Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah whoever said a cam swap for 300 is full of it,i have not bought a cam in awhile but i think its what 365 range just for the cam,then the rest of the parts gaskets,springs,pushrods,oil pump,chain , tune,etc, yeah good luck with 300 lol even 500 doing it yourself is bs but as you stated that was pretty much cam,and springs,half assed lol ,sure i spent close to 7 on parts,it was a while ago ,but with a dyno tune your looking at more than that ,but it sounds like your a mail in tune kind of guy lol, agree a decent cam,tires,and a good driver should put a hurtin on a lightly modded 5.0.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Captain Double Post

sorry i just dont want a new member to read that and think thats all it cost , not taking shots at anyone,that was just kind of bad info to put out there,kinda like stock ls1s crushing new 5.0s lol
Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
No he didn't race a stock one. It had the above. Least you had admit what it would take.

HAHA Can't let OP run his own runs. ANd We have some other mustangs that will gladly run whatever you want. But I don't want to hear oh well you brought a FI car.

Matter fact one just got done being built that will run. On the street or the track. Just a little 03 Termi Cobra. And what you bring better run least 8's.
Wow! You have a friend that runs 8's?... I wish I could be as cool as you. Go take your meds and calm down!

OP, nice race!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Wow! You have a friend that runs 8's?... I wish I could be as cool as you. Go take your meds and calm down!

OP, nice race!
EWW MEDS!

And actually yes it is a daily driven 03 Termi. Just rebuilt. He was running lower and mid 10's and it wasn't enough. He wanted lots more. Best pass so far with still tuning it in with the spray is 8.8. Off spray and just blower it went mid 9's. He also has a turbo'd notch back he is doing. Should be done in a couple weeks. He picked it up from another friend. Car has went low 10's but he plans on it going faster and making it a track only car.

The guy fly's Apaches and has a need for speed. With anything he drives.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
yeah whoever said a cam swap for 300 is full of it,i have not bought a cam in awhile but i think its what 365 range just for the cam,then the rest of the parts gaskets,springs,pushrods,oil pump,chain , tune,etc, yeah good luck with 300 lol even 500 doing it yourself is bs but as you stated that was pretty much cam,and springs,half assed lol ,sure i spent close to 7 on parts,it was a while ago ,but with a dyno tune your looking at more than that ,but it sounds like your a mail in tune kind of guy lol, agree a decent cam,tires,and a good driver should put a hurtin on a lightly modded 5.0.
Bob, 300-400 for the cam ok ...........all I was saying is that it could be done with out springs if you can turn tools all of the rest of the stuff like pump chain ect... You don't have to have it can be done ..... Is it the best way ? No but I had friend who did as I described above and the car was a blast and it ran like a raped ape for years. If I remember he did buy some used push rods and had the car tuned. It would beat stock 03 cobras badly.

ps my car already has an F1 procharger
Old 09-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Captain Double Post

that wasnt a shot at you what so ever bud, if it came off that way my bad, but i do hate you for having a f1 under your hood lol, im really going to try and get a procharger together for next year, its the goal anyway lol, if you ever head up north hit me up would love to check out the ride, i have only been down by cinnci a handful of times,
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2foryou
Bob, 300-400 for the cam ok ...........all I was saying is that it could be done with out springs if you can turn tools all of the rest of the stuff like pump chain ect... You don't have to have it can be done ..... Is it the best way ? No but I had friend who did as I described above and the car was a blast and it ran like a raped ape for years. If I remember he did buy some used push rods and had the car tuned. It would beat stock 03 cobras badly.

ps my car already has an F1 procharger
Agree with Bob above. I hate you..lol..

I wonder if I should have said **** N/A and just got a blower.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Ohio...I went down that road with my MACH and other cars that I owned in the past. Just be happy with what you have because you will ALWAYS run into someone faster no matter what you do to your ride...then, those mods won't be enough either. It is like a cat trying to chase its tail.

You have a heck of a fast ride already that will beat a good percentage of cars on the road anyway. Just smile and be proud it.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Teching In

it's a sickness we have. we all want what we don't have turbo blower na ect
I started out with an na car and loved it then I bought a turbo car and loved it then bought the F1 z06 and I love it to... so it all about the mood I guess Na will last longer IMO If you have a fast na car they are blast. i still have my turbo car to but number seven went down over 5 dollar hob switch: but life goes on and I should have the new engine back in soon. but now I want an na car again lol..... Ohio .......I have not looked at a mustang magazine in ten years and I
bought one at kroger Dam you!!! I'm a GM guy but my curiosity got the best of me lol. I must say the new five o is a nice car. it looks like a lot of new **** is on the way for em I would keep it na and drive the hell out it.... you car looks tuff .....

Bob I understand i hope you did not think I took it the wrong way. I see your point tho. what part of Ohio u in ? you should go to Indy for the shoot out it's going to be bad ***. I hope to have my turbo car ready by that time but you know how things go. i met a guy named lemons or something that's on here at the ls fest in bg and he saw my F1 Z and said it sounds like the gates of hell are opening to suck you in lol. I got a kick out of that ..... so that alone is worth getting the procharger.... but turbo cars make the torque man.....
they just move out like a rocket ship. I would say at this time do a turbo for the win.

ps thanks for hating me lol
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivers equal manual to manual it will take you a cam plus bolt ons to beat a basically full bolt on 5.0. Sorry. https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...hioborn80.html[/QUOTE]

Nope a 100 shot, bolt on six speed will walk on a 5.0. No need for a cam

Those 5.0 are nasty , Seen one run 11.60 with boltons, gears, exhaust and a 75 shot. It was an auto tho.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING

Drivers equal manual to manual it will take you a cam plus bolt ons to beat a basically full bolt on 5.0. Sorry. https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...hioborn80.html
Nope a 100 shot, bolt on six speed will walk on a 5.0. No need for a cam

Those 5.0 are nasty , Seen one run 11.60 with boltons, gears, exhaust and a 75 shot. It was an auto tho.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad run. Taking it he didn't have a stall yet? Any idea what gear he had. The auto's seem to love 4.30 gears even with a good size stall.

And cam 100 shot all the same...
Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Teching In

NIce runs. But I can honestly say if he has them mods as in full exhaust ie Long tube headers back it is not a drivers race with a cat back/lid 99 SS. From the dig his biggest issue is launching the manual. Its a no go on street tires.

I have the mods he has minus gears., I have steeper. But I raced a full bolt on WS6 that had some weight reduction also. Both on DR's and destroyed him. He posted it here as well. He asked me to run here.

Drivers equal manual to manual it will take you a cam plus bolt ons to beat a basically full bolt on 5.0. Sorry.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...hioborn80.html

Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Captain Double Post

i live in elyria,its up north, you know im really going to try to go to the indy one, ohio i wish i would have started with a blower as well like right from the start lol,live and learn, i had a pro charged 94 gt, was my first well at the time fast car, i miss that car alot, was just such a fun car and never had any issues.and a f1 z ,**** i would drive to indy just for a ride in that lol , ok guys well someone start some **** ,5.0 kills have to make 20 pages, i will say i saw a modded 5.0 on the highway on the way home from work ,i was in the work truck like always , i never see anything when im in my car , but once in a blue moon, i told him to hit it,he did and i thought of this thread,just thinking stock ls1 car lol ok,yes modded but more than likely a few bolt ons and exhaust,

Quick Reply: Raced a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.