Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran an Altima today....ha.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
Because everyone knows ETs have nothing to do with how a car will perform in the street....it's all in the trap.
I missed this... God you are stupid. I'm done with you.

Sm105, I would stop replying also... You aren't going to get anywhere.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with the trap speed being the "real" indicator of power/torque. Granted, traction is very important when racing from a dig. The time that is saved at the launch becomes evident at the end of the 1/8 (or 1/4). However, it shows itself in terms of ET but not trap speed.
Many things can be done to improve ETs however this does not mean that you increased trap speed. The only way to increase trap speed is to either add power in terms of Hp/torque or reduce weight. ETs can be greatly decreased by the addition of gear and tire but as already stated, will not increase trap.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
Because everyone knows ETs have nothing to do with how a car will perform in the street....it's all in the trap.
Say if we raced on the street. Say I trap 106, and you trap 110. If I leave you because I have better traction, and you do not catch me......then your trap doesn't mean dick. Your trap would only matter if you run 113+ and the whole time you are praying you come around me at the top. Traction means everything. That is why lesser cars can win on the street.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
I missed this... God you are stupid. I'm done with you.

Sm105, I would stop replying also... You aren't going to get anywhere.
Real mature there... Can't agree on something so we start calling others stupid. Doesnt make you look real smart.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SM105K
Say if we raced on the street. Say I trap 106, and you trap 110. If I leave you because I have better traction, and you do not catch me......then your trap doesn't mean dick. Your trap would only matter if you run 113+ and the whole time you are praying you come around me at the top. Traction means everything. That is why lesser cars can win on the street.
Well yea if you start giving people handicaps then you can always prove a point, like if a boxer fights a body builder, well if you tighten the boxes hands behind his back then the body builder will win, now all things being equal the boxer will win 9 out 10.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SM105K
I agree with you 100%. Your logic works with a race that has a finite end though. Your traction has simply given you the ability to hold off an opponent with more power. You are bascially hoping that the end will come before he comes by you.
Regardless, the fact that you reached the end is not an indication that you have more power. As I mentioned in the last thread, the true indicator of power is the trap speed. The ET can be decreased by gearing and tires(traction) however, if the race went longer, your opponent will come by you because his power to weight ratio is better than yours. In the end, you will still trap 106 and I will still be trapping 113mph.
This is why I stated before that the only way to increase trap speed is to either make more power or reduce weight. Trap speeds cannot be manipulated as ETs can therefore is is a better indicator of power.