TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it me or did that just seem slow.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SStheBest
is it me or did that just seem slow.
6000ft altitude. Bring your Z06 up here and it'll only run 12s probably. NA cars suffer BAD.

Here's some cars running at the track I normally run at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhL_t6Cf4cE

Here's my Cobalt SS/TC running this last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxrnQYCb-KY

13.8 @ 103 is good enough to beat all of the following cars that are stock/close to stock at this altitude:
- New Camaro SS
- C6 Vette
- LS1 F-Body
- LS1 Vette
- S197 Mustang
- Any SRT-8 Dodge
- Lightning
- New M5/M3s
- Evo / STi

The altitude has less effect on the loss of power on forced induction cars. Plus, GMs ECM architechture on the Cobalt Turbos is designed to try and compensate for altitude changes to a point. My car spikes 25psi and holds about 23psi depending on the temperature. You can't buy a faster car that's less than 5 years old for less money than a Cobalt SS/TC if you live at 3000+ feet elevation.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH32V
Does'nt anyone race from a dig anymore?
I wish they did. Hell it's hard to find rwd v8 cars to go from a dig, they want to roll race to.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

**** roll racing. I have a stalled auto for a reason. I love yanking people out of the hole.

Of course I love yanking them out the hole with my M6 too
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

bandi!!!!

i hated all the damn f/i cars that ran like crazy while my cammed z ran low 13 and modded evo's were rippin 12's!

wish i had my cobalt when i was out there
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP- Come over by Gillette at all? I haven't ran a Cobalt SS yet other then a couple with exhaust...really wanna see how they move out.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know there's a gaggle of rednecks on a diesel forum somewhere losing their ******* minds over that duramax "hanging with" a ZR1....
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregrob
You know there's a gaggle of rednecks on a diesel forum somewhere losing their ******* minds over that duramax "hanging with" a ZR1....
Trust me I know all about that ****, there's quite the crowd of rednecks that own diesels here in town....I'm not sure what thrills them more black smoke or 4wd boosted launches
Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I wish they did. Hell it's hard to find rwd v8 cars to go from a dig, they want to roll race to.
I know...that ricer mentality even spread over to the RWD American V8 owners...Sad.
I am in the same boat...axles, gears, two-step and DRs (everyday tire) and for what. Asking for a dig race makes people look at you like you're fked up or something.

It just comes down to that is easier to roll race and show off your RWHP. No body has to worry about setting up the suspension so the HP can be planted or driving the car with some skill. All the money goes into making Hp.

Oh well...that is the new street racing
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Asking for a dig race makes people look at you like you're fked up or something.
Its true, I said the word dig once to some one and they were like "huh?" I was like, ya know from a stop. They looked at me like I had 4 heads.... lol

~edit~ The most fun for me is the first 5 seconds, cause my lt1 is slow lol
Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

I know...that ricer mentality even spread over to the RWD American V8 owners...Sad.
I am in the same boat...axles, gears, two-step and DRs (everyday tire) and for what. Asking for a dig race makes people look at you like you're fked up or something.

It just comes down to that is easier to roll race and show off your RWHP. No body has to worry about setting up the suspension so the HP can be planted or driving the car with some skill. All the money goes into making Hp.

I hate roll racing. I try to avoid it at all costs. However, it was the dig race on Saturday night that hurt my clutch.....damn.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I guess the problem ends up being a good dig set-up makes for a crappy handleing street car overall. Most guys would rather race dyno's these days. I like a dig because it puts the driver element back in the run......you must feel the force and become one with car...lol
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a little 50-75 of nitrous will even out any alttitude advantage FI has.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if you let it be... I'll give someone their low mph roll if they give me my dig. It takes a lot for me to even agree to that however, if someone wants to run me its MY race, if I'm nice enough (or if they were cool enough), I'll give them their race. If I ask someone to run, I ask for my race but I have to do their race.
Don't call someone out unless you are ready to run whatever race they might want.

If they won't do it, I move on. Roll racing is for the birds. Roll racing shows absolutely nothing about what the car is capable of, as well as the driver.. Absolutely pointless. Lets just accelerate real quick next to each other.