Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang GT (5.0) HD Videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
It not bad at all for a stock shifter. It is soemwhat sloppy btu positioned good and the throws arent bad. Just remember 5th gear is 1:1 not 4th so your shifting a lot faster and 1-2nd are short as all hell. Thats why it takes some time to learn.

Weirdest thing about the trans to me is to get in reverse you push down on the shifter and then put itwhere first gear is.
it actually isn't where first is. Its down then left and up. Its on the left side of 1st gear.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 08-29-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
it actually isn't where first is. Its down then left and up. Its on the left side of 1st gear.

Yea thats basically what I meant, it feels like first to me just pushing down on the shifter before you go into what would normally feel like first. It doesnt really feel like it goes any further to the left then first.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man your friend can not drive what so ever, good runs but damn ,
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
man your friend can not drive what so ever, good runs but damn ,
He looked at this post this morning actually, and is glad to have received some "constructive criticism". I told him that some people on here are clamoring for a re-match. So maybe in a few weeks we'll go again, and you all will see the results that SHOULD have happened.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is to show that ALL Mustangs suck , jk I have respect for the new 5.0s.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

Yall should come down for ctc I was just up in meridian this past sat it'snot a bad drive.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
That's weird. That's sounds like what all the european cars that I have driven here. Including the trucks.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
That's weird. That's sounds like what all the european cars that I have driven here. Including the trucks.
The same people that make the tranny has made some other tranny's for BMW and other higher end cars.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by automach1
Yall should come down for ctc I was just up in meridian this past sat it'snot a bad drive.
What is CTC?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know how the TC is on the new mustangs but i can say for sure in my car when its been on and i left it on accidently it made a big difference with me. I went from loosing by 2-3 cars when it was on to being side by side when its off. Obvisously every car is different and the TC works a bit different as well as to how strong it kicks in but those new stangs are no joke and with the mods i have now can barely pull on a STOCK one.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by karpetcm
I dont know how the TC is on the new mustangs but i can say for sure in my car when its been on and i left it on accidently it made a big difference with me. I went from loosing by 2-3 cars when it was on to being side by side when its off. Obvisously every car is different and the TC works a bit different as well as to how strong it kicks in but those new stangs are no joke and with the mods i have now can barely pull on a STOCK one.
I'm sure the TC played a role in me beating him both times from a dig, but mostly I think it was his shifting. Even in the roll races, where the Mustang did beat me, I hung with him, my nose was aligned with his rear bumper.

Also someone else mentioned stability control or something was likely left on, which also decreases some power in the Mustang.

My friend says give him two more weeks and he'll be ready for a re-match.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

is this the same guy i said should choke himself? if it is, what is he waiting for? he'd lose to a dreaded TPI 305.

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm sure the TC played a role in me beating him both times from a dig, but mostly I think it was his shifting. Even in the roll races, where the Mustang did beat me, I hung with him, my nose was aligned with his rear bumper.

Also someone else mentioned stability control or something was likely left on, which also decreases some power in the Mustang.

My friend says give him two more weeks and he'll be ready for a re-match.
it doesnt decrease power any at all. it just intervenes on **** poor driving.

HE CANT DRIVE. he needs nanny's. lots of excuses out there. if stability control kicks in he will lose, thats a fact, but im tuned and it kicks in on me too. its a fact of life in new cars. ya gotta learn how to shift it without any engine braking. in other words let the clutch out and not have the throttle mashed already. its a 100percent ESC thing.

if he turns it off and races without practice he'll wreck both of you. IMO. 412 rear drive live axle hp is more than more FWD chevy's.

Last edited by assasinator; 08-29-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The driver wasn't the only responsible party for losing that race. The 5.0 left first everytime and got out in front. Sure it lost ground on the shifts, but you would think with all that super duper OMG 5.0 power that he would pull on an auto LS1 once in gear - too bad that didn't happen. I'm sure some Ford guy will chime in with an excuse of why it couldn't pull in gear. Things like 87 octane was used, or it didn't have 3.73s, or the floor mat was bunched up under the pedal...
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
What is CTC?
http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good runs, savor the wins for sure on your part, once he learns how to drive/launch it you're done with. sure he wasn't running 87 octane as well? lol i know TC is pretty noticeable on the 5th gens too when it is disabled.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look man, your cars are pretty evenly matched. All these guys saying he's gonna kill you etc etc are blowing hot air. You could have SLAUGHTERED him on every one of those races if you took off properly: you do know you are supposed to GO on the third honk right? NOT wait until after you honk to then hit the gas? Especially from a roll, you should have been manually holding 1st gear instead of hitting the gas late and then waiting for it to downshift.

Your laggard ways on the launch easily make up for your friends slow shifting. His 5.0 will slowly pull on you past probably 70mph but that's it- a very slow pull.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Restricted User

I ran times in sig with 89 octane
Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Day time vids for the win
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Look man, your cars are pretty evenly matched. All these guys saying he's gonna kill you etc etc are blowing hot air. You could have SLAUGHTERED him on every one of those races if you took off properly: you do know you are supposed to GO on the third honk right? NOT wait until after you honk to then hit the gas? Especially from a roll, you should have been manually holding 1st gear instead of hitting the gas late and then waiting for it to downshift.

Your laggard ways on the launch easily make up for your friends slow shifting. His 5.0 will slowly pull on you past probably 70mph but that's it- a very slow pull.
It was my first time honking holding the camera and launching, which in an auto isn't that hard to do, but it was my first time and I wasn't entirely ready. I know I launched late, almost a whole second after the honk actually, because on all 4 races he took off first. For the re-match I will try to hit the gas at the appropriate time.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
The driver wasn't the only responsible party for losing that race. The 5.0 left first everytime and got out in front. Sure it lost ground on the shifts, but you would think with all that super duper OMG 5.0 power that he would pull on an auto LS1 once in gear - too bad that didn't happen. I'm sure some Ford guy will chime in with an excuse of why it couldn't pull in gear. Things like 87 octane was used, or it didn't have 3.73s, or the floor mat was bunched up under the pedal...
He told me the Mustang has 3.73's and that he has been using premium gas, 91+. And yes, I know he left before me on all of the races, I always had a delayed launch, no good excuse for that. I guess that I didn't want to leave to quickly and anticipate the 3rd honk and jump the gun, but the opposite ended up happening and I left too late.

I'm pretty sure had we left at the same time that even on those roll races I would have stayed nose and nose with him. But like everyone is saying, once he learns to drive I won't be afforded that opportunity anymore. Oh well, still beat him twice, and hung with him pretty good two other times.

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang GT (5.0) HD Videos