a crap shoot but most of the 10 bolts that break are behind m6's
yeah I could def c how that would work dumping your clutch at 5k in a m6 is probably not to good on your rear end

Originally Posted by 2v-in-12's
I thought there was a standing rule here implemented by unit that you had to be out of the 13's to talk ****????

Like 2 midgets arguing about who is the tallest......

Just a general thought, not pointing anyone out. Hell, I'm in the low 11's now and don't talk **** on this board.
hey I just posted a thread bout a street race that took place.. idk whats going on here.. Im working on some m/t streets and o/r pipe though
Old 07-21-2011 | 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

12.9 is an old time. I told you I've been 12.5. As soon as I get home ill hook you up with a timeslip. My car has stock heads with a valve job, stock bottom end, almost full bolt ons and is awaiting a dyno tune and a cutout next week as well as some weight reduction. The 12.5 was in about 3500 DA. I also have a CC306 cam, that has NOT been on the dyno yet and I have the shifts set to around 6200, which if you know that cam, youd know its about 600rpm too low. I'll be taking it up to 6600 when I get it tuned. A cool night and 11's arents out of the question. Your GTO has great potential, but right now, your car is slow.
Old 07-21-2011 | 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
12.9 is an old time. I told you I've been 12.5. As soon as I get home ill hook you up with a timeslip. My car has stock heads with a valve job, stock bottom end, almost full bolt ons and is awaiting a dyno tune and a cutout next week as well as some weight reduction. The 12.5 was in about 3500 DA. I also have a CC306 cam, that has NOT been on the dyno yet and I have the shifts set to around 6200, which if you know that cam, youd know its about 600rpm too low. I'll be taking it up to 6600 when I get it tuned. A cool night and 11's arents out of the question. Your GTO has great potential, but right now, your car is slow.
Im not gonna lie 12.5 for an lt1 is pretty respectable...I never came on here saying I was ubber fast...The 13.2 was on stock 245/45/17 street tires and 2.0 60'...some drags radials I could bring that that down to to a 1.8..Im nowhere near full bolt ons. Im still running stock manifold, stock tb, stock pulley, stock cats, stock gears..but your cars still a rattle box and your dash is prob cracked in 8 places..
Old 07-21-2011 | 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I've said enough.
Old 07-21-2011 | 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

i swear its like two ally cats going at it. I say take it to the strip or some back road street, throw a few bills down, beat the sand out of your vaginas, and run them and put the bickering to an end!!!!!