Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Second Degree Murder of an NSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
IMO if it's not Italian, its not exotic.
Not even this? Porsche 918

...if I only had a cool 900K burning a hole in my pocket.

Oh, and food for thought, given that this is LS1tech: LS1 NSX

Last edited by 1981TA; 09-30-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Acura could more than hold its own against many exotics when it came out. Even through the May 1992 Road And Track Test Summary, here is how it still stacked up:

CAR.......0-60mph........1/4 Mile

Acura NSX.....5.7sec.......14.0 sec...168mph top speed.
BMW M3.......7.1 sec......15.4 sec
BMW M5.......6.4 sec......15.0 sec
Camaro Z28.6.7 sec.......15.2 sec...140mph top speed.
Vette L98 ....6.2 sec...... 14.8 sec
Vette LT1.....5.7 sec.......14.1 sec....163mph top speed.
Ferrari 348tb.6.6sec........15.0 sec
Testarossa.. 6.2 sec........14.2 sec
Mondial.cab..6.6 sec........15.0 sec
Mustang LX..7.1 sec.........15.5 sec
Carrera 2....5.4 sec...........14.0sec
300ZX TT.....6.5sec..........15.0 sec
Supra Turbo.6.6sec...........15.2 sec

Remember, we are talking about performance 20yrs ago. The Acura was definitely an exotic back then. But to talk about racing one now...you are talking about a car with less HP than your average Acura TL/Infiniti G37/BMW 335i four door family sedan!
Attached Thumbnails Second Degree Murder of an NSX-cimg9991.jpg   Second Degree Murder of an NSX-cimg9992.jpg   Second Degree Murder of an NSX-cimg9993.jpg   Second Degree Murder of an NSX-cimg9994.jpg   Second Degree Murder of an NSX-cimg9995.jpg  

Second Degree Murder of an NSX-cimg9998.jpg  
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Exotics also don't have their merit defined by 1/4 mile times.
Yes, they ARE defined by there power. Or more accurately, there power and handling put into a very exotic looking body and sold in limited numbers. But without the power equation, what are you left with? A Lotus with a Acura emblem on it?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 AM
***Repost Police***

Absolutely. While the car definitely could have used a major update late in life, it doesn't make it less of a great car. I doubt Honda had any plans to make it that long. Hell, the S2000 was supposed to be a one year car.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Yes, they ARE defined by there power. Or more accurately, there power and handling put into a very exotic looking body and sold in limited numbers. But without the power equation, what are you left with? A Lotus with a Acura emblem on it?
You're acting like it was a slow car. Starting in '97 it ran basically dead even in a straight line with a Corvette, and decimated it in handling. It was slower than the ZR1 in a straight line before that, but around a track it went toe to toe with the best. And exotics' performance is judged by how it performs around a track with turns. The NSX was the CBR600 of the sports car world.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Restricted User

IMO the only exotic back than was a Mclaren F1. Those things were ******* crazy and are still crazy today.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by z99ls1
IMO the only exotic back than was a Mclaren F1. Those things were ******* crazy and are still crazy today.
Yeah, **** the Ferrari 348, 355, and the Testarossa. And the Lamborghini Countach. And the Lotus Espirit Turbo. And the 911 Turbo. I swear man, you say some retarded stuff sometimes.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Restricted User

Yeah, **** the Ferrari 348, 355, and the Testarossa. And the Lamborghini Countach. And the Lotus Espirit Turbo. And the 911 Turbo. I swear man, you say some retarded stuff sometimes.
HA! and all the cars you just mentioned get blown away by the MCLAREN F1
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 AM
***Repost Police***

...so?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Restricted User

So my point is it is a much more badass car than any you mentioned. And still compets with exotics of today! I'm sorry, but if the power isn't there it is not an exotic car to me. It's an overpriced good looking car with **** power.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 AM
***Repost Police***

And how does that make it "the only exotic?" Can there only be one per year? Is there a quota I don't know about?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Teching In

You have to remember the NSX came out over 20 yrs ago, and marched on with hardly any updates from the original model.

Some interesting info from Wikipedia on the NSX:

Regarding the Mclaren F1:

"Honda's breakthrough engineering in the NSX was a major contributor to the design of the McLaren F1 as mentioned in an interview with McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray (translated from original Japanese into English).[22] "The moment I drove the NSX, all the benchmark cars—Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini—I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target." The NSX was marketed as the first "Everyday Supercar" thanks in part to its ease of use, quality and reliability. Murray himself remained an NSX owner for 7 years."

Some innovative technology:

"The Japanese car maker's race track innovations and competitive history were further exemplified on the road by the NSX's ultra-rigid, ultra-light all aluminium monocoque chassis and front and rear double wishbone suspension, with forged control arms connected to forged alloy wheels. The car additionally boasted the world's first production car engine with titanium connecting rods, forged pistons, and ultra high-revving capabilities — the redline was at a lofty 8,000 rpm - all traits usually associated with track and race engineered motor cars. The NSX exterior had a dedicated 23-step paint process, including an aircraft type chromate coating designed for chemically protecting the aluminium bodywork and a waterborne paint for the base coat to achieve a clearer, more vivid top color and a smoother surface finish."

As fast as a Ferrari 360 Stradale around the Nurbering, despite being down by 100hp:

"The 3.2L DOHC V6 engine received special attention as well. Each NSX-R engine was hand assembled by a skilled technician using techniques normally reserved for racing programs. Components of the rotating assembly (pistons, rods and crank) were precision weighed and matched so that all components fell within a very small tolerance of weight differential. Then, the entire rotating assembly was balanced to a level of accuracy ten times that of a typical NSX engine. This balancing and blueprinting process significantly reduced parasitic loss of power due to inertial imbalance, resulting in a more powerful, free-revving powerplant with excellent throttle response. Officially, Honda maintains that the power output of the Second-Gen NSX-R engine is 290 bhp (220 kW), which is identical to the stock NSX. The automotive press, however, has long speculated that the true output of the engine is higher.

The result of Honda's second NSX-R effort was a vehicle that could challenge the latest sports car models on the track, despite having a base design that was more than 15 years old. For example, noted Japanese race and test driver Motoharu Kurosawa piloted a 2003 NSX-R around the legendary Nurburgring road course in 7:56, a time equal to a Ferrari F360 Challenge Stradale.[13] The NSX-R accomplished this feat despite being out-powered by the Ferrari by over 100 bhp (75 kW)."

For the uneducated, this is just another Honda. I just researched this information tonight, and can't help but have newfound respect for the NSX.
Clearly, this car has a lot more to it than straight line speed, and is legendary in the realm of automotive history...Owned by automotive legends who could drive any car they desire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSX
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 AM
***Repost Police***

Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Launching!

Actually the 91 nsx's were 50k but all sold for 100k. They sold so well that the 92s base price was 60k. By 95 they were in the 70s. Honda made a hell of a lot of money off a car they origionally planned to sell for 50k.. Probally why they never changed anything.

With the porshe argument. To me you got 15 models rangeing from 50k boxers to 400k gt's. Thing is they all look basically the same much like a 45k 2005 ls2 c6 and a 120k 2012 zr1.

Nsx is simply the nsx is simply the nsx.

For performance a 91 nsx ran a 13.8 around 103 mph. Compare that go the zr1s 13.3 or vipers 12.9 and it was a damn fast car.

As far as only italions being exotic. Well to me a nsx and viper is bottom of the barrel entry level exotic and a f430 or gallardo blows them away. But then again a ford gt isnt italion but is much rarer than the gallardo and 430. It also is more visually stunning to me than either wich is subjective. However whats not subjective is the fact that a salvage title rebuild 05 fgt is worth more money than a clean title 05 gallardo. And a clean title fgt is worth more than a clean f430.

Not italion at all. But **** its doors even open the right way compared to the entry level italions.

This ***** so funny. What if your boys told you an exotic dancer was comin over. But when she showed up she was a hot *** white chick from florida. Would she just be a superfine stripper instead of exotic?

Now put that same stripper over in Iraq to dance for the newest 16 year old prince of oil. She an exotic dancer now?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hotrod182
You have to remember the NSX came out over 20 yrs ago, and marched on with hardly any updates from the original model.

Some interesting info from Wikipedia on the NSX:

Regarding the Mclaren F1:

"Honda's breakthrough engineering in the NSX was a major contributor to the design of the McLaren F1 as mentioned in an interview with McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray (translated from original Japanese into English).[22] "The moment I drove the NSX, all the benchmark cars—Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini—I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target." The NSX was marketed as the first "Everyday Supercar" thanks in part to its ease of use, quality and reliability. Murray himself remained an NSX owner for 7 years."

Some innovative technology:

"The Japanese car maker's race track innovations and competitive history were further exemplified on the road by the NSX's ultra-rigid, ultra-light all aluminium monocoque chassis and front and rear double wishbone suspension, with forged control arms connected to forged alloy wheels. The car additionally boasted the world's first production car engine with titanium connecting rods, forged pistons, and ultra high-revving capabilities — the redline was at a lofty 8,000 rpm - all traits usually associated with track and race engineered motor cars. The NSX exterior had a dedicated 23-step paint process, including an aircraft type chromate coating designed for chemically protecting the aluminium bodywork and a waterborne paint for the base coat to achieve a clearer, more vivid top color and a smoother surface finish."

As fast as a Ferrari 360 Stradale around the Nurbering, despite being down by 100hp:

"The 3.2L DOHC V6 engine received special attention as well. Each NSX-R engine was hand assembled by a skilled technician using techniques normally reserved for racing programs. Components of the rotating assembly (pistons, rods and crank) were precision weighed and matched so that all components fell within a very small tolerance of weight differential. Then, the entire rotating assembly was balanced to a level of accuracy ten times that of a typical NSX engine. This balancing and blueprinting process significantly reduced parasitic loss of power due to inertial imbalance, resulting in a more powerful, free-revving powerplant with excellent throttle response. Officially, Honda maintains that the power output of the Second-Gen NSX-R engine is 290 bhp (220 kW), which is identical to the stock NSX. The automotive press, however, has long speculated that the true output of the engine is higher.

The result of Honda's second NSX-R effort was a vehicle that could challenge the latest sports car models on the track, despite having a base design that was more than 15 years old. For example, noted Japanese race and test driver Motoharu Kurosawa piloted a 2003 NSX-R around the legendary Nurburgring road course in 7:56, a time equal to a Ferrari F360 Challenge Stradale.[13] The NSX-R accomplished this feat despite being out-powered by the Ferrari by over 100 bhp (75 kW)."

For the uneducated, this is just another Honda. I just researched this information tonight, and can't help but have newfound respect for the NSX.
Clearly, this car has a lot more to it than straight line speed, and is legendary in the realm of automotive history...Owned by automotive legends who could drive any car they desire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSX

Brilliant. Car has some serious history. How many cars were desighned from the ground up by a famous race car driver?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

You're acting like it was a slow car. Starting in '97 it ran basically dead even in a straight line with a Corvette, and decimated it in handling. It was slower than the ZR1 in a straight line before that, but around a track it went toe to toe with the best. And exotics' performance is judged by how it performs around a track with turns. The NSX was the CBR600 of the sports car world.
Okay, youre saying this like a corvette in 1992 was supposed to be a turn of the century design like this NSX was? But it wasnt, so who cares if it was even in a straight line, and "decimated" it in handling.. and are you seriously suggesting, that this NSX, a 290bhp honda, could keep up with a Lambo? a Ferrari? actual EXOTICs, BUILT for the the track?

So my point is it is a much more badass car than any you mentioned. And still compets with exotics of today! I'm sorry, but if the power isn't there it is not an exotic car to me. It's an overpriced good looking car with **** power.
What do you mean competes? lol it still ****** destroys the exotics of today, except for the big time super cars haha
Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
***Repost Police***

When the NSX was released, it was one of the fastest cars around a track that money could buy. But as everyone has said, it did fall down the ranks as time went on.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

So the only exotic of today is a Bugatti SS. Since it is the fastest car produced. And its *** rapes the F1. Only car close to it is The Ultimate Aero SSC 1 and 2.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

When the NSX was released, it was one of the fastest cars around a track that money could buy. But as everyone has said, it did fall down the ranks as time went on.

that money could buy??? if youre going to say 80-90k is "fastest money could buy" then **** you might as well have bought a countach, or a 355, or a testerossa, theyre all fast around a track and Im sure they accept money as a payment... plus, theyre better looking, better sounding, better driving, and a better brand.

Im not saying the NSX wasnt innovative, but there are plenty more cars at that time that were doing MUCH better than the NSX without being pointlessly innovative like honda did with NSX. Honestly, so what, v-tec was introduced with that pos, now look what it caused... lol

I guess if it wasnt for the NSX we wouldnt have ricers these days?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by hendrixx
that money could buy??? if youre going to say 80-90k is "fastest money could buy" then **** you might as well have bought a countach, or a 355, or a testerossa, theyre all fast around a track and Im sure they accept money as a payment... plus, theyre better looking, better sounding, better driving, and a better brand.

Im not saying the NSX wasnt innovative, but there are plenty more cars at that time that were doing MUCH better than the NSX without being pointlessly innovative like honda did with NSX. Honestly, so what, v-tec was introduced with that pos, now look what it caused... lol

I guess if it wasnt for the NSX we wouldnt have ricers these days?
Pay attention. I didn't say best... I said fastest around a track. And Honda isn't the only manufacturer that uses electronic variable valve timing.

Quick Reply: Second Degree Murder of an NSX