Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT

On my way to work I took the scenic route through Mexico and while cruising through the fast lane I saw an 08ish Charger traveling down the slow lane. It was black and murdered out with limo tint all around. For once I didn't pay it any mind and kept on about my business. Well not ten seconds goes by after I pass the guy when he cruises up to my passenger side window. I looked over but couldn't see the guy at all, but he is posturing his car like he is looking for a fight so I must oblige

I manually shifted down to third and started slowing down. I could hear him down shift as well so I know it is on. I drop again down to second at around 57mph but he won't go any slower so I start to honk it off. 57mph is a little high for second but the hell with it. The second I was about to hit the third honk he jumps the horn. He started about a 1/4 car ahead of me to begin with before even taking the hit, and by 90ish he is 3/4s ahead of me. The Yeti seems to find her legs and I start pulling him in right before fourth gear. Once we hit 120 I am rolling on by and ended up putting nearly a car on him before shutting it down.

He rolled down his window and we congratulated each other on the good run. He asked me if my car was a G8 and what did i have done. I told him headers, tune and intake. He said his was an SRT8 that was stock. I don't know about stock considerinfg his car was louder than mine at WOT and as we were darting along at 65mph shooting the ****.

In any event he was a great sport and it was awesome to run an SRT8 down. Never done that before.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

nice kill, lame he wouldnt tell u his mods tho
Old 09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good run. Sounds like a typical bay area race lol. A car leaving on the 2nd honk and then claiming stock has bay area written all over it.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Srt8 are some heavy turds, I love when they run up. Knock on wood never had a loss to a chrysler yet. But most have been stock. I took one down recently he got it so bad he didNt stop to shoot the s#@t.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Yeti
On my way to work I took the scenic route through Mexico and while cruising through the fast lane I saw an 08ish Charger traveling down the slow lane. It was black and murdered out with limo tint all around. For once I didn't pay it any mind and kept on about my business. Well not ten seconds goes by after I pass the guy when he cruises up to my passenger side window. I looked over but couldn't see the guy at all, but he is posturing his car like he is looking for a fight so I must oblige

I manually shifted down to third and started slowing down. I could hear him down shift as well so I know it is on. I drop again down to second at around 57mph but he won't go any slower so I start to honk it off. 57mph is a little high for second but the hell with it. The second I was about to hit the third honk he jumps the horn. He started about a 1/4 car ahead of me to begin with before even taking the hit, and by 90ish he is 3/4s ahead of me. The Yeti seems to find her legs and I start pulling him in right before fourth gear. Once we hit 120 I am rolling on by and ended up putting nearly a car on him before shutting it down.

He rolled down his window and we congratulated each other on the good run. He asked me if my car was a G8 and what did i have done. I told him headers, tune and intake. He said his was an SRT8 that was stock. I don't know about stock considerinfg his car was louder than mine at WOT and as we were darting along at 65mph shooting the ****.

In any event he was a great sport and it was awesome to run an SRT8 down. Never done that before.

I've got a Magnum SRT8 for my daily driver, it's bone stock with exception of removal of the resonators. It sounds like it's modded because the the resonators have been removed so its very possible this guy's car was stock in my opinion. It runs a 13.4-.5 the way it sits on 20 inch wheels.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
nice kill, lame he wouldnt tell u his mods tho
Well if he didn't have mods before (yeah right) he will get them now. His "stock" car had a very nice exhaust note for a "stock" car.

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Good run. Sounds like a typical bay area race lol. A car leaving on the 2nd honk and then claiming stock has bay area written all over it.
Most cats don't even know what the hell is going on with the horns out here. I practically have to scream a damn tutorial to most of the ones I can get to roll down the window and set up the race...

Originally Posted by ls1ya
Srt8 are some heavy turds, I love when they run up. Knock on wood never had a loss to a chrysler yet. But most have been stock. I took one down recently he got it so bad he didNt stop to shoot the s#@t.
They weigh almost 200lbs more than a G8. I don't know about him, but I had 3/4 of a tank of gas, and two heavy *** 12's in a speaker box in the trunk. Should offset the weight difference a tad. Also doesn't hurt that a stock SRT8 has more RWHP than my bolt on G8. It is a good thing Dyno numbers can't stop you from getting your *** handed to you in a race though...

Originally Posted by Kimura
I've got a Magnum SRT8 for my daily driver, it's bone stock with exception of removal of the resonators. It sounds like it's modded because the the resonators have been removed so its very possible this guy's car was stock in my opinion. It runs a 13.4-.5 the way it sits on 20 inch wheels.
That is a good point about the resonators. I have a friend how did a rear muffler delete on his stock SRT8 and it was really loud. We raced before and I put a few cars on him so who knows. I've raced a bunch of 300 SRTs and Charger SRTs in the last two years but never once a Magnum. Hell I think I've only seen two ever!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Yeti
That is a good point about the resonators. I have a friend how did a rear muffler delete on his stock SRT8 and it was really loud. We raced before and I put a few cars on him so who knows. I've raced a bunch of 300 SRTs and Charger SRTs in the last two years but never once a Magnum. Hell I think I've only seen two ever!
Yeah, the Magnum SRT8's are pretty rare, I've never seen another one in Inferno Red like mine either.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

personally i dont see how a "stock" srt8 keeps up with u from a roll yet u've beat modded ones. he was prolly just mad he picked on u then lost so said he was stock
Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Teching In

personally i dont see how a "stock" srt8 keeps up with u from a roll yet u've beat modded ones. he was prolly just mad he picked on u then lost so said he was stock
Good point. Or maybe he has a factory freak car. Realistically I think that if he doesn't take the hit, I pull him by a car and a half.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Teching In

My SRT8 will smoke our modded Mach I from a roll. The SRT8's run really well, just accept it. lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

accept wat lol? hes ran very close with a cam'd srt8 for a while then it pulled him up top and hes beat other modded ones. wat does a mach1 have to do with either of these cars lol
Old 09-10-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree... The yeti has pulled plenty of srt8's to know if one was stock or not.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Teching In

accept wat lol? hes ran very close with a cam'd srt8 for a while then it pulled him up top and hes beat other modded ones. wat does a mach1 have to do with either of these cars lol
Just a comparison is all that SRT8's run well for big heavy cars.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

NIce Kill. I don't he was bone stock.

When My G8 was bolt ons I raced plenty of SRT8's. Only charger that beat me was a supercharged one. Raced him at the track and on t he street. On the street from a 30ish roll to about 120 he had about 1.5 cars. He said he was only making about 6psi. At the track he ran a 12.5 to my 12.6. Never got to race any cammed ones. But other bolt on ones never hung well with the G8.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

they may run good but i'd put money on him beating a bone stock one dig or roll. modded i can see it being close like this
Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Nice kill !!! I had the jeep srt-8 by far I think its the fastest art!!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

they may run good but i'd put money on him beating a bone stock one dig or roll. modded i can see it being close like this
In a perfect world maybe, but in the real world you never know. There is alot of things to take into account, conditions, traction or lack of, drivers ability is always a big one too. How many times have you been to the track and seen a fast car like a Viper or something run a 13 second pass? No traction and a lousy driver can really change the behavior of a typically fast car. That's all I'm saying.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Just a comparison is all that SRT8's run well for big heavy cars.
I agree, they move well for a big car. And there are some insanely fast ones out there that people have built.

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
NIce Kill. I don't he was bone stock.

When My G8 was bolt ons I raced plenty of SRT8's. Only charger that beat me was a supercharged one. Raced him at the track and on t he street. On the street from a 30ish roll to about 120 he had about 1.5 cars. He said he was only making about 6psi. At the track he ran a 12.5 to my 12.6. Never got to race any cammed ones. But other bolt on ones never hung well with the G8.
You had an insane G8 btw.

I'd put that money on me too lol.

In a perfect world maybe, but in the real world you never know. There is alot of things to take into account, conditions, traction or lack of, drivers ability is always a big one too. How many times have you been to the track and seen a fast car like a Viper or something run a 13 second pass? No traction and a lousy driver can really change the behavior of a typically fast car. That's all I'm saying.
I feel you. Not all drivers are built the same. Also when you have cars that have completely different gearing, like an SRT8 5 speed vs the G8's 6 speed, it is difficult to find a speed to roll race from where both cars are in there sweet spot. You take two pretty evenly matched cars, but one guy knows where his power band is and the other doesn't and you can bet the guy more comfortable with what his can can do will win.

As far as SRT8's go, I have three friends that own them and we have run em more times than I can count. I have also ran faster than every bolt on/non converter SRT8 I have encountered at infineon. I am a Mopar fan. I respect those cars a lot. It is realistically the only real good match up for my four door grocery getter. Trying to chase down 4th gen Camaros and Cobras gets old when your car weighs 500lbs more.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Nice Kill, of course Being a SRT8 owner I have had a different experience. If the SRT8 and the G8 are both stock the G8 can kiss it goodbye it will lose by 2-3 Cars. With your mods you should be able to beat "most" stock SRT8s but not all if your running 12.80's. If both have bolt ons the SRT8 has the advantage. I trap 3 mph more on 22's then any bolt on G8 ive seen at our track. So to each their own
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1ya
I asked you in your other thread what do you drive?

Quick Reply: Killed a Charger SRT8 in my G8 GT